PDA

View Full Version : unit coherency

Sir Chauncy
12-04-2001, 18:45
I may be wrong about this but didn't units that were trained have a distinct advantage over other troops because they worked as a unit? Admittedly, you could over come them by fightly savagly but my main point still stands.
The roman troops could advance under missile fire due to the design of their shields and were hard to damage. Should a unit of pikemen stick together very little could get close enough to hurt them, whatever direction it atacked from. I understand the limitations of the engine but maybe this could be incorporated a little more.

Klen Sakurai
12-04-2001, 19:42
that sort of thing has been experimented with in mods quite a bit, one example being Khan7's Real Deal mod which I think may be as close as they've come... but still I dunno if the engine is designed to handle cohesion very well, since if a yari unit is split up it performs almost as well against cavalry etc. ya never know if they corrected that with the next engine, though, not until the game comes out or they hype up the new tweak. Personally I doubt a significant difference in the tactical engine will be implemented though.

------------------
Why do I love when I still feel pain; when does it end, when is my work done? Why do I fight, and why do I feel that I carry a sword through a battlefield? (VNV Nation)

Nelson
12-06-2001, 04:58
Some units, French cavalry in particular, should be VERY impetuous. Uncontrollably so on occasion. Plans, tactics, it all could go to hell in a hand basket.

Khan7
12-06-2001, 05:15
Cavalry and units in general are alot harder to control in real life than in Shogun. Cavalry in particular-- commanders of all eras always had difficulty with keeping their cavalry from going galavanting off after a fleeing enemy, or doing other unpredictable things.. though these problems tended to be very dependent on the overall level of discipline, the clarity of the orders, and the strength of personality of the commander.

Matt

Klen Sakurai
12-06-2001, 06:29
Interesting that even one of the movies CA used as an example of the game's era, Kagemusha, shows examples of this. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Why do I love when I still feel pain; when does it end, when is my work done? Why do I fight, and why do I feel that I carry a sword through a battlefield? (VNV Nation)