PDA

View Full Version : Baktrian Campaign Advice

shlin28
03-09-2007, 17:26
I really need some help on my Baktrian campaign, so if anyone has any suggestions tell me!

When i tried to take a rebel city with my only army, my ally Saka approached one of my towns, so i raced back to that town, and then the Sakas left! Then the Selucid sent a small army near Baktra, so my army has to go there. And then the army left!

Who should i attack? the Saka, selucid empire or parthia. the saka and the empire are allied to me and each other. the best choice would be to attack Parthia, but if i sent my only army there i wont have anyone to defend my own land.

keravnos
03-09-2007, 18:12
When the game starts, go for Kophen with the army that your faction leader has. Then, after it is down, and DON'T STORM IT, wait them out, do not kill the residents or enslave them. Instead, use the first option and just take their cash :laugh4: Kophen is a home province after all.Then take that army -guard and head back to Baktra. Rearm-Regroup and if possible make a second army. This one will guard Baktra when you go pillaging /plundering. Next target should be Gava haomavarga. However, in my game before going for that, Seleukids assaulted me. I was lucky and the Ptolemies gave them a nice fight so they only sent enough stacks at me that I could handle. Take whatever provinces of them you can, and at the same time protect Baktra with all you 've got. If you lose it, it is game over as you can't really recruit elite units in any other city. Another thing that need saying. Do NOT go for many elite units. I fought many battles with only Persian units and was OK. Use Archers/slingers a lot and have your cav run around the enemy to lead them to your pikes. As you expand the ideal would be 1 army going to the front, 1 r+r in Baktra, and leave in your occupied city armies you can replenish. Always go for stone walls, as with a lot of archers on the walls when you sally, the enemy will always try to get out of range allowing your inf space to get out in the open. slingers and archers are the key, a unit of Pezhetairoi, some local light horse, horsearcher if possible. Try to expand in the areas that border Baktra. This way you insure your capital is safe, but also get more access to more home provinces. Build stone walls,trade,farm,river harbor buildings first and foremost and higher level barracks. Try to squeeze out any last cent of your inhabitants without going yellow. Fight all the battles, as the AI will lose them. Be prepared to fight like a gorilla fighter, especially in sieges. Place all archers in the stone walls, slingers too, and every sally they will kill a big percentage of the enemy. Then retreat in the walls hit retreat, and repeat on the next turn. On turn three, go for the throat. I was lucky enough and only fought the Seleukids in my campaign, up to that point.

Personally I used only Baktrian Patris (government 1) and nomos autonomos (government 4)

Only build level 2 mines in Kophen, at first as it is the MOST rewarding of them all. To do that (pay 30.000) try to fill the build queues of all the cities you own, then cancel all the ones you need to reach the above amount. If you reach that far, then the road ahead will be easy.You will know what to do. Build up and get more elite units. I tend to use many Baktrian hippotoxotai/Baktrion Agema.

I finished Baktria VH/VH on a beta to 0.81 and did just that.

Fondor_Yards
03-10-2007, 06:05
Fondor's Easy 6 Step Plan for Baktrian Success

1. Take Kophen and Taxilia, and any other nearby rebel cities if you feel like it.
2. Build mines in all those towns plus all 3 of your starting ones.
3. Become crazy rich.
4. Make super armies of Baktrioi Hippeis, Baktrioi Hippotoxotai, Baktrioi Agema, Hellenikoi Kataphraktoi, Thorakitai, and Pheraspidai.
5. Destory the Saka, Parthians, and Seleucids easily with said armies.
6. Win

Thaatu
03-10-2007, 11:51
...while at the same time keeping balanced and historically sound armies. Don't ever forget that, or you will be trampled and eaten by a huge elephant.

Rilder
03-10-2007, 17:12
...while at the same time keeping balanced and historically sound armies. Don't ever forget that, or you will be trampled and eaten by a huge elephant.

Yep a huge man eating indian elephant, with a freaking laser beam on its head!

Elminster12
03-10-2007, 21:09
Yep a huge man eating indian elephant, with a freaking laser beam on its head!
Ridden by an amphibious shark....you know, in case they try to hide in the water. But really, your key to prosperity is India. I learned it the hard way back on .74...those Steppe settlements just don't pay for themselves....