PDA

View Full Version : Short Getai guide (first moves)

Rex_Pelasgorum
03-25-2007, 14:39
The Getai are one of the most interesting factions to play in EB, and i think they are one of the strongest also. They have acces to very good cavalry, (the tarabostes), very good horse-archers, and also phalanxes and shock infantry, all of these supported by quite a large number of missile unit types and light cavalry and infantry.

When you start the game, you have 2 armies on the field. One is outside your main city, Buridava, while the other one is at the border with Mykra Scythia. If you will look at the prospect of future profits, you will see that it is highly likely that you will go in a very large debt unless you disband most of your armyes. Howewer i do not recomand doing this.

This was tested on medium campaign dificulty (i always play with house rules - never attack a faction unless attacked, and so on), and the battle difficulty was hard.

FIRST TURN

Take all the units from Buridava and join them with the rest of the army nearby, then march against Getia Koile to take Sarmizegetusa. Sarmizegetusa is defended by the Agathyrsy, commanded by Scorilo (3 stars), and it will fall easyly into your hands. You need to take Sarmizegetusa becuase it has the Kogaion, it is your homeland, and even more, it has gold mines and many, many riches.

With the second army , cross into Scythia Minor and hire the Thracian mercenary cavalry (the one with the less Mnai), You will need them when you are going to assault Callatis. You need also Callatis because it has acces to the Amber Trade Route, it is a maritime province and it will help you alot later.

Build a farm in Buridava. You will need some financial building later.

Send your diplomat to the south to make ceasefire and trade rights with the Makedonians and Greeks. Also, Greeks may pay you for map informations, and as they are not interested in invading you, you should sell it to them.

FOLLOWING TURNS

Siege and take Sarmizegetusa ! But before attacking, have a missile barrage against the defenders. Move your Komatai light infantry near the ramming spot, in order to attack the enemy defenders with javelins. Keep the slingers somewhere behind them, and order them to target the enemy Light Phalanx. Once you have a breach in the wall, send the Light Phalanx to go inside. Send also Komatai light infantry to support them and prevent any outflanking. Move your general behind them as you advance trough the street battles, as he will raise the moral of the nearby troops. And it is for sure that you will meet some strong resistance.

After you take Sarmizegetusa, do not disband the troops, but send them to the south. You will need them when you are going to take Naissus.

Callatis is moderately defended. Use the same tactics as you used when taking Sarmizegetusa and it will work. Disband the Thracian mercernaryes, and send the slingers trough the south of the river Danube to aid the forces wich will besiege Naissus.

I recommand only to ocuppy these settlements and do not exterminate or enslave even if the debts by this time will look somehow like - 6000 or so... Enslaving or exterminating provinces inhabited by the same people as yours, gives bad traits to your fammily members.

When taking Naissus, it is a city with no walls. Howewer i suggest that you do not attack right now, better wait 3 turns and let the enemy come to you. It will be an easy kill.

After you have taken Naissus, i suggest to start disbanding more units. You will start gaining lots of money, and your debt will be gone in a year or so. With 4 provinces you have a good start , and later, when you feel yourself powerfull, i suggest to go and take Tylis. Probably the garrison will be weakened by Macedonian assaults, but even so, it is a strong garrison, so i suggest not to assault, let the enemy sally to you.

I do not advice to go and take settlements in the north, they are poor, and good for nothing. Head down towards the civilised world. ~;)

Power of Zalmoxis be with you !

Warmaster Horus
03-25-2007, 18:50
When taking Naissus, why do you recommend letting the enemy come at you? Seems better from a financial POV to attack directly. Meaning you can disband your troops faster (ergo not lose so much money).

Rex_Pelasgorum
03-26-2007, 12:00
Indeed, but you may loose many troops in the process, or even worse - risk loosing the battle. The decision depends heavily on the ammount of troops you have left after taking Sarmizegetusa and Callatis.... if you are able to take the city or not in a direct assault.

MoROmeTe
03-26-2007, 14:01
Well, I am beginning a bit differently... Playing on medium battle and very hard campaign difficulty (the game seems balanced this way)...

Turn 1: Take everything out of Buridava, make out for Naisos. The other army near Buridava should be sent towards Sarmisegetuza. Your army nearer to Olbia should go towards Kallatis. The spy near it does not move. The diplomat moves towards Pella.

Build as many Komatai in Buridava as many allows (I reckon about 7)...

Turn 2: Assault Naisos. It can be a pretty hard fight. Try and not loose to many soldiers. use the slingers and the javelin troops as much as you can. The worst part is the moment you have to assault a unit, usually a phalanx, entrenched in the town square. for some strange reasons, the avenues of attack there are limited and even multiple sides attacks are prone to heavy casualties. once you have the town move south to Serdike. Set the taxes to very low. You can also move the first Komatai produced in Buridava south towards Naisos.

Lay seige to Sarmisegetuza. Build a ram and wait one turn. Also move the other army closer to Kallatis. Insert the spy. Hope he does not get killed. Using the diplomat get a ceasefire and trade rights from the Makedonians. Move towards the Epeirotes.

Turn 3: Assault Sarmisegetuza. Conquer it. Leave a Komatai garrison, take taxes down to low and move your army towards Singidunum. This is a good time to move your capital to Sarmisegetuza and save the game. For some strange reason Eleutheroi tunr CTD's are frequent right about now.

Assault and conquer Kallatis. Leave a Komatai garrison and send the rest of the army to Buridava.

Lay seige to Serdike. Your army there might be a bit depleted so you might wanna wait it out, instead or assaulting. Be wise. By now the economic decline should be rather small.

Next: Take Singidunum. Leave garrison. By now your armies should all be fairly depleted and your economy slowly going towards the green. I usually leave garrisons and then I combine my remaining forces and take Ak-Ink and the settlement right north of Sarmisegetuza (Carondunum?)...

Then it is smooth sailing... Go for Tylis, Byzantion, Nikaea and leave and army in that area to deal with the Maks and Saleukids, maybe even Pontic armies that might engage. Go for Olbia, Pantablahblah and the other town in Crimea.

By now you should have a great array of troops you can field from Buridava and Sarmisegetuza. Go take out the Maks, Epeirotes and then KH. Engage the Sweboz for the last notdic settlements you need and then go after Patavium and Mediolanum.

Be sure to be ready for a real fight with the Romans or the Aedui, whichever gets the upper hand in Northern Italy...