PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Civilizations Diplomacy Poll

Lucjan
03-04-2007, 19:56
This thread has been opened for Rise of Civilizations to determine the availability of diplomatic deals as public knowledge.

Please, only players should participate in this poll.

Lord Winter
03-04-2007, 20:12
I think we need to keep any diplomacy, unless if the two players agree to annoucne it secret. It will add to the clock and dagger aspect of the game, in the regards of backstabings secret allinances ect...

Stig
03-04-2007, 20:20
I'd say this:
If you want it to be know let it know. (For example two superpowers can say, if you attack any of us we will both attack you)
If you don't want it to be know don't tell us.

UltraWar
03-04-2007, 20:47
I personally think that you should only know of diplomacy of neighbours. If Agents could be used, they would also bring back news.

Lucjan
03-05-2007, 01:59
Bumping this to make sure our players dont miss it.

CountArach
03-05-2007, 06:17
I went with all deals. For people like me with pirating, I may be at war with many people at a time and may like to know what I am getting into.

sapi
03-05-2007, 09:13
I strongly believe that no alliances should be announced publicly against the wishes of the signatories.

Remember, no one but those who sign the treaty would know of it, and so who would leak the news if both wanted it secret?

pevergreen
03-05-2007, 09:19
Soldiers. Makes it more fun if everyone knows. Did something like this (less complicated) over at the RTR forums, made it a lot of fun when everyone knew diplomacy.

sapi
03-05-2007, 09:32
Diplomacy is far better when it's private, imo.

It actually provides a deterrant when you don't know how many people player x has backing him up if you attack.

Lucjan
03-05-2007, 09:37
Well, we've got 18 players and only 13 votes, so there's still 5 voices to be heard.

In the event of a tie between the "know everything" and "know a little" groups, we'll go with knowing the immediate neighbors and dishonorably broken deals, it seems like the best compromise. Peacably negated treaties will be kept a secret except to neighbors, who will be told of the peaceful, mutual break.

Sapi, if we end up going with that, if it makes you feel any better, the only actual neighbor you'll have any time soon is me, and I know all your deals anyway because I'm running the game. :laugh4: And since you otherwise don't have any close neighbors, there's nobody that'd be the wiser to all of your deals. Maybe one or two with far off distant friends, but you've got, possibly, the most secretive spot on the map.

pevergreen
03-05-2007, 09:40
Did you get my question PM Lucjan?

sapi
03-05-2007, 09:44
@Lucjan - when you put it like that i see what you mean :laugh4:

Lucjan
03-05-2007, 09:52
sapi :beam:

pevergreen Yeah I responded.

Stig
03-05-2007, 13:34
Well, we've got 18 players and only 13 votes, so there's still 5 voices to be heard.
I haven't voted, for the simple reason my option isn't in. Therefore I don't care which option we get

HughTower
03-05-2007, 16:54
I feel that all diplomacy should be kept secret, otherwise we're just playing a boardgame. People can use that information how they want.

And, CountA, your piracy gig is all about secrecy & backstabbing, & you've just voted to make diplomacy transparent? Why would I make a deal with you if everyone was going to know about it? Or, are your deals excluded from this transparency? Which if you think about it, isn't very fair now, is it?

Knowledge is power, after all.

Stig - surely, your option is the last one? I.e. reporting diplomatic actions is voluntary, rather than compulsory.

Faust|
03-05-2007, 18:06
I would have to strongly push for the third or fourth option. It's too bad that they're split in the poll. I think inter-player communication will provide plenty of info on alliances.

Caius
03-05-2007, 19:12
Players should know all diplomatic deals.

That I voted, its not fair Lucjan know everything

Lucjan
03-05-2007, 20:59
Players should know all diplomatic deals.

That I voted, its not fair Lucjan know everything

Caius brings up something I hadn't thought about before.

If we end up going with players not knowing anything - then the only treaties that would have to go through me would be trade agreements (I still need to know these to work out trade income).

The others could fly under my radar and not affect gameplay unless willingly made public.

This, to me, is a compelling argument, as it puts out a political fog of war that everybody, including myself, has to work through on their own.

CountArach
03-06-2007, 06:55
I like the sound of that.

How about only Trade Rights are made public, so that everyone is on an equal footing?

Ignoramus
03-06-2007, 07:01
But surely you would hear about other wars though? I mean, the Scots would soon hear if France was fighting England.

I would prefer neighbouring countries to hear of your deals. It makes sense, as espionage was not uncommon.

HughTower
03-06-2007, 11:33
I think a news digest of wars & trade would be good. You would use it to work out who was working with whom (without being absolutely sure).

All other deals should be kept between the parties involved.

sapi
03-06-2007, 11:41
If we go with the first option, I can see certain factions (for example my Russia) actively keeping everyone up to date on their internal and external affairs.

Lucjan
03-06-2007, 14:58
Perhaps common sense should be the order of the day?

As HughTower has suggested, a news digest I could put together detailing obvious things like trade agreements, outbreaks of war, mass army movements and settlement sackings/exterminations etc.

Let everyone figure out alliances and NAPs for themselves.

CountArach
03-07-2007, 03:36

As HughTower has suggested, a news digest I could put together detailing obvious things like trade agreements, outbreaks of war, mass army movements and settlement sackings/exterminations etc.

I like this one. I change my vote from #1 to this.

Seamus Fermanagh
03-07-2007, 03:44

Concur.

pevergreen
03-07-2007, 04:48
Happy to go with this.

Ignoramus
03-07-2007, 05:53
Likewise.

sapi
03-07-2007, 12:16
A good comprimise :yes:

Lucjan
03-07-2007, 14:49
Great then, since it seems like the warring factions have come to a compromise, I'll go make the announcement in the regular thread. :beam:

HughTower
03-07-2007, 16:01
Grrrr.... I hate it when peace breaks out.

:smg::hmg:

is much more fun than

:gathering: