PDA

View Full Version : Mercenaries

Yama
01-12-2002, 20:18
what u think about mercenaries troups ? This should be here, and I think that there should be following mercenary types:
helvetic halebardiers
mamelukes
genovese crossbowman & sailors
welsh archers
flemish crossbowman
lithuanian or serbs men-at-arms
normans
or whatever ...
what do ya think ?

ShadesWolf
01-12-2002, 21:29
A very good idea.

I know historically this is accurate , during the 100 year war, France hired a lot of mercenaries to fight the English....

Whitey
01-12-2002, 23:59
yeah - damn french!

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-13-2002, 01:05
Hey i'm french...No only joking three cheers for the English hip hip (an erie silence) oh well perhaps another tie!

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

NARF
01-13-2002, 03:04
hmmm sounds good

Yama
01-13-2002, 03:49
do ya have any suggestions about ? other mercenary factions from medieval armies ? i like some factions have restrictions ( for example the christians netions cant hire arabian cavalry or smthin ) and others to preferd ( for example Papal States hired a lot of helvetic halebardiers and even until today the guard of vatican consist in catholic suisses ) ;
for example the suisse were great mercenaries and they beat the Germans and the French when this big kingdoms tried to conquer their land; in France of that times it was a quote : "pas d'argent pas de suisses" ( no money no suisses ) ;poor french kingdom never had an eficient fiscal system that can provide them money for well trained and equiped armies ;Genovese crossbowman were also an permanent presence in french armies; many of them were slaughtered by the english armies
and in that times were a lot of little nations ( serbs;swedes;bulgars;basque;georgians;cumans http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gifthat provides warriors for bigger kingdoms as vasals;
for example the Apostolic Kingdom of Hungary have an vasal "tribe" which name was siculi ( in latin cause i dont know how to say in english )and this warriors were always in the first wave of the hungarian armies especially in the border conflicts with byzantine vasals such as valach ( medieval name of romanians ) or bulgars ;there are a lot of such examples in medieval histroy and managing with factions like this will give the game depth...
i like to see such things and i cant wait to see opinions and suggestions/clues about M;TW
please excuse my english ;geets

evilc
01-13-2002, 04:12
i bet they (ca) already know what they are going to do on this cos it seems to be a big part of the era.

Yama
01-13-2002, 04:44
i agree that CA do a great job; playin STW with Oda makes me feel like reading again the novel of Yoshikawa: Taiko;

Krasturak
01-16-2002, 03:03
Gah!

Mercenaries come from every land and range from the weak to the strong.

In fact, in some countries most of the national army was made up of mercenaries. There are many examples.

National armies are more a thing of the modern day.

Yama
01-17-2002, 19:45
Krasturak indeed they come from everywhere; but i was talking about the "celebrieties" of this category