PDA

View Full Version : What this game needs(well, what I want)

High Voltage
01-04-2002, 12:05
Formation editor: I asked for this a while back, lets us make our own formations then have hotkeys for them, so before battles it doesn't take forever to make a good formation, or if I forgot a good one it won't be lost.

Battle cries: Command that has units scream or do some kind of war cry when charging. Doesn't really change gameplay, but adds to realism and enhances the mood of the game.

"Clashing" battle lines: When your units collide with the enemy, make sure we know it's a collision, with sound effects and visuals to show the power of cavalry colliding into soldiers or whatever.

More angles for 2d sprits: Take the game Cossacks for example. It used 2d sprites, but there were so many sprites used for one given character, then when you turn around a naval ship for example, it looks 3d and moves fluid and realisticly. This will dramatically improve the graphics and give the illusion of 3d objects.

Battle time: As mentioned before, increase battle time. Instead of 5 minute battles, at least give us the option for over 15 minutes of carnage. Some ancient battles lasted for several hours(alexander vs porus lasted over 6 hours).

Great impact damage: This applies on charging lines. As soon as the units clash, there should be casualties instantly(ie spears stabbing units).

One more thing, it won't be implamented because of 2d sprites, but would be cool in the future when 3d characters can be used in large numbers. Using different bodies areas for damage like in SoF. If a soldier slices another in the arm, the arm falls off. If an arrow comes at a soldier, but he raises his shield, then the arrow is blocked, etc.

solypsist
01-04-2002, 12:43
you lost credibility with me when you used the game Cossacks as an example...

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-04-2002, 20:33
Harsh Soly, very Harsh.....

In Any case, i agree with most of the comments about sound effects by High Voltage, although STW had already great sounds. They are easier to implement than visuals and will only add to games atmosphere.

Kraellin
01-04-2002, 20:53
hehehe...i totally agree with soly about cossacks.

but before we turn this into a cossack bashing thread, i agree with high voltage with two conditions, game play doesnt suffer due to 'eye candy' and game speed doesnt suffer due to 'eye candy'. i can live without 'enhanced carnage', however. arms, legs and heads falling off and blood spurting doesnt do a thing for me in war games. besides, krast and vanya would then want the ability to display these heads and i'm not sure i want to see my own head in krast's cooking pot ;)

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

Nelson
01-04-2002, 22:15
High Voltage is right. More battle sounds would be welcome. I would like the men to cheer at least once when a great taisho or diamyo approaches.

Wether or not you like Cossacks, it is good looking. The biggest hurdle I face in trying to get more of my friends to play STW is the unit sprites. Many people don't like them because they compare them to AoK and Cossacks. Call it eye candy if you will, declare these old school RTS gamers shallow build and rush fiends if you like, but this game would sell more if the soldiers looked better.

Krasturak
01-05-2002, 05:46
Gah! Yes! Gah!

Have lots of angles for the heads!

Use three, four hundred sprites for heads.

Then also make some coffin objects.

Then also maybe a cinematic sequence for Krast creeping in and out of the coffin.

And pot objects (several varieties, like the castles) for the heads to go in and get cooked.

And then maybe have some sitting and eating sprites for the Evil Army, with each unit type clearly displayed from several angles with the chomping and gnawing sound effects.

These would be very useful as additions to the game, especially for on-line play, where it is not always sufficiently clear how badly an army has been mangled.

Really, the screen with the numbers just doesn't do justice to the glory of a victorious army.

Shoko
01-05-2002, 05:52
Hey a was gunna buy Cossacks,but now u made me think twice http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/eek.gif
Think i wait to purchase.......What u call it again http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/confused.gifM/E

------------------

Clan Kenchikuka (http://pub14.ezboard.com/fclankenchikukakenchikukacouncilchamber)

High Voltage
01-05-2002, 06:01
Yes indeed Cossacks sucks(I use the cd as a frisby for my dog). But they did do a good job on one part: sprites. 2d sprites in this game were impressive, actually they were the only impressive thing.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-05-2002, 07:19
STW did have battle cries and so on but they were a bit lame...

Most units used the same ones (no variety) which was a shame. Battle cries are fun to listen to.

P.S. don't rate cossacks, played it, didn't enjoy it!

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

theforce
01-05-2002, 07:27
The new pics show that the units are more detailed that Shogun. The camera was very close to some yellow cav and it look very nice. Some suggestions are very nice.
I would like to have more sound effects. Actualy fighters used to shout to scare the enemy. That worked very good. In addition I would like the battle to last long. There are some battles in Shogun that last 10 mins of fighting if the two sides are equal. Also more sound effects when units collide would be amazing.

------------------
Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html

Catiline
01-05-2002, 21:14
I quite like Cossacks, but then I got it as a present so i didn't pay for it which might have tempered my judgement. It's alright as a bit of mindless fun

------------------
Oderint dum metuant

NARF
01-06-2002, 00:03
hahahaha and they are copying with the new expansion Cossacks-Total War lol www.cossacks.de (http://www.cossacks.de) and youll see, nothing can beat shogun

LordTed
01-06-2002, 00:51
There is only one shogun!

theforce
01-06-2002, 01:07
Seen the name before. I am sure they want some Shogun fame!

------------------
Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html

Kraellin
01-06-2002, 20:05
lol. i dont get it. i look at those blurbs from game mags and so on about this so-called 'impressive' game and having played the thing, i just dont get it. at best, i would rate this thing, 'barely acceptable and worth only about a week's worth of play.' i guess i'm just used to better a la stw and we/mi :)

K.

p.s. ok, so i'm turning this into a cossacks bashing thread. i dont like aol either and some folks think it's great...lol. ;)

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

Nelson
01-06-2002, 23:50
It all about diverse tastes isn't it? Especially among genres.

If you don't like traditional RTSG's then Cossacks does indeed suck.

If you don't like flight sims then IL2 Sturmovik sucks.

If you hate first person shooters then Quake stinks.

If you can't stand turn based strategy games then Civilization blows too.

Who doesn't think a stupid puzzle game like Myst was lousy? Only about a million people.

These games are successful because lots of people buy and play them. I enjoy all of these games. (Except Myst which sucks!)

Papewaio
01-08-2002, 09:11
Quote Originally posted by Kraellin:
lol. i dont get it. i look at those blurbs from game mags and so on about this so-called 'impressive' game and having played the thing, i just dont get it. at best, i would rate this thing, 'barely acceptable and worth only about a week's worth of play.'

[/QUOTE]

Kick backs. Some of these mags are just glossy paper infomercials... right up their with ads for ab busting at 2am on the TV.

------------------
Never start a land war in Asia
Never bet with a Scilian when death is on the line
Never expect anything more then sarcasm from an Australian