PDA

View Full Version : Welsh v Vikings the close victory

Veho Nex
03-30-2007, 16:09
The night before last(damn me for not getting a screen)I had a fight which I considered my favorite. Well I had a welsh army of about 2000 bandits and 3000 Celtic warriors(yes im playing on huge unit size) any ways I invade Nordaland(I killed all their ships and they cant move armies off but still building massive amounts of units)so I invade thinking its not very many troops well their units all come in from across the sea in Jutland and build up so I have 5000 give or take vs. about 4000 men(very insane numbers) all my men were veterans from continuos battles with the Irish and the general was rank 9. To my surprise though they “Decided that they couldn’t win the fight” and they retreat to the castle and I’m like YES So 4 years goes by and their castle is about to fall(was busy taking Ireland so no siege for them) next turn they get reinforced by what I think was about 5000 Irish and I’m like well there goes my army.... and then to more of my disgust it wasn’t 5000 Irish it was 7000 I thought of reloading(instead auto resolve which I usually do) but I decided to command personally since 5000 versus 11 thousand would be good numbers.

In the very beginning the Viking hurscarles pound into my right flank killing about 400 men give or take while my left seems to beholding off the Irish. and then I have reinforcements waiting which consist of a many welsh bandits and Celtic warriors so im not worried about my initial units. Just as I’m about to push out with my left flank a combined force of Viking raiders and Irish nobles and Irish horsemen pound in and obliterate my left and screw it over... just then all the my right flank waver then get pounded into as more Viking raiders come in... god life sucked this is an horrific slaughter as all my untrained soldiers prepare to die or be captured.(I like to use my weaker units in the beginning and I had a second stack that I put on just before Vikings took out my boats) But my elite units are in my reinforcements and I entirely forgot about it... well my general has 1 man left(him lord Iago) any ways he’s far off to the right wavering and I said to my self that he should go over to where the enemy started off and have all the enemy coming towards him as I bring in all my reinforcements from behind. A couple minutes later all my excess units either retreated, were killed, or captured.

I was able to set up my pincer(how awesome is that a pincer with one unit on one side and about 2000 on the other) But elite units hold the higher ground over numbers. Just as they where in position and moving towards my general I pulled in the first wave of my reinforcements. If you were there or this game had it you would have heard the roar of 1000 well trained and equipped Celtic warriors as they bashed into the rear of about 1200 Irish kerns, highland clansmen, and horsemen. The Vikings whom were in the front saw a single man as my general charged in and killed off some hurscarles just as he hit. Just then the Irish started wavering, right then the 2nd wave of about 500 Celtic warriors and 500 welsh bandits pounded in to the Irish’s right flank. HAHA they’re broken and wont be coming back after that, so I let them retreat and pulled my guys back to rest. I lost about 200 men. During all this I pulled my general back so he could rest also and regain some energy. Now we outnumbered the Vikings 2 to1 and it looked good. But I forgot about the rest of the irish reinforcements which I didn’t know they could be called in(my friend mike did a slight mod so they reinforce once all the enemy units leave the field if and the general comes in the reinforcements) Crap... outnumbered again. Well to help my predicament I thought I would kill off as many Vikings as I could before the Irish reached me. Man you should have seen it 1300 fanatical Celtic warriors running in and 500 arrows went up and fell back down to bite into the flesh and mail of the Viking ranks. I think in the two volleys I got off before my men hit them I must have killed at least 100 men. Makes me think of three hundred... Any ways 1300 men crashed into little over 500 and killed about 100-200 on contact thanks to their strong charge. About a minute into the fight I having lost almost 250 guys to their 300-400 they wavered and retreated.

I told my smaller units to retreat so I could pull in my last 600 Celtic warriors. When my army was finally in position the Irish had set up their troops and where slowly marching upon my ranks. But Just as they where about to come in range of my archers they stopped and out from the hills on their left flank came 200 Viking raider cavalry and almost 800 Viking thralls. Not the strongest of their infantry but mixed with the additional 1600 or so archers and highland clans men from the Irish I was screwed. But LO a tactical advantage for me my general was up in the mountains on their right flank. If only I could get them to leave their archers unprotected long enough for me to crash down among their ranks with him... Several tense moment passed by.... They started marching... at a walk... then a full blown charge The thunder of hooves and armor clad feet charged over blood soaked ground. My men sitting on a small knoll had a slight height advantage though not enough to slow any charge. Closer, closer, and closer still with about 100 yards to go I let my archers have at them. Men fell in their ranks as they charged forward. At about 75 yards their archers stopped and let arrow fly. On both sides men fell to these flying bolts. God the horrid slaughter... Sissss... pause.... Sissss.... Pause... My god won’t the units ever meet in melee combat... Just as I couldn’t stand it any more and was about to send my units charging in, the front ranks of them hit the 15 yard mark... CHARGE 1400 Celtic warriors flooded down from that hill. It was awe inspiring to see the two four colors collide. Dark red and green against white and light green. They molded into each other kind like water on water where most have my fight have been like water and oil. Though men fell none routed or even wavered. Both sides where confident of victory. But after my archers had spent their last arrows I told them to join the fray but once they hit the back of my units they couldn’t move forward any more. So I had 600 men who couldn’t get close enough to use their swords. But I noticed that their archers weren’t running out of ammo and I was losing massive amounts of troops to their fire(though they were hitting their own guys as well) I decided to pull my general out of the hill. As he alone charged down that slope he crashed into the right flank of the archers before they had the chance to fire at him. The first group wavered then routed. Charging at the second group some Viking raider cavalry came out and stopped him.. Man this is FUBAR Can’t hit their rear now.... ohh well my men are pushing forward. Both of our armies where now tiring and seemed to be of equal size. The cavalry couldn’t get through their men to hit mine with their full ability. (I knew it!! Cavalry don’t have any actual strength unless they're in the open) but as I thought I would win this fight my very far right flank wavered for a second then broke... MAN!! Over 150 men started routing and it seem all was lost but then a bit of good luck shined. I broke their center almost 300 units wavered then routed in the center. But wait I have two choices I can pull right and hit men that forcing my guys to retreat or I can move forwards and left taking care of my left flanks and stopping their archers.

I heard the rout horn... wait what... that is usually played if my guys really start routing... NO MY LEFT FLANK GAH What happened... the raider cavalry that was chasing my general came in from behind... with 300 celts in the center I pushed left and tried to free up my routing men. I was capable of hitting them and my right flank routers where rallied and held position ... Since they were wavering I gave them a small break then I pulled them into my left flank so they can help out with that... but only 500 men against a good 700... GAH ... But just then their general died. Wow what was he doing but wait that was the Viking general and so his men start routing that only stops about 200 of the 700... GAH I have 500 wavering v 500 stout and confident.... ugh so instead of continuing on I left 100 there to hold them off and possibly die for their country.(Such brave souls. We will miss you mogar, freedy, bob...) I pulled my 400 men back to regroup and after my original 100 died I sat there thinking how can I beat these filthy Irish...(No offence towards any one I’m Irish and I love the Irish.. Just not in this fight...) man... but I noticed something... when they charge forward they kept their commander in the back away from any help.

He’s on noble cavalry but these are the older models they have wood shields and are on un armored horses. Maybe my commander can take these guys out(probably has about 5 life left)(he had a few virtues that would help any good commander out such as mighty warrior). Well as the Irish march towards what is left of my omnipotent army(omnipotent: having unlimited or very immense power) my commander crashed into the Irish leader but just as he hit they both died... wow that’s messed... I felt like I was going to throw up... Lord Iago couldn’t have been more than 35... he died an honorable death though killing the enemy leader... well on the other side of the map my men held off against the enemy attack. All the men whom were under the command where very loyal to lord Iago and so instead of worried about dead general it said inspired by death of general. Whoa what HEHEHEHE Gotta love mike I forgot he added the loyalty mod... anyways as my men fought with ferocity they didn’t do it with out taking their hits in the process. Even with the inspiration of the death of my commander my men started wavering and I was worried about my men. Then all hell broke loose. My men started routing but so did the Irish. First it was just one squad then all of the Irish broke. They were routing I don’t know how I did it but my men held out. I let them retreat and sped up the time so I didn’t have to wait. At the end of the match I killed 9567 captured 1234 I lost my commander and 4679 men... It was a sad victory.. Post the end of the fight I managed to finish off the last of the Irish and I won the game 5 years later...

Lord Iago we will never forget you

Orb
03-30-2007, 17:14
Paragraph!

No offense meant, but the current format makes it difficult to read.

FactionHeir
03-30-2007, 18:47
This topic is totally misplaced too.

Veho Nex
03-30-2007, 18:58
sorry i didn't know where to put this i thought it good and i felt like writing and for some reason when i copy paste into this it took away my orignal format i'll try and fix it

BTW: some parts i just wanted to get through and i didn't have much memory on then there are the parts that i wanted to do in detail cause you should have seen it

Galagros
03-30-2007, 19:16
This topic is totally misplaced too.

How is it totally misplaced? The description of the Throne Room states "Campaign and Battle Accounts written by Guild members, and Play-By-eMail Campaigns."

It's obvious that now it is used mainly for PBEMs, but I wouldn't call it totally misplaced.

FactionHeir
03-30-2007, 19:31
I think it would fit better into the mead hall subforum

econ21
03-30-2007, 19:33
I think it's fine here - AARs can go here or in the Mead Hall; I suspect the difference may be the extent to which the focus is on gameplay (Throne room) or literary aspirations (Mead Hall).

Veho Nex
03-30-2007, 19:47
wow no comment or suggestions for the story just hate on where it's situated