PDA

View Full Version : Why no Fatimides ??

Bohemond
02-18-2002, 03:59
At the beginning of the Crusades, Egypt was ruled by the splendid Kalifat of the Fatimides.

They were very similar to Byzanz in their wealth, decadence and eventual defeat. Interestingly, the two Nations had an extremely good relationship in spite of religion.

For this reason I would have liked them to be included, because they differ from the other Muslim factions, being in a very defensive position, not like the Turks or Saracens who both seemed to be unstoppable.

The Fatimides would have been a nice buffer state in between the Almohades and the Saracens, resulting in an additional non-religious conflict among Islam (in reality, the conquest of Egypt gave Nur-Ed-Dins governor and successor Saladin the power to crush the Frankish Crusader state)

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-18-2002, 05:03
I must admit I know nothing about this people. But yes it would have been nice to have a buffer race that just stopped the Saracens and Almohades going at each others throats straight away.

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"
http://www.gifs.net/animate/aniyin.gif

Leet Eriksson
02-18-2002, 19:12
the fatimids were declining at the begining of the crusades and so you only got the eyuobids who are the new saracen empire for some time and the ones who defeated the crusades.and the mohads were on friendly terms with the eyoubids.btw why would the muslims fight each other?they got their own problems(spanish for almohads and assasins and crusaders for the saracens(eyuobids).

Bohemond
02-19-2002, 00:29
Quote .btw why would the muslims fight each other?[/QUOTE]

They were constantly fighting each other. Many stories of wars between Muslims can be read in the History of the Crusades. All Nations were fighting for power.

Leet Eriksson
02-19-2002, 02:49
Yeah the war between shiites and sunnites but no 2 sunnites would fight each other and the same applies to shiites.like almohad would never fight the eyuobids(they never did anyway).

Bohemond
02-20-2002, 03:44
Well, this sounds sensible faisal, you seem to be more into this thing than me. I will have to check that.

Maybe you can answer me some questions then. Saladins was Eyubide and he was the ruler of Egypt, Palestine, Syria etc. How did he come to power? He was governor in Egypt for Nur-Ed-Din, so far I know, but did Nur-Ed-Din take over Egypt without resistance?

The reason I demanded the Fatimides is that I am still a bit on last years standpoint when the game was calles "Crusader Total War". Upon thinking it over, I think MTW 1100-1500 can do without another declining Nation.

I also have to admit that I'm not yet enough into this Shiites / Sunnites thing. Is it (at least at the time period, middle ages) comparable to the Katholic / Orthodox schism??

Thanx in advance and my regards to Abu Dabi (I once drank a coffee there during a stop at the airport and still keep the change)

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-20-2002, 04:26
Oh yeah the Fatimides may be an unplayable faction, like ronin. (obviously you can play as ronin when typing in .conan.) But this could be the answer. It could also include places such as Scotland, certain east european states Hungary, Poland, and so on and even the kingdom of Leon in Spain.

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"
http://www.gifs.net/animate/aniyin.gif

Leet Eriksson
02-20-2002, 13:43
To answer some of your qeustions:

1.Saladin came to power when Asad al din shirkuh died and later united demascus when Noor el din died.noor ed din took over egypt after he defeated the shii/crusader army there with the help of asad el din and saladin.

2.well not a big shism but greedy shii leaders hated the sunni but the overall poeple there helped the sunnis(like the relative of shawar(forgot his name)who planned to aid the sunnis and go against the crusaders and shiis)its still big though even on todays scale.

your wlecome btw hope you liked the coffee http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif