PDA

View Full Version : Artillery and castles

Flame of Udun
01-06-2002, 02:43
How are we going to be able to use artillery and trebs? do we just point at a wall and it will knock it down? are we going to see the little people pulling all the ropes to fire a treb? What happens when we take a castle wouldnt we have to rebuild the castle?

theforce
01-06-2002, 04:37
Hmmm as far as l have seen projectile units have their men opperating them. I think it will be click the wall and the the artillery will attack it. Anyway their range will be great but artillery that time wasn't so accurate. Also their men opperating them shouldn't be a problem for other units to kill so they must be protected. I think the guys have figured things out. I am pretty sure that they will be a system that calculates the castle damages and a pop-up should tell you how many money it requires to fix it!

------------------
Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html

Shogun Legion
01-06-2002, 18:11
yea nice idea

Roman legion - Strengh & honour to all

Kraellin
01-06-2002, 18:29
if you want to see some really well done siege engines in a computer game, get Empire Earth. they did a great job on these. but, EE doesnt allow for units on the walls. i'm thinking that M:TW isnt going to allow for that also, based on the screen shots i've seen so far. too bad. if you want castle games where units have not only siege weapons but anti-siege weapons AND have units stationed on the walls, get the Stronghold demo or the full game.

if M:TW does indeed allow for units on the battlements and allows for anti-siege weapons and other anti-siege tactics and 'technologies', then we're in for one very strong game combined with all the other things that CA does so well.

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

ShadesWolf
01-06-2002, 21:20
Stronghold is a very good medieval castle building game.

U can build a castle offline, then go online and play against other people,

Dont quite know how it works

theforce
01-06-2002, 21:42
I would like the castles and especially cities to have protection against artillery. Or else walls would mean nothing. One trick is to make a castle sourrounded by big lakes and be in a higher position of the souroundings. Also castles were built that way with these things in mind so just moving some units near the wall and shoot things from a long range with the others doing nothing will be stupid. It would be cool if there is artillery in the city and that would make the game more interesting.

------------------

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-06-2002, 23:39
They are planning to implement some stuff close to what you are talking about, this is from worthplaying.com:

1."Fortresses now boast extra fortifications, including: ditches, palisades and ring walls."

2."Castle towers can be upgraded to house archers, artillery and siege weapons."

So, close enough? I, for one, will be happy if they implement this...

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good

Krasturak
01-07-2002, 13:28
Krast wants to see the defenders fighting from the fortifications rather than hiding inside them.

That means men on the walls, methods of attack based on the fortifications and real decision-making for castle defenders.

The castles in STW look great, but the lack of interaction between the defenders and the forts mean that they are little more than walls and big rocks to hide behind.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-07-2002, 20:47
Krast is right! I didn't see the point in castles in STW. I mean defending them was easy just fill the gap with high honour naginata and have archers and guns to fire on enemy guns and so on. (even though i doubt the guns could fire over the walls so they just happened to shoot through them.) But anyway where was I....?

Oh yeah if the defenders can stand in towers and on the walls and have defensive seige weapons in the towers then MTW will be a lot better. But just having archers standing behind walls that are only just taller than them looking pretty (as archers do) then it'll be a serious let down.

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

Hirosito
01-09-2002, 02:57
i dont see what the fuss is about kuma's quote is really straightforward and they wouldn't lie to us would they

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

theforce
01-09-2002, 03:00
What about ladders and men moving up on them incoming projectile and shit that would add a lot to the atmosphere.

------------------

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-12-2002, 06:23
In the Ign preview, they confirm what was mentioned here and clarify things a bit.

Here is an excerp, but you should go and read the full article: "Much like in Shogun, castles can be upgraded. But instead of just turning them from a castle into a fortress, players will have the choice to build new sections onto their castle. Adding more walls will give players more killing room, and cause the attackers to need to knock down more walls before they can get in. But the addition of towers that fire arrows and bullets down on sieging troops are a plus as well. As with Shogun, you can only build one building at a time however, so you'll have to think carefully before putting too much attention into the castle without building up any infrastructure or military buildings"

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good