PDA

View Full Version : Who do you reccommend as the MOST fun faction? :)

Favre
03-15-2007, 22:18
Hello all, I've just finished my first campaign (Didnt really finish..) with Sabyr, and while a very fun faction, it is very incomplete unit wise. Anyways, I pushed far and deep into ptolemi lands and at the same time sent a full stack thrust into seleucid territory. Unfortuneately, the Seleucids got a nice amubsh on my stack up there and after suffering a devastating victory, i could only take 1 town before i ran out of steam.

On the other hand, i took roughly 9-10 towns and lost only like 200 men in my stack i sent to the ptolemies. Then, They bribed like 2 towns back, conquered 2 back, and then the rest the public order becmae so bad i had to abandon them.

All in all, i lost 2 stacks, about 6-7 hours game time, ruined my economy, and made no ground. :D

So i gave up on that campaign.

Im feeling like playing a new campaign, but MY first try - Koinon Hellenon - gave my the same feeling as M2TW, where i play for like 50 turns and then quit. Sabyr gave me a awesome feeling for epicness that i really loved.

Anyways, I'd like some faction recommended that are real fun to play, and possibly have some cool lookin units, but the units are only a side top the immersiveness and overall fun factor.

Look forward to hearing!

Thanks!

abou
03-15-2007, 23:31
If you liked starting off small and having to grow then there are a couple of factions that you would like. These are the Casse, Sweboz, Lusotannan, and Saka.

I had a Sweboz campaign going on 0.8 and I had a lot of fun with it.

Lord Gruffles
03-15-2007, 23:32
I'm totally diggin' my Epeiros campaign! :2thumbsup:

Pelopidas
03-16-2007, 00:11
Epeiros or Baktria.

Very fun, challenging, with lots of blood since the very first year ?
Try the Arverni or Aedui, and test their fratricid war...I really love that, especially when the Romani and Sweböz came into the playing ground...

Xtiaan72
03-16-2007, 01:03
The Getai start small and are really fun as well. Very good troop mix.

Kralizec
03-16-2007, 01:16
Epeiros or Baktria.

Agreed.

Lord Gruffles
03-16-2007, 02:26
I honestly think EB has done a good job of making all the factions fun for their own unique reasons.

I think I have had the most fun with this Epeiros campaign, but it really does depend on what type of game play your are looking for when you ask 'who do you recommend'.

I had a blast as the Casse, I've had a blast as the KH, the Romani are, well, it's Rome, what more do you need to know. Arche Seleukia is a hoot in as much as it's similar to the Western Roman Empire in BI (you start big and thin with everyone nipping at your boarders.)

Saka, Hayasdan, Getai are fun because you start with one provence and build an empire from scratch.

I could go on with every faction, but I think I've made my point.

:2cents:

The Errant
03-16-2007, 08:13
For an early easy game go with Kart-Hadast. Few defendable borders. Kickass economy and great unit roster.

Dooz
03-16-2007, 08:33
It's great how every faction has pretty much been mentioned. Just goes to show you what a great mod EB is and what an incredible job the team has done.

I've played Casse, Carthage, Rome and Sweboz myself. All of them were superb.

Subedei
03-16-2007, 09:10
I have enjoyed most Baktria, Parthia & Epiros in 0.8.

I am currently playing the Getai in 0.81 on hard and this is an awesome campaign. Back and forward, allied & betray[ed], "Mine is Mine" and next turn "Mine is theirs, damn!"....Wonderful!

Veris
03-16-2007, 09:23
I've definitely enjoyed Macedonia the most, partially because of their military, but also of the strategical flexibility and choices. Their starting position is a lot of fun, having to fight two enemies at once, and then once that is solidified, you have great flexibility. Unlike many nations they do not have very many restrictions to their opponents and have a wide open game: I'm pretty sure the game I had, where I was at war with every major power west of Bactria, is not what most others will have, although their's will most likely be quite unique as well. Being able to go north and fight the people of Dacia, and even the steppe nomads, or west against the barbarians, as well as fight against the four major powers in the area (after eliminating K.H/Epiros), all of which would provide a quite different campaign. For me, it was most exciting doing all of that at the same time.

Alkiviadis
03-16-2007, 13:22
I don't know which is the most funiest faction to play,but surely the most NOT funiest faction to play is Casse...
For my point of view of course...
You must have too much patience...
Lusitania is pretty good faction and become better and better as the game goes on and you must fight 2 fronts,Romans and Qarthadast...

Dooz
03-16-2007, 22:32
I don't know which is the most funiest faction to play,but surely the most NOT funiest faction to play is Casse...
For my point of view of course...

Oo, I loved the Casse. It was a big difference not being thrust into war from the get go. You get to build up and expand, take over the island, and build up again before invading the mainland. It's a fun style. Cool units too, unique barbarians.

Watchman
03-16-2007, 23:06
And they are definitely colorful, even for Celts. :clown:

Wolfman
03-16-2007, 23:40
Koinon Hellenon. Starts with scattered provinces and are surrounded by enemys. But has a good economy and pretty decent troops. Though their no match for the Macedonian phalangites & Calvary .

Pelopidas
03-16-2007, 23:41
The question was about the MOST fun, for us.

Of course, everey faction is a real pleasure, a délice !

The funniest is the one who interest you for your mood of the day.
I remember an epic game wis every faction...even the Casse, yes, quite unique !

Rilder
03-17-2007, 02:53
Depends on your preferred units for the most part, if you like Calvary, Parthia, Saka, Saurmote, hayeatersdan. If you like Phalanxes, Makedonia, Arche, Ptollmies, BabygotBacktria, If you like Greeks without all the phalanx's Koinon Hellenon, If you like a mix of all things, I'd say Carthies but I haven't played them, Getai also has a bit of mixture in units from what Ive seen... If you like Wild half naked-to fully naked men charging around kicking behind, then any of the Barbarian factions, If you like Civilized people who don't do anything intresting but kill everyone anyways then play Rome.

Geoffrey S
03-17-2007, 09:19
If you're looking for variety, try Rome, Epeiros, Makedon or the Greek cities. They're reasonably central on the map and get to fight a whole load of different kind of factions, with plenty of variety to prevent boredom; that, and they're arguably among the most finished factions.

mAIOR
03-19-2007, 22:59
Right now I have 2 main campaigns going and one extra also, in previous versions, I played other campaigns.
What I can tell you, is the same as everyone: each factions is unique, each enjoyable in it's own way, bla bla bla bla bla...
Now, I'm diging my Parthian Campaign but, if you want a campaign that really makes you tick and feel big once you succed, try the Hayasdan... It's awsome and your units are worse than your Phalava counterparts... Also, you don't have any money. Just awsome :)

Cheers...

Alkiviadis
03-23-2007, 09:24
The question was about the MOST fun, for us.

Of course, everey faction is a real pleasure, a délice !

The funniest is the one who interest you for your mood of the day.
I remember an epic game wis every faction...even the Casse, yes, quite unique !

Exactly,it depends...of the mood...
Do You want a challenge?Take Lusotans,Sabyn
Do you want to build up and make an invation,take the Casse...

The Celtic Viking
03-25-2007, 21:49
It depends completely on what kind of units you want and like. I, for one, despise horses. Especially when there's archers mounted on them, but horses in general stink. Therefor I value infantry based nations much higher than cavalry based ones. If your opinion is the opposite, however... my advice might not mean that much. If you are as enlightened as I am, my word shapes the truth.

So, with that said, I will wholeheartedly recommend every "barbarian" faction, especially the Sweboz or Arverni (or Aedui, they're just like Arverni except the latter are the "superior ones" ~;)). They're LOADS of fun, and seriously, can you say no to men like the Gaesatae? No frigging way! Go for it, dude. :2thumbsup:

Kugutsu
03-25-2007, 22:43
Just played a short Lusetanni campaign, and that was quite fun. Managed to take 5 settlements with my starting armies, but was 100 000 in debt...
It was only after I had 6 towns that I even started turning a profit.

The Lusetann light cavalry (the ones with face-masks) are amazing. They seem pretty light for a bodyguard, but they more than make up for it with the fact that they hav AP secondary weapons, and do about 15 damage. I managed to slaughter Carthie sacred band cavalry with them who have far higher defence, simply because I did so much more damage than them.

Rex_Pelasgorum
03-29-2007, 09:00
Saba is deffinetly the most fun, for me.
Casse looks to me also quite exotic...

I like the factions wich are more isolated in the begining... have to face large rebel stacks.

I think all the factions are fun, after all ! ~:)

pansoiatr
03-30-2007, 07:53
I really think that ALL of the factions are fun to play and it depends on your style of play to choose the faction you like.
From my experience i would have to say epeiros if only because of having the pleasure to complete what pyrrhus could not and conquer rome.
And bactria:hard to play,limited money,wide selection of many regional and exotic troops.
It is realy up to you

MerlinusCDXX
08-29-2007, 07:07
all that i've played are fun...but so far EΠEIPΩΣ

Thaatu
08-29-2007, 12:35
I've played with Aedui, Arche Seleukeia, Baktria, Casse, Epeiros, Karthadastim, Koinon Hellenon, Lusotannan, Makedonia, Pahlava, Ptolemaioi, Romani, Saka, Sauromatae and Sweboz. Pretty hard to put them in order. Now that I think of them, each were fun and unique.

Bootsiuv
08-29-2007, 18:41
The KH are Qarthadastim are the funnest I've played so far. I keep looking at Bactria, but every time I've tried them, I've been overrun fairly quickly. The distances between your starting cities are really vast, makes it hard to fight off Seleukids, Pahlavans, and Saka while still trying to expand into the rich Indus valley.

Bobolicious
08-29-2007, 22:21
All this casse talk has convinced me to give 'em a whirl, even thought I detest full stacks of...everything. But In my experience, I enjoyed KH the most, I like to see them as a last stand of an ancient civilization against the changing times, or something like that...

Xehh II
08-29-2007, 23:32
Why does everyone lime Epeiros?

colonalwhisky
08-30-2007, 00:45
depends on your playing style. myself i prefer decent ranged units with troops that can hold a line well, so Baktra is my 1st preference. though makedonia has a good starting position especially if you expand north (good regional archer units)

Lysander13
08-30-2007, 04:53
But In my experience, I enjoyed KH the most, I like to see them as a last stand of an ancient civilization against the changing times, or something like that...

Heh!!....and i thought i was the only one.

Azazel
08-30-2007, 13:52
Makedonia was really fun for me. It was nice to be thrown straight into war with the enemy at your gates and your army in KH territory!! And not to mention you're at war with the Getai...Talk about multi-fronted war :juggle2:

It's also fun to have such a strong successor army and a little empire. It gives you so much potential to go out and conquer the lands that are rightfully yours! And when you finally have that big empire and are duking it out with the Silver Death, it's just a lot of fun. Then, you start to reminisce of your origins...conquering the Greek peninsula and how everything seemed so simple... in hindsight atleast. har har :2thumbsup:

Cash Staks
08-30-2007, 17:51
Makedonia was really fun for me. It was nice to be thrown straight into war with the enemy at your gates and your army in KH territory!! And not to mention you're at war with the Getai...Talk about multi-fronted war :juggle2:

It's also fun to have such a strong successor army and a little empire. It gives you so much potential to go out and conquer the lands that are rightfully yours! And when you finally have that big empire and are duking it out with the Silver Death, it's just a lot of fun. Then, you start to reminisce of your origins...conquering the Greek peninsula and how everything seemed so simple... in hindsight atleast. har har :2thumbsup:

I agree. Makedon has been a lot of fun for me. Although right now the Getai and I are on pretty good terms. Which is nice since I have to focus all my energy on Selucia right now. We're sort of in a bloody war over Asia Minor. I control it but they keep sending troops.

Azazel
08-30-2007, 18:33
I agree. Makedon has been a lot of fun for me. Although right now the Getai and I are on pretty good terms. Which is nice since I have to focus all my energy on Selucia right now. We're sort of in a bloody war over Asia Minor. I control it but they keep sending troops.

Ah, fighting AS was fun. For some reason they don't like me occupying their cities :smash: and thats when I encountered 5-6 stacks attacking one major city within a year and a half...year after year :wall: har har (victorious though :2thumbsup: )

Cash Staks
08-30-2007, 18:45
Ah, fighting AS was fun. For some reason they don't like me occupying their cities :smash: and thats when I encountered 5-6 stacks attacking one major city within a year and a half...year after year :wall: har har (victorious though :2thumbsup: )

Haven't had that happen yet. AS is quite occupied with other factions and is spread pretty thin. But they still manage to send small forces against me in little waves. And they always seem to be rather elite units.

On another note about Makedonia. They have in my opinion the coolest unit, or at least the most fun to use and that is the Agrianian Assault Infantry. I've had much fun with those little guys. They've been good flankers for me :2thumbsup:

Kampfkrebs
08-30-2007, 19:37
I´ve really enjoyed playing as Pontus.
After you´ve sacked Ankyra, its quite fun to kick all other factions bottoms with those heavy spearmen.
And there are some cool regionals too, but....nahh my lips are sealed :laugh4:

But anyway, i had some great evenings with this great faction.

So long,
Julian

Arzeal
09-02-2007, 18:13
I go with Lusotannian (sp?) they r most fun w. their ambushing skills :laugh4: When I tried to conquer the whole Spain pennisuala w. the last city, the script actived w. a full stack of Illberian attack my army. At 1st my experiences dealing w. rebels and fight w. weaker army was not enough to take them w. my 3/4 stack warriors. But after several defeats, I ambushed them in the forest, and like in the descriptions of Illberian units, soooo cool - the whole of ur army hide and then throwing every javelins to shocked and confused enemies and slaughter them afterward. I started conquering Europe ever since ^^. By the time facing w. babarian factions, reading the naked fanatic warriors of ripping javelins off their bodies and throw back - I though "tough guys huh, okey, it costs them 1 arm per javelins, the median javelins per men in my army was 3, that's enough for 5 javs per those naked guys :2thumbsup: and it worked as intended :p

Teleklos Archelaou
09-02-2007, 21:08
There are a number of new units that might become a lot of folks' favorite ones, if we can just get the build on out to you guys. I really like one in the Crimea, one in India, a couple in Danube regions, a north african one, and a heavy cav one. There are enough to really sway folks into going after places they hadn't been in such a rush to get before. All our guys are doing great, but I must say stefan is cranking out units like a Mountain Dew junkie who just got a new computer and is living somewhere it's raining all the time outside. He's shown like four or five new units that he's just made today. :laugh4:

bovi
09-02-2007, 21:59
Teleklos you teaser you :belly:...

KuKulzA
09-02-2007, 23:36
There are a number of new units that might become a lot of folks' favorite ones, if we can just get the build on out to you guys. I really like one in the Crimea, one in India, a couple in Danube regions, a north african one, and a heavy cav one. There are enough to really sway folks into going after places they hadn't been in such a rush to get before. All our guys are doing great, but I must say stefan is cranking out units like a Mountain Dew junkie who just got a new computer and is living somewhere it's raining all the time outside. He's shown like four or five new units that he's just made today. :laugh4:

hahahahaha :laugh4:

Horst Nordfink
09-03-2007, 04:17
I prefer to play with the smaller empires and take a new territory as I get a new general. Rome is always my favourite, but Makedonia and Casse are good too.

The only thing that sometimes spoils it for me is I don't like to conquor territories that my chosen faction didn't actually own, and I don't like having territories with no governor, so I wait til I have a new general. It does limit some factions somewhat.

Maybe I'm just a sad b@$t@rd?

Elminster12
09-03-2007, 04:22
I love trying to survive as Pontos. I've reached the point where I start a game and think: "Why wait? The Seleukids are going to BS me anyways" so I just take Mazaka now and proceed from there. Trying to expand after the initial burst is rough because of the constant Seleukid stacks, but its a bit easier to manage when they aren't a half-turn march away from your capital...