PDA

View Full Version : How to set up the STW SoundSwapper

Puzz3D
04-08-2007, 14:08
The STW SoundSwapper is now part of Samurai Warlords beta_8. The beta_8 install creates an \STW_SoundSwapper folder in the main folder of the game. This folder contains three DOS batch files:

SoundSetupSTW.bat
STWSoundcopy.bat
SoundSwapperSTW.bat

Important Note: The bat file requires the old DOS command file choice.com to display a menu in a DOS box. If you don't have it, the bat file will run but immediately exit. This command file is not included in Samurai Warlords beta_8. It is included in the samuraiwars_11b.zip or you can find it on the internet, but beware of spyware which may be attached. You can put it in C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder so that any bat file can find it.

There are four steps involved in moving STW music and sound files into Samurai Warlords:

1. Run SoundSetupSTW.bat. This will create a \Sounds folder in the \STW_SoundSwapper folder, and copy the MTW music and sound files into an \MTW folder under \STW_SoundSwapper\Sounds.

2. Copy STWSoundcopy.bat to you STW main game folder and run it. This will copy the STW music and sound files into an \STW folder in the main STW game folder.

3. Move (using copy and paste or cut and paste) that \STW folder from the STW main game folder to the \STW_SoundSwapper\Sounds folder in Samurai Warlords. You should now have \MTW and \STW folders containing music and sound files under the \STW_SoundSwapper\Sounds folder.

4.Run SoundSwapperSTW.bat and choose the options A and then C to install the STW music and sounds into Samurai Warlords. This will rename and copy the STW music and sound files into the Samurai Warlords \Sounds folder. You can go back to the MTW music and sounds by running SoundSwapperSTW.bat and choosing the B and D options.

Tomisama
04-09-2007, 15:29
Ok, did a little poking around, and found three versions of STW to VI sound transfer. The first one only transferred music and sounds, the second and third also had the voices (minus one or two that had no equivalents, which could be handled manually).

The current Beta 8 STW_Sound Swaper folder seems to only hold the first version. I have made both available if you would like to see what the differences are.

http://www.clanwarscomp.org/samurai/STW_Mod_Sound.zip

http://www.clanwarscomp.org/samurai/STW_Mod_Sound-v2.zip

(has both v2, and Update 1 of v2)

Now, not that I don’t appreciate all of the hard work done in developing this mod to date, because I sincerely do. But I was hoping that because we are now dealing with a dedicated copy of VI, that this time around we could get away from the swap idea (and it's complications), and possibly provide a simpler direct sound file replacement installer. Maybe even with the sounds to be installed downloadable?

I believe it would be a great benefit to the project as a whole.

Thoughts, and ideas on this?

R'as al Ghul
04-09-2007, 19:20
Hi Tomi,

maybe you missed this:

I've written a PM to CA, asking for permission to use the sound and music files.
A lot of what we need is already in the freely available Shogun demo.
Alas, not the battle event voice files.

R'as

BTW, Samurai use russian voices and euro music which is different than at the time the swapper was developed. Changes would've to be made to it to work properly and that's why I'm all for a downloadable set.
I've everything prepared and just wait for any word from Captain Fishpants.

Puzz3D
04-09-2007, 19:59
I was hoping that because we are now dealing with a dedicated copy of VI, that this time around we could get away from the swap idea (and it's complications), and possibly provide a simpler direct sound file replacement installer.
This is possible with the user only having to run one program and give the path to the STW install. However, if this utility is a DOS program there is a complication typing in a path that contains spaces or folder names that are longer than DOS can handle. It can be done, but the syntax is unusual.

Puzz3D
04-10-2007, 12:39
Samurai use russian voices and euro music which is different than at the time the swapper was developed.
Ok. So, the present SoundSwapper only gives Samurai Warlords beta_8 the STW music.

Tomisama
04-11-2007, 02:37
It should provide all the Sounds:

Sounds\Music
Sounds\Battle\Orders (as Latin not Russian)
Sounds\Frontend
Sounds\Battle\Troops

But not the Voices (BattelEvents/Catholic):

Foices\BattleEvents (Japanese)
Voices\BattleEvents (Jenglish)

(Some copying and renameing needed to create the third message version, which STW did not have. And removal of some other voice files not used in STW.)

Tosa is the expert on this I think :bow: