PDA

View Full Version : Axemen?

Flame of Udun
01-14-2002, 04:46
Are there going to be axemen in M:TW? I always heard that the Franks used axes to throw and to fight with

Red Peasant
01-14-2002, 10:54
Yeah, or the double-headed axes of King Harold's Huscarls and the Anglo-Viking Varangian Guard of the Byzantine Emperor. Fearsome warriors. One of the accounts of the Battle of Hastings reports an English axeman severing the head clean off one of the Norman horses!

------------------
"Gutta cavat lapidem non vi sed saepe cadendo"
--Ovid
(The drop hollows the stone not by force but by dripping often)

[This message has been edited by Red Peasant (edited 01-14-2002).]

Rath
01-14-2002, 11:51
I really hope they have Axe-men...the animation of them fighting should be one to look forward to.

evilc
01-15-2002, 00:59
sounds like they could be a kensai type unit, lol

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-15-2002, 02:41
yes a glorious kensai with fiery red flowing hair. A red goatee tied in an over-lapping knot all the way to his knees swinging a big axe. The sprite would be damn fun to make don't you think!

---------------------
"I sleep in the hay, you sleep in the sh!t"
Sun Tzu (only joking he didnt really say that!) http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

Flame of Udun
01-15-2002, 08:26
Id rather see them as a No-dachi type unit. They have little armor but that Axe (double headed-hopefully) can take out most troops. They would be great for routing units (can you imagine what its like to be flanked my 120 guys with HUGE doubleheaded axes? id run heh

Vanya
01-16-2002, 03:12
Well... if they have donkey lancers, that would be considered 'assmen'... http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

Papewaio
01-16-2002, 05:54
Vikings used axe and shield. The axe is pretty good at penetrating armour.

Is there a weapon speed in the current system?

------------------
Never start a land war in Asia
Never bet with a Scilian when death is on the line
Never expect anything more then sarcasm from an Australian

Red Peasant
01-16-2002, 09:33
True, but the 'elite' axemen used the double-header which had a very long handle requiring two hands to wield, thus precluding a shield...they were for softies! Such as Aussies and the like http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
"Gutta cavat lapidem non vi sed saepe cadendo"
--Ovid
(The drop hollows the stone not by force but by dripping often)

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-16-2002, 17:30
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry I forgot what i was gonna say.

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

Yama
01-16-2002, 22:55
The Varangian Guard, also known as the Waring Guard or the Barbarian Guard, emerged in the 11th century in Constantinople as the bodyguard to the emperor. The first mention of this guard appears in 1034, and they were re-organized in the mid eleventh century by Romanus IV.
Mostly this bodyguard consisted of Danes and Englishmen, many of the latter joined after the defeat at Hastings in 1066, preferring the service to the emperor to life under Norman rule back home in England.
The Varangians were ferocious fighters, with full beards and using two handed battle-axe as their prefered weapon (which is why they were also known as 'the axe-bearers' in Constantinople). They lived under their own laws, prayed at their own church and elected their own officers.
Their leader was known as the 'Acolyte' (the follower), which was derived from the fact that he always followed immediately behind the emperor whereever he went. At banquets or audeniences the acolyte was to find found standing right behind the emperor's throne.
Unlike bodies such as the Praetorian Guard, the Varangians became famed for their loyalty to the emperor, even their willingness to fight to the death to protect him.

Well...this is about some axemen unit in the byzantine army