PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE: allow us to buy generals

MagyarKhans Cham
12-15-2001, 09:24
yup, small units of about 10 men which generates a morale bonus when placed nearby a unit.

besides teh 16 units i think people can handle 1 general and 3 subgenerals.

let them cost money, and allow them to assign them to a unit ...

more suggestions on this theme guys?

Khan7
12-15-2001, 13:08
An interesting idea.. the issue of C&C should be handled somehow, but whether or not simply pumping out a little general unit is going to be the way to do it I dunno.

Of course actually, it sounds like you just want a little general unit.. to boost morale. Well.. I dunno that would be okay, but I definitely wouldn't mark it as a priority game improvement. If they worked in a C&C model and this was a part of it, then great. But I have a feeling we won't be getting much C&C this time 'round.

Matt

Catiline
12-15-2001, 21:13
I'd like it if you could purchase general rank as well, so you could spend your cash on a general who gives your entire army a +2 honour bonus. Woe be tide you then if he dies....

------------------
Oderint dum metuant

BSM_Skkzarg
12-16-2001, 05:43
Generals - ahhh the smell of fresh blood at dawn. Anyone ever play a very old game called Centurion: Defender of Rome ?
The "general" was always a guy on horseback. He was fast, but not good in combat himself. The key was he had 2 value's - Voice and Leadership. In the case of TW games - Leadership would be the extra "honor" bonus he gives to units - while voice defines how large the radius around him is that units get the extra benefit of his direct skill in supervision. They should also give a command rating, another area in which a unit inside the area can be directly controlled, where one outside the radius suffers initiative delays in recieving orders, etc. This way, one could model true C&C issues, or one could supplement with multiple commanders. Due to their one man stature, and their emphasis on command, they are not to be used in combat, and are quite quick to fall if not protected adequately.

Generals should not be "created", but purchased out of a personnel pool - available to all players. Yes - that means that the AI could grab that good general before you do if they have the appropriate funds available. The one exception to this are the historical heirs who would be "born" similiar to their appearance in shogun.

Once battle is joined - the player could place their commanders as they saw fit to work within their strategy. While this would mean that the player would have additional "units" to control, it could be done so that a general be given a "set" of units to command (by selecting them and assigning the leader) and would then stay in the area required to do so automatically, barring attacks on his person or morale failure of course.

Of course - if one can hire a commander - one must pay him appropriately as compared with his ability - and a bad commander one could dismiss - or even execute. If you wanted to get detailed enough - you could even track each leader's wins and defeats against various opponents - allowing for subplots of intrigue such as feuds between commanders, a leader and his former employer, etc.
Thoughts??
Qapla!

------------------
BSM_Skkzarg
"A mind is a terrible thing to taste."

Anssi Hakkinen
12-16-2001, 07:22
There was a most eloquent and complex system of buying generals and holding their loyalty in the old strategy game Romance of the Three Kingdoms(III, IIRC). Something similar, even if noticeably less complex, would add a lot to the RPG side of things.

I don't think a scale of 16 units per army would really warrant separate officer units apart from the one general unit we already have, though. IMHO it would just add to micromanagement for no good reason.

------------------
"No matter what it is, there is nothing that cannot be done. If one manifests the determination, he can move heaven and earth as he pleases. But because man is pluckless, he cannot set his mind to it. Moving heaven and earth without putting forth effort is simply a matter of concentration".
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Hirosito
12-16-2001, 19:33
that game was classic BSM the best commander was scipio aficanus with a good army he couldn't be defeated. i still have the game on floppy somewhere for a second there i was tempted to look for it.....

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.