PDA

View Full Version : The little things

Trousermonkey
12-08-2001, 02:31
The game sounds as if it's progressed too far to make any big changes but how about some little things (tweaks) to ease and enhance gameplay? We're not too late for that are we? These are some things that I would have liked to have seen with shogun and I think should be part of MTW if they aren't already;

1. I want direct TCP/IP connectivity for multiplayer. This is as important as any other new gameplay issues for increasing the quality of the game.

2. I want the ability to more easily personalize the characters in my campaign. This would be done by either specifically mentioning any unusually brutal or cowardly generals in the after action report or giving the player an option to put a bookmark on a character allowing them to keep track of that villain/hero for future reference. After a particularity humiliating defeat I could note the enemy general in command and monitor his subsequent movements for an opportunity to return the humiliation later when I had the advantage.

3. Finally, and this has been brought up before, it would be nice if there could be some additional bonus to increase the effectiveness of an army if they've been together in the field for a period of time. A group of units that had fought in many wars together would grow hardened in battle and more comfortable with how their general and comrades worked together. This could be reflected by a small bonus in battle (honor or perhaps movement rate -as they anticipate the commands their general will give).

4. A slightly dynamic lighting scheme for timed battles. If the current light source dimmed slightly or caused the horizon to redden as if dusk was approaching at the end of day when the timer was about to run out, it would be another visual indication (more psychological I would think) that you have to just hold out a little longer or make that final push to break the enemy before the timer ends it for you.

anything else? are we too late to even take these into consideration?

Sir Kuma of The Org
12-08-2001, 03:08
I don't know Trousermonkey. In the interview given to game spot, the creative director says this: "All the pieces are in place, the campaigns, the battles, the sieges and the units, and it's now a case of getting the gameplay, balancing, and polish of the game spot-on and ironing the bugs out."

BUT WHEN ASKED: "What is the team working on right now?"

HE ANSWERS:
"In general, the focus is on the gameplay and AI of both the strategy map and the battles themselves and on reviewing our wish lists to see what extras we can squeeze in."

So are they taking the time to read about our wish list? What do you think?

Trousermonkey
12-08-2001, 04:40
I guess as long as the state of the development process is in doubt we should continue to make suggestions; for even if we don't get everything we ask for, it would be an even bigger tragedy to not get something because we never asked at all. I was also hoping to get feedback on some little, easily implimented additions that might help improve gameplay even at this advanced stage. Hotkeys? extra sounds? something that would ease the current control scheme or smooth the front end? extra models? ideas?

Dark Phoenix
12-08-2001, 08:43
Well what I would like is to be able to setup when you are attacking in the campaign like you can as the defender.

------------------
"DP is correct" - Shiro

solypsist
12-09-2001, 02:14
Quote Well what I would like is to be able to setup when you are attacking in the campaign like you can as the defender.[/QUOTE]

you just might get it!