PDA

View Full Version : A Seleukid guide ?

Pelopidas
03-28-2007, 09:43
I have searched but find no trace of a gameplay guid with the Arche Seleukeia.

I don't know for you, but I don't think they are so easy to play.

Indeed, when you play with the recommanded settings, with a campaign difficulty set on Very Hard. In medium difficulty, you'll have no problem at all to became the huge bahamoth the AI tends to be.

So, if no one have done this, I coul do a gameplay guide one day or another, but not today.
I would just let a few points open.

_ The first, longuest and greatest difficulty for you : your own empire !
You start with a huge, gargantuous dominion.
And the stability is not good at all.
First thing to do shall be a change of capital, personnaly, I always came back in Babylonia, but not further, for historical reasons.

The buildings choices is also extremely important.
Usually, I begin with making roads everywhere, to boast the trade and the movement af my armies at little cost.
Then I focus on cheap stability buildings/agriculture/trade. Just like in every of my campaign, in fact.

But your difficulties don't stop there.

In VH the AI is very agressive, and you could be at war with every of your neighbours in the very end of year 271. So you have also to make good defenses as quickly as possible, for multiple threat.
Stone walls are a good choice.
For the eastern front, I'm not the one who wage war first, being too busy on the Mediterrannean shores. I recommend a defensive posture as long as you haven't take Alexandria.

The Ptolemies are your greatest ennemy for now, don't forget that.
In a few years, they will bring you huge hosts of Galatikoi Kleruchoi, Basilikon Agema and all this übermensh.
Against them, you cannot afford to loose a single battle, because Antioch is your main conscription center, and sould be guarded properly.

Anyone as something to add ?

JeffBag
03-28-2007, 10:09
Personally, I switched my capital to Seleukeia, and focused my development mainly on my provinces in Asia Minor. In the east, I maintained a line of cities from Zadrakata, Apameia, Gabai, and Persopolis to act as my eastern wall, and basically ignored all other provinces in the east except for Antiocheia-Margiane, which I basically made into a stronghold which gets besieged every year. Somehow it managed to hold on for 20 years against Pahlavan and Baktrian stacks, giving me enough time to kick the Ptolemaioi out of the Levant, destroy Pontus, and kick the Hai out into the steppe.

Pelopidas
03-28-2007, 10:31
Asia Minor and all this mines and maritim trade, it's the best economic choice, I agree.
Seleukeia for capital, so do I :]

About the eastern provinces, I try to make also Azak a stronghold, for backup of Antiocheia-Margiane. I make also there an extensive use of characters, grouping 3 or 4 of them with cheap cavalry units, and use them to harass the Baktrian armies.
Against the Parthian, it's not so easy, you have to avoid their own characters, or have a very good trap to catch them.
On the other side, Pahlava haven't good infantry unit and so, have high difficulties to take town with stone walls.

Eliminating the Pontos kingdom quickly is also a good idea.

CaesarAugustus
03-29-2007, 01:35
I have searched but find no trace of a gameplay guid with the Arche Seleukeia.I don't know for you, but I don't think they are so easy to play.So, if no one have done this, I coul do a gameplay guide one day or another, but not today.

A guide to the AS would be nice, even if it were just for the opening moves to help set ypur empire straight. IMO, the AS is as intimidating to start a game with as the Western Roman Empire in vanilla BI. In my first (quickly abandoned) AS campaign, I moved my capital to Susa, though I suppose Seleukia makes more sense historically and because it is your greatest city.

abou
03-29-2007, 01:41
Pelopidas, you're killing me.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79867

CaesarAugustus
03-29-2007, 01:48
Thank you for the link, abou. That is what I was looking for.:bow:

abou
03-29-2007, 02:04
I do what I can.

Pelopidas
03-29-2007, 12:57
All my apologies, Abou...I'm sorry.

At last, it has highlighted the work you have done.

PS: " Pelopidas, you're killing me...", are you a relative of Kleomenos of Sparta ? ;]