PDA

View Full Version : Loosing a battle - High valour opponents

DSmidgy
03-27-2007, 17:20
Hi

I fought a battle on a bridge map (fighting was near a bridge) against a Yari Samurai unit of 9* command with bronze (Uesugi) shield. My army consisted of a 6* Yari Samurai general (Date) and four units of Warrior Monks. My troops were slaughtered. What gave the opposing unit an advantage - shield, 9*, bridge or a bug?

R'as al Ghul
03-27-2007, 17:57
Welcome,

what you describe is the cummulation of
- 9* General
- the shield which indicates an armour upgrade (not actually a shield)
- when defending a bridge head the defender gets a defense bonus

This is no bug, it happens in MTW, too. Jedi-generals they are called.
In the new version we've lowered the * for generals and the titles won't give as much command bonus anymore. 9*generals should be an exception, then.
It's just insane what 9* generals can do. And frustrating. Your army should not have lost.

R'as

CBR
03-27-2007, 18:07
Thats why archers and guns are your friends. Arrows and bullets dont care about valor :beam:

CBR

DSmidgy
03-27-2007, 18:53
Thanks for your quick replys.
So I guess I a have to start with a faction which has a 9* general.

Looking forward to play v8.0 of Samurai Warlords.

DSmidgy
03-27-2007, 18:58
Beta 8 that is.

Puzz3D
03-28-2007, 02:42
I fought a battle on a bridge map (fighting was near a bridge) against a Yari Samurai unit of 9* command with bronze (Uesugi) shield. My army consisted of a 6* Yari Samurai general (Date) and four units of Warrior Monks. My troops were slaughtered. What gave the opposing unit an advantage - shield, 9*, bridge or a bug?
What you want to look at is the valor rating of the units because units can have different valor ratings before the effect of the general's command stars is applied. The valor rating will include the effect of the general's command stars. You can also see the valor on the battlefield by counting the small flags.

Each 1 point of valor makes a unit 2 combat points (1.4x) stronger. The bronze shield will also make a unit 2 combat points (1.4x) stronger, and that's not reflected in the valor rating. Units get approximately 1 combat point for every 2 command stars of the general. So for a 3 command star difference between between generals that should be 1 or 2 combat points.

A WM is 5 combat points stronger than a YS. So, if the YS picked up a 2 point advantage from the general's command stars and 2 points from the bronze shield, then it would still be 1 combat point weaker than the WM. The incline at the river bank may provide another 1 point combat bonus to the YS making it equal to the WM. However, the enemy general could have up to 25 lives depending on his health. Then you have the battlefield upgrades of individual men as they accumulate kills. This benefits the stronger unit more since its men will be getting more kills.

You didn't say what difficulty level you're using. Even so, it seems to me the 4 units of WM should be able to win even if the YS was twice as strong. Send the WM's over one at a time so that they don't get the combat penalty for overlapping, and so that the combat is drawn out as long as possible making the YS get tired.

Another factor is morale. Your general might have vices which lowers morale and causes your units to run away sooner than they should. Press F1 to see the initial combat stats of your units including morale. In any case, morale is lowered for a unit which is loosing which will be the case if the YS is stronger than the WM.