PDA

View Full Version : Would be nice if...

Vanya
02-05-2002, 22:16
Its nice that we currently have the 'engage at will' and 'skirmish' modes and all... But I would like to see a new mode added that could be set for all units -- missile and melee: 'attack nearest enemy unit'. When set, your unit will simply move in and attack the enemy that is closest to it within is sphere. This way, you can march a whole army in an organized fashion and have the units engage wisely instead of having to click on each unit to give them orders individually.

But, it should be a toggle... just like the others. It could -- *could* -- reduce some micro-management headaches... Maybe it would just benefit newbies or lazy generals... Maybe vets would stray away from using it except in particular situations... But I think it would be a nice feature to have. After all, the 'engage at will' does not really behave like this feature does...

What do youz think?

KukriKhan
02-05-2002, 22:29
I think I like it, on an individual unit, or grouped unit basis. Could have unintended bad consequences (ambushes, for example) if the whole army had been given that command. Could be quite handy for a defender's flank units.

Cheetah
02-06-2002, 02:12
perhaps you could set the range of nearest enemy unit? this way you could make "aggressive" or "defensive" armies.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-07-2002, 23:24
THis is a great idea. But along the same lines as cheetah...

If you set a unit of attack closest enemy he will find his closest, (be it in the opposite corner of the map) and follow that unit until another one becomes closer so your chosen unit follows that one.
Your unit would become very tired very quickly.Then it would become easy target for any fresh opposing unit.
The other problem could also be that the closest opposing unit could be on their advancing flank. So suddenly your unit goes AWOL and starts running towards their flank, gets cut off and you have one less unit.

So this little change could bring hell to the game but only if it is used. If it could be adapted so that there is a range upon which your unit suddenly strikes out towards another then it would be very useful.

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

tootee
02-07-2002, 23:29
Yes indeed a user configurable "engaging-range" should be the answer. The current sphere for "engage-at-will" is too small, just a couple of paces around the unit. A hth unit stopping right in front of a missile unit (b'cos I'm still busying controlling others) get shot standing still. With the new feature, I don't have to worry too much about it cos I know it will engage the missile.

------------------
tootee the goldfish
------------------

Vanya
02-08-2002, 22:03
Absolutely! I meant, even if I didnt include it or describe it well enough, that there would be e limited engagement 'ring' or sphere wherein your unit would attack others nearby. They would not attack if there were no units within the sphere.

http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Vanya (edited 02-08-2002).]

Morayin
02-17-2002, 10:32
A feature like that would find no use! ever see what happens when an ashiguru unit attacks a no-dachi with high honors? Didn't think so, their ussually a very dead, or very quickly RUNNING in the opposite direction. Now emagine every unit attacking something that has stregths agaist it. Now if the feature was "Strong agaist, attack at will" (or something simpler) i could see some use... Especially after things get hectic, disorganized (for you newbies thats when i unit is in 6 or 7 places, and being systematical shredded, for you veteren this is what happened when you were a newbie,) or when you just beat the hell out of half an army and your troops are just standing there.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-17-2002, 23:18
yes but it is a choice to put this trigger on or not. So only certain units would do this.

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"
http://www.gifs.net/animate/aniyin.gif