PDA

View Full Version : Massive Single player campaign

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-18-2002, 03:18
What i read in other previews, where that the SP campaigns are divided in three campaigns by time period.

But The last preview at gamespot suggests also an option to play through one massive campaign starting at 1095 up to 1450 with over 200 named "historical figures" making appearances some as field general on the battlefield representing specific nations.

How about meeting Ghensis Khan or others on the battlefield? Sounds good doesn't it?

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-18-2002, 05:19
Sounds envigorating. (> < ) Oh sorry yeah the idea of being 400 years old does appeal to me actually. Imagine as 'Suh Kuma' said meeting all those historical people on the battlefield would be great.

But will facing Genghis Khan in a battl make the AI fight differently to facing Joan of Arc? They definately didn't have similar fighting techniques!

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

[This message has been edited by Toda Nebuchadnezzar (edited 01-17-2002).]

Catiline
01-18-2002, 06:43
Time to whoop Mongol arse all over the West as well as the East

Role on Leignitz

------------------
Oderint dum metuant

[This message has been edited by Catiline (edited 01-17-2002).]

Hirosito
01-18-2002, 23:44
the thing i'm worried about in such a long campaign is that it will by definition lose all historical accuracy

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Vanya
01-21-2002, 22:24
Quote Originally posted by Hirosito:
the thing i'm worried about in such a long campaign is that it will by definition lose all historical accuracy

[/QUOTE]

Here we go again... LOL

Vlad The Impaler
01-21-2002, 22:45
Vanya, Hiroshito is right; in such a game it MUST be at least some historical accuracy; it is just a game but...is an historic game..

solypsist
01-21-2002, 23:07
i like long campaigns...when i'm winning.

evilc
01-22-2002, 00:55
you can start it acuratly, but if it means that only win with a few nations because of the actual army sizes, there is no point playing.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-22-2002, 03:18
Surely in that 400 years some of the playable factions were eliminatedin wars. How to make this game accurate??? So it can't be 100% accurrate but obviously it will have enough of the right stuff and less of the fantasy,myths and legends malarky!

No game is 100% accurate. If you played a game about the american civil war and whoever you were the Union always won wht would be he point in being the Confederacy?

I rest my point on what little stamina i have left to continue this long waffaly post!

-----------------
I bid you adeux http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif!

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar

Grifman
01-22-2002, 12:21
Yeah, let's have historical accuracy, so that no matter what nation you play, everything comes out like it did historically, LOL! What's the purpose of playing then, man?

Grifman

Hirosito
01-23-2002, 00:12
come on guys don't sell yourselves short on your own intelligence. you know that's not what i meant. the question posed was whether the 400 years would be seperated into approx. 4 long 'campaigns' rahter than being played in one go. (look at the 1st post of this thread). so i opined that if you cut the 400 years in smaller bits you could maintain greater accuracy

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew

evilc
01-23-2002, 00:43
if i say, 'its just a game' you won't moan at me right?

LordTed
01-23-2002, 00:46
I will throw quotes at you from a history book.....

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-23-2002, 04:38
Originally posted by Hirosito:
... so i opined that if you cut the 400 years in smaller bits you could maintain greater accuracy

You will also have the option to play it "in smaller bits", 3 campaigns by time period.

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good

evilc
01-24-2002, 00:57
see, developers know what they're doing. cough.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-24-2002, 01:06
Quote Originally posted by Hirosito:
come on guys don't sell yourselves short on your own intelligence. [/QUOTE]

-------------
Whatintellignce?... I haven't got any! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar

Hirosito
01-24-2002, 04:30
evilc i'll take that comment as i think it was meant i just hope that u also understood what i was saying. BTW it is just a game and i'm not that passionate about this topic however i hope that all devs strive to make the perfect game. these guys are getting closer all the time.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-24-2002, 05:50
Originally posted by evilc:
see, developers know what they're doing. cough.

Have a bad cold? http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good, hope they sound good also...

Grim
01-24-2002, 16:07
What I would really hate is playing the long campaign and, halfway thru, know that I will win. No matter what the cpu does, it's only a matter of time.
A bit like playing Shimazu and having 80% of the map and facing the Hojo horde.

------------------
"Je vous repondrai par la bouche de mes canons"
-Frontenac
(I will answer you with the blast of my canons)
-Trad. libre

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-24-2002, 18:42
I've gone off this thread a bit... whats going on? Are we still on historical accuracy?

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar

evilc
01-25-2002, 01:05
if every campaign was historically accurate, you would know who would win.

Hirosito
01-26-2002, 22:08
what profound wisdom

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-27-2002, 03:30
Quote Originally posted by evilc:
if every campaign was historically accurate, you would know who would win.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally posted by Toda Neb:
No game is 100% accurate. If you played a game about the american civil war and whoever you were the Union always won wht would be he point in being the Confederacy?[/QUOTE]

I totally agree evilc man http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar

Kraellin
01-28-2002, 22:23
i believe that what hirosito is saying is quite appropriate, to wit, muskets in stw. these are NOT historically accurate pieces for the time period. i believe what he's referring to is a similar notion for the upcoming M:TW. if you make the units, the weaponry, the forces, the armors, the generals, the terrains, and all those parameters as accurate as possible, what can you then do to change or keep the same, the outcomes. in other words, given all the same circumstances of a particular battle, what would you do differently to obtain a different outcome.

he's not arguing for a fixed outcome, he's arguing for fixed parameters; historic parameters. now, that doesnt mean that if a battle occurred in 1247 on a given date in certain weather of certain forces facing certain forces, that the game must force this to occur. it just means that if it did occur then circumstances would be similar enough to the real event to satisfy a historians view of such an event.

now, in 400 years of gameplay, i would warn the historians that players are not going to follow history and are going to quite seriously alter history. at game start such and such might line up quite accurately with history, but 300 or 400 years later let's not force a situation where you want to fight this famous battle and the nation doesnt even exist in the current game because of something you did 200 years earlier.

however, if they do their scenario and campaign editors up nicely, we can make our own historic battles. and if they make the units and armors and weaponry and terrain and so on, accurately, then the historians will have their 'historical construction set' and we all win. :)

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

Nelson
01-29-2002, 01:00
The accuracy issue isn't about historic outcomes. It's about historically accurate means to what could well be alternate historic possibilities. I want reasonable historic possibilities in a game within the framework of historically accurate military forces and tactics. Historic outcomes need not occur but historic means should be used to cause the campaign and battle results.

Vlad The Impaler
01-29-2002, 01:04
I totally agree with Kraellin; that's the camels should not be there http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Hirosito
01-29-2002, 04:20
cheers that's exactly what i meant Krae. i'm sorry if i wasn't clear enough.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew