PDA

View Full Version : Tips on pahlava

ZhaZ
04-15-2007, 09:44
Struggling a bit with their economy. Stay with the initial cities and fix economy or expand with the initial armies to get more villages in the north? Whats the best idea to start getting a surplus of resources you think?

Ower
04-15-2007, 11:36
somoeno, pointed out that there can be a bug with the mines in Nisa, so that can be a problem as well. I think the best thing is to smash the AS as soon as possible, because they gen crazy amouts of money for thouse many cities (1200 for each). If you are lucky, you can use your initial spies, to make the cities beneath your starting ones rebel and tak them whitout starting a war whit AS right away, wich can give you a few turn advantage before the Grey death decents apon you.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-15-2007, 11:41
Someone posted advise a couple months ago (Kull or maybe Foot...I don't remember).
Something along the lines of take Asaak, Hekatompylos, & Zadrakata then build an economy. And whatever you do don't take Antiocheia-Margaine or Marakanda Alexandriea-Ariane, it will put you into conflict with Baktria.

Ower
04-15-2007, 11:58
I think it was Alexandria - Ariane, not Antiocheia - Margaine.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-15-2007, 13:30
I think it was Alexandria - Ariane, not Antiocheia - Margaine.
Oh yeah, I think you're right, you can take AniocheiaM and Baktria will leave you alone for some reason. AlexandreiaA and they immediately attack.

Ower
04-15-2007, 17:22
They'll leave you alone, for some time. In me campain like 10 turns or 12. then they headet for A-M so I atacked the stack right outside the town, as the first to keep the alies.

ZhaZ
04-16-2007, 17:42
Looks like im heading into trouble then :)

Ower
04-16-2007, 18:26
My problem could have been, that I didn't have money to gift them, to keep them frendlie. But that didnt mater, because as the war started I took Madrakarta and Baktra in 2 or 3 turns :whip: , and then the Hai took care for peace ~;p .

ZhaZ
04-17-2007, 08:52
My problem seems to be how to conquer these cities when my starting economy is negative. I just dont have resources to field armies.

Ower
04-17-2007, 09:59
you have to use your starting armies and spies, + starting funds, to take the 3 cities of the AS under your starting ones, and continue for A-M, and S and SW (especialy Susa and Ekebana, thanks to the pases they can be easely defeanded, whit missial troops)

ZhaZ
04-17-2007, 10:07
I think ive the nisa mines bug. I get no income from them unfortunatedly :/

Ower
04-17-2007, 10:18
I think everyone has it, including me. That's why its important to take the province under Asaak, which has mines.

ZhaZ
04-18-2007, 08:15
Got it. Barely surviving for now :).

Ower
04-18-2007, 08:51
Jup the first few turns are quit chalenging, but as you take 2-3 AS setllements and use diplomacy for aditonal funds, it only gets better.

temenid
04-26-2007, 14:55
I love the Parthian early game. To fix the economy, I disbanded all the foot troops and mercenary raiders, then sold all my trade improvements*. This left me with 15000 mnai, which was easily replenished (despite building a constant stream of new shivatir) by exterminating cities and selling their trade improvements as well.

Militarily, I developed five main armies:

Arsaces took Marakanda before dying of old age.
Bagabigna took Antiocheia-Margiane, Baktria, Alexandria-Ariane, Prophthasia, Alexandropolis (for the elephants), Karamanda.
Ardumanish took Asaak, Hekatompylos, Apameia, Susa.
Phraotes (who moves fast) took Zadrakata, Ekbatana, Seleukeia and Arbela.
Achaemenes took Gabai, Persepolis and Charax.

Surprisingly, this was the easy bit. The Seleukids tend to field slow-moving, lightly armoured troops east of the Zagros (horse archer fodder), although the Baktrians are more difficult. I got lucky and wiped out the Baktrian family members in three battles.

Once you're fighting in the west against allied Seleukid/Makedonian/Ptolemaic forces, battles become more challenging. But you can't make an omelette without burning Pella to the ground**.

* Take a look at the settlement details. You can sell some trade improvements for 1066 mnai, but their existence only adds 10 mnai per turn to your coffers. In the east, your ROI will be much higher if you invest in troops rather than trade, so I see this as a no-brainer.

** Didn't actually burn Pella to the ground, although that was my aim. My EB install got corrupted shortly after Byzantion fell. Starting again now with a modded 0 turn recruitment campaign, to see what that's like.