PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE: allow us to make our own banners!!!

MagyarKhans Cham
12-15-2001, 09:18
this would add really something, your own banner by selecting a simple bitmap into a nice and little programm which generates a banner.

this will add something for the clans and will stimulate the players bigtime...

VOTE YES for this guys!

Khan7
12-15-2001, 13:15
Low-priority. There are so many other things they could be working on, like gameplay etc. I dunno, if it was just a matter of putting it in, that'd be okay, but I'm more interested in substance improvements rather than style.

And I suspect this particular one would take some serious doing.

Matt

theforce
12-16-2001, 00:15
Well sounds like a nice idea. It would be cool for clan to use a certain banner. But also there are some stupid people that would add every sort of banner in the game http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html

NARF
12-16-2001, 00:17
Id say just one banner that represents your whole army, that would be so awesome.

ShadesWolf
12-16-2001, 01:12
Totally agree, it would be nice to have your own standards flying in battle

BSM_Skkzarg
12-16-2001, 06:06
Again I am with Khan7 on this, its low priority. Yes - it would be nice, but its glitter - not gameplay. If it makes it great, but don't take resources away from gameplay to make it happen. Not to mention you know there are gonna be some WeEzLaPiNuRaSs or somesuch that will end up with a banner that is something lame and/or offensive like an erect penis or a woman's spread genitals. Not particularly the kind of "art"-work I care to see when I sit down to play. Best focus is on gameplay instead.
Qapla!

------------------
BSM_Skkzarg
"A mind is a terrible thing to taste."

Funkybax
12-16-2001, 06:25
BSM_Skkzarg
Legendary Swordsman

I agree.
Better focus on the game.
Bye.
Funkybax

MagyarKhans Cham
12-16-2001, 07:40
ofcourse focus on gameplay but we all know the game needs to be sold first and gameplay is obtained by the patches follwing it.

what looks better in an add?

"and you are even able to make your own battlebanners"

or

"and we improved the gameplay"

lol

clink
12-16-2001, 07:50
If it does'nt get in the way of game play,sure why not. Throw it in for extra if its not to much work.
True there will be some undesirables when on line,if they want to project themselves that way they won't be impressing me.*ignore

------------------
TeuTonic

Obake
12-16-2001, 13:38
Admittedly gameplay will and should take priority. However, having your own banners would be my number one choice for eye-candy.

There are a few games out there that do allow this (Mechwarrior 4 si a good example). Typically though, the only way anyone else would be able to see your banner would be if they had installed it into THEIR "custom banners" folder. That would quickly solve the problem with lewd banners. I would imagine a "banner pack" of say 64 banners that people could install that would include Clan banners along with a few others.

Just a thought on eye-candy. Don't sacrifice gameplay for this though. It's not worth it.

------------------
Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Shiro
12-17-2001, 01:55
Oh come on! Of course we want gameplay, but let's lighten up. This would be a great little thing to add and I assume not that much work would be needed for it. Games with a certain polish always do better than games without. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Khan7
12-17-2001, 01:57
Well, all I can say is it wouldn't attract me to the game. I can't speak for others though. If they want to, fine.

Matt

MagyarKhans Cham
12-17-2001, 06:30
good point obake, let each clan design its own banner!!! and let it be one to be used in the game.

Vanya
12-19-2001, 02:50
Ah... nice! But... how will your opponent see your custom banners? Will they have to have the same banner files on their PC?!? Surely, this would be a disaster! So... your PC would have to communicate to their PC(s) what banners to show for your pig-dogs. WELL... since they didn't do this for unit stats and maps, I see no chance of them doing this for such eye candy as custom banners. (And this is probably sound due to virus threats and security violations and what-not...) So... in all likelihood, this idea will be fed to the alley cats. Although I did like it... and would have made my own banners. But alas, the cats grow fat!

Obake
12-20-2001, 02:50
Point of clarification for Vanya's sake.

My experience with "custom banners" is that there would be a listing within the Game Options menu where individuals would be able to cylce through your banners and set which custom banner is displayed. Within the game folder itself, there is a folder where all of your banners are stored (jpeg or gif format) with some form of limit (say 512, or 1024 to account for Clans and individuals).

In SP, whatever banner you have selected is the one that will show up for your army.

In MP, your opponents custom banners will only be displayed if you have them already installed in your folder. There is NO on-the-fly transfer of banners for exactly the reasons you bring up.

The biggest problem with having custom banners for MTW is that they aren't that large. In Mechwarrior 4 (where my experience comes from) the "decals" are either 32x32 or 64x64-bit jpegs. Both of these would be way too big for a unit banner in STW and therefore (I'm assuming) MTW.

Besides, if the guys at CA haven't already considered this, I think it's a bit late in the development process to throw this in since there will be some additional coding required and possibly even a substantial amount of it.

It sure would be fun though!

------------------
Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

JAG
12-20-2001, 04:41
it would be great! but like the naval battles i don't think it would happen . . it would be very fun tho. .hehe each clan with a diff banner! hehehe http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Sarcasm . . . . . Never!

WarlordWarrior

MagyarKhans Cham
12-22-2001, 08:29
perhaps not teh whole banner but the little pic on it will do for me

Vanya
12-27-2001, 22:04
Obake proved my point. Tsankiu verimush!