PDA

View Full Version : Macedonian armies and tactics

Zim
03-16-2007, 02:50
~:cool: Hello, everyone. I've been working on a Macedonian campaign. Control all of Greece, Macedon, Epirus' old territory, and a bit to the north now. I just finally built the highest level barracks in my starting cities, and I'm not quite sure what kind of armies to build now that I'm not stuck with Phalangatai Deuteroi and militia hoplites.

I've been trying armies of about eight phalangatai, 6 of them pezheterai and two silver shields, two companion cav and two lighter, a general, and the rest various skirmishers and sword/spear infantry of varying levels of eliteness.

What kind of armies do you guys use as Macedonia?

Teleklos Archelaou
03-16-2007, 03:25
There's a historical army composition thread around here somewhere. We need one thread stickied and kept up with that links in a good format to the best threads on the forum.

Zim
03-16-2007, 03:29
Hmm...I remember that thread but I don't remember if Macedon was in it. I would have pulled it up but I wasn't sure if thread necromancy was allowed. ~:)

Cataphract_Of_The_City
03-16-2007, 04:00
*Rummages through threads* Found it! It includes a historical composition for Makedonian armies based on the Alexandrian army.

Have fun ;)

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79234

Zim
03-16-2007, 04:32
*Rummages through threads* Found it! It includes a historical composition for Makedonian armies based on the Alexandrian army.

Have fun ;)

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79234

:2thumbsup: Thank you! Too bad I expanded too slowly. Looks like the Getai, Romans, and Seleucids are going to gang up on me, and only the Getai have fewer than double the number of soldiers I can afford. :sweatdrop: I predict a slow and painful loss, or many a heroic battle marker.

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
03-21-2007, 00:14
I've been trying armies of about eight phalangatai, 6 of them pezheterai and two silver shields, two companion cav and two lighter, a general, and the rest various skirmishers and sword/spear infantry of varying levels of eliteness.

What kind of armies do you guys use as Macedonia?
Personally I think 6 Phalangitai are enough, of which 2 are Argyraspidai. 2 Thureophoroi, 2 Agrianikoi and 1 or 2 Royal Guard Units should guard the flanks. 2 Bowmen units, and probably a unit of Peltastai (Thrakians are best). For cavalry, I recommend 5 or 6, your General, 2 Thraikioi Prodromoi, 2 Thessalian Cavalry, and 1 or 2 Hetairoi.

Keep the Agrianikoi in the second line, behind the Thureophoroi, because they can hurl their javelins at a really big distance. Plus, Thureophoroi are better in defending, but Agrianikoi are perfect Assault forces, so use them to attack your enemy's flanks. Your Royal Guard should be used "where it is burning".

Thraikioi Prodromoi are excellent for any purposes, even charges, but please not into phalanxes (only from behind, hehe). So once the enemy is tied, charge in their back. I personally prefer to make the pezhetaroi 8 men deep, that gives them more staying power.

I hope that helps.:charge:

Eduorius
03-21-2007, 00:44
Hi just to say that based on my guide is very useful. You should use it and maybe stick it here in the Guide section.

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
03-21-2007, 00:50
Hi just to say that based on my guide is very useful. You should use it and maybe stick it here in the Guide section.
I'm sorry, I didn't read your guide, I only posted what I found out for myself. Surely your guide is more detailed than my tiny post.:stupido2: :tomato2:

Eduorius
03-21-2007, 02:45
Nah, no problem.

At the end one plays by his own house rules specially by the reason that the soldier mortality in RTW is higher than it was in real life for victorious armies.