PDA

View Full Version : Casse Generals As Infantry

Dumbass
03-20-2007, 18:55
Could someone make a mod where the casse general unit is an infantry unit (Some very good casse infantry unit) for I hate the idea of your generals being chariots only, and that's really the main thing stopping me from playing them. Cheers!

Fondor_Yards
03-20-2007, 20:44
What unit do you want them to use?

Watchman
03-20-2007, 20:50
The Rycalawre are about the top the Casse get - although there's also those swordsmaster guys - but would be kinda anachronistic for the early game. I can give you an example of how to replace the chariots and guys with those fellows later tonight.

Dumbass
03-20-2007, 21:20
Rycalawre sounds good, and thanks for the help.

Watchman
03-20-2007, 22:12
Right, here goes.

1) Backup your original export_descr_unit.txt.

2) Open export_descr_unit.txt.

3) Search for celtic chariot cidainh bodyguards. It should have ";18" above it.

4) Replace the entry with the following:

type celtic chariot cidainh bodyguards
dictionary celtic_infantry_rycalawre ; Rycalawre
category infantry
class spearmen
voice_type General_1
soldier celtic_infantry_arjos_rycalawre_solduros_kuarothoroi, 30, 0, 1.35
officer officer_celtic_standardbearer
officer officer_celtic_officer
mount_effect horse +1, camel +1, elephant -3
attributes sea_faring, hide_improved_forest, very_hardy, command, general_unit
formation 0.7, 1, 1.8, 2.6, 4, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 12, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 0 ,0.225
stat_pri_attr no
stat_sec 13, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 0 ,0.13
stat_sec_attr spear
stat_pri_armour 12, 10, 4, metal
stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
stat_heat 5
stat_ground 0, 0, 0, -1
stat_mental 16, disciplined, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 2720, 0, 80, 130, 2720
ownership britons, slaveI incidentally added the non-standardbearer unit officer, just 'cause generals are so cool they want to have one around. :yes:

4) Save the changes and exit. Presto. Although you might want to delete map.rwm, just in case.

Unless I got something wrong, the beauty in the above trick is that it changes the content of the celtic chariot cidainh bodyguards entry, and thus should both be savegame compatible and not require any changes to descr_strat.txt or some such malarky. :2thumbsup:

One possible issue is that the unit cards might still show the chariots - I don't know if the engine looks at the "type" or "dictionary" line for that. Although given that the bodyguard version doesn't have its own cards I'd guess the latter, in which case this shouldn't be a problem.

Fondor_Yards
03-20-2007, 22:19
Calawre are probably a better choice, since Rycalawre take the 2nd reform to get don't they?

Not sure, but I think the dictionary refers for unit describitons, unit cards, and so on, while type seems to be for recruitment and placement in descr_strat.

Watchman
03-20-2007, 22:28
That's what I was assuming too.

Anyway, copy-pasting most of the Calawre entry instead would not be very different (I assume the pattern is readily divinable from the example above, anyway) so it's really just a matter of taste.

And besides, Brihentin need the last reform too don't they ? But that doesn't keep the Aedui and Arverni generals from having them as bodyguards from the start...

Krusader
03-21-2007, 13:58
Hmm, you know we could potentially replace chariots with a late bodyguard unit that kicks in after reforms...I'll check if it's historically plausible and doable.

Dumbass
03-21-2007, 18:51
Thanks for the help, I'll try it as soon as I finish my carthage campaign (Don't want to muck it up).

Birka Viking
03-24-2007, 12:33
Thanks watchman this is realy great when I play Casse.. I hope the EB team can do something similar in future versions of EB..Becouse Casse chariots is realy crappy and clumsy generals...Thanks again:2thumbsup:

Watchman
03-24-2007, 15:48
I thought they were nicely characterful. A bit on the brittle side, granted, but then they're clearly more of a "psychological warfare" than elite shock unit anyway.

alatar
03-25-2007, 00:58
There good to shoot the crap out of the enemy from the rear. When assaulting I make all of my units use all of there ammo before I take the town square. And the chariots can turn the tide of a battle with a charge to the rear.

Gask
03-25-2007, 02:00
Casse generals are the worst unit in the game imo. Their only virtue is that they can frighten and its rare where that comes into real play for me. Id much rather prefer skirmisher calvary even, because at least then I could use them to hunt down fleeing units instead of rolling after them for 5 minutes trying to stub their toes :dizzy2: .

Would getting rid of their silly javelins, adding some armor and giving them a decent primary wep be too overpowered? Even then they would be a cumbersome unit.

ziegenpeter
02-05-2010, 23:32
Sorry for that necromancy, but if I aplly those changes to the edu, does it follow that I have to pay the actual upkeep for the generals?
Actually I think you also normally do pay upkeep for your FMs, because whenever I play a tiny faction and a new family mamber comes of age or marries into your dynasty, the income of your towns drops.

EDIT: I don't know if it would be inappropriate to post this in the regular forum? I think fewer people look here.

Ludens
02-06-2010, 14:29
Sorry for that necromancy, but if I aplly those changes to the edu, does it follow that I have to pay the actual upkeep for the generals?
Actually I think you also normally do pay upkeep for your FMs, because whenever I play a tiny faction and a new family mamber comes of age or marries into your dynasty, the income of your towns drops.

Yes, you will have to pay the standard upkeep for the unit (taking bodyguard size into account, of course). You also pay 200 mnai for every family member regardless of the size of their bodyguard: this is displayed as "wages" rather than "upkeep" in the economy and city detail scrolls. Standard EB bodyguard units are therefor free of upkeep.

EDIT: I don't know if it would be inappropriate to post this in the regular forum? I think fewer people look here.

I like to keep questions about submods here, but if you really can't get an answer you can post in the main forum.

ziegenpeter
02-06-2010, 17:10
But I guess I could make some changes to also make the new BGs "free" (except for those 200)...?

Ludens
02-06-2010, 19:45
But I guess I could make some changes to also make the new BGs "free" (except for those 200)...?

Yes: the third number in the stat_cost line represents upkeep. Set that zero. This will mean that the normal Calawre (or whatever unit you select as BG) will also become free of upkeep. Also, according to Aradan (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?88859-Guide-The-Complete-EDU-Guide-%28WIP%29) the A.I. will not recruit units that are set as general's bodyguards. Keep that in mind when you start a campaign with another faction.

johnhughthom
02-06-2010, 20:36
I'm currently playing a Casse campaign with Calawre as bodyguard, then Rycalawre after reform. I left the upkeep in and have been rolling in money as usual. It's your call of course, but it hasn't affected my campaign at all, I had 2 million before invading Gaul.

ziegenpeter
02-07-2010, 17:48
OK thank you guys so far

Also, according to Aradan (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?88859-Guide-The-Complete-EDU-Guide-%28WIP%29) the A.I. will not recruit units that are set as general's bodyguards. Keep that in mind when you start a campaign with another faction.
Well... since casse is net really influencing any of my other campaigns (even sweboz...) I think that wont do much harm ;) But thank you!

But what about heavy cav as Casse BG, just like the Gauls? Remi Mairepos eg

EDIT: Is it impossible to tweak the data in a way that your new BGs have no upkeep but the "regular" units still cost you?

Ludens
02-08-2010, 19:51
But what about heavy cav as Casse BG, just like the Gauls? Remi Mairepos eg

EDIT: Is it impossible to tweak the data in a way that your new BGs have no upkeep but the "regular" units still cost you?

Wait a minute, I've misinterpreted Watchman's post. He didn't set another unit as bodyguard: he replaced the Casse bodyguard entry. Which means that the normal Calawre entry is still unchanged (same upkeep, A.I. can recruit them). :shame:

OK, if this is the case then you should ignore my previous posts. This mod should work perfectly. If you wish to have another unit as bodyguard, simply copy the unit entry of that unit minus the first line (type) and paste it over the Casse BG unit as Watchman did here. The only change you need to make is the third number in the cost-line (upkeep). You can use any Casse-recruitable unit for this.

And don't forget to make a back-up...

ziegenpeter
02-10-2010, 10:43
What a relief! Economically, I'm not doing very well and so I couldnt afford to pay expensive upkeep for all my FMs. And getting along with the chariots is very hard.
Of course there are some ways to keep the chariot BGs alive, but the good thing about General units is that you dont have to look after them all the time. Imho.

Bert Preast
02-10-2010, 15:23
BELAY THAT!

Check the date on Watchman's solution - it's pre EB 1.2.

I was wanting to do the same thing, and found the attachment in this post by Rovert works just dandy:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?110731-Casse-cavalry-infantry-bodyguards&p=2254687&viewfull=1#post2254687

If you want infantry rather than cavalry bodyguards, then Watchman gives the 1.2 way to do it here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?110731-Casse-cavalry-infantry-bodyguards&p=2278313&viewfull=1#post2278313

Blooo
02-10-2010, 17:34
Quick question, hopefully. I changed my generals unit just fine (to druids) and I want them to use an axe instead of a sword. I replaced the stat_pri line with this: 9, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, slashing, axe, 0 ,0.220

But they still have swords. Any ideas?

ziegenpeter
02-10-2010, 18:19
Well I guess you have to change the model...?

BELAY THAT!

Check the date on Watchman's solution - it's pre EB 1.2.

I was wanting to do the same thing, and found the attachment in this post by Rovert works just dandy:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?110731-Casse-cavalry-infantry-bodyguards&p=2254687&viewfull=1#post2254687

If you want infantry rather than cavalry bodyguards, then Watchman gives the 1.2 way to do it here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?110731-Casse-cavalry-infantry-bodyguards&p=2278313&viewfull=1#post2278313

Thank you. I think I'd stick to the cav, bacause casse lacks some good cav and imho its a more appropriate replacement for chariots.
BTW: Are the BGs in the new edu upkeep free?

Not that I understand much about modding, but I'd like to understand more. Rovert's entry looks like this:

;18
type celtic chariot cidainh bodyguards
dictionary celtic_chariot_cidainh ; Cidainh
category cavalry
class heavy
voice_type General_1
soldier celtic_charioteer, 10, 5, 1
mount celtic heavy chariot
mount_effect elephant -5, horse -2
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, frighten_foot, command, very_hardy, power_charge
formation 7, 9, 15, 15, 2, square
stat_health 2, 2
stat_pri 5, 50, javelin, 57.8, 25, thrown, simple, piercing, spear, 10 ,1
stat_pri_attr thrown
stat_sec 12, 50, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, slashing, none, 0 ,1
stat_sec_attr ap, launching, area
stat_pri_armour 7, 13, 4, flesh
stat_sec_armour 10, 7, flesh
stat_heat 3
stat_ground 0, 0, -4, -2
stat_mental 16, impetuous, trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 1675, 0, 20, 196, 1675
ownership britons, slave

Why would the game put celtic heavy cav as casse BGs?

Bert Preast
02-10-2010, 18:27
Yep, looks that way.

TheStranger
09-18-2011, 12:32
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have a question:

I'm currently playing a Casse campaign with Calawre as bodyguard, then Rycalawre after reform. I left the upkeep in and have been rolling in money as usual. It's your call of course, but it hasn't affected my campaign at all, I had 2 million before invading Gaul.

I know how to change the general's bodyguard but how do I change it so the the unit does upgrade after the reform, like johnhughthom wrote?

Thx

Ludens
09-18-2011, 13:42
You can change a unit into the bodyguard-upgrade by giving them the "general_unit_upgrade" attribute. Check out Aradan's EDU guide (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?88859-Guide-The-Complete-EDU-Guide-%28WIP%29) for details.

TheStranger
09-18-2011, 15:59
Thank you, but when I set the attribute of the Rycalawre to general_unit_upgrade, then I have the problem that the game doesn't start because the unit type "type celtic chariot cidainh bodyguards" is identical with the general_unit. As I have seen in the file on other upgradeable units the unit type is different, but how do I change it?

And there may be a problem with the numbers of each unit, like the ;18 for the general's unit. Do I have to change this number? Because if I want to have the Rycalwre as recruitable unit and as an updated general's unit then they must have a different number I guess. But I don't think I can just give any number to my "new" unit? I don't think it's that simple. Unfortunately the numbers are not mentioned in the guide.

Ludens
09-20-2011, 10:58
I am afraid it's been too long since I lasted modded, so I don't know what causes this. I don't understand how changing the Rycalawre entry could cause trouble with the Cidainh bodyguards. Adding a separate Rycalawre entry might work, but keep in mind that two units in the same faction cannot share a model, unless one of them has the "mercenary" attribute.

I am not 100% sure, but isn't that number just a search-tag? IIRC the semi-colon tells the engine to ignore that line.

TheStranger
09-20-2011, 12:27
Hmm my modding skills are too low to mod that appropriate. And there are other factors (like the double entry) of which I'm not capable of. Maybe someone can enlighten me. For now I'm playing with the Calawre as bodyguards and it's ok, because there are other factions where the bodyguards don't upgrade either.

TheStranger
09-21-2011, 13:26
I have to add two things I encountered with my new Calawre generals. The first thing is that the always their swords (the general and the standard bearer), when they engage in close combat - and that is a bit annoying. I read that this is a bug, but found no solution to it. Maybe deactivating the primary weapon, the javelin, could help?

The other thing is that I got two new FM - one was coming of age and the other married a daugther of my faction leader - and both had 9 chevrons (after a few turns I guess). But they got them first when I besieged a town with all in all 4 FM and the two suddenly had 9 chevrons during the siege. Kind weird because the even had them after the battle. But only these two FM.

edit: Ok the last problem solved itself: after two turns there where no gold chevrons anymore.