PDA

View Full Version : New Honor system proposed (LONG)

DantepX
01-11-2002, 01:36
I don't like the "honor" AKA experience system in Shogun, I think it should be changed for the upcoming Medieval game. So often there are lopsided odds that a 1 for a win, -1 for a loss is not good enough. Here is my proposal...

Instead of +1 for any win, -1 for any loss we should use non-integer values, based upon difficulty of the battle. Assume the honor needed for promotion stays the same (1 honor, 2, 4, 8, 16,... for level 1,2,3,4,5 respectively).

--------------------------------------
Define some variables:

A= monetary value of army 1
B= monetary value of army 2

Honor at stake if Army 1 wins is (B/A), if army 2 wins it is (A/B)

Apply the following multipliers to honor results:

Defending bridge map: (1/5)*(#bridges)
Defending a hilly/mountainous map: (1/2)
Defending a flat map: (1)
Attacking a bridge map: (5/#bridges)
Attacking a hilly/mountainous map: (2)
Attacking flat map: (1)
---------------------------------------------------------
Example
Map: Shinano, Def: Army 1, Att: Army 2
Army 1 has 5 Spear Ashigaru so value is 500
Army 2 has 5 nodachi so value is 1500

So the honor at stake if Army 1 wins is
(1500/500)*(1/2) = 1.5
For an Army 2 victory
(500/1500)*2 = 0.67

So If Army 1 can hold onto the province, their general gains 1.5 honor and Army 2's general will lose 1.5. If Army 2 can win they only get 0.67 while Army 1 would lose only 0.67. This method also works for battles with more than 1 army.
-------------------------------------------------------
If people have a problem with the fact that the total honor at stake is not the usual 2, but 2.17, it is an easy fix using percentages

Army 1 victory
(1.5/2.17)*2 = 1.38
Army 2 victory
(0.67/2.17)*2 = 0.62

This is a trivial calculation so I will ignore this in the rest of my examples
-------------------------------------------------------
Note that this system would still work when more than 2 armies are on the field.

Map: Totomi(flat so no effect on honor)
Def: Army 1 - 10 Yari ashigaru (value=1000)
Att: Army 2 - 5 Samurai Archers (1500)
Att: Army 3 - 5 Yari Samurai (1000)
------------------------------------------------------------
If army 2, 3 allied(at end of battle, lol!) then the honor at stake is:
Army 1 victory
(1000+1500)/1000 = 2.5 (miracle result! - instant fame, and instant shame)
Army 2 and 3 victory
1000/(1000+1500) = 0.4

Army 1 and 2 can split the honor equally or we can introduce another calculation to prevent an ally with 1 unit taking half the honor from you 16 unit army that did all the work!

Say in this example Army 2 and 3 were victorious but Army 2 got 80% of the kills
Army 2 gets 0.4*(80%) = 0.32 of the honor gained
Army 3 would get 0.4*(20%) = 0.08 honor

If the allies lose and Army 2 got 80% of the kills, they would lose LESS honor
Army 2 loses 2.5*(100%-80%)= 0.5 honor
Army 3 loses 2.5*(80%) = 2 honor!
(* if in these examples both allies get very few kills, say less than 10% of Army 1 this calc is illogical, just split the honor)
------------------------------------------------------
If none of the 3 armies are allied we do the normal calculation but divide by # of enemies
Army 1 victory: (2500/1000)/2 = 1.25
Army 2 victory: (2000/1500)/2 = 0.665
Army 3 victory: (2500/1000)/2 = 1.25

This is logical since Army 2 could feasible beat both other Armies together, whereas Army 1 or 3 are both weaker and would be more unlikely to hold out.
-----------------------------------------------------

So we see that the honor of your general depends on what types of battles being fought. This would make it feasible to do small raids (now the enemy general won't raise rank fast for beating off your 2 unit army), and great victories will give yor generals more experience than small ones, and shocking defeats will do great harm as opposed to hopeless ones.

This will solve the problem of defeating those 4 guys in a castle and getting full honor, or attacking 2000 troops with a 200 member raiding force(Cavalry archers!) each month.

The "monetary" value of each army can include the value of upgrades or honor as well. If your honor 1 no dachi beat honor 5 ashigaru with "legendary" armor who were sitting on a hill, I say your general deserves some credit!

Protection against exterme cases would be required. Say in the 3 army example the allies lose, and Army 2 killed only 10 but army 3 killed 1. Then obviously my calculation would be illogical. Both armies performed so badly they should share the shame equally! I can make some algorithms for all of this but this post is already to long. Ask any questions you want.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-11-2002, 01:55
mmmmmmmmm intriguing, but im afraid to say I didnt like the idea as soon as I saw the title. Sorry but I think the honour system if a little retarded does its job well enough. Anymore changes to the game and it wont be MTW it'll become Cossacks!!! hahaha i hate Cossacks!!!

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

MagyarKhans Cham
01-11-2002, 01:56
i think a chess based system would be best

DantepX
01-11-2002, 01:59
Sorry if there is misunderstanding, I'm talking about the campaign. Chess system would be perfect for online.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-11-2002, 02:23
I knew that booze made me see things. Gotta stop drinking i think. Oh well sorry to bother about it. I was just wondering why you posted it in this forum though.

Do you mean the campaign as in SP or the clan's campaign?

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

DantepX
01-11-2002, 02:39
I'm talking about the SP campaign in the upcoming Medieval War, but I'm using Shogun as example since i don't know anything about Medieval units and stuff.

I have lots of time on my hands now...

evilc
01-11-2002, 03:09
chess ranking system???

Grim
01-11-2002, 15:28
Dantepx-san, I think your idea shows ingenuity and I'm intrigued about the possibility for MP. I do not play MP but I hear a lot of whinning about people camping and always playing on green or Totomi.
Using this idea would mean that higher honor would be extremely hard to achieve in SP as well as in MP. I like it.

------------------
"Je vous repondrai par la bouche de mes canons"
-Frontenac
(I will answer you with the blast of my canons)
-Trad. libre