PDA

View Full Version : Carthage Challenge AAR's

Xtiaan72
03-23-2007, 08:47
Carthage Challenge Campaign

* I hope others will post their Carthage Challenge AAR'S on this thread. and we can compare notes!

House Rules: Feel free to play with your own variations

1) No attacking outside North Africa for 40 turns. ( To let other factions build up) : This is only 10 years game time. It really shouldn't affect game play that much as you will most likely be attacked before then.

2) No attacking Rome or Epirates unless attacked. ( again to give them a chance to get rolling)

3) No building in cities without general.

4) No recruiting in cities without general.

5) No attacking without general/ Defending is allowed

6) No Reloads

7) Corsica&Sardinia abandoned to simulate defeat in the 1st Punic War. don`t use elite troops against Romanii this time. Cede them to Rome if possible or simply abandon then until attacked, They should accept.

8) Keep lilibeo to stimulate romani/ epirate attack

9) First invasion of Rome must be overland via Iberia.

10) 1-2 Sacred Band units only allowed of each type. And should a unit get wiped out, wait 10 years before recruiting a new one

11) heavily armoured Carthaginian infantry (Late Liby-Phoenicians for example) should be recruited after facing Roman troops in battle.

12) Move a Barcid character to Iberia after facing Romans. Overland invasion of Rome must be by Barcid Character

I'm playing with BI Exe, Medium Battle Difficulty, Very Hard Campaign 8.1a, 1'st cohort-night battle mod

*In addition I will be adding some rivalries between the Hanno and Hamilcar factions, A competition for resources based on their agendas. I will try my best with both factions but the factions with more victories and influence will have more 'pull' on resources. This is the game within the game. They will also have a better chance of bringing over other Carthaginian families to their faction.

*note the story is only supposed to be semi-historical. Dates of wars will be dictated by the simulation. I will let the story go where it takes me, paying close attention to the key characters traits and motivations and their success' and failures.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(272 BC) to ? The First Punic War

(272 BC) A Dubious Treaty

Mago was not a warlike man. He had presided over the greatest economic expansion in the history of Carthage. An accomplishment he knew would make his phoenician ancestors proud.. His desire was to continue this economic miracle and to do it he needed good relations with his trade partners no matter what the cost. A recent treaty with the Romani has sent shockwaves through Carthaginian politics. In order to continue the lucrative trade with the Romani, Mago had authorized a treaty to demilitarize the islands of Corsica & Sardinia. Rome claimed that military forces so close to Rome combined with our powerful navy was causing a great deal of anxiety in the Roman Senate. They demanded that we demilitarize the islands to continue the status que trade arraingment.

For Mago it was a very easy decision. They were not lucrative colonies and only represented a fraction of the income from Rome/Carthage trade routes. But the debate on the issue divided the Council of 271 at Kart Hadast. Hamilcar, the governor of Lilibeo and one of the most influential personages in all of Carthage opposed them vigorously. He only concented when it was agreed that Lilibeo would be fortified and would not be abandoned under any circumstances. Hanno his greatest rival for power among the younger generation was thrilled. He could see that this course of events would lead to more military resources being freed for mainland conquest in Africa. In his opinion Numidians and Bedoin rebels were the chief concerns and threat to the empire. He longed to bring them under the Carthaginian yoke.

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/7/3/23/xtiaan72/f_Rivalsm_3c9f526.jpg

As part of the agreement over half of the Carthaginian military fleet was disbanded and all military forces were withdrawn from the islands. But the lucrative Romani trade routes remained open and if there is any motto among the Carthaginians it is that coin is more valuable than the sword.

Disgusted, Hamilcar returned to Kart Hadast to consult with Mago. Mago had always favoured the enigmatic young man although he often found it necessary to keep him on a short leach. Hamilcar pleaded with Mago not to abandon all of the over seas colonies considering that Corsica & Sardinia were now virtually defenseless. Mago agreed to the funding of a mine in Iberia for Hastrabal ( Governor of the Iberian Colonies) and ally of Hamilcar. ( An ally by necessity since he was the governor of a far-flung province and only Hamilcar ever tried to send any assistance what so ever).

Unfortunately, this left Lilibeo in the hands of Carthalo, Hanno's brother. To hedge his fortunes Hamilcar put the fear of the gods in him before he left.

" You are here all alone....Greeks to the East.....Roman's to the north.....with no defence but these flimsy wooden walls. I ask you will Hanno come to save you? ( Grabbing him by the scruff of his neck )....He cares not for these colonies, only Africa.....You are his brother.....But if I die....Don't forget YOU will be his chief rival....Trust me young man...You are stuck here in an untenable position unless I come back and save you....DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!!

Hamilcar threw him across the room....."You will hold this city......And if you do as I command I will embrace you as a brother. If you don't you will not have a friend in the world and will likely be taking a very short trip on a leaky boat. As long as you rule a colony not on the mainland, I am your only friend....Do not forget that"

Xtiaan72
03-23-2007, 12:05
(270) The Politics of Betrayal

Hamilcar arrived in Kart Hadast in the spring and was immediately ushered into the opulant chambers of his superior Mago Sharet.

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/7/3/23/f_CharthageTrm_6b08b33.jpg
Thriving Carthaginian Trade (270 BC)

"Hamilcar, I assume that you are very cross with me. Still trade and not arms is the strength of our nation. Perhaps we will end up ceding those two worthless islands to the Romans. But then we will simply trade with them. Those islands need far more of our goods than they can provide for us. It is not a losing proposition even if they are in Roman hands. And as bonus we will not have to defend them while the Romans will have to deal with partisans loyal to us. We can fight them with out even raising a weapon in anger and they will be hard pressed to blame it on us."

"Mago, Your wisdom is an inspiration to me"

" I have a mission for you. You have yet to prove your value as my heir. Hard times are coming and I have a test for you. I assume you brought the elephants back from Lilibeo."

" Yes, Shopet.....And any troops I thought I could spare from the defence of Lilibeo"

" Good, I am sending you west, the Numidians are acting up...Kirtan is too close and a thorn in our side. It's time to bring them into our loving arms. Will you see that it is done?"

"Shopet.....With pleasure.. What I'd like to do is continue west all the way to Tingis to establish a secure trading point between Africa and Iberia."

(Mago Laughed out loud) "You know you are my favorite, Hamilcar. Things may get difficult for you when I am dead"." If you think Hanno will let you trample all the way across Africa with no interference than I have some swamp land in Egypt I'd like to sell you"" And who knows he may end up proving to be a better successor than you.....Give me victories....and fill the coffers of Carthage"." Your future is in your hands Hamalcar. So I pray you have the favour of the Gods"

Xtiaan72
03-24-2007, 00:59
( 269 BC -268 BC)- Rebels and Rivalry

Hamilcar lead the forces on hand to bring Kirtan to heel. A treacherous journey through a desert mountain pass. His force was small but competent. Numidian cavalry, libyan Spearmen and two units of citizen militia. Citizens usually didn't volunteer for this kind of duty but were drafted from the Kart Hadast garrison on orders from Mago. But it was Hamilcar's prized war elephants that gave the host their confidence.

http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/7/3/23/xtiaan72/f_Kirtanm_597ce26.jpg
Kirtan is no match for Hamilcar's elephants

Kirtan fell in a bloodbath and word quickly spread that the empire had expanded. When Hanno learned of Hamilcar's exploits he called for one of his brothers to replace him as the governor of Lepki, mustered some meager forces of his own and raced to Kirtan to join Hamilcar. Hamilcar met him at the gates.

"Hamilcar, Well met, so I see the rumors are true. You have brought these currs to heel"

" It was nothing Hanno, They only needed a little gentle persuasion"

" You may be wondering why I'm here.......Well, I couldn't have you maurading through the Carthaginian hinderlands without proper supervision"

" You are welcome to supervise the cleanup duties for my elephants"

" HA.....A joker or a conquerer? Only with time will we learn who the real Hamilcar truly is"

" On a more serious note there is a matter that could use both of out attention. A group of Numidian bandits that have taken possession of a bridge between Kart Hadast and Ippone. They are accosting traders and demanding tribute. To attack them from one side would be bloody indeed. But if we each take a force and attack them from both sides we can put an end to their little games"

" My blood is up for a little scrap. Shall we put a wager on who crosses the bridge first? Say three hundred silver?

" Aye, I could use a new necklace for my mistress"

Hamilcar won the bet... Hamilcar and Hanno returned to Ippone to await furthur instructions from Mago when word reached them from the capital that Corsica & Sardinia had finally been ceded to the Romans. Hamilcar fell into a rage. Both men recieved new instructions. Hanno was to head south and conquer the desert city of Cydaus and Hamilcar was to return to Kart Hadast for instructions on a special mission.

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/7/3/23/xtiaan72/f_islandscedem_12e67ca.jpg
Rome takes control of the peace loving islands

Xtiaan72
03-24-2007, 01:56
http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/7/3/23/xtiaan72/f_MagoKartHadm_4065493.jpg
Shopet Mago at Kart Hadast( 266 BC)

"Hamilcar, You have served the council well....Sit..Sit.. There are many things we must discuss. As you know Rome has taken control Karali as we knew they would. There have been some unpleasant side effects. I was foolish not to forsee these things. The waters around Sicily are teaming with pirates, Epiroites, Roman ships of every description. This cannot be allowed to continue. The fate of our people depends on control of the seas. We must rebuild our fleet to it's former glory and introduce new bigger better ships that our rivals can't hope to match."

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/7/3/23/xtiaan72/f_FinancialRem_d23b65c.jpg

" But how Shopet! Our coffers are near empty fielding the meager armies we have. If we could get the rest of our mines in Iberia operational perhaps but reports from Hastrubal are not encouraging. The Iberians are getting restless."

" The Romans are here to stay and must be dealt with carefully but these Greeks must be taught a lesson. I order you to Sicily...Lay siege to Syracuse and sack it. Make no attempt to hold the city. We will use their ill gotten gains to build our ships and mines. And perhaps the Romans will tread more carefully when they see what Carthaginian arms can do"

" By your order Shopet, it will be done."

Xtiaan72
03-26-2007, 23:25
( 265 BC ) A Tale of Two Cities

Hanno urged the column on through the scorching sun. A three month trek through the desert had taken it's toll on his troops and Cydaus was still weeks away. Still Hanno was determined to prove his worth to the council.

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/7/3/26/xtiaan72/f_Hannoadvancm_06663fa.jpg

Meanwhile, his rival Hamilcar laid siege to Syracousai

http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/7/3/26/xtiaan72/f_Syracusam_acd9ab5.jpg

Hanno pushes his troops to within yards of the Cydaus city center but is ultimately repulsed. He begins the long journey back to Kart Hadast to face the judgement of the council.

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/7/3/26/xtiaan72/f_CydausDefeam_0bff708.jpg

Hamilcar is more successful with his mission. Syracousai falls in a storm of blood and fire. He returns to Kart Hadast with plunder for the council as ordered.

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/7/3/26/xtiaan72/f_Resistanceim_9598d5c.jpg

Empty
03-27-2007, 19:34
Oh! So Hanno didn't make it at Cydaus while Hamilcar gained a success... Thought the results gonna be vice versa according to preliminary screenshots:beam:
Great AAR! No comments though... :balloon2:

cyberVIP
03-28-2007, 09:34
Hi all
Sorry to be ugly man but look at
( 265 BC ) A Tale of Two Cities and
No attacking outside North Africa for 40 turns. ? Afaik Syracousai isn`t African polis, is it? :) just a notabene take easy

Xtiaan72
03-28-2007, 10:50
the intent was to not attack a major power. Sorry that was not clear. Syracuse is a rebel city ( And I did not hold it). Incidentally after I sacked the city it rebelled to the Epirotes. So now I am at war with them. Interesting stuff.

cyberVIP
03-28-2007, 13:15
Hm... Interesting thing indeed. Like Punic-Pyrrus war starts again :)
btw in my campaign as Rome ive occupy Syracousai in 213bc w/o rebell problem :-0 was confused (in comparison with rtr)

Zim
03-29-2007, 06:30
Starting my campaign tonight. I didn't know we were writing aars. :sweatdrop: Is it ok if I stick to some basic updates on my campaign/generals? Between school, work, and my Arverni aar I think it would be hard to write a lot.

Xtiaan72
03-29-2007, 09:58
Yea man..... I'm planning to take my time with the campaign as well.