PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Gratuitous Eye Candy Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Bwian
04-27-2007, 20:19
https://img230.imageshack.us/img230/108/spearzk6.jpg

https://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5168/spear2bd4.jpg

Spear warriors in action. Particularly happy with the variations in the shield designs.

Ossie The Great
04-27-2007, 20:48
I do not have mtw2 but when i do i am going to downlaod this mod straight away

Meneldil
04-27-2007, 23:05
Now those are great Tomb Kings skeletons. Very well done :)

Filibustería
04-28-2007, 00:13
Really good!

Ciaran
04-28-2007, 09:51
Very neat :2thumbsup:

Tomb Kings are nice, but for Undead, I personally prefer the Vampire Counts - I´m looking forward to what you have in store for them. And the Orcs, of course. I wonder, depending how far to the East your world map extends, maybe they can appear as a Horde, like the Mongols and Timurids, since that is, if I recall correctly, the way they act in the Warhammer world, massive raids which leave nothing but destruction in their path.
But whatever you have in mind, I have no doubt that it´ll be great.

Bwian
04-28-2007, 09:59
Whilst 'Hording' Orcs is a nice idea, it would have to be done in such a way as to allow them to still be played in single player. There is something to be said for a complete lack of diplomacy, and a complete focus on killing, maiming and burning. IT would almost be appropriate to remove the options to occupy a city, and have 'enslave', 'slaughter' or 'eat' as choices!

Snarkfarfar
04-28-2007, 16:28
Wow. Beautiful. This will be so awesome!

Casuir
04-28-2007, 21:40
Well if the tomb kings are in theres loads of room for orcs, the badlands between the empire and Khemri are full of them.

Btw v. nice brian, you doing all the tomb kings at once or have you a few armies on the go?

Bwian
04-29-2007, 09:43
Casuir... I started on the Tomb Kings as a test set. They are by far the easiest to rig and spot problems with the process on. I was new to using MS3D to rig, and they seemd like the obvious choice for a start point.

I have also started work on the low-level Chaos units..Marauders and their horsemen. I want to build a core of units for a few of hte factions first, and then expand on that. It's easy to build a few base units and spice them up with attachments, and then work on the more 'special' units. I want to allow the core of the mod to progress as soon as possible, rather than wait for all the models!

I am holding back on Orcs for the time being, to wait and see what happens with the skeleton and animation tools. If there is no progress, I will build them in raw form, and stretch them to fit a human skeleton. I can always revert if need be!

Hope to have some shots of the marauders up soon! The mesh is done, and I just need to finish up the base texture before I convert them to MESH.

Bwian
04-29-2007, 17:39
https://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6933/mar1wa9.jpg

He's far from finished texture wise, but all the bits are modelled and in place. There is a horned helm, one without horns, and a bareheaded version. Axe and pick weapons are in the initial build, with a spear and sword version to follow. Shields are in ( half a dozen variations ) and a couple of body options. Haven't painted his trousers yet!!!!!

Meneldil
04-30-2007, 09:59
Sounds and looks great :2thumbsup:

Shahed
04-30-2007, 10:44
Nice screenshots ! Good work !

Myrddraal
04-30-2007, 11:14
Looking very promising :bow:

Bwian
05-05-2007, 15:26
After an annoying hold up due to a bit of dodgy vertex assigning ( it gives you an error of the 'unspecified' type.... ) we have some new guys running around in the woods....

MARAUDERS!

https://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1485/mar2vu1.jpg

https://img82.imageshack.us/img82/451/mar3gj2.jpg

https://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2507/mar4gd7.jpg

Meneldil
05-05-2007, 17:42
They are fantastic, well done once again :)

radcan
05-06-2007, 12:57
Looking amazing mate hopefully this can live up to my expectations, hopefully this warhammer mod gets finished unlike many of the other warhammer universe mods which just seem to die like the former warhammer mod for rtw and also the warhammer mod for civ 4 . Anyway good luck and continue with the gr8 work and out of curiosity are the lizardmen going to be in the mod ?

Bwian
05-06-2007, 13:04
Lizardmen - oh yes. They will be there.

radcan
05-06-2007, 18:56
One word A-w-e-s-o-m-e!

Filibustería
05-07-2007, 01:37
i've never liked chaos, but great work!

I cant wait to see some winged lancers from kislev!

Bwian
05-07-2007, 17:47
I want BRAINS!!!!!

https://img235.imageshack.us/img235/1994/zom1fx3.jpg

https://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3692/zom2om8.jpg

the zombies are up and walking, equipped with nothing but crude weapons and a strong desire to eat the flesh of their foes.

Wasn't sure about the greeniness of them, but all the figure painting and army book pics show them as being greenish. So..green they are!

radcan
05-07-2007, 18:11
Looking amazing as allways mate i think im actually more excited about this than i was about actual medieval 2, which will treble when i see the first skinks or gors lol.

DrZoidberg
05-07-2007, 18:54
I wouldn't mind them looking a bit more extreme. More torn clothing, a patch of hair. The reason simply being that in a major battle it'll be hard to see them stick out. At a distance they'll look a bit peasantish, won't they?

I'm only trying to give some constructive critisism here for making them better. They are trully beautiful and they'll work fine as is.

alexader
05-07-2007, 19:25
They are very good,but if you try to add them some more blood and some human ripped clothing (and some metal weapons like the that who have the peasants) would be also good.Very good work,keep walking.:egypt:

Bwian
05-07-2007, 19:57
I can add some more ripped clothing on some of hte torsos, and I also can make hte colour of the clothing a bit more distinctive. It looked more distinct on the texture than it did in game, and that sort of blends the thing in a bit more than I wanted.

There is a limit to how detailed you can make things and still be able to make out the details. At a distance, they will always look a bit peasantish ( well..they were peasants once! )

There will be a second set of zombies with slightly more usable weapons, which will represent an 'upgraded' zombie. These guys are the absolute bottom of the unit list for the Vampire Counts.

alexader
05-07-2007, 20:08
Ok i'm covered.good work again Bwian:egypt:

Casuir
05-07-2007, 21:10
I can add some more ripped clothing on some of hte torsos, and I also can make hte colour of the clothing a bit more distinctive. It looked more distinct on the texture than it did in game, and that sort of blends the thing in a bit more than I wanted.

Probably your graphic settings are a bit low, resolution affects the usage of mipmaps and texture quality does the same, jack them up as high as poss for shots.

Bongaroo
05-07-2007, 21:11
Awesome work on the models! Always wished I had the money and time to assemble and paint an army. I do have a Mordheim skaven warband. Good stuff.

Bwian
05-07-2007, 21:26
Casuir ...yeah...I will crank it up and see how it looks, but I chose a dirty linen colour for the cloth, and that is a bit close to the grey/green hue of the flesh. A darkening of the cloth should help. Also, adding cloth to some of the torsos will increase the variety a little.

For now, though, I am fed up with green! For a refesher, I have gone back to the skeleton textures, and made some serious improvements in that. The Tomb Kings skeleton is now a bit whiter, to make it look more bleached. The vampire counts ones are more yellowed. I have improved the detail a lot on the skull too. I found some good photos of a skull and mapped it onto a rough shape to render it. The resuting unwrap worked better than I hoped!

The base Vampire Count skeletons will be swordsmen, with short swords. A shield carrying version with a bigger sword and a spearman are also being done. Screenshots tomorrow!

Meneldil
05-07-2007, 22:36
Please, could you make bigger screenshots ? I can barely see the details there. I'm sure they look great, but it's quite difficult to notice the random variations, have a look a their face and all that with these screens ;)

Noticed some of them were head-less. That's :2thumbsup:

Wikiman
05-08-2007, 02:25
I am so looking forward to playing this mod.

Keep up the stunning work!

-wikiman

Dogman55
05-08-2007, 03:33
I can't wait to see Lizardmen!

Filibustería
05-08-2007, 05:05
Are you including kislev as a faction in this mod, Bwian?

DrZoidberg
05-08-2007, 06:30
Are you including kislev as a faction in this mod, Bwian?

They are not included in the first planned release. These are:
Tomb Kings, Skaven, Vampire Counts, Empire, Bretonnia, Orcs, Elves, Chaos and Lizardmen

Bwian
05-08-2007, 08:39
Kislev is definitley a faction I would like to see in game, but there is a limit to teh total number of factions we can do in a single go. We are not going to use all teh 31 available, so there will be scope for add-ons after the initial release. Factions like Kislev will be high priority, because they have some nice units!

DrZoidberg
05-08-2007, 12:29
Kislev is definitley a faction I would like to see in game, but there is a limit to teh total number of factions we can do in a single go. We are not going to use all teh 31 available, so there will be scope for add-ons after the initial release. Factions like Kislev will be high priority, because they have some nice units!

I never did understand why the plan isn't to initially do all the human factions first, (Bretonnia, Empire, Kislev, Tilea, Estalia, Norse and Dolgans). We got the units allready. Free lunch. And then just build on that. The big hurdle is making the fantasy units, right?

Bwian
05-08-2007, 13:07
Warhammer is a fantasy mod. What is the point in just having a few re-skinned stock units and calling that a Warhammer mod.

We will not be using ANY stock units unless they are 100% correct for the mod. It's not going to happen. Not for any reason.

The whole POINT of a fantasy mod is the fantastic units. If we don't do them, then we may as well quit. If we CAN'T do them, then we may as well not have started.

BUT... we CAN do them, and we WILL do them. Not sorry little re-paints. but properly designed, correctly skinned units that any fan of the Hobby would be able to recognise as something from this world. Look at the screenshots. We have new units...fantasy units.

p.s. If you have a question about what units we should be using...start a new thread. This is a screenshot thread for comments on the work done, not a discussion on what units should or could be built.

Casuir
05-08-2007, 13:59
Dolgans

these are just a tribe of raiders in the north, like the kurgan and hung, they dont deserve and shouldnt be getting their own faction

uanime5
05-08-2007, 18:30
They are not included in the first planned release. These are:
Tomb Kings, Skaven, Vampire Counts, Empire, Bretonnia, Orcs, Elves, Chaos and Lizardmen

Which Elves are we including; High, Dark, Wood, or all three?

Bwian
05-09-2007, 23:21
Initially, High Elves and Dark Elves. Wood Elves would be a later project.

Abokasee
05-11-2007, 17:47
I Have MTW2 and I like Warhammer (I got a whole space marines and thinking about do orcs & gobbos) and Would like to help this mod... how can I help? :help: :idea2: Can you do MTW2 Models in Wings (A free modeling program) and is there anything I can do texturing with?

Whoops wrong thread!

Bwian
05-12-2007, 13:18
New for this weekend ..... some skeleton troops for the Vampire Counts. I have re-done the textures for all the skeletons, and the Tomb Kings ones are similar but a bit lighter to show 'bleaching' form the desert sun.

https://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5108/skel1kt7.jpg

Also in are some spearmen with improvised shields...

https://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4065/skel2ub3.jpg

and some swordsmen.

https://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4236/skel3ou2.jpg

I also made some very basic 'peasant' skeletons with a short sword and no other kit. No pic of them...but they are not that interesting to look at ;):skull:

ellydog
05-12-2007, 13:22
nice screen shots, i really like the the looks of the skelitons in the first pic. About the second pic is it just me or do those sheilds look a little big for skelitons?

Bwian
05-12-2007, 13:37
https://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8863/skel4jl9.jpg

coffin lids.....

alexader
05-12-2007, 15:03
I really like their shields,the long shield is very nice,good work.Keep Walking...

Casuir
05-12-2007, 15:30
nice work

radcan
05-13-2007, 16:18
Looking immense mate the mods moving along at a fair pace going by your progress report thats what i like to hear.:balloon2:

Ciaran
05-15-2007, 11:42
I like those skelletons. The coffin-lid shields are a nice touch, perfect for the Vampire Count bonies.

Subedei
05-15-2007, 13:50
Recruitable in cemeteries only?!?!?

N.I.C.E.

Krazysigmarite
05-17-2007, 05:25
outdated shots removed

ellydog
05-17-2007, 07:30
Good work, good to see the units piling up.

Ciaran
05-17-2007, 11:03
:2thumbsup: Nice, I love those swordsmen.

Meneldil
05-17-2007, 14:56
Nice work. Is each imperial province/city-state going to receive its own units ?

Born in lust for blood
05-17-2007, 14:57
Amazing!!

Bwian
05-17-2007, 15:12
Don't think there is an easy way to make each city use a different livery for it's troops without filling up the list with a lot of duplicates. The units can swap randomly from the selection on the texture ..but you would have to make each troop type a unique unit for each city to allow it's own livery.

So you could have City_a_hand_gunners, City_b_hand_gunners and so on. The combat stats would be broadly similar ( or not, if one city is famous for it's swordsmen or hand-gunners or whatever ).

The tricky bit would be the recruitment. We would have to limit recruitment of certain units to certain cities to maintain the uniformity and sense of it. Otherwise, you could recruit city a units in city b and every other city you capture. Spoils the overall effect to a degree. It's a nice thought ... but I don't know how well it would stand up to the acdtual reality of gameplay.

We could probably have some elite units recruitable only in certain key cities ... like the old RTW Spartan Hoplites. They could have a different livery from the 'ordinary' version available everywhere in the Empire.

Meneldil
05-17-2007, 15:17
Yeah, having the same 5 or so Imperial units available in say, five different colors representing 5 cities/province would really suck up unit slots.

Gameplay wise, I'm fairly sure there's a way to make this possible, it's just that those slots could probably be used for something else.

Crian
05-17-2007, 16:31
WOW! These shots are amazing!

How did you do the headless zombies? Surely it wasn't the model since they all use the same one right (maybe not...)? Or was it through the textures? Alpha channels? Anyway great work! :2thumbsup:

Bwian
05-17-2007, 17:41
Crian ... no alpha channel tricks were used in the making of the headless zombies. MTW2 allows for different physical meshes in the same model...which it randomly puts together to make unit variations. The stock game uses it to put different helmets ans shields on the soldiers ... the same trick can bu used to put a stump of a neck in place of a head.

It's one of the things that mae kthis game engine so much nicer to mod with:beam:

alexader
05-17-2007, 17:50
these lads are awesome,but try to make the red colour more darker and also if it is possible try to put little feathers into the helmets of the swordmen.now about the helmets and the hut.first in the swordmen,can you put few helmet like those of the swissguard and in the hundgunners make some hut likes those of the tabletop game?last is it possible to create a bigger musket?it would be awesome.i'm not ordering that,i suggest that,it's just my opinion but above all it is great work:egypt:

Bwian
05-17-2007, 19:57
Bigger muskets are possible .... but it is debatable as to whether we should make the muskets bigger. The tabletop figures would always have chunkier muskets purely because of the difficulty of casting the things in white-metal.

Crian
05-18-2007, 01:36
Crian ... no alpha channel tricks were used in the making of the headless zombies. MTW2 allows for different physical meshes in the same model...which it randomly puts together to make unit variations. The stock game uses it to put different helmets ans shields on the soldiers ... the same trick can bu used to put a stump of a neck in place of a head.

It's one of the things that mae kthis game engine so much nicer to mod with:beam:

I see :2thumbsup:.

That IS awesome! Makes me excited about the possibilities in the next Total War game already :yes:. Keep it up this is excellent! :2thumbsup:

Ciaran
05-18-2007, 11:29
Just how could I have missed out the Zombies, they´re great. I wonder how the greenies will turn out...

Didz
05-18-2007, 12:10
nice screen shots, i really like the the looks of the skelitons in the first pic. About the second pic is it just me or do those sheilds look a little big for skelitons?
I like the coffin lids idea, nice touch.:2thumbsup:

Bwian
05-18-2007, 17:54
https://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2645/chaossd6.jpg

Just a few work in progress shots of the Chaos Warrior. I am going to pinch the shoulder pads and a few other bits to make some veteran marauders as well :D

Dogman55
05-18-2007, 20:54
Simply amazin! No other way to describe it! Awesome Work guys!

Born in lust for blood
05-18-2007, 22:36
Man, I am reallyu excited about this mod.

Eufarius
05-19-2007, 18:49
Bwian awesome mod! truly looking forward to downloading it.
also how do you add the skin to the model? :smg: :hmg:

Bwian
05-19-2007, 20:42
Eufarius ... I'm not sure what you mean. The model is UV mapped, and the material applied. Standard 3D modelling practice. Then...in game, you tell the game what texture to use on the model, and it is applied to the mesh as dictated by the UV map.

Dogman55
05-20-2007, 00:38
Question Bwian:

Will captains be different for every faction as well, or can they not be modified?

Bwian
05-20-2007, 09:28
Different factions will have different captians. You can't have a unit of Dwarves commanded by an Orc ......

Bwian
05-20-2007, 14:12
Since it has been days since our last gratuitous showing off with lovely eye candy, I figured it was time to unveil the next finished product. You've seen it in development...now feel the joy of

CHAOS!

https://img405.imageshack.us/img405/858/cw1er3.jpg

https://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5107/cw2rx0.jpg

https://img406.imageshack.us/img406/512/cw3px5.jpg

uanime5
05-20-2007, 14:44
Chaos belongs to Denmark? But seriously great job Bwian.

Also Bwain will each Chaos faction have units with different uniforms or will there just be one set of uniforms for the Chaos factions?

Jargon
05-20-2007, 15:35
I can go to bed happy tonight. Great work on the map and models.

Bwian
05-20-2007, 16:30
Uanime5 ... have you ever BEEN to Denmark? I have. If you are querying whether or not we will have Chaos as seperate factions with unique colour schemes for each faction... well...I think this should answer your question :beam:

https://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4312/cw4kj5.jpg

The plain black colours I have assigned to 'slave' to use as rebels not aligned to any of the declared factions

Dogman55
05-20-2007, 16:40
Wow. Friggin' ay man. They look great!

Meneldil
05-20-2007, 17:02
Well, quite frankly, I think they're a bit too thin. Chaos Warriors are like fantasy Space Marines. They wear huge ornemented armors, that make them literally look like robots.
Helmet, shoulder and chest armors are fine, but then they have their slim arms and legs, and somehow that look weird.

As for their colors, I think some of their are too bright. The Nurgles one especially.

The game workshop US site (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/hordesofchaos/painting/4colors/khorne.htm) has some nice colours scheme, that look more realistic IMO.

I know criticizing is easier than actually modelling and texturing, but well, I had to give my opinion :clown:

Bwian
05-20-2007, 18:09
The thickness of limbs is relative...and I think the later versions of GW miniatures just went way too far. These are humans after all! To make the bodies thicke is possible...but then you get real issues with makign them bend smoothly. The animation distorts the mesh a lot more, and you get very poor joints. They look OK to me, and move and flex nicely. Some things you just have to live with! I am more worried how I am going to do the elite Champion type units. They MUST be bigger and chunkier than the Warriors

I can try and tone down the green easy enough, but the red I like....
Blue and purple are spot on for me as well.

and...just for fun ... I have mounted the Marauders and given them spear primary weapons:

https://img57.imageshack.us/img57/9772/mar5im5.jpg

Eufarius
05-20-2007, 19:07
what i meant Bwian was when i'm trying to change imperial knight( HRE) i add the texture for it it comes out a huge mess. BTW im using milkshape.:help:

alexader
05-20-2007, 19:32
bwian,these lads are awesome(from my point,i didn't like little those how hadn't had helmet,not because i want everyone to have a helmet but for the reason that the head are the same,also i think it's good to make a little difference on the horns)but it is still awesome,i can't wait.keep it up..:egypt:

alexader
05-20-2007, 19:53
bwian,will you include shields for them?i want to add something for the end,these weapons that you've made for the are awesome.keep walking men,you rockkkkkkkkkkk....................:egypt:

alexader
05-20-2007, 20:00
i think you should make a litlle more armor in the legs and arms,also afur-coat would be good./.........:egypt:

Bwian
05-20-2007, 20:05
To have another head texture means another head model and some more texture space. I was running out of space on the texture and had to limit how many head variations I had. This is still better than RTW, when ALL the models looked the same!

Shields are going to be added for the upgrade models.

Eufarius ... if you are trying to add a skin for a model that was never meant to have that skin, then the UV map will be all wrong. You can't do it and expect it to work. Do a google search and look up UV mapping.

Eufarius
05-20-2007, 20:29
thank you very much YOU ROCK WARHAMMER!!!:yes:

Jargon
05-20-2007, 23:44
Is the helmetless chaos warrior using a head texture made by you? Whenever I think of a chaos warrior I imagine someone bald with pale skin. Not that big a deal really, the current guy just looks a little normal.

Casuir
05-21-2007, 00:46
The thickness of limbs is relative...and I think the later versions of GW miniatures just went way too far. These are humans after all!

Sorry to disagree but they're not actually, the fluff says that their armour is fused to their bodies and cant be removed, sortof an exoskeleton if you like. That'd be my main gripe with these guys, they look too much like normal guys wearing armour. Its the helmets I think, they look a little oversized compared with the rest and faces shouldnt be visible through the visor, a black slit would be much more menacing.

Eufarius
05-21-2007, 02:01
true they do look thin maybe making them buffer will help?

Dogman55
05-21-2007, 02:16
true they do look thin maybe making them buffer will help?

The thing is Bwian says that if they look buffer, annimations and joints begin to look sloppy, I think. But this also leaves me to think, what will you guys do with creatures like orcs and Lizardmen that are either much taller, buffer, or both more then a man? Can you rework skeletons to make it less sloppy?

Bwian
05-21-2007, 09:31
OK .... reality check time:

1) Yes ..we can make the skeleton change to broaden the shoulders and make the model look beefire. Downside is... you would need a COMPLETE set of animations for the movements. I will be doing this for the greenskins and will re-use the change for the Lizardmen and a few others with some scdaling. I will also do it for the Dwarf race, since there is no other way to do Dwarves. I have already planned to treble the number of animations in the game, and this has a resource overhead....both in terms of the size of the mod, and of the speed of gamepley. I don't want to further up the size of the animations file unless I absolutely have to.

2) If you make limbs too thick, they do not bend well on a skeleton like the game has. The subtlety of movement goes unless you ramp up the polygon count and sculpt the msucles to hide the effect. I have gone for a compromise that allows us to get something workable without looking too bad.

3) The head is already underscale to give the illusion of a bulkier body. I can take that a bit further ... but again....there are limits before things start to look a little odd when seen against the other models in game.

So...where does this leave us:

First off, I can change the face texture of the helmetless variant easy enough. Something more pale and unhealthy will be the order of the day. I wanted the faces to be visible on the ordinary warriors, but not on the more elite units. These guys would probably want to keep their faces hidden! The upgrades will also be featuring mutations on some of the visible bits.

Secondly..I have some ideas how I can bulk up the arms and legs with some added plates to uncrease the size of the pieces, but leave the knee and elbow joints untouched. There will be some issues ... but I think I can hide most of it. Whatever I do here, I must work with the stock skeleton for now. If it is possible to introduce a scale factor without the need for multiple versions of the animations, then I would fiurther decrease the size of the head and up the overall scale by about 5-10% ... but only if I can do it without animation pain!

thirdly ...don't worry about the greenskins or the Lizards ... they are sufficiently non-human to need a rebuild anyway. I just don't want to overdo the new skeletons ... there are limits if we are to keep it playable.

Casuir raised an issue about the armour on a Chaos Warrior. I double checked the text, and the ordinary Warriors are definitely human. They are the best of the warrior Northmen, who survive long enough to rise in the ranks. The Champions have the Chaos Armour that never comes off ... not the ordinary guys.

Finally ... we are constrained by some of the game mechanics and underlying hard-coded features and functions. There will inevitably be comproimises, and we will do what we can to work around it .. but there will be times when we can't do exactly what we want. For those of you familiar with modding this game, I am sure you have been there! For those of you who have never tried to mod an TW game ... welcome to reality!

uanime5
05-21-2007, 13:50
Uanime5 ... have you ever BEEN to Denmark? I have.

I mentioned Denmark because one of the Chaos soldiers is carrying the Danish banner.

https://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5107/cw2rx0.jpg

Bwian
05-21-2007, 14:02
yeah ..I am using that faction for one of the Chaos factions ... seemed to fit :laugh4: Copenhagen is a pretty chaotic crazy place. The others are slotted into Hungary, Sicily and Milan ... for no reason at all.

DrZoidberg
05-21-2007, 14:44
I only have one comment...or two. 1) is that I think Slaaneesh chaos warriors should have bright pink armour and not purple. It's a matter of taste. 2), great work. These are fucking awesome. This mod will kick so much ass. Good work.

Bwian
05-21-2007, 17:47
Bright Pink!! You got to be kidding me :clown: Blue, Purple and pink are the colours favoured by the warriors of Slaanesh... but I would use pink more as a highlight or a colour on a banner....not on the armour...... please....not on the armour ;)

Bwian
05-21-2007, 21:58
OK ... for all of you who thought the old Warrior was a bit wimpy ... meet:

The Chaos Warrior Buffed a bit!

https://img73.imageshack.us/img73/852/cw5bu5.jpg

The picture shows some standing in amongst a group of Marauders to get some idea of scale. It's not perfect...because the feet are stuck in the ground some..but I might be able to fix that with a bit of work. The basic mesh is scaled up by a factor of 1.2 , and the head was left at it's original size.

alexader
05-21-2007, 22:01
ok,now.these are rocking,good work again Bwian..........:egypt:

Dogman55
05-21-2007, 23:49
Yeah! They're awesome! And about before with my questions about Greenskins and Lizardmen, thanks for answering. It may be like a dumb thing to answer, but it's all something hard to me!

Casuir
05-22-2007, 07:50
My apols bwian you were right, I took the chaos armour blurb as being for the ordinary armour. The new guys look better, more like the artwork in the army book. Mind if I take a look at them close up? Not going to nitpick or anything but I had wanted to take a shot at these guys myself and wouldnt mind seeing how your version compares against what I had envisioned.

Bwian
05-22-2007, 09:35
No problem Casuir .... I will have one more go at getting the upsized skeleton to stand on the ground properly tonight. I am not happy with the 'feet underground' effect!

I figured I would have a go at scaling ( it's a bit picky....but it's not as bad as I feared ) as that was the only way I could make the models look and feel big without overstretching the mesh. Making the physical mesh bulkier just ruined the way the bones and mesh deformed. They were already pretty bulky.

What the crowds were saying was right though...these guys were the elite of the Marauders, who had surviived their 'pilgrimage' to the Northlands and were the toughest of the tough. They ought to be the finest physical specimens. The 'upgraded' versions of the troops will feature mutations and deformities in accordance with their own faction. Nurgle troops will be 'diseased and rotting' and so on.

The nexst challenge is the Chaos Champions. I want the units to be as small as we are allowed to make them, but scaled up by another 1.2 factor. The armour will be as varied as I can get away with, and they need to be really NASTY!

Last challenge for me here will be getting mounts to work. I tried putting a skeleton horse in, and it failed badly. I don't know why :wall:

Checking back through the MESH thread, there was another guy who posted the same kind of problem. No rider, and the mesh all screwed up. I'm waiting for GOM's converter to expand to cover mounts before I push on in that direction. I do plan to re-skin the horses for the Chaos factions though.

Can't recall .... do the Chaos Warriors come in mounted form.... or should I reserve that for the mounted Knights ... who are basically mounted super warriors?

Casuir
05-22-2007, 10:29
So the upgraded versions will be seperate units then rather than an armour upgrade? If you dont mind I'd like to take a crack at one of the faction variants, I really wanted to take a crack at these guys after seeing the Mark of Chaos intro. I think from the screens you might get away with 1.1 scaling on these guys and 1.2 on the champions. Dunno about the mounts thing, my milkshape trial ran out a while ago and I havent been much use on that front since, KE did say it hasnt been extensively tested though, probably a few bugs that need ironing out. He released a new version a couple of days ago, make sure you have it.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92321

No, theres no mounted warriors, only the knights, who are really warriors with +1 to strength, and their chosen upgrade.

Bwian
05-22-2007, 12:54
There is the facility to make upgrades show as different models. The stock units do this quite a lot, though they are actually using mostly re-skinned versions of hte same model. It's still a new unit in modeldb and referenced in the units text file as an upgrade. I figured we could use this for Chaos to take a stock model and 'warp' it some, add some unhuman body parts and end up with a unit warped by Chaos. Drop me a PM and let me know what units you want to work up... I will send you the bits to work on.

I am also going to experiment with some officer units.... the officer slots are available, and I will add both horn-players and standard bearers for the Tomb Kings that way.

Oh yes...and the Ushabti and bone-giant will be underway as soon as I get the trick of scaling spot on.

Already building a Chaos Knight too :2thumbsup:

Casuir
05-22-2007, 15:07
Faction specific upgrade models arent possible that way though, you'd have to use the same model for each faction. Stats change seems to be limited to a +1 armour upgrade as well, although there looks to be some confusion over this. You wouldnt be able to add a bonus for shields for example. You could use a seperate entry in the edb for each faction, theres only 4 and the limits 500.

Bwian
05-22-2007, 19:12
I think it would be 4 units well used :D

The various factions hsould have their own unique mutations. We can consider them to be Veteran Warriors, and just make them a bit tougher and more combat worthy....and just make them from a more developed settlement. As the book says, the longer the warriors serve, and the more often they visit the far north, the more deformed they become. The 'gifts' of the gods are given.

Casuir
05-22-2007, 19:49
The army list allows one unit of chaos warriors to be upgraded to a unit of Chosen equipped with chaos armour so I guess that would be these guys. Also allows for a unit of knights to be upgraded as well.

Anarion
05-22-2007, 20:12
Great work you guys are doing here, its awesome!
i've got a question; shouldnt the empire units have more armour on there selfs like similar to the mark of chaos cinematic?

alexader
05-22-2007, 20:24
i had the some question like you but it not the right to have too much armor.the empire soldiers are light armored troops,we don't copying what mark of chaos has but in the tabletop game the most of them have some kind of armor protection in the torso and in the legs,nowhere else(except the head with the helmet).so i think we have to put a little more armor when we will made those troops.:egypt:

Bwian
05-22-2007, 20:47
We are basing our work on the Armybooks, official GW approved miniatures and the supporting supplements and officially approved stuff. What we are NOT doing, is using Mark of Chaos as a guide. It's someone else's impression of Warhammer, and there is much in it I do not like. If it had been all that good...I wouldn't be bothering with this mod :yes:

Dogman55
05-23-2007, 02:21
It's someone else's impression of Warhammer, and there is much in it I do not like. If it had been all that good...I wouldn't be bothering with this mod :yes:

Damn shame that game.:bomb: It failed miserably. Let's hope another comes soon (After this mod, of course!))

Eufarius
05-23-2007, 04:12
man beautiful the chaos warriors look amazing.

cant wait to DL this mod.:yes:

Casuir
05-23-2007, 06:31
Looking at the texure you sent me bwian it looks like the guys in the screenshots are wearing mipmaps, you at the highest level of detail you can get? Not really doing your work justice there.

Bwian
05-23-2007, 14:40
Not sure .... but I thought so! I need to double check my settings. I always save the DDS and let it generate mip maps.

Some of my screenshots come out really well .... but others just don't! I have been trying to get the really nice close ups you get when the enemy general falls in a custom battle....some of those come out really nicely.

I know SOMETHING is scfrewy, since I set the game to run at 1440x900 on my widescreen, but the screenies were coming out 1024x768 in the TGA folder....

Casuir
05-24-2007, 00:52
That happens to me as well, dont know how to change it. Mip maps work by selecting the size map which is closest to the actual pixel size on screen, so for best results the larger the figure onscreen the better the pic. Widescreen would be limiting your onscreen size a good bit wouldnt it?

Decker
05-24-2007, 01:50

"oy boz, oo iz wae pillugen nex?"

This came to mind looking at the screeny. I can't wait for the mod guys, good work and keep it up.

Meneldil
05-24-2007, 09:19
OK ... for all of you who thought the old Warrior was a bit wimpy ... meet:

The Chaos Warrior Buffed a bit!

The picture shows some standing in amongst a group of Marauders to get some idea of scale. It's not perfect...because the feet are stuck in the ground some..but I might be able to fix that with a bit of work. The basic mesh is scaled up by a factor of 1.2 , and the head was left at it's original size.

Now they look much more impressive, well done Bwian.

Bwian
05-24-2007, 10:10
If you like these guys ...wait until you see the Chaos Knights! I might have toi tone down the scaling to 1.1 rather than 1.2 to get the proportions acceptable for the nights. I will try them at 1.3 ...and see. If they look too big, then 1.1 will be put in for the Chaos Warriors, and 1.2 for Knights. Champions might come in as leader units, and they would have to be bulkier still!

I also want to add some standard bearer units

Krazysigmarite
05-25-2007, 05:54
outdated shots removed

Eufarius
05-25-2007, 08:47
very nice. man the shield design look great. but giving them the voulgier weapon dosen't fancy wit me but they look great. also are you working on the knights?:juggle2:

Krazysigmarite
05-25-2007, 09:55
Thanks for the complements!

The GW models have voulgiers, so I figured it was appropriate, as shown in the box art:
Men at Arms box art (http://www.hillcity-comics.com/role_play/gw/82-09a.jpg)

Meneldil
05-25-2007, 09:55
They are great, it's a bit of a shame that we have to mix different shield designs, but heh, that's better than having only one design :)

Edit : A helm variation would have been great IMO. Don't know if it's possible, but that would add a bit more variation, apart from the shield designs.

And yeah, voulgiers seem to have replaced the basic spear as Men at arm main weapon ;)

Jargon
05-25-2007, 10:08
The variety of shield designs does help to make such a minor unit seem more distinctive. A second or third helmet design, similiar to the ones worn by the men on the far left and right hand side of the Bretonnian men at arms box, would be neat.

Anarion
05-25-2007, 13:14
Hmm.. sad about the armour thing.. would really have liked empire with atleast some medieval looks, but anyway..
arn't you gonna use anything from MoC? Because i was wondering if not.. where will you get the voices from(are you even going to have voices)?
And about thoes Bretonnians men-at-arms why does they have different colour/signs on the shield? Should they be similar to the orginal? They look a bit colourful to me.. :S

Casuir
05-25-2007, 13:55
No nothings going to be used from moc, for a start its against gw's ip usage policy. Then theres the problem of not being able to extract the files even if you wanted too, and besides all the the voice acting in it is crap.

Nice work krazysigmarite, I'd weather the shields a bit, they're a bit too bright. These guys are responsible for buying and maintaining their own equipment so it probably would be abit worse for wear.

btw I hope thats not the final colour scheme for the empire

Ciaran
05-25-2007, 14:38
Those Brettonians are great!

Plus, all the different heraldry of the lords looks great, very Bretonnian, and its a nice contrast to the neutral colours of the infantry's armor.

My thought exactly! The Bretonians are a very diverse army, in terms of appearance. And I wouldn´t tone down the shields too much, the coat of arms is, after all, their lord´s pride, and he´d be eager to show it off.

Hm, I´m looking forward to the Bretonian Knights. And the Imperial ones, too.

Bwian
05-25-2007, 15:23
Anarion ... Nothing will be used from MoC. That is a copyrighted commercial product, and we do not have permission to use it. Any sounds and voices we use will either come from the stock MTW2 game, or be done ourselves.

If we start using material from Mark of Chaos, we will end up an ex mod with a cease and desist order, and I will have to hit the delete button on all the teams hard work. Not going to happen!

Besides ... I firmly believe we have the talent and the tools to do our own.

Krazysigmarite
05-25-2007, 16:43
btw I hope thats not the final colour scheme for the empire

Could you elaborate?

Casuir
05-25-2007, 16:57
Well, if we're not using state specific units the talabheim colours mightnt be the best scheme for the whole army. Blue and red of Altdorf maybe. If that is the scheme we're using then maybe desaturate the red a bit and dirty up the white, the contrast between the two is a bit jarring.

Krazysigmarite
05-25-2007, 17:28
I agree about making Altdorf the primary uniform for the Empire, as it is representative of Reikland, and is the capital of the Empire, as well as the seat of Emperor Karl Franz. I only started with Talabheim because it's the uniform commonly associated with the models. As far as state-uniforms go, my hope is that we can allow for at least one unit to represent each province/city-state, on top of the standard army.
Examples like:
Nuln: Helblaster Volley Gun (With nuln-uniformed crew)
Middenheim: Knights of the White Wolf
Ostermark: Ostermark Halberdiers
Hochland: Hochland Long-Rifles (Extra Long ranged skirmish gunpowder unit)
Stirland: Stir River Patrol

And so on. Just some ideas. As far as the white on red goes, the uniform is supposed to be jarring - I wanted the unit to look like the tabletop models. I still want to touch up the textures a bit and mess around with different model variations for the empire infantry, so there's plenty of room for improvement as of now.

Myrddraal
05-25-2007, 19:04
Some constuctive critisism (hopefully :wink:)

IMO the empire textures so far are to saturated, and too uniform. De-saturating them a little, and adding some texture would be a great improment.
To make them look perfect, follow that up with adding some creases to the material, and they'll look life like :bow:

Casuir
05-26-2007, 07:55
Nothing wrong with wanting units to look like the tabletop models but bear in mind those are pretty limited in how good they can be made look. If you look at the artwork in the empire books the troops have a much grittier look to them.

AliAS
05-26-2007, 08:12
Awesome work. Ppost more pics :clown:

Bwian
05-27-2007, 11:49
https://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9484/dwa1am5.jpg

New set of Dwarves is built and textured ( almost! )

These are the Miners ... with pickaxe, shovels and hammers. Also done is a stripped down version which will become the Troll Slayers. Hair will gingerised, and the arms and bodies will be bare and tatooed.

Then I will add some armour and helmets to make the warriors.

Thunderers are also underway.

radcan
05-27-2007, 13:52
Looking awesome mate keep it up.

overkill1991
05-27-2007, 22:29
troops are always made of several different ''pieces'' to make them look unique.

how about you make this for the dwarfs too but then have different shapes and beard colours ?

dont know if you already were planning on doing this but i thought it would be cool :yes:

Krazysigmarite
05-28-2007, 03:18
All of our units will be given plenty of variation, we're taking advantage of what we have for the M2TW engine :yes:

Bwian
05-28-2007, 14:00
Currently this model has 4 variations on the head with different styles and colours of beard, 3 weapons, 2 leg options and 3 different bodies. That's pretty much normal for the stuff I am making.

Blood Claw
05-29-2007, 02:38
Everything looks really good and I like the little details and such that you are adding that really give them that Warhammer feel. My favorite unit is probably the bretonnian men at arms, I love the armor and those shields are just perfect.

I also think that is it cool that you are making four chaos armies, one for each of the gods. I think that in the future, this is a great idea because then you could easily model various god units, such as plaguebearers and then just put them in for the correct army, among other things. I am not sure if you had planned this already, you probably did but I was just adding an idea. I also like that the chaos warriors are actually larger than the mauraders, it just looks right. Keep up the great work my friend.

I almost forgot, those skeletons with coffin lids are really cool looking as well and those zombies, you asked about the color, well, I think the color is good and if you even wanted to add that extra touch, you could add in a bluish hue for some of the models and maybe even a brownish hue so that they were varied. I still really like them though, just adding in an idea.

:2thumbsup:

Bwian
05-29-2007, 22:04
Might try varying the colour of hte zombies a bit ... they do need something ...I'm just not sure exactly what!

But...yes...as Blood Claw said, the Chaos units will be getting faction specific specials to round out their armies. We just couldn't do that if they were one faction. You would end up with issues about Khorne Berserkers rubbing shoulders with Nurgle Plague-Bearers, and that just doesn't seem right to me.

I've had a couple of days off, but will be getting the Dwarf in game to test it's rigging, and if that goes well, I shall start work on the more serious variations.

Raz
05-30-2007, 01:58
I think that the Chaos Warriors heads aren't quite as deformed. The heads in the miniatures lean forward a lot, almost with no neck. I took some pictures of mine that show this well.

https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3726/img0664bo7.th.jpg (https://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0664bo7.jpg) https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/139/img0663mc0.th.jpg (https://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0663mc0.jpg)
https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5829/img0661sp9.th.jpg (https://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0661sp9.jpg) https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7615/img0665hz6.th.jpg (https://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0665hz6.jpg)

Any chance of the no-neck version? They seem a little more Warhammer like. :yes:

(Note: The fuzzy grey seen on the miniatures is dust, they are a tad old. ^_^)

Jargon
05-30-2007, 03:10
I dunno, I prefer the new version of Chaos warriors, they look a less like quasimodo.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/hordesofchaos/catalog/chaos_warriors_box.htm

They still dont have much of a neck, but arn't quite as hunched over as the old warriors.

Raz
05-30-2007, 03:13
Pfft, it's only because they have a cape. :laugh4:

Casuir
05-30-2007, 17:11
Making the head jut out like on the old style of minature would need the head bone to be moved, meaning new animations. The new minaures are a bit chunky looking but they're a bit more in line with the artwork. The khorne variants I'm working on are delayed due to problems with my monitor but looking like this atm:
https://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3191/khornezw4.th.png (https://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=khornezw4.png)

Eufarius
05-30-2007, 17:39
nice man

Dogman55
05-30-2007, 23:24
Wow. That does look good!

Bwian
05-30-2007, 23:39
Casuir's guy is intended as an 'elite' or veteran version of the basic chaos warrior. These are the chosen warriors, and are the first chaos units that are really faction specific. There will be Knights and champions above this, who will get progressively more extreme.

As Casuir has pointed out, the 'neck' bone determines where the head is and where it pivots. To move this would require a complete new set of animations and all the resources that go with it. Not going to be practical for the results. All the artwork in the armybooks shows heads sitting on shoulders.... and I think that is how it should look. If we end up with heads jutting out the front, then they will be fixed and part of the torso, not animating.

I'm stuck between making more Dwarves or filling out the ranks of Chaos ...ahh...what a dilemma! :juggle2:

Eufarius
06-01-2007, 00:02
you can do it mate this mod is turning out to be pretty frikin awesome:juggle2: :yes:

Bwian
06-01-2007, 21:26
https://img61.imageshack.us/img61/65/skelhzd9.jpg

Methinks they have not been feeding their horses well enough.....

textures are rough and ready, and are definitely NOT the finished article, but the mesh and rigging are done and working well. MY first attempt at putting this in game failed miserably...so I am just glad to see them running about :beam:

Taranaich
06-01-2007, 21:38
Huzzah, Bully for you! Very nice horse skeletons, segmented or organic?

Bwian
06-02-2007, 00:22
I've tried to make them as bony looking as possible...and the same is true for the animations!

Dogman55
06-02-2007, 01:19
haha. Those are awesome Bwian!

Casuir
06-02-2007, 01:30
Nice work

Blood Claw
06-02-2007, 02:04
This picture is making me think that this mod will be very amazing even though I already thought that. I am so glad to see and hear that they are working better and that isn't even the final product. Great work and keep it up, would love to see some of those in action too if you get a chance.

Eufarius
06-02-2007, 03:53
holy Sh!t

DrZoidberg
06-02-2007, 07:58
holy Sh!t

I'll second that. I just came in my pants when I saw the horses.

Bwian
06-02-2007, 11:30
Bllod Claw wanted to see the mounted skeletons in action ...so here they are!

https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5232/skelh2ki8.jpg

Jargon
06-02-2007, 13:15
Can a skeleton go Yeehhaaww? Thats what I would be screaming cutting those marauders down. brilliant work.

alexader
06-02-2007, 14:42
Bwian these look awesome.can you put to the skeleton horses armor or even on the skeletons,or you think that is good for an upgrade,what do you think? :egypt:

Bwian
06-02-2007, 14:51
Yup ... there will be more armoured skeletons and armoured mounts too. The Tomb Kings don't really have much by way of armoured cavalry, but the undead horses will be used by the Vampire Counts too, and hte more elite undead will need powerful mounts :skull:

alexader
06-02-2007, 15:28
ok,thanks for answering,you are the man,you roll..........:egypt:

Dogman55
06-02-2007, 16:30
Wow. Those look great!

Blood Claw
06-02-2007, 20:20
They look really good fighting and thanks for posting the picture of them in action. By the way, good to see the mauraders more up-close as well, I especially like that purple tattoo on the one guy towards the left.

Armand
06-03-2007, 04:55
Bwian, they look absolutly awesome:2thumbsup: ! good work and i look forward to seeing more:clown:
best of luck!!!

RedDevil
06-03-2007, 15:20
Great job!!! But if MTW2 is realistic game why you convert it to game like Heroes with skeletons, zombies, tombs...?? I don't want to offend your work... This is only my opinion...

Blood Claw
06-03-2007, 15:44
Well, in my opinion, he decided to convert it because he has the power too and because he likes Warhammer. Those are just my thoughts and personally, I am very much looking forward to playing this mod more than any other.

Bwian
06-03-2007, 16:52
Red Devil ...Blood Claw is pretty much spot on. If I wanted to play an accurate simulation of Medieval warfare ...er....well ... it came in the box.

The challenge of making a mod is what I wanted, and the pleasure of making something good. It's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't made or played mods like this before. Add to that the fact that no-one has actually made a Warhammer PC game that I actually enjoyed. Mark of Chaos failed to hit the spot...and the efforts before that were miles away from being good.

Yet, the Warhammer world has masses of great material, a huge fan-base, and makes for a damn good wargame. MTW2, whilst being good at what it intended to be good at, is just not stretching what the game engine could do.

Us modders are a crazy bunch.....:clown:

Bwian
06-03-2007, 22:42
Since this is my 1000'th post ... I thought I would celebrate that milestone with something a little bit ...special :egypt:

The Tomb Kings have brought some 'friends' to the battle...and I think it's time to run away!

https://img483.imageshack.us/img483/255/bgyj6.jpg

These are dangerous foes!

Geoffrey S
06-03-2007, 22:45
Holy...!

Born in lust for blood
06-03-2007, 23:06
Please!! NOOOO MORE torture. I want this mod NOW! :D

Dogman55
06-03-2007, 23:47
I agree with BILFB... These teasers are preventing me from playing any other damn computer game... I want this mod!!!

Jargon
06-04-2007, 01:29
Unreal. Minotaurs, ogres, rat ogres, Kroxigors, theres no limit to the bad ass units that could be added...

Blood Claw
06-04-2007, 05:00
Those look amazing and with all the great work you have been doing so far, I can't wait to see more exotic armies like beastmen and lizardmen.

Armand
06-04-2007, 07:22
Another beutiful piece of art Bwian!! I can not describe how much i love this mod an await its release (drools):2thumbsup:

DrZoidberg
06-04-2007, 08:29
It's just getting better and better all the time. Those Bone Giants are frikkin beautiful.

ellydog
06-04-2007, 08:46
hhmm would they be able to take out more then one normal prson at a time?

DrZoidberg
06-04-2007, 09:04
hhmm would they be able to take out more then one normal prson at a time?

Here's just a wild guess, but I'm assuming we'll see exactly the same animations and events triggered as we get when elephants attack.

Bwian
06-04-2007, 09:16
Currently they are using scaled up 2H Axe attacks. I need to do some tweaking, however, since there is a 'death' animation that goes with this setup that is triggered by the kill. This is also scaled up....and I have to find a way to prevent that. I suspect a simple edit of descr_skeleton will do it....but I can't be sure. Otherwise I will have to switch to another animation set!

The figures are also a standard unit. The minimum figures per unit value for MTW2 is quite low .... you can have 5 set in the unit text, which gives 12 figures on huge unit size. This is perfect for this kind of model. I have set the hits high, and the armour value up there...and also added launching to the primary weapon stats.

I need to tweak the hit sphere as well ... this will be trial and error ... to make sure that the units are hitting things in the right place. Then this will be all done! They do look pretty im[pressive towering over the palm trees!

Meneldil
06-04-2007, 09:29
Trully great work Bwian :)

uanime5
06-04-2007, 12:02
I can't wait to play with the Bone Giants. Their destructive power would be epic.

Taranaich
06-04-2007, 17:20
You could always scale up an skeleton set that has no death animations, like the mace one used by Imperial Knights, but of course that means they'd only use their nasty weapons with one hand, which isn't the same.

Would it be possible to remove the death anims?

Also: Bwian is not a demi-god. God is a demi-Bwian.

Ciaran
06-04-2007, 18:26
Since this is my 1000'th post ... I thought I would celebrate that milestone with something a little bit ...special :egypt:

The Tomb Kings have brought some 'friends' to the battle...and I think it's time to run away!

https://img483.imageshack.us/img483/255/bgyj6.jpg

These are dangerous foes!

Well that´s more than fully worth the 1000 post event. Holy blazes, but they look great.

Abokasee
06-04-2007, 18:33
Omg

Eufarius
06-04-2007, 19:28
I think it is safe to say this will be the best looking, and most fun mod for M2TW out there.

Am I right?:yes:
(if you agree put a smiley)

whiterussian
06-05-2007, 13:52
GREAT work!:balloon2:

one thing though, well its more like two things, first off: a while back you posted a screenie of some undead (vampire counts I think) that hade small round shields with a pair of crossed bones as motif on them. well frankly put it feelt like they were modeled from old warhammer models and they are in my oppinion really lame and not as cool as the more recent models. The cascetlid shields you gave the spearmen are far cooler and far nicer, I hope you use them instead. :yes:

secondly I dont quite like the looks of the chaos warriors and I hope that you make them look more like the latest GW chaoswarrior models instead of the old ones.

Dont get me wrong I think that most of your work is real topclass especially the khemri undead :egypt: I just hope that the rest of the models can be as cool.

:beam: keep it up

Bwian
06-05-2007, 14:26
There will be some basic low-level VC models that will use simple shields. The spearmen are slightly heavier infantry, and are using coffin lids as shields! There will also be some slightly more armoured skeletons with better gear.

The Chaos warriors are going to stay as they are though. There will be veteran versions with slightly more faction specific changes, and Knights and Champions. Each level is progressivlely bigger and badder!

The current models are a bit extreme to map onto a human skeleton, and this waqs an issue. They also seem to have donw wierd things to the necks..which would not gel with the stock animations. We intend to add a whole load of custom anims ... but there are limits. I will need all the anims for Dwarves and Orcs anyway, and the size of hte anim packs grow rapidly and bring an overhead for the system that some peoples computers might not like!

There are always compromises in modding! Same applies to the original game designers too.

Spankfurt
06-07-2007, 20:58
I agree with zoid on the kick ass part, but i think the should just be a brighter shade of purple. I don't want to critisize too much but i think the chain-mail arms look a little unrealistic on some of them, and their faces too normal looking. I also think the nurgle armour should have stains of some kind on them or kind of mutilated.

The positives BY FAR outweigh the minor things, keep up the amazing work

Spankfurt
06-07-2007, 21:05
I agree with zoid on the kick ass part, but i think the should just be a brighter shade of purple. I don't want to critisize too much but i think the chain-mail arms look a little unrealistic on some of them, and their faces too normal looking. I also think the nurgle armour should have stains of some kind on them or kind of mutilated.

The positives BY FAR outweigh the minor things, keep up the amazing work

Woahhhhhh sorry guys i just read page 3 and thought it was the last one. I feel so shitty.:oops:

Anyway no complaints WHATSOEVER about the bone giants, i think the best looking so far.

Bwian
06-07-2007, 23:04
Woah...a lot has happened since page 3!!!!

The Warriors are a bit bigger and meaner looking since then...plus Casuir is working on some veteran warriors which are intended to be more 'extreme' in terms of their faction alignment. The basic warriors are the toughest marauders given better gear. Still very human...and not 'gifted' by chaos. The verterans will be. The knights will be even more so! The warriors are quite normal by design...but things do get more extreme!

This weekend, I hope to have the first Orcs in game, along with some Dwarf warriors. I am finishing off the orc mesh and will make up the skeleton and animations for it next. Keep an eye out for the first screenies :laugh4:

Spankfurt
06-08-2007, 22:21
I think it would be appropriate to put you in the warhammer bible :laugh4:

Murfios
06-08-2007, 23:10
>>>>>Thats sweet!~:eek: ~:wacko:

Eufarius
06-09-2007, 05:45
this mod is going to be an awesome experience to play:yes:

Ciaran
06-09-2007, 09:45
This weekend, I hope to have the first Orcs in game, along with some Dwarf warriors. I am finishing off the orc mesh and will make up the skeleton and animations for it next. Keep an eye out for the first screenies :laugh4:

Hooray for Orcs :2thumbsup:
I´m really looking forward to them.
Not that I´m an Orc player - fact of the matter is I´m no Warhammer tabletop player at all, and if I were, I´d probably be an Empire player, with their late medieval/rennaisance style army - but they make great enemies.

Richdog
08-03-2007, 18:34
Well... i've spent some serious time reading this forum before doing a "proper" post and I have to say that I am absolutely and utterly flabberghasted by the sheer amount of solid work that has been out into this mod in such a short time. It is absolutely mind-blowing. A Warhammer mod has been my dream since I first saw work on the original Warhammer mod, but without any disrespect to the other team this is looking by far the most accomplished, and I don't mean because of the graphical advantags of the TW2 engine. The fact that you plan to include almost all of the races, and that it seems to be flowing so smoothly makes me optimistic that we'll see this in 2008. Bwian, top man.

The skellies look fantastic, as do the skeletal horses. However I don't think that the vampires should be riding on skeleton steeds, I think they would be better suited by a great black steed with red eyes... sort of the archetypal vampiric counts mighty steed.

The chaos warriors benefitted hugely from the scaling you did... they really looked too weedy before you beefed them up a bit. Now they look far more fluffy.

The Zombies also look good, but as has been said the colour seems tad drab for them. I know that rotting flesh isn't exactly going to be "bright and cheery" but they seem to just meld with the background terrain too much. A lightening of the skin along with liberal doses of purple ripped garments would go a long way to making them stand out more in my humble opinion.

Those bone giants... well... the possibilites for the units you could implement using that scale model are pant-wettingly fantastic... ogres, rat ogres, giants.

All in all this is easily my most highly anticipated mod in the world at this moment in time... and considering I play a lot of Warhammer 40k Dark Crusade, a game rife with amazing mods, that really is saying something.

I doff my cap to you Bwian, you're obviously a damn talented individual. I just can't wait to see this finished... in fact if you could be a good sport and eschew your social life completely in favour of working on this mod 24/7, taking Pro-plus instead of sleeping, and eating only via delivery so that you don't ever have to leave the house then I would greatly appreciate it.

Rich. :D

Bwian
08-04-2007, 12:33
So..Richdog...you reckon I should slow down a bit then ;)

The Tomb King's cavalry ( and, I hope, chariots ) will use skeletal mounts. The skeleton units for the Vampire Counts will get skeletal mounts, but only the basic undead. All the higher ranked undead units for the VC's will be on 'Night Mares' which will be your proper red-eyed pumped up demonic steeds.

As you mentioned ...the zombies need a touch of 'contrast' to make them stand out, and that will definitely be done.

I am currently working on some more Chaos units, and will try to finish off the Dwarf lineup soon too. Dared to take a holiday the other week.... but will soon be back up to speed again!

Rogu3granny
08-11-2007, 10:47
Bwian what’s going on by this i am talking about the lack of screenshots you have been posting, each weekend i would open this site like a excited kid on Christmas morning to be greeted by some awesome pics of your mod but then it just dried up, I feel like a jilted lover whose calls are not being returned :laugh4: , your killing me over here :wall:

Bwian
08-11-2007, 15:37
Combination of a holiday, some real life interference and the Wife's birthday!

Normal service will be resuming shortly. Been working on some new Chaos units and am re-looking at the Orc models

Richdog
08-14-2007, 12:41
So..Richdog...you reckon I should slow down a bit then ;)

The Tomb King's cavalry ( and, I hope, chariots ) will use skeletal mounts. The skeleton units for the Vampire Counts will get skeletal mounts, but only the basic undead. All the higher ranked undead units for the VC's will be on 'Night Mares' which will be your proper red-eyed pumped up demonic steeds.

As you mentioned ...the zombies need a touch of 'contrast' to make them stand out, and that will definitely be done.

I am currently working on some more Chaos units, and will try to finish off the Dwarf lineup soon too. Dared to take a holiday the other week.... but will soon be back up to speed again!

You DARED to take holiday? SHould be ashamed to be honest.:no:

Combination of a holiday, some real life interference and the Wife's birthday!

Normal service will be resuming shortly. Been working on some new Chaos units and am re-looking at the Orc models

Can't wait to see these new models... i'm awaiting screenies like a crack-ho her next fix yo. :laugh4:

I think once this is fully released and balanced i'll never play regular Medieval again... it'll seem as fun as sniffing grandmas custy niffs in comparison.:embarassed:

Bohemians
08-14-2007, 18:28
Very sweet Screenies... Great work to your team Bwian !

I have been a fan of Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer Role Playing games since 1986... still playing WRPG !! :D
So this is a very touchy vein you are touching here... keep your hard work !

At your service, Bohemians the Madman

Zasz1234
08-15-2007, 17:06
Truly amazing work going on here. I never played Warhammer but this stuff just looks awesome (I have read some of the fluff and love the epicness). Anyway it's nice to see a mod staying active, strong, and consistently good. I hope you keep it up and look forward to playing this mod:2thumbsup:

Azazel
08-19-2007, 21:47
Wow. Simply....wow. No there should be more, but I just can't put it into words. Bwain, the work looks great. I've been a long time Warhammer player and from what I see, it seems like it'll be extremely well suited to us people who have read through the army books.

Amazing. The skeletons are superb and the humans look rockin'. I can't wait to see the Orcs. :yes:

Detlef
08-19-2007, 21:54
@ Azazel

see here https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86820

Csatadi
09-20-2007, 11:03
Wonderful!

Bwian
09-21-2007, 20:51
There is more to view in the other 'eye candy' thread.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86820&page=8

the link will take you straight in to the Orcs that Alletun is making, but there is much more than that to look at in there!

Alletun
09-22-2007, 09:02
@bwian: just wanted to let you know im still around :laugh4: Uni just sucks away all my time.

Frodge
11-22-2007, 20:02
aww man whens this released. i want it now

Alletun
11-28-2007, 21:11
Couldn't really remember if work on a skaven model had already begun ... anyways heres my take on a base skaven:

https://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8403/progress1ex3.jpg

Jubal_Barca
11-28-2007, 21:24
My hand slowly crept towards my axe when I saw that pic... good stuff!

Zapp
11-28-2007, 21:55
Nice, that's some fine work. Can't wait to see it textured. Fur can be a bit tricky IMO.

Gnashfang
11-29-2007, 02:27
That looks amazing. Skaven are now going to be my second race to play! *After Orcs*

DrZoidberg
11-29-2007, 18:25
It's the hands that do it. Too many Skaven models focus on the teeth and make them look like otters. This is smashing. I love the hands. That is rat hands. Just holding them that myself puts me into the rat feelings. You might make them longer and thinner. Since that's how rat hands really look.

Good work. And everything else is also good. You're a genius Alletun in spite of being Norwegian.

A Norseman
11-29-2007, 19:22
Does rats have hands:sweatdrop:

Anyway.. Amazing.. as to be expected from the awesome norwegians :2thumbsup:

Cant wait to see screenies

Enthes
11-29-2007, 19:36
looking very good as allways :smash:

Spankfurt
11-29-2007, 22:33

My hand also crept to something.....slightly bigger than an axe:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

NagatsukaShumi
12-01-2007, 01:29

I hope to god thats not inuendo :laugh4:

Looking great fella's, the models are breathtaking.

Jubal_Barca
12-01-2007, 12:18
I hope to god thats not inuendo :laugh4:

Looking great fella's, the models are breathtaking.

I'm a dwarf. We don't DO innuendo.

Seriously, everyone seems to be taking that wrongly...

Alletun
12-03-2007, 21:34
Disclaimer: im not working on a wood elf faction, this wood elf was made for animation testing purposes, and when finished it will be put in the mod as a rebel (in the first release anyways).

These are not as"finished" as the other units i've made. They only have 1 variation.

thought i'd post them up anyway (and hey, there's some goblins in there too :beam: )

https://img164.imageshack.us/img164/7593/69195831ow7.jpg

https://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6356/56689630zc1.jpg

https://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1223/55411298bk1.jpg

https://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4200/31754883nc4.jpg

https://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3790/75649608pl9.jpg

A Norseman
12-03-2007, 23:17
Love them.. :D

I dont know how you do it.. either is your models more detailed or your screenshots superior..

realy good >;)

Zapp
12-03-2007, 23:52
That's some fantastic stuff really. My favourite of all your stuff actually. :)

Spankfurt
12-04-2007, 01:37
HOLY CRAP ME TOO

Silly Knicket
12-04-2007, 01:42
Ehrm... and you consider these elves "unfinished"? :)
Awesome quality, as usual.

Enthes
12-04-2007, 01:58
god damn loverly. you work is as usual outstanding :2thumbsup:

ellydog
12-04-2007, 02:24
I would consider them almost finished, mabye just a tad variation to the head, like a pulled down hood, and variation to the face.

I love the bows, really captures the warhammer feeling. Great work!

Bean
12-04-2007, 07:31
I can't get over how simply awsome your modelling and texturing is. Do you do this for a living? Superb, Great Work!

Meneldil
12-04-2007, 11:29
Do'h dude, these Elves and Goblins are up to WAR online standards. Great work.

tito
12-04-2007, 14:40
other wood elfs unit as rebel like:
-wood elf eternal guard
-wood elf glade riders
-wardancers
-wood elfs tree kin
-wood elf wilde riders

Alletun
12-04-2007, 14:41
Do you do this for a living?

I wish :laugh4:

A Norseman
12-04-2007, 15:34
I think at least the eternal guard is needed to make a suffishent wood elf army, Glade riders wuld be nice too.

Ofcourse, dryads wuld be awesome.. but the animations wuld not be right.. (shield stance)

Treekin wuld be possioble using the troll skeleton and give it a new skin.. but i dont know if its worth the trubble.

Revan-Shan
12-04-2007, 18:39
Mmmm, silvan elves, fantastic.

Alletun
12-04-2007, 20:33
here's a little bonus. A rendered image of the elf in base pose from 3dsmax (thanks to KnightErrant for creating the 3dsmax script for importing units)

His legs look abit wonky at this perspective.

https://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7726/19459910gx7.jpg

DrZoidberg
12-04-2007, 20:52
I prefer the term "panzies" for wood elfs. I think it's more descriptive. The panzies look great Alletun. Smashing. They would look great under a troll club.

A Norseman
12-04-2007, 22:12
Hmm.. He has a bit of a round face, But thats the only critticism i can come up with.. If you made him thinner and made his cheekbones more prominent, i think he will look more "elvish"

Revan-Shan
12-04-2007, 22:17
Hmm.. He has a bit of a round face, But thats the only critticism i can come up with.. If you made him thinner and made his cheekbones more prominent, i think he will look more "elvish"

I think the same.

Zapp
12-04-2007, 23:02
Don't take an unposed rendershot as final, animations do a lot you know. Judge that kind of stuff by the ingamefootage I'd say.

Enthes
12-05-2007, 01:21
in the screen shots they are a bit plump, i think they would look much better if taller and more slender

messenger
12-05-2007, 17:21
They are wearing a big cloak though....

Anarion
12-05-2007, 17:36
alletuns models/skins are incredible, it doesnt even looks like they're from this game!

messenger
12-05-2007, 17:39
All of the team's models are looking fantastic, just a shame Bwian seems to not have taking screenies as well sussed as Alletun...

Krazysigmarite
12-05-2007, 18:26
I can't figure out how to use the cinematic camera :thumbsdown:
-Or rather, I know how to use it, but spending 4 hours trying to get it set up with no luck put me off it!

Bwian
12-05-2007, 18:34
Nope..my screenshots are indeed rubbish!

Biggest problem I have right now is time. I am not going to get muuch modding work done till after Christmas now. Work is eating up just about all the tiume I have left after sleeping .... and I am not having fun!

Will get a few bits done, but won't be productive until after Christmas is over.

Silly Knicket
12-05-2007, 19:12
Considering the amount of time you already put into the mod, I suppose you deserve a break :)

Revan-Shan
12-05-2007, 20:00

Biggest problem I have right now is time. I am not going to get muuch modding work done till after Christmas now. Work is eating up just about all the tiume I have left after sleeping .... and I am not having fun!

Will get a few bits done, but won't be productive until after Christmas is over.

You should do what you like but I too have to do some things (maybe some video, write part of my book, make some warhammer drawings and train basketball) and instead of using Christmas to relax I will use it to work on them.

Doesn't matter, enjoy your Christmas!

:juggle2: :laugh4: :book: :balloon2: :2thumbsup: :yes: :beam: :clown: :egypt:

messenger
12-05-2007, 20:59

Real life is a bitch no?
Haha! Seriously though, you don't have to devote every moment of the festive season just for our ravenous Warhammer needs!

Bwian
12-05-2007, 23:01
Real life is indeed a bitch!

My day job is running a customer service unit in the biggest depot in the UK's biggest parcel delivery company. Try doing that at Christmas time... or...better still... come and take over from me while I take a few weeks off to finish up those Chaos Knights :whip: :whip: :whip:

Still..on the plus side, I managed to sketch up some ideas for the Nurgle troops, and some ideas for 'deformed' versions of the Choas Warriors as veterans, and have been giving some thought to pulling together the ideas we have for the stas and balancing.

That's all stuff I can do while I pretend to pay attention in meetings :clown:

Eufarius
12-05-2007, 23:03
I prefer the term "panzies" for wood elfs. I think it's more descriptive. The panzies look great Alletun. Smashing. They would look great under a troll club.
LOL yeah I agree too the panzies look great.

Spankfurt
12-06-2007, 03:03
Let's all call Bwian at work to keep him motivated and to tell him what a sweet-heart he is <3

Decker
12-06-2007, 09:01
I really need to find my CD now:wall:

alexader
12-06-2007, 13:19
:smash: yeah,we love you bwian.you are our hero:clown: :whip: :egypt:

messenger
12-06-2007, 17:27
Let's all call Bwian at work to keep him motivated and to tell him what a sweet-heart he is <3
I think I took it too far when I asked what he was wearing...

Wood Elves look fine, they can't be all skinny if they are wearing their cloaks and what not.

Poka
12-27-2007, 01:26
Wow, this is the greatest MTW 2 mod i ´ve ever seen.

I really like the Skaven.

But i think the Chaos warriors look to "clean". I think there should be a bigger difference between the warriors of the different gods than just the colour of their armor. Even their bodies, colour of skin etc. should be different, because Chaos warriors have a much stronger affinity to the chaos and their gods than normal men of the north.

For example a Nurgle Warrior should look infested, mephitic and rotten. There should be splashes of slime and blood all over the armor. They should kinda look like being adnate to their armors.
Well, don´t just look at the miniatures, also look at the artwork. When the army book of chaos came out, there were articles for every chaos god in the White Dwarf. And there was a short story about an attack of a nurgle army and the warriors were descriped as really terrible looking creatures. They were followed by swarms of flies and yellos fog. Of course you can´t do that in your mod ^^
But the Nurgle guys should look like something to fear about.

Khorne warriors would need fur, skulls and animal teeths on their armor.
They could also get vampire or beast fangs, i saw that on a drawing in the White Dwarf.

Slaanesh warriors should be exotic. You could give them silk and jewellry.

To the skin colour: The Slaanesh warriors of the studio army have a very pale, a little bit blue skin. Also Slaanesh Warriors should look more handsome, they shouldn´t be ugly beard faces^^

Eufarius
12-27-2007, 03:44
first welcome to the forum and second have you checked the Chaos thread? in there Bwian mention about tentacles and other stuff,

Poka
12-29-2007, 05:15
Thx

I will check it, sounds interesting^^

tito
01-06-2008, 15:54
some other screan shoot?

Eufarius
01-06-2008, 20:03
Well they started working about a week ago so give'em a little time.

messenger
01-07-2008, 17:49
Generally they post when they have something they want to post...
Just wait and be patient.

Rogu3granny
01-23-2008, 17:54
03/12/07 really we could do with some new screenshots to wet out appetite