PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Band: Thebes, not Carthage?

Dan_Grr
03-10-2007, 09:42
I thought the Sacred Band was from Thebes, yet they appear in Carthage, what historical change preceded this?

CountArach
03-10-2007, 09:43
Both of them had Sacred Bands.

Watchman
03-10-2007, 11:28
Didn't a certain Macedonian called Alexander, you may have heard of him, reduce Thebes to a smoldering wreckage for being incorrigibly intractable or something ?

Thaatu
03-10-2007, 11:45
:google:

Google "Sacred band of Carthage". Google is your friend. Google never lies. Google likes us.

Intranetusa
03-10-2007, 18:22
or just wiki "Sacred band of Carthage". Wikipedia is your friend. Wikipedia never lies. Wikipedia likes us

Rilder
03-10-2007, 22:29
or just Uncyclo "Carthage" Uncyclopedia is your friend. Uncyclopedia never lies. Uncyclopedia likes us.

mAIOR
03-10-2007, 23:18
Didn't a certain Macedonian called Alexander, you may have heard of him, reduce Thebes to a smoldering wreckage for being incorrigibly intractable or something ?

I thought it was Philip. He also raised a statue in honor of the Theban Sacred band and below are Buried in couuples the remains of the men from the Sacred band.

Cheers...

Ludens
03-11-2007, 00:54
I thought it was Philip. He also raised a statue in honor of the Theban Sacred band and below are Buried in couuples the remains of the men from the Sacred band.
The Sacred Band was destroyed by Phillips' army at the battle of Chaeronea, but it was his son who commanded the wing that engaged the band. The city of Thebes was spared in return for surrender. Shortly afterPhillips death, Thebes and Athens revolted. Alexander arrived at Thebes before any Athenian reinforcements could arrive. The fighting turned into a sack when the Thebans were defeated.

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
03-11-2007, 00:55

Cheers...

give the man a cookie.

It is however worth noting that the carthaginian Sacred Band were inspired by Greeks, and formed by a Greek irrc.

mAIOR
03-11-2007, 01:23
I got a cockie?? Woot!!
I know that thebes and Athens revolted after Phillips death but, the Sacred Band was no longer. There was no reforming for the sacred band after Chaeronea.

Cheers...

CountArach
03-11-2007, 01:31
or just Uncyclo "Carthage" Uncyclopedia is your friend. Uncyclopedia never lies. Uncyclopedia likes us.

HAHA! So true!

Thaatu
03-11-2007, 14:56
Oh come on! Have some originality people! I was just about to trademark that frase... Well, it's back to the drawing board. I'll hit the jackpot someday. Just watch me.