PDA

View Full Version : Casse General Mod - EB Team Test Request

Kull
04-10-2007, 04:19
The EB Team has been discussing the Casse General, and it looks like we've identified three major problems with their statistics. Taken together, these result in a unit that is one of the most fragile and useless in all of EB. We may post the full set of findings later, but to sum up:

1) Absence of secondary armor is probably the leading cause of chariot fragility.
2) Amount of javelin ammo seems needlessly low.
3) Secondary weapon was statted as a sword, yet the evidence suggests that only the chariot itself can *be* the weapon.

Accordingly, we would like for any Casse Players out there to replace the existing Casse General EDU entry with this one (for now we'll ignore the recruitable chariot, since the goal here is to test out the new stats and get your feedback):

;18
type celtic chariot cidainh bodyguards
dictionary celtic_chariot_cidainh ; Cidainh
category cavalry
class heavy
voice_type General_1
soldier celtic_charioteer, 10, 5, 1
mount celtic heavy chariot
mount_effect elephant -5, camel -1
attributes sea_faring, general_unit, hide_forest, frighten_foot, command
formation 7, 9, 15, 15, 2, square
stat_health 1, 2
stat_pri 5, 0, javelin, 57.8, 14, thrown, archery, piercing, spear, 10 ,1
stat_pri_attr thrown
stat_sec 5, 40, no, 0, 0, melee, other, blunt, none, 0 ,0.1
stat_sec_attr area, launching
stat_pri_armour 7, 6, 3, metal
stat_sec_armour 10, 12, flesh
stat_heat 3
stat_ground 0, 0, -5, -2
stat_mental 15, impetuous, untrained
stat_charge_dist 60
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 1349, 0, 10, 98, 1349
ownership britons, slave

To make the switch, find \EB\Data\export_descr_unit.txt and do a search for ";18". That will take you to the existing chariot entry. Simply replace it with the text posted above. This alteration is save game compatible!!

Dyabedes of Aphrodisias
04-10-2007, 06:14
Oh thank God. Unfortunately I can't test it tonight, but I will certainly put it in. I found myself hoping to God I could get some kind of regular cavalry unit, but if this means they won't die at 5 per second, then it's a great improvement.

However, I thought they had a pretty reasonable javelin stock, but I won't argue against more :D

[EDIT] Does that say their secondary armor is flesh? Haha!

Gask
04-10-2007, 07:35
Its not that they had alot of ammo its just that they throw them stupidly slow thus it makes it seem like more.

Caratacos
04-10-2007, 08:38
[EDIT] Does that say their secondary armor is flesh? Haha!

Yeah and that's the flesh of the two horses that pull the thing. If one of them gets killed the whole unit perishes-- chariot and the two guys with it-- as well as the other horse.... unfortunate, no?

Watchman
04-10-2007, 09:43
Looks interesting. Will try.

...incidentally, isn't the chariot crews' armour value a tad high given that besides helmets all they seem to be wearing is shirts and trousers ? Ditto for the "metal" sound effect of course...

Meneleus
04-10-2007, 14:03
They definately needed toughening up.

Will give this a go, thanks.

Dumbass
04-10-2007, 14:27
I think I'll stick with rycalawre general units. Anyway I think the cidainh chariot skin does not suit the general unit. The men on the chariots look like peasants and the chariots look shoddy and crappy and would suit basic chariot units, not a generals unit. I think another chariot unit should be made for the generals unit, one with richly adorned armoured chariots which don't look like they'll break in the next 5 minutes, and with warriors worthy of a king on the chariots. This is after all the generals unit, so why can#t they look more like other general units.

alatar
04-10-2007, 15:57
Just change the file yourself, on edu change the soliders in the chariots to a heavy unit, and add a line in DMB to give the unit you want a chariot skeleton, and your done (I think).

Watchman
04-10-2007, 21:04
Eh, the Celtic chariots were always of the light and deceptively simple-looking type AFAIK. Not that they wouldn't have been painted and so on of course, and probably have a few severed heads hanging here and there as a boast of the owner's martial prowess, but as their whole function was to be light and nimble "battle taxis" for the elite the Celts sure as heck weren't going to load them down with unnecessary bits and pieces.

And given how much they cost (given the actual technical complexity involved), the chariot itself was a status symbol enough even if left completely plain...

The basic charioteers look a bit bleh in their striped shirts and trousers though. Wonder if you could use something more macho like Milnaht or Rycalawre models instead ? The main snag I can foresee is possible trouble with the model refusing to present the spears as overhands/javelins, as I've seen happening when trying to convert the vanilla Pontic Heavy Cavalry into officers with overhands... :thinking:

Dyabedes of Aphrodisias
04-11-2007, 23:52
Yeah and that's the flesh of the two horses that pull the thing. If one of them gets killed the whole unit perishes-- chariot and the two guys with it-- as well as the other horse.... unfortunate, no?
Indeed. I was thinking more on the basis of "You're tasked with bodyguarding our chieftain. If you lose your shield and/or helmet, block the blow with your face. I'm dead serious." kind of thing.

Vorian
04-13-2007, 19:26
Good timing. I started a Casse campaign recently