PDA

View Full Version : I want to host

BomilkarDate
01-20-2002, 17:57
I am on a LAN that means, I cant host online games (for Shogun Total War). Well thats bad, but I have to live with it. But please make me able to host games in Medieval Total War. Because some times its really embarrassing when I cant play others just because both of us cant host. I don't know the problem with beeing on a LAN (perhaps some IP adress stuff), but again if it's somehow possible, please let me host games in Medieval, because I love Shogun and I am pretty sure I will love Medieval, too. So,let me host, please.

------------------
Strength and honour

Bomilkar Date

BomilkarDate
01-23-2002, 18:52
Hello?
Did anyone at least read this??
Because I really want to host games in Medieval, I don't like to play comp games under unfair conditions.

------------------
Strength and honour

Bomilkar Date

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-24-2002, 05:44
I read your post, like all of them, but i don't have anything to say about this than i hope for you that MTW will give you this possibility.

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good, hope they sound good also...

Anssi Hakkinen
01-24-2002, 06:25
The inability to host on LAN is related to firewalls, which block some data streams critical to hosting STW. Altering STW to bypass firewalls is likely to mean drastic modifications to the network game engine.

Of course, it's not that they couldn't or shouldn't do drastic modifications...

BomilkarDate
01-24-2002, 20:33
Well, I don't have a firewall. But I can't host, so firewalls shouldn't be the problem.

------------------
Strength and honour

Bomilkar Date

Puzz3D
01-24-2002, 20:38
I believe hosting for this game could be made to work through a firewall. I'm fairly certain that the problem occurs because the game is passing your computer's IP address back to the server. If you are behind a firewall, that ip address can't be seen. What the server should do is look at the IP address that the hosting request is originating from. That will be the firewall's (router) address. The firewall's address is what should be pinged, and what should be passed to the people who join the game. All these firewalls can be set to pass incoming data packets to a particular computer on the LAN. You set that to be computer that is actually hosting. Maybe Activision will set up MTW online play completely different from STW. They set up Wolfenstein which has hundreds of player servers operating over the internet.

Kraellin
01-24-2002, 22:11
the problem with lans isnt firewalls...well, i suppose it would be if you had one, but the problem with lans is proxies, or at least this is what i've been led to believe by other friends on lans. i dont run one, so i'm not real certain on all this, but i do have one friend that plays asheron's call on a lan and she had to jump thru some hoops regarding proxy servers and settings on her computer and the lan host machine.

i really dont know exactly the fix you have to do, but you can at least start with that and do some research on your own. waiting for a game company to start coding to fix your specific problem may not be the wisest move. it's almost always easier to see if you cant tweak something on your end than to get them to tweak something on their end ;)

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

Kocmoc
01-25-2002, 00:01
bom,

i think its the proxy of ur provider...
i got the same prob 1 year ago, they did change it...

i try to explain :O

in ur LAN-syste, u have a short IP wich u got from ur provider if u move out in the internet (nice english http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif) u get a new IP from a HTCP-server, so the EA-server wont find u ...he find the first IP (HTCP-server)
but not ur LAN-IP...thats the prob, phone with ur company, they can help u..

koc

Puzz3D
01-25-2002, 01:16
Proxies would be a problem if you had one, but you don't need a proxy server to run a home LAN. You will always be able to host from the computer that is the proxy server, but would have to configure the proxy server to allow other computers on the LAN to host. I saw a post from someone who had successfully hosted through a Wingate proxy server.

If the ISP has you behind a proxy, then you have to get the ISP to make you visible by having them reconfigure their proxy server as Kocmoc says. I had a home LAN with 3 machines and I could host STW because I rented separate IP addresses for each computer from my ISP. When I installed a DHCP router which used Network Address Translation (NAT) so that I only needed to rent a single IP address from my ISP, I could not host STW, and there was no way around it. It's this case I was thinking of when I said hosting could be made to work. All the EA server would have to do is communicate with the router instead of trying to go directly to my computer's ip address which it cannot see.

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-25-2002, 22:45
Finally some answers from informed patrons. Maybe on the tech support forum , you will find even more advice/hints about lans.

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good, hope they sound good also...

BomilkarDate
01-26-2002, 01:53
thx a lot for your efforts.

------------------
Strength and honour

Bomilkar Date

shogunnewbie1
01-31-2002, 10:53
Quote Originally posted by Kocmoc:
bom,

i think its the proxy of ur provider...
i got the same prob 1 year ago, they did change it...

i try to explain :O

in ur LAN-syste, u have a short IP wich u got from ur provider if u move out in the internet (nice english http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif) u get a new IP from a HTCP-server, so the EA-server wont find u ...he find the first IP (HTCP-server)
but not ur LAN-IP...thats the prob, phone with ur company, they can help u..

koc[/QUOTE]

I AM THE PROXY and it still dont work ARG !
@!#$ !@#$% !@#$% !!!
ok shougn runs off ports around 61000-62000 and on 8794 I routed all ports to my box hell im the server and its not hosting ... I dont think its a PORT problem ... it something else ill repost if I figure it out