PDA

View Full Version : Map - pre battle images

barocca
04-04-2007, 02:06
these are fairly simple to make,

you need a screenshot of the battlefield,
120 pixels high by 716 pixels wide

the far left and far right edges need to be blended so you cannot see an obvious join
(one could take a simple image at 358 wide, copy and reverse and weld the two together)

then save the image as a 256 colour bitmap

using GDS convert the bmp into a 256 colour LBM

name the file the same Title as the map and drop it into the
MTW-VI\Battle\MapImage\Lush folder

a map for 4th kawanakajima is simply 4th kawanakajima.LBM

Do we have any volunteers??

cheers
B.

R'as al Ghul
04-04-2007, 08:20
GDS is a pain. Ultimate paint can also be used to convert?

I prefer to edit as much as possible in Photoshop, working on the tga file, and
only as a last step do I load it into UP to convert.

barocca
04-04-2007, 14:07
:-)
what a team - for me UP is a pain (i like GDS - but then, i was born to dos)
i too use photoshop to get as close as i can to finished product,
and only use GDS for conversions

macsen rufus
04-04-2007, 17:54
When in doubt ask someone who's already done it, I guess, and I can't really find any answer anywhere else yet... I've just laid my hands on UP and haven't yet found how to set colour palettes. In particular I'm wondering about unit battle icon .LBMs for now, but I will also need to do some pre-battle map pics as well soon..... Any pointers, even a link to another thread, would be gratefully received :2thumbsup:

(and I too was born to doss..... oh, that wasn't what you meant, was it? :laugh4: )

barocca
04-10-2007, 13:32
hmmm . . .

well if no-one wants to make them in their entirity, does anyone have time to take a few suitable screenshots of various maps?
every little bit (map) will be a great help

cheers
B.

Puzz3D
04-10-2007, 17:41
I could work on the map images. I made a set of map images for my Red Field of Patay map, so I know how to do it. I'm not keen on flipping the map just to get rid of the discontinuity at the edge because that will reduce the field of view by half and give a false impression of what's there. If the map images are all made from the attacker's perspective, the discontinuity will provide a reference to the left and right sides of the map.

barocca
04-11-2007, 13:08
a good point, (continuity)
many thanks
B.

R'as al Ghul
04-16-2007, 14:12
I've just laid my hands on UP and haven't yet found how to set colour palettes. In particular I'm wondering about unit battle icon .LBMs for now, but I will also need to do some pre-battle map pics as well soon..... Any pointers, even a link to another thread, would be gratefully received :2thumbsup:

Sorry for the late reply, do you still need help, macsen?

I'm afraif working on the palette in UP is not possible.
At least I never found out how.
I could tell you about .lbm's but we do them differently.
.lbm's are best created from bifs or bmps.
Anything specific that you want to know?

macsen rufus
04-16-2007, 17:35
Hi R'as - well, my first .lbm "project" is to make some new battle unit icons. I've got my review panel icons as bifs, no problems, I just need to copy these into UP I guess. I hope that means the palette will be okay? I usually make my bmps in Photoshop, where I can set the palette up (at least enough to get the faction colours and transparencies right :beam: ) and I have quite a few palettes saved for the BMPs so it makes it easier converting between formats etc. Is it possible to load bifs into UP, or do you need to go through BMPs along the way? I think I did try loading some BMPs in when I first got UP installed, but the palettes got mixed somehow, and nothing looked quite right... anyway, I'll take another look and see what problems I had.

I also will need to make some map images as well, but that's a little down the way yet. The battle icons are the urgent ones as I've got too many units with the same cloned lbms and it gets confusing in the heat of battle :laugh4:

R'as al Ghul
04-16-2007, 21:14
We make proper .lbm's with GDS, Graphic Display system by Photodex.
some lbm's clike the mapimages don't have indexed transparencies, for those you can use UP but UP doesn't save the palette entries that you need.

I can't find a download link, send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you the GDS program.

macsen rufus
04-19-2007, 12:46
Hi R'as,

I can't find a download link, send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you the GDS program

Sounds great, will do! Thanks :bow: