PDA

View Full Version : The Hounds of Molossia

Lord Gruffles
03-23-2007, 02:05
The Molossian Empire

The year is 243bc. After Pyhrros had conquered Italia and the Hellas (including his rightful throne in Pella) his heir Ptolemaios has claimed Crete, Byzantion (including it's surrounding areas) the territories north of Epeiros along the Ageatic and all but a small Carthaginian force left to quell in Sicilia.

The new heir to the throne, Pyrrichos, first son of Ptolemaios, has heroically rescued Byzantion from an onslaught of attacks from what used to be the Makedonians (who are now securely settled along the eastern edge of Asia Minor.) The city was moments away from being conquered when he and his reenforcments entered the battle to save the day!

Our friends from the time of Pyhrros have included a key alliance with Seleukia. This has come to an ebrupt end as they have betrayed us and laid seige to an ill prepared garrison on the island of Krete. It is only a matter of time before they fall. May the gods grant their speed to Eumedes (second son of Ptolemaios) as he gathers a force in Athenai to rescue Krete.

Key Players and Positions:

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/athenai_243bc.jpg
Eumedes in Athenai

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/byzantion_243bc.jpg
Pyrrichos in Byzantion

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/italia_243bc.jpg
Philon (forth and youngest son of Pyrrhos) in Northern Italia

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/sicilia_243bc.jpg
Helenos in Sicilia (third son of Pyrrhos - his second son, Alexandros was killed in battle fighting a band of rebel Samnites in Italia after the Romans had been vanquished)

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/archiadas_kermaraios_243bc.jpg
Archiades Kermaraios (husband to Ptolemaios' eldest child, daughter Nereis) in the territory north of Epeiros on the Aegiatic coast.

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/Ptolemaios_243bc.jpg
The Molossian Emperor, Ptolemaios

Lord Gruffles
03-23-2007, 03:44
In classic RTW AI Diplomacy fashion the Seleukids sued for peace a turn after they put Krete under seige (and after I sank the fleet that took their troops there). :doh:

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/as_peace_deal_243bc.jpg

Of course, I had to manipulate the dumb AI and ask for trade rights and 20k monai as well. They have settled with 16k (I think I'll take it). I used to avoid manipulating the AI and extort money from them like this but EB has changed my ways by giving the AI all that extra cash every turn (so I don't feel guilty now! :thumbsup2 )

I have a suspicion they will put Krete under siege again next turn so shall continue to get my 'rescue' force organized and reenforce Krete all the same. I shall then consider the Seleukids hostiles and plan my mulit-pronged invasion of Asia Minor (and Rhodios to boot).

Wolfman
03-24-2007, 03:23
Why do you have Hastati in your Army even though your not roman?

Lord Gruffles
03-24-2007, 03:28
First off, hello Fayetteville! (I spent many a summer there visiting my Nana!)

I have Hastati because I conquered Italia and can recruite them from the local/native MICs. Hellenic Phalanx and Roman style Pilla are a devastating combination! :whip: In fact, I have recruited more and plan to ship them back to the 'homeland' to fight against the Maks.

BTW, I know my AAR sucks. I have never made one of these and simply wanted to get things out on the table. I hope to use others as inspiration and get a storyline going in the future.

The truth is I'm just loving this campaign so much I want it down in writing for posterity and to share my love with the masses!

Wolfman
03-24-2007, 03:53
What are you talking about your AAR sucks? its awesome!!!
P.S. My Nana also live hear thats why we moved from Upstate N.Y.. What did you think of Fayetteville when you visited?

Lord Gruffles
03-24-2007, 04:06
Well, she lived at Gates Four (a private golf course community) so it was very nice, indeed. Plus, it usually included a trip to Emerald Isle. So, what's not to love!!! :2thumbsup:

And thanks for the charity on the description of the AAR. I shall get some progress made on it this weekend for sure.

Dooz
03-24-2007, 08:08
I know exactly what you mean Lord Gruffles. EB is so awesome, you just feel like you can't contain all the fun within yourself and you want write it out and yeah, basically whatever you mentioned.

I'm in the process of putting together a little piece myself but it's been a few days and it hasn't gotten off the ground as I had hoped. Too much planning, not enough action. Hope I can get it started soon...

Anyhoo, keep at it with this one, I likes me some Epirotes and would like to see more.

Lovejoy
03-24-2007, 11:12
Like your AAR! Not as heavy to read as many of the other AARs.

I couldnt help but notice you hardly use any cav at all. I love cav, especially light/medium cav. Cant get enough of them! :clown:

Boyar Son
03-24-2007, 14:35
Finnaly a chance to see what would've happend if Phyrros had lived and conquerd!
still though... -ROMA VICTA

Lord Gruffles
03-24-2007, 15:12
I couldnt help but notice you hardly use any cav at all. I love cav, especially light/medium cav. Cant get enough of them! :clown:
I've been so strapped for cash that cav was just not a viable option. I have my current infrastructure in pretty good shape now so I have started recruiting some cav units finally.

Until now, my generals had to earn their pay! :whip:

:laugh4:

Lord Gruffles
03-24-2007, 19:25
The Seleukia – Molossian Wars

So the war begins. Negotiations between the eastern remnants of Alexadros’ empire and those of his Hellenic origins have failed. The Mollos wanted nothing but peaceful coexistence in order to focus on their arch-nemesis the Mytilene Empire. But the Seleukids could not stand another power house in the mediteranian and have once again attacked Krete. This time, Eumedes was able to reach the shores of the besieged island and thwart all attempts by the AS to subdue it. Molossia’s most esteemed seadog, Admiral Nikarchos assured any attempt at escape was cut off and the Seleukids have paid dearly. In addition to their western fleet, the Seleukids have lost a great general in Kendebaios Margianikos. Perhaps these developments will send a message to the Seleukids and anyone else who would question the rights and territory of the great Molossian Emperor, Ptolomaios. :whip:

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/empires_242bc.jpg
A - Eumedes' rescue of Krete
B - Phyrrichos' rescue of Byzantion
C - Helenos' final defeat of the Carthaginians in Sicilia
:charge:

The Consolidation of Sicilia

30 days of games and celebration have been ordered throughout the Molossian Empire in commeration of Helenos Aikaides' triumphant conquest of Sicilia. :cheerleader:

There is still much work to be done and preparations to be made for our futher expansion into Corsica and Sardinia. We did not ask for war against the Carthaginians. But we must secure safe trade routes west of Italia and with their aggression in Silicia against our forces, war seems to be the only answer.

Boyar Son
03-24-2007, 19:50
Who are the Mytelenes?

Lord Gruffles
03-24-2007, 19:52
Mytinlene is the Capital of the once mighty Makedonians. It's on that small island off the west coast of Asia Minor that they start the game with. After I booted them out of Pella they made that their Capital. It makes no sense for me to call them the Maks anymore. ;)

EDIT - They beat back the AS to establish a strong position in Asia Minor. Subsequently, they and the AS have arranged a ceasefire and are both focusing on the Molossian Empire.

Boyar Son
03-24-2007, 19:54
Ah! thats cool, call it a new faction!

Warmaster Horus
03-24-2007, 23:09
Nice AAR, Lord Gruffles.
What's the world situation? Who's the main leader?
Keep it up!

Lord Gruffles
03-25-2007, 00:38
I don't look at the charts beyond looking at my own faction to track its progress.

That reminds me. As I stated I've never done one of these so this is a tad unorganized. For the record my house rules are simple, but strickly upheld:

VH Campaign, M Battle

General Cam

Full zoom-in on battle radar

Never pause during battle --unless a baby is screaming and Mummy needs help! :laugh4: But never for tactical purposes, etc

No lifting the FOW --ever

No looking at faction charts (you must judge your opponent's strengh by intel on the ground not some magic chart that would not have existed)

No 'replaying' history because you didn't like the results of a battle, etc

Ummm, that's all I can think of right now... :idea2:

I do know that AS and Germania are by far the largest factions. I would imagine AS is top ranked over all, but Germania must be up there. I would imagine with infrastructure and all I would most likely be ranked #2 over all at this point. I do know that AS and I traded "Most Advanced Faction" for a while recently.

The Ptoly are all but shattered. Carthage is big, but just took a big hit from me in Sicilia. The Arverni have the Aedui on the run in Gallia.

Here's my faction's entire maps (very recently recorded):

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/epeiros_map_242bc.jpg

Dooz
03-25-2007, 05:03
I like the rules. Pretty tough and realistic. However, I can see how it would make it more difficult for you to take screenshots and other fancy things during battles and so on. But I like the way this is, just a straight up report of goings ons.

Lord Gruffles
03-25-2007, 07:24
Thanks Wonderland. I know I would never win 'Best AAR' of EB. But, what I do know in my heart is, I could win 'Most fun had playing EB' and want to record my efforts just for the sake of having evidence of my love for this game.

RTW sucks in its vanilla state. EB has given this game new life. And I am getting way more than my money's worth --not thanks to CA (I hate to sound ungreatful to them and their engine but I paid them money). No, my thanks go to the EB team and all of their hard work. Work they've done just for the love of history and the love of fun.

All kudos to EB.

TY.

Lord Gruffles
03-25-2007, 18:53
Turnoil And Unrest

In a coordinated effort, agents of both Molossia and Ptolemaioi, along with insurgent forces from the Ptolemaioi have managed to cause unrest in Pontic lands under the control of Seleukia. This has destablized the region and has the Seleukids using valuable resources to qwell the insurrection.

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/agents_242bc.jpg

Meanwhile, http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/eucheiros_aiakides_242bc.jpg (youngest son of the Emperor), after having secured a beach head in Mylinene territory, has put Nikaia under Molossian occupation.

Kralizec
03-25-2007, 19:07
I never gave it serious thought, but I think I'll try a game with general's cam once I get back to gaming.

In my (currently suspended) Epeiros campaign I used spies a lot to cause unrest in Seleukid lands. As long as they bordered me they'd attack Byzantion (my "allies") zealously despite having beaten them back multiple times. I didn't feel like a war with the Seleukids yet because I was still busy fighting the Roman remnants in northern Italy (later on Aedui later also attacked me there, so still no peace...), so I need an Eleutheroi barrier to make and stay at peace- that would be Bythnia, but I also succeeded several times in making Akrya, Halikarnassoss, the Pontik provinces and that Greek settlement in the north-east rebel. Needless to say it didn't take long before my king got the Spy Master and Master of Assassin traits.

I'm surprised not to see any Illyrian thureophoroi in your screenshots, I put at least three of them in a proper army- they rule!

Lovejoy
03-25-2007, 20:37
What about giving the ptolemoi some economic help? You should have a huge amount of cash by now. It would keep the selues busy for a while.

Lord Gruffles
03-25-2007, 23:39
I'm surprised not to see any Illyrian thureophoroi in your screenshots, I put at least three of them in a proper army- they rule!
I've been busy building mines and infrastructer, etc and haven't built that level of MIC yet I guess. It's definitely towards the top of my 'things to do' list now though. I have hired them as mercs for my war in Sicilia and taking Byzantion. And, don't forget I do have Hastati that work in a similar role on the battlefield.

What about giving the ptolemoi some economic help? You should have a huge amount of cash by now. It would keep the selues busy for a while.
I make about 16k/turn right now. I have some garrisons that are a little too expensive and am slowly downgrading them to get more cash-per-turn. As I stated previously, the Seleukids and I had been Allied until last year (243bc) when they stabbed me in the back. The Ptolemoi are allied to my arch-enemy, the Mynitene Empire. So everything we've done together has been born of the camp 'your emeny's enemy is your friend'. But we are not openly friendly and are not allied. If I could get them on my side I would. Believe me. At this point it's a lost cause as they are fubar'ed in my estimation. We'll see what the future holds.

Boyar Son
03-26-2007, 00:10
Lord Gruffles, dont you just hate when other cant mind there own bussinus:laugh4: (the insurgents)

Lord Gruffles
03-26-2007, 00:14
hehe :whip: