PDA

View Full Version : Not Working Properly - Please help!

Flaxmac
04-19-2007, 01:06
Hi All,
First off I have to say this is great what you have done.

I have been playing STW for about 3 years, and generally between 4 to 10 hours a day. Thats every day! So I guess you could sort of say I like the game a little. But it was getting a little stale, wonder why ?, any way, so I got the MTW-VI, it's good, but can't compare to STW.

Then I found the MOD (Holy voices chime in!).

I was really looking forward to it, installed it, it worked, I started playing and then periodically it crashes. This is extremely frustrating, because I want to play it so much.

Anyone got any ideas about how to fix this ?
Also i can't find the Choice.com to run the sounds fix.

And I think I will need to run this fix too, I guess ?
(Fix: Rename \Savemaps\Sacred Ground fl.jjm to \Savemaps\Sacred Ground.jjm to make it usable

I am using a laptop running XP.:help:

R'as al Ghul
04-19-2007, 07:09
I was really looking forward to it, installed it, it worked, I started playing and then periodically it crashes. This is extremely frustrating, because I want to play it so much.

Anyone got any ideas about how to fix this ?
Also i can't find the Choice.com to run the sounds fix.

And I think I will need to run this fix too, I guess ?
(Fix: Rename \Savemaps\Sacred Ground fl.jjm to \Savemaps\Sacred Ground.jjm to make it usable

I am using a laptop running XP.:help:

Welcome to Samurai Warlords!

Being not able to swap the sounds from STW or not renaming the map file for Sacred Ground doesn't interfere with the game. It should work nevertheless.
I'll point you to a choice.com download later.

So, frequent crashes on XP. I'd like to know more details.
Can you run MTW/VI on your laptop without crashes?
When do crashes occur? On campmap or battle map?
How many factions/ full armies in battle when it crashes (Videocard issue or RAM issue not unlikely with laptops)
We're all using XP, so this should be fixable. Don't despair.

R'as

Flaxmac
04-19-2007, 07:35
Hi And thanks for coming back to me.

Can you run MTW/VI on your laptop without crashes? Yes
When do crashes occur? On campmap or battle map?
Campmap

It's almost like the engine is working overtime to compute what has just happened.

This will make you think, there was a point (after a victory) where I was just resting my troops from the previous move and then click end turn and it crashed.
I came back into it as it saved the gave to that point automatically and then it crashed a few more times at the same point, but if I moved some troops into another domain it allowed the game to proceed. Problem was it was a bridge domain and I didnt have any archers, so I didn't really want to go up against 2 units of archers and 3 YS with only my Daimyo and 3 ND units a Cross Bow unit and one YS.

I tired out a few other clans to start with and after a big victory the computer seemed to crash again, it's almost like it knew it was going to be beaten and didnt want to play any more, but if I made a move where it thought it might win it let the game go on.

Could it be that this game of yours is really ALIVE ???

Ok on a serious note I will be trying to fix it with a few things I read that made the MTW crash that I have read on this forum.

Shown on this thread
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79500
I'll let you know if it works.

Tell me how often do you play the game, there has to be other people that play it as much as if not more than me right, tell me it's true.

The funny thing is I dont play any other computer games.

barocca
04-19-2007, 09:50
we play this game all the time, there are even crazy people
(um...us actually)
who play it online against each other...
:stwshame:
B.

Flaxmac
04-20-2007, 00:50
Hi,
Well I attempted everything I could on the advice page but the only thing I could actually change was the Game's visual resolution.
The other stuff I couldn't figure out how to do.
I am using a Compaq Presserio.

Another thing I noted while it was shutting down is that the shortcut icon was moving back to the default position for it was first loaded, (bottom left of the screen just after the last shortcut icon) and not where I put in the top right of the screen. Does this mean anything to you?

The only way I can seem to proceed with the game is to save after I have finished my moves, then click end turn, hope that it works this time, watch it crash before my eyes, then make a different move, click end turn, (repeat until it's a move that the game will let me proceed with) and then start the process again.

Not as much fun this way, sob sob sob..... :sweatdrop:

I went a deleted all the old saved games from the MTW that were still in the game when I copied it to make my Beta version, but this didn't help.

Then I thought Ok maybe I have stuffed it with other stuff I do on the computer, (installing Microsofts Visual Dev developer) so I tried to run the old version of MTW (in the original folder) to see if that was going to crash as well, but it worked to fine, apart from me being to ambitious and playing the irish on expert level, have to remember that this game is a little harder than STW.

Running out of ideas here can anyone please help ?

barocca
04-20-2007, 04:40
the copy of mtw you have has no other mods in it?

it may be neccessary to install a new copy from disc and then install the mod over it...

Flaxmac
04-20-2007, 05:07
The copy of MTW-vi was just simply taken from the Program files folder and renamed.

Could it be that because the version I have is usually run while the MTW-vi CD is in the Laptop ?

Should I install the beta version over current regular MTW-vi then put the MTW-vi cd back in to play the SW ?

I'll try that tonight and see how it goes.

Or any other ideas ?

Flaxmac
04-20-2007, 05:42
Here is another thought it may be that this is happening only when the computer is attacking me, either with trops or spies or ???

R'as al Ghul
04-20-2007, 07:41
Could it be that because the version I have is usually run while the MTW-vi CD is in the Laptop ?

Should I install the beta version over current regular MTW-vi then put the MTW-vi cd back in to play the SW ?

You need to have the CD in the drive in any case.
Using a copy of the original game is fine.

Hi,
Well I attempted everything I could on the advice page but the only thing I could actually change was the Game's visual resolution.
The other stuff I couldn't figure out how to do.
I am using a Compaq Presserio.
What kind of video card do you have?
With what resolution are you running the game?

Another thing I noted while it was shutting down is that the shortcut icon was moving back to the default position for it was first loaded, (bottom left of the screen just after the last shortcut icon) and not where I put in the top right of the screen. Does this mean anything to you?
That happens from time to time. especially when the game crashes. It's because the desktop and the game run different resolutions and in a crash the video driver fails to reset the resolution. Nothing to worry about.

I went a deleted all the old saved games from the MTW that were still in the game when I copied it to make my Beta version, but this didn't help.

Then I thought Ok maybe I have stuffed it with other stuff I do on the computer, (installing Microsofts Visual Dev developer) so I tried to run the old version of MTW (in the original folder) to see if that was going to crash as well, but it worked to fine, apart from me being to ambitious and playing the irish on expert level, have to remember that this game is a little harder than STW.

Running out of ideas here can anyone please help ?

If your original VI is running well and your copy with Samurai mod isn't you probably have done something wrong.
Maybe try to reinstall the mod?
Delete the Samurai Warlords copy and make a new copy from your original game, then install again.

Puzz3D
04-20-2007, 11:57
The copy of MTW-vi was just simply taken from the Program files folder and renamed.
Samurai Warlords requires and unmodified MTW/VI v2.01. Making a copy of the MTW/VI folder and installing Samurai Warlords on the copy is the best way to go because you cannot uninstall Samurai Warlords from the MTW/VI.

MTW/VI installs fully to the hard disk, and doesn't access the CD while you're playing.

I wouldn't do that because you'll overwrite your working MTW/VI.

Or any other ideas ?
Not at the moment.

Flaxmac
04-23-2007, 00:02
Still No JOY, I'm sorry to say.

I downloaded the Beta Mod at work and burnt it to a CD.
Then unzipped the mod at home and installed it over a fresh copy of MTW-vi.

But all this about the resolution, would that stop the game from even starting in the first place ?

I'll try downloading it again, but I think if it started before, then I must have downloaded the right thing already.

barocca
04-23-2007, 00:46
MTW does crash every now and then on systems i have used in the past,
(and on this borrowed one, which is quite up to date)
about every 20 to 30 turns if i have been doing a lot of fighting on the battle maps.

Generally it is a good idea to save regularly (every five/ten turns or so)
and turn autosave on as well.

Flaxmac
04-23-2007, 02:51
The problem I do save, but if it does crash then when I open it up at the same point unless I change my moves, it will crash again. Also it only sometimes continues if I change my moves.

barocca
04-23-2007, 05:05
when you get a save that crashes can you send it to me?
-- One that crashes when you hit end turn button

(there may also be a bug you have stumbled into)
and maybe i can figure it the bug

barocca_x AT hotmail.com

cheers
B.

Flaxmac
04-23-2007, 05:09
I certainly will send it to you, just what exactly will I be sending ?

barocca
04-23-2007, 06:09
when you save the game
and the game crashes
send me a copy of the save game file created when you saved the game

files are here
\medieval total war\SaveGames\ *.*

send me the last save game file that you made, the same name as the one you would pick if you were to try and continue playing