PDA

View Full Version : Romani creating a leader guide

SaberHRE
04-11-2007, 07:56
Well I noticed, that apart from me, creating uber generals in EB is pretty hard, especially playing the Romans. So i decided to make a short guide to how to create a "Good" Roman.

My character(whose name I won't even try to spell) was a plebeian son of an adopted general. The general was a terrible idiot, being uncharismatic, dull, languorous. Despite this odds, he created one of the best Roman generals.

Achaicus(as I call him for his numerous victories against the Greeks), was firstly brought up in Rome, which was at the time pretty developed in terms of infrastructure(228 BC). A 4 years he spent in Roma governing, until his management points boosted up to 4 and influence to 2. Then I immediately sent him against some eleutheroi bastards with his new full army. This gave the new recruits some experience, and gave the guy Blooded trait. The I sent him against the Epeirote, where he defeated two 2000 men armies, and conquered two cities. I kept him in the cities no longer than a turn(to avoid nasty traits like lover of beauty etc.). Then all of a sudden the Greeks, who managed to conquer all modern day Greece, declared war with their 5 full armies. Achaicus defeated two which besieged their camp. He then viciously attacked the next 3 shattering their forces, however not destroying them fully. He then conquered Corinth and Athens. A second general called Octavianus assited him in Greece, conquering Sparta. Constant warfare, and good traits, developed him into an uber character. With 5 base stars, 8 management, 8 influence, I had to settle him in Pella because he was starting to grow old(35 years) and still without a wife. Next turns he got a wife, and a son and a daughter.

So my recipe for a good general. Achaicus had very few traits at the coming of his age. He was Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous, Unselfish/Optimistic/Loyal, Nobile, Plebeian, and i think two traits which add up to management and influence. Generals with very few traits, are ones who can be easily trained into glory. As Roman you should avoid keeping your general too long in the city, especially in Itallic cities, as they tend to get the lover of beauty trait.
I noticed that keeping generals in camps during campaigns give them the Spartan trait. Remember also to keep a CONSTANT eye on your general. He got to move him around even if he's not performing any major tasks anymore.

Post your guides to good generals.

LordCurlyton
04-11-2007, 08:31
Post a general in a border city you know will be besieged, repeatedly, by the AI. Build up its infrastructure, make sure he always has a good army, and voila, uber general. My one general, whom I shall refer to only as "Defender of Lepki", over the course of his life fought in more than 50 battles against Eleutheroi and then the Ptolies as they vainly tried to take the city. Under his leadership, it went from promising Large Town to thriving Large City. He was Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous, Unselfish/Optimistic/Loyal (one of my famous Pompolussia members) who spent the first 7 or so years on campaign conquerign Garama (and the town above it) before settling into Lepki at age 23 (or thereabouts). The Ptolies attacked soon after and they averaged about 1.5 sieges/year, with occasional droughts of 2 years or so as they rebuilt. Because of that he never got bored and eventually got to 8 stars, even though he did pick up the Lover of Beauty trait. His Management and Influence both made it to 10, though, what with him being a Great Victor and Conquering Hero and all that. He also had a darn good set of ancillaries. He died peacefully at the age of 65 (I almost never have one live past 65), upon which his son took over, who, while he may not get the command stars, was already an 8 Influence/Management governor at 22.
Of course it has been some time since I last had a general go on campaign; the Romans are just so awesome at managing cities and really boosting income that it seems such a waste to put them in the field, even if they do tend to become Corpulentis (I had over 20 at one point) and mildly fluffy and corrupt. They are still quite capable of doubling the income of cities as long as they have some latent ability (ex Rome w/o is 3400 or so, with is over 8k).

Wolfshart
04-11-2007, 16:49
Old at 35!?! Wow ....just wow. :laugh4: I try to roll play so that means new generals go straight to Roma and "study" for 4 years. They get lots of good managment/influence traits and such then at 20 they are shipped off to perform Tribune duties in the military until 30 and they either take over as general or become a gov in a city. In the big consular armies I will only ever use a general 40+ and retire them at 60. This means I always have 2 generals in my armies one acting as the tribune. So 22 or whatnot is really young to retire a general as far as I am concerned he hasn't even started his life yet. :p

alatar
04-11-2007, 19:53
Mine don't retire, Gallivs was 65 and a consul, made for war, his son, unselfish/optimistic/loyal sharp/carismatic/vigorous, hated war and wanted to be shipped back within a year. His dad died in his sleep however, and my other good general (a gaul who I'd bribed), had died in a battleso he is seiging bibarate for the second time, after I auto resolved the firsst seige, 2000 romans agaist 100 gauls. Bastard. Once he wins he's heading home after sacking the pace and killing everyone, he'll never sleep again.

Boyar Son
04-12-2007, 23:21
Mine don't retire, Gallivs was 65 and a consul, made for war, his son, unselfish/optimistic/loyal sharp/carismatic/vigorous, hated war and wanted to be shipped back within a year. His dad died in his sleep however, and my other good general (a gaul who I'd bribed), had died in a battleso he is seiging bibarate for the second time, after I auto resolved the firsst seige, 2000 romans agaist 100 gauls. Bastard. Once he wins he's heading home after sacking the pace and killing everyone, he'll never sleep again.

Muhahaha!

show that tree hugging son how to be a man!:2thumbsup:

alatar
04-13-2007, 16:52
I sent him back to Rome to live out his life (he had huge management) but luckly for him the Macedonian are goeetig close to our borders, once the recruitments done he can take them out (he is now a consul, though the real power lives with Cavius Avrlivs Cotta, named Macedonivs and possible Arficanvis if I want him to.
He entered grece with the aim of destroying Eperious (Mac's proteterate) and helping the KH, who only had Sparta, Rhodes, Thermon (sp) and Cornith in there alliance.
The Epirote king and his army were outside Thermon, but were neutral to the KH, Macedonivs preempted there attack, nd drove them into the sea.
He then took the Epirote capitial and refrained from hurting the civilians or demolishing the shrine and temple of Zeus, he gave it to the KH instead.
Then he took their last city for him self.
Then he marched east, taking every macondian city he saw, when 5 were taken and Bystantium as his he gave it to the KH, and then retook Athens for them. He was named imperetor by his troops, but still has not claimed his truimph, not untill Mecedonia is out of greace and Charthage is destroyed.
Unfotuneally he's 57 so the chances are slim he'll make it...

Pelopidas
04-13-2007, 17:29
In order to gain command stars, I assume that you auto-resolve battles ?

When I do battles by myself, my generals never gain anything at all...

alatar
04-13-2007, 21:57
Caivs Avralivs Cotta Maconivs Africanvs is dead, he died in the Carthagian city of Ippon, with 7 Command, 10 Management, 10 Influence, and a truipmh in Roma. Conger of Charago, Vanisher of the Macedonian and Subegator of Athens.
He had no son, but he had 4 Daurghters who all married Sharp/Charismatic/Vigerous men. His blood is in the rulers of Rome, he was a Pleb, but he died the most noble man in Rome.

Ippone lost 200 happines when he died, and his vetren legions will stay by his tomb from now on.

He had over 25 victories behind him, and had marched from east to west, he will be missed.