PDA

View Full Version : romani houserules

kalkwerk
03-20-2007, 17:47
Hi, I would like to discuss which houserules you use playing as the romani. Im always playing with houserules, but Id like to get more ideas to utilize the traits and roleplay and other aspects of the game.

Playing 0.81a with cunctuator and force diplomacy mod. Eventually city mod (havent tested it yet). BI-exe.

1. Settings
a. VH/M.
I played VH/VH earlier on, and its big fun in many battles as you really must strive to beat certain army compositions. I now play VH/M and seek the challenge in army composition / roleplay instead. More about that later.

2. Expansion
a. Historical stony road. That means: conquering provinces in historical order and at historical date UNTIL the end of the 2nd punic war. After I dont limit myself until 146 to start the 3rd or begin the illyrian wars, but I STILL expand in a historical direction.
b. This doesnt mean I cant fight wars in say Greece on an earlier point. I might very well conquer cities there, but I must give them to another faction or let them rebel / cant keep them myself. This is of course tidy, but you can help factions from being destroyed at an early point, stop others from developing into powerhouses and it simulates in some way the roman role as a power trying to keep a balance of power.

3. Diplomacy
a. I use the force diplomacy mod. This allows me to force a historical peace on say carthage, as the the AI mostly wont allow me otherwise. For instance, after fulfilling the objectives of the 2nd punic war, I force Carthage to be my protectorate. This gave me in my last game 1000000 dinars, which I gave other factions which I wanted to help.
b. I try to keep as many factions in the game as possible to be able to fight them later on. Also roleplay the roman faction as a faction not allowing other powerhouses in the mediterranean after the 2nd punic war. This might mean war with the Ptolemaic Kingdom or AS before I even got a border with them.

4. Economy/Administration
a. I control all cities. Even so, all cities should have a governor. Therefore I recruit generals (Cunctuator) if necessary.
b. I try to make the choices of buildings from a historical point of view and not only to react to the game.
c. Rome and the Italy always has priority in building structures.
d. Economical/military structures are not necessarily prioritized. The governors personality (warmonger, farmer, philosopher) and the faction leader personality should reflect the building choices.
e. never keep more than 50000 dinares at the end of turn UNTIL marian reforms. After that, try to keep big amounts if possible. The bad traits governors might pick up reflect the fall of the republic and its virtues.
f. Government system reflects historical status of romanized provinces/allies

5. Roleplay characters
a. Try to play generals/governors according to their traits.
b. Only characters with the rank of consul/praetor or influence 7+ might command a consular army.
c. Only characters with the rank of aedile or influence 4+ might command a legion.
d. Only characters who are wealthy might command a mercenary army.
e. Characters who hate carthagenians exterminate.

6. Agents
a. Allow spies to open gates isnt considered a cheat

7. Army composition
a. Legion
1 accensi, 1 leves, 1 rorari, 1 hastati, 1 principes, 1 triari, 1 equites, 1 general. Optional: 2 allies (samnites), 1 tribune, 1-2 mercenaries.
b. Consular army
2 of everyone listed above + allies/mercenaries.
c. Mercenary army
Dependent on region.

8. Battles
a. Roleplay general (wether he takes part in the battle, wether he attacks/defends, wether he sieges/assaults) according to personality.
b. Generals cam. (Really adds to battles).
c. Armies without generals - auto resolve.

9. Borders
a. Rely heavy on forts, watchtowers and spies/assasins. In certain regions mercenaries are used for guarding borders.

10. Navy
a. Although expensive, its important for Rome to control the sea after the 1st punic war. A big fleet must be maintained and as soon as the 1st punic war begins naval structures have priority. This is also important to check other factions far away. Id really like to see fleets to move a lot more than its possible now.

Okay thats about what I could think of now, Id be really eager to get more ideas though.

CaesarAugustus
03-20-2007, 20:57
Perhaps disband legions after every 16 years, or 25 in a national emergency (maybe if you're at war with 3 or more factions)? This is hard to keep track of, though, so I don't really do it.

Also, No Camillan units in Polybian era, no Polybians in Marian, etc.