PDA

View Full Version : strategic units and heirs of the throne

Varg1204
04-14-2007, 15:04
hello Total Realism-Team,

I wondered if u gonna corret that big vanilla mistake in ur mod, that srategic units like spies, assassins can't be used on ur own generals, too. In M1TW this was possible and gave the player the opportunity to intrigue within the nobles and royal family, which is historic proofed and therefore would be a good idea to include it again.

Something else is that the faction heir can't be choosed any more by the player, which is extremely bad, too. It wasn't always the oldest son of the king or kaiser, who followed on the throne, often the ruler made the most promising son to their heir. But even then there was intrigue and attempts to kill each other within the royals and nobles. so if it isn't possible to get rid off the automatic choosing of the successor, then it should be at least possible to assassinate or intrigue through strategic units. It would make the whole gameplay a lot more realistic again

The names issue: In M2TW often Generals have some kind of stupid names (I've heard from a Russian guy, that the russian faction names for example are completely ridiculous and pure fantasy names, I only can tell u about the German name issue, that they are displayed in their English version and not in the correct German one: f.e. Henry instead of Heinrich, Frederick instead of Friedrich, Charles instead of Karl, Louis/Lewis instead of Ludwig, and so on....) I hope that u'll have a solution for this in the Total Realismn mod.
Something else that troubles me in vanilla M2TW is, that I never had some kings with the same names: f.e. like Henry I, Henry II. and so on. Perhaps the engine prevents this, but hopefully u will fix this, because it is completely silly to prevent a faction from having or developing a special dynasty first-name, which is absolutely historic.

Abe Froman
04-15-2007, 04:14
1. Agreed that assassains should be able to kill your own generals, however we haven't yet started working on agent behaviors.

2. The automatic heir selection is hardcoded and, from what I have heard, not slated to be changed. I am hoping this gets patched along with other things :dizzy2:

3. Names will be much improved. Epitaphs though are a bit trickier as the game overwrites them and uses the last one. So even if you start with Henry II he may become Henry the Great later on.

Varg1204
04-15-2007, 05:50
good to hear :beam:

looking forward to ur first preview! :yes:

AnthoniusII
04-16-2007, 09:43
What about if an emperor or a king has only female heirs?Divided kingtoms? Elections or civil wars between king's sons inlaw?In this case what if the dead king had allready maried one of his dauters whith an other king for diplomacy reasons?Could this king through his wife claim part of the kingdom and as a resault a war?:laugh4:

Hross af Guttenburg
04-16-2007, 15:10
I have been thinking about this recently, yes there should be ways of appropriating other factions by vassalage etc, or even taking partial control over the papal states when your cardinal becomes Pope, but this is a secondary interest.

Pirincesses and queens should be able to remain on the start map after marriage, and retain diplomatic powers even morale effects for the province they 'live' in. They should be able to remarry and inherit or even rule. Since we cannot even set faction heirs at the moment this is never going to happen. But these characters should even be able to raise armies and stand on the battlefield effecting morale just as a male noble. If all your nobles die out apart from the princess you married off to another faction you should in theory be able to have her rule your faction and your children possibly inherit both factions... or even through her you become the other faction as well as your own, a new twin faction I suppose... Like I say, never happen, but something for the swines at CA to think about in future games.

AnthoniusII
04-17-2007, 09:47
That's why i posted a topic a month ago asking if in this case would be possible to have civil wars just like MTW taking the ones side or the others and the opponet beeing rebbel faction.In MTW was very often in Byzantine empire and it was very realistic.For examble having the byz.empire in M2TW none can stop me and in mods (1year=2 turns) i had 60 reegions in 1300... What the programers team could do about yhat?If they could achive this possibility the mod would be the most realistic of all!:idea2:

Jobst_vonGrünungen
04-22-2007, 06:00
I would tack on to the simple point that it is irritating to not be able to choose your own heir, something which I have noticed. Sometimes the game will make an adopted son heir before someone of royal who is also of age..! Ludicrous! Specifically, a King died, his son became king, his son's sons were underage, so the guy next to the new King on the family member chart became prince... But he was adopted! And the King had two Royal brothers!

What would be delightful would be a "Regent" system. Where the heir becomes Prince or even King regardless of age, whether he's 1 or 15, and the closest male relative of Royal blood becomes "Regent" until the "King" reaches his majority... A guy can dream, can't he?

Vazul's Ghost
04-24-2007, 09:04
What would be delightful would be a "Regent" system. Where the heir becomes Prince or even King regardless of age, whether he's 1 or 15, and the closest male relative of Royal blood becomes "Regent" until the "King" reaches his majority... A guy can dream, can't he?

Actually that shouldn't be so impossible to do, as the system of heritage doesn't need to be recoded, a new title or perhaps military based agent would need to be added to the game... Or would that be too hard? I'm not really the programming type, just being optimistic.