PDA

View Full Version : Traits, ancillaries and titles - Gathering some ideas

Meneldil
05-06-2007, 10:31
I know it might be a bit early to start thinking about these things, but I think it couldn't hurt to start throwing ideas. Hope Bwian and co don't mind ;)
While they might appear secondary, I think they're really important in order to catch a warhammer feeling, and overall, to make the game more fun and exciting, aswell as looking really polished.

So, I'll start by throwing my own ideas, and more precisely ideas for my favorite faction : the Bretonnians

Obviously, bretonnians should have specific traits that would be related to their carreer as knights.
Basically, as they perform their duties and serve the lady of the Lake, they should have access to higher ranks in the knightly hierarchy.

Most characters would start as Errant Knights. As such, they wouldn't be allowed to get any governor-like trait and ancillaries, no titles, etc, but would eventually get a bonus to moral (as errant knights as known to be willing to face the biggest threat possible to prove their bravery).
To achieve the title of Knight of the Realm, they would have to achieve various yet simple objectives : winning a few battles here and there for example.

Knights of the realms would lose their moral bonus, but would have access to governor, land-owner and other management titles, traits and ancillaries.

From now on, a few character, fulfilling some conditions (determined by other traits if possible), would become Knights of the Quest. As such, they would lose all of their governor traits (once again !), but be rewarded by battle-oriented stats (more moral, possibly more hitpoints, etc.)

Finally, by performing extraordinary tasks, a few chosen characters among the few knights of the quest would become Grail Knights. These tasks should be really hard to achieve, defeating huge armies against all odds, fighting far away from Bretonnia (don't know if coding that is possible, I doubt so), and things like that. Once they've become Grail Knights, they would be allowed to get back their management trait aswell as their battle traits, and possibly get more bonus (afterall, Grail Knight are among the most powerful human beings).

Jargon
05-06-2007, 11:14
Great ideas Meneldil, just the kind of thing that will add to the Warhammer feeling of the game.

Some other ideas for Bretonnia:
- Squire (fairly standard)
- Lady of the Lake Blessing (something about how they have been divinely touched)
- Minstrel (An increase to their fame)
- Damsel Saviour (known for running around saving damsels in distress)
- Reliquae (This general has a personal relique, increasing piety/command?)

If Chaos are a un-playbale horde race, i'm not sure if they need these, but a logical benefit for Chaos Generals would be mutation traits:

Leg Mutation (increased campaign map movement)
Chest Mutation (increased hitpoints)
Tail Mutation (increased what?)
Claw Mutation (increased attack)
Tentacle Mutation (theres no way to increase the speed/number of attacks without changing the animation is there?)

There are lots of possibilites, extra teeth, extra hands, toxic cloud attacks etc. There would also need ot be titles called Marks:

Mark of Khorne (increased combat stat)
Mark of Tzeeth (increased range combat)
Mark of Slaneesh (increased diplomacy? stat)
Mark of Nurgle (increased hit point stat)

The question is whether a Chaos General is part of Chaos Undivided before they gain a mark, or whether they become undivded afterwards. The great chaos lord Archaon is Undivided, and so can control all chaos armies, but there is also the fact that he is specfically chosen by the Chaos gods for the role. The title hierarchy I would suggest would be:

chaos undivided (no bonus, all chaos start this way) ----> mark of chaos (specific bonus) -----> Chosen of the Gods (lots of bonuses)

There should be a small percent chance for every non-chaos general in the game to possibly gain a Chaos Corruption trait. This fits in well witht he lore of the game that chaos is everywhere. It could range from an extremly slim chance for High Elves and Dwarves, to the largest percent chance for Humans and Orcs. I dont know if the Tomb Kings can be influence dor not by chaos. This will decrease their piety, loyalty, authority or whatever the appropraite stat would be, and it would be nice if this could potentially grow untill the general is fully chaos corrupted.

Touched by Chaos -----> Corrupted by Chaos -------> Controlled by Chaos

Dogman55
05-06-2007, 17:20
Hi guys. Warhammer geek here, at your service.:book:

Anyway. Some traits for the Lizardmen could be the different spawnings of the old gods for characters, or even trainable types of units with the traits:

Tzunki: Tzunki is associated with water and the spawned under his influence may have sea green colored skin and have gills and webbed hands. Can't really see what you do with this one. +% to movement points, maybe? Or if it's possible, lessen the penalty from climate affects?

Sotek: Although the Great serpent Sotek isn't an Old One, he is in fact the only true lizardmen "God" in the conventional sense (a being created by the sub-conscience of those who believe in him) , skinks and saurus are still spawned under his influence. Those who are can be very furious fighters and have red skin, scales or crests.
For me this one seems pretty obvious. +attacks in some way to the character and his unit.

Quetzl: Those who are spawned under the warrior and protector have more bony crests and they are hardier than others.
+Armor or defense seems like a good choice for this one.

Tlazcotl: Those who have yellow crests or scales are blessed by Tlazcotl. Those who are, are just impassive as he is.
I don't know if theres such a way to make characters or units to not rout. But if there was, this'd be it.

Chotec: Those who are blessed by the solar one have an uncommon amount of energy that makes them keep going while other cold-blooded creatures would stop. They also have a fiery orange hue to their bodies.
+% to movement points looks good here!

Haunchi: The jaguar one of the earth and night passes on the ability to pass through the thickest growth with ease.
+Combat bonus in woods or looks a good choice here.

Tepok: Those who are blessed by the winged serpent have purple coloring and high resistance to magic.
I haven't seen whether you guys are going to add magic into the game, if it is even possible. If not, might just leave this one out.

Itzl: Itzl's spawning is recognized by a large bony crest and they produce a musk that calms Cold ones.
Can't see what this mark could do. Heh.

Xhotl: Those ones who are watched over by Xhotl have a magic field protecting them that also strikes all those who harm the marked warrior.
I would just say this one adds defense an/or hitpoints.

Blessed mark of the Old Ones: The rarest of all spawnings it is recognised by white or albino colouring. The are highly respected, for their fate must be important.
Something must be special for this trait. Since its sucha respected trait, + morale would be an obvious choice. This trait, in my opinion, should be the one with the most benefits to it, but should be also very rare.

Bwian
05-06-2007, 19:36
Warhammer Geeks always welcome here!

Jubal_Barca
05-06-2007, 19:45
One idea I may be using for WHTW1 is having magic items as ancillaries.

So eg;

Chaos Warpsword, obtainable by a chaos general with valour 6+, gives him +5 attack strength, or whatever.

This could be a good way to add in magic items as they are an integral part of the tabletop game.

Meneldil
05-06-2007, 21:33
Yeah, that's pretty obvious. I haven't listed any artefact or item cause I have to find my old army books ;)

Jubal_Barca
05-06-2007, 22:09
I don't have M2TW, sadly, so I don't know what stats there are and what ancillaries can modify. :no:

Anyhow, ones I know;
Radiant Gem of Hoeth - HE, could allow the character to have a wizard bodyguard or provide bonuses to wizards in his army. (In WHFB means all spells cast by the user are irresistible force.
Mastodon Armour - OK, gives +5 HP (In WHFB allows the user to regenerate with 1 wound after death)
Banner of the Barrows - VC, Gives +1 valour to general's bodyguard (IN WHFB means unit only needs 3+ to hit)
Morglum's best Basha - O+G, gives +1hp, +1 attack factor, +0.5 kill chance (In WHFB gives +1 I,S,WS)
Grimnir's Axe - A VERY rare item, gives +3 kill chance, +3 attack factor, +2 armour (or probably higher).

Dogman55
05-07-2007, 04:32
I am pretty well versed in Warcraft Lore, specifically Lizardmen. So if any of you Big Modders want info or such, Id be happy to help!

Jargon
05-07-2007, 08:59
I don't have M2TW, sadly, so I don't know what stats there are and what ancillaries can modify. :no:

Anyhow, ones I know;
Radiant Gem of Hoeth - HE, could allow the character to have a wizard bodyguard or provide bonuses to wizards in his army. (In WHFB means all spells cast by the user are irresistible force.
Mastodon Armour - OK, gives +5 HP (In WHFB allows the user to regenerate with 1 wound after death)
Banner of the Barrows - VC, Gives +1 valour to general's bodyguard (IN WHFB means unit only needs 3+ to hit)
Morglum's best Basha - O+G, gives +1hp, +1 attack factor, +0.5 kill chance (In WHFB gives +1 I,S,WS)
Grimnir's Axe - A VERY rare item, gives +3 kill chance, +3 attack factor, +2 armour (or probably higher).
The attributes for General and agent characters are:

Command, Dread, Piety, Loyalty

They pretty much effect what they suggest. Command, Dread and Loyalty will likely be important for the mod, not sure what will happen to piety untill Bwian decides on what effect religion will have.

I had a quick look and found some areas that can be influenced by traits:

Trade income, tax income, the cost to bribe, generals hitpoints, authority, law (public order), build points (siege engines), chivalry, personal security, movement points, ambushing, charm, agent skill, line of sight, chance of having children, influence, popularity (public order), farming output, command when defending, command when assaulting walls, command with cavalry etc.

Most of them are useable by every faction, but some seem like they should re-occur more often for certain groups. Is it possible to increase the likeliness of traits for specific factions?

Skaven could automaticaly get night fighting, increased chance for ambushing and their assassins should have plenty of Agent Skill increases. Dwarf generals would be more likely to have mining income skills and siege engine build point skills. Tomb Kings would have incredible cost to bribe (if not impossible). High Elf would have plenty of law and order skills (rebeling High Elves?). Bretonnian generals would be a likely candidate for cavalry command and chivalry increases. The Empire is highly dependent on influence, farming, charm, finance ec. The Vampire Counts should get lots of Dread skills.

There may be plenty of other areas that could be effected that I havn't found. Does anyone know of an exhaustive list? The various increase to command skills make me wonder. Can you increase command when using archers, gunpowder, infantry etc?

Jargon
05-07-2007, 11:39
Faction Specific Traits

It occured to me that there were certain qualities of each race that traits could help to define. These would be traits that every general of a faction automatically recieves, and would be unique to that race. They should not be restrictive or game imbalancing, and would help to create the flavour for that faction.

Vampire Count- "Lord of the Undead". Increase to dread due to their vampiric nature. Also every general would have night fighting.

Skaven- "Feral Instinct". Night fighting and ambushing come naturally to Skaven (do you agree with this considering their ruthless, undergound background?)

Chaos- "Champion of Chaos". This chaos warrior has been carefully selected by his God, and such an imposing creature would surely automatically start with a high dread.

Tomb King- "Bound to the Tomb King." Increase to loyalty, impossible to bribe. Am I correct in assuming that the undead generals of the Tomb King are pretty much his slaves without any personal thought? Not sure on this history.

Orcs- "Big 'un eat 'Small 'un". Decrease to loyalty, decrease to authority and law. Orcy society is rough and tumble, and this automatic stat change for every orc general should help with creating the precarious animosity that exists between their kind.

The following I think are big maybes, as they could represent generalisations and stereotypes that every general may not have inherited:

Dwarves- would a mining and siege equipment stat increase be excessive, or does it just make sense that every dwarf general naturally knows how to operate mines and machinery?

Bretonnia- Would every Bretonnian general be a "Knight of the Realm", and therefore be chivarlous and have good command of cavalry? Is it possible to have a Bretonnian general who just isnt a good knight, or are these the qualities that they are selected on?

High Elves- Are they widely known for their loyalty and authority? It would make sense as a counterpoint to the orcs, considering how well structured and orderly Elf society is.

I dont know much about Lizardmen, Wood elves and some of the others to offer suggestions. Empire should remain neutral, as they represent the 'average' human faction.

Dogman55
05-07-2007, 20:47
For Lizardmen I think Loyalty for characters would be maxed out, at the very least.After all, all of the lizardmen were created to live and die by the slann, so they wont go renegade on them. Leaders wouldn't be very chivalrous, both because outsiders (who see people's heads on poles) wouldnt think them that nor their own kind, who dont seem to fathom what it is to be chivalrous.

Jargon
05-08-2007, 08:40
For Lizardmen I think Loyalty for characters would be maxed out, at the very least.After all, all of the lizardmen were created to live and die by the slann, so they wont go renegade on them. Leaders wouldn't be very chivalrous, both because outsiders (who see people's heads on poles) wouldnt think them that nor their own kind, who dont seem to fathom what it is to be chivalrous.

Do the Lizardmen have any sort of history of rebellion or internal struggle? I think this should play a large part in how loyalty is used.

For a faction like the Tomb King, if the generals are slaves to their master, then there should be 100% loyalty, as it is literaly impossible for them to think about taking a bribe. Orcs on the otherhand are comprised of greedy warlords who wouldn't think twice about attacking their own side, and should have large loyalty decreases. Factions like the Empire, Vampires, Skaven and Bretonnia are made up of independent free-thinking generals, who i guess represent the 'norm'. They can be bribed, but it will cost the normal MTW2 amount (or does anyone think that Skaven can be classified as somewhere between orc and norm level?)

For Lizardmen and other factions like High Elves, Dwarves, Dark Elves etc. would it be unimaginable for any of their generals to turn on their leaders? Would it be impossible, or just more difficult than normal?

On another subject, does anyone else think that the word 'chivalry' doesnt makes much sense as a Warhammer character attribute? It only fits a couple of factions, and seems terribly wrong for most others. Can anyone summarise the benefits of chivarly, and if there is a better word to describe it? Should it be changed to 'Lawfullness' or something similiar to counterpose 'Dread' for the evil factions?

DrZoidberg
05-08-2007, 10:30
For a faction like the Tomb King, if the generals are slaves to their master, then there should be 100% loyalty, as it is literaly impossible for them to think about taking a bribe.

It's only the soldiers. "The kings and princes awoke from their long sleep of death with their memories and faculites intact due to the incantations of preservations performed to preserve their bodies".

There was plenty of treachery and politics before they got entombed so they should play out like any other faction.

Jargon
05-08-2007, 10:54
Okay thanks Dr Zoiberg, I wasn't sure what the Tomb King history was like, I thought there was a single ruler who raised everything. They would probably be a normal loyalty civ if they has plenty of treachery in their past.

Are the Tomb King's individual generals something like Liche Lord's or Undead Necromancers? That would be a fun job finding interesting names and protraits for them.

DrZoidberg
05-08-2007, 12:09
Okay thanks Dr Zoiberg, I wasn't sure what the Tomb King history was like, I thought there was a single ruler who raised everything. They would probably be a normal loyalty civ if they has plenty of treachery in their past.

Are the Tomb King's individual generals something like Liche Lord's or Undead Necromancers? That would be a fun job finding interesting names and protraits for them.

According to the story Khemri was historically split into many rivalring kingdoms constant wars with each other. After Khemri died and Nagash awoke them all these kings who had ruled varying sizes of land during their life time tried to reclaim their land again. It didn't work since every king of every kingdom that had ever existed tried to reclaim it at the same time. The only reason Settra, (the first king of Khemri) was given absolute power is because they couldn't agree on any other leader. His leadership is only based on compromise and has nothing to do with loyalty. On top of this there are more undead kings and princes that are actually needed to run Khemri so Settra talked most of them to go back to their tombs and wait for them to be summoned when needed.

It's called Liche priests, (not lords or necromancers) and they represent the priesthood, and function much like the catholic church did in ancient Europe. Like a power behind the throne. If I understand correctly the liche priests never died, so they aren't technically undead but are kept perpetually one step away from the grave through powerful magic. They have agility 1, so these guys bodies are a complete mess.

The Tomb Kings can't themselves control their armies, that has to be done by the Liche Priests, and they in turn obey the king out of loyalty.

I'd say the Tomb Kings can be played just like any MTW2 faction in this respect. Both Liche Priests and the Tomb Kings can become rebel and turn on Settra. At least according to the source book.

Jargon
05-08-2007, 12:55
That creates an interesting situation in managing Tomb King generals.

When you described them as being priests, I assumed they could fufil the same role in M2TW, but they also control the armies and would therefore could be general characters. It would be easy to create this difference between royalty and priest for the starting characters because they will be manually added, some could be royal blood while others the near-dead priests to represent the mix in Warhammer Lore, but how would you create such a division when the computer randomly spawns them later on? Is there a way to link the portrait, name, stats and traits of a character into a group when it spawns, or are all four selected randomly without any connection possible?

It's the same problem with Black orcs and normal orc generals. Black orcs are known for their strength and orderly cool demeanour, but there would need to be a way to link this with the protrait and name so that you dont have a Black orc general spawn with the negative authority and loyalty of a normal orc. There could be lots of potential for this, witch queens/beastmasters for the Dark Elves, different types of clans for Skaven etc.

I realise these arn't major issues, just nit picky points to help make a more in-depth game if there are reasonable answers readily available.

Casuir
05-08-2007, 13:52
Dont think thats possible

DrZoidberg
05-08-2007, 15:57
I wouldn't like to think of liche priests as catholic priests because they have totaly different roles. Liche priests are not only religious leaders but also seen as their scientists. They're the ones ultimatly responsible for their technology and military strength. Their religious responsibility is only a small part of what they do. Above all, they don't seem to be in the bussiness of converting anybody. It's not like any of their flock has a choice. :egypt:

I'd rather have this represented through buildings and retinues than have them as priests walking around.

Dogman55
05-08-2007, 23:17
Jargon: Do the Lizardmen have any sort of history of rebellion or internal struggle? I think this should play a large part in how loyalty is used.

No, they do not. At the beginning of the world, the slann (Toad like creatures, five generations, with First generation being oldest) were spawned by the old ones. The Saurus (Soldiers), Skinks (Managters of daily life, skirmishers), and Kroxigor (Beasts of Burden, living weapons) were all spawned/created to obey the will of the old ones, and in turn the slann. The only history of any 'rebelling' if it can be called that, is when the Lizardmen's people were split between Lustria (The main continent) and the Southlands. The lizardmen of the southlands became primal and wild because the slann were not their to guide them.

So no, I wouldn't call degenerating into annimals rebelling. Lizardmen ftw!:laugh4:

Raz
05-11-2007, 05:52
This has probably already been brought up previously but, a trait or ancillary that has the effect of BattleSurgery, for Vampire Counts Generals.
Or something similar. It could be either a trait or ancillary depending on whether the General is more of a necromancer or has a necromancer as an ancillary. Either way it'd be a great asset. :yes:

Jargon
05-11-2007, 06:38
Nice idea Raz, it would make sense that Vampires can resurrect a portion of their army after battle. Maybe call the trait "The Dark Arts" or simply "Necromancy". I like the idea of having it as both a Necromancer ancillary and a trait. This would especially be useful for Vampire Counts, as the majority of their troops will be rubbish, altough if they have a 20 stack army of Blood Dragons, it would be a little overpowering for them to have too many come back.

As for the discussion of magic items, iv'e read somewhere that ancillaries can be transferred between generals, but I havn't found anything similiar for traits. Does anyone know if it is possible to swap traits, or if it can be modded? If not, then I guess all magic items should be made as ancillaries, so they can be swapped between characters.

Meneldil
05-11-2007, 07:05
Special items will be made as anciliaries I think. That's how RTW handled them, and that's aswell the easiest way to make them.

monkian
05-22-2007, 12:25
Ancillary for Empire Assassins :skull:

Magnin Throwing Knife - + 2/3 to Assassination Attempts.

(Got to love Beasts in Velvet)

:2thumbsup:

Bongfu
05-23-2007, 03:31
Would be nice if we could have the Empire family members gain certain positions, like Rieksmarshal and such.

Jargon
05-23-2007, 04:30
Would be nice if we could have the Empire family members gain certain positions, like Rieksmarshal and such.

Check out the Anno Domini mod in Mods in Development, I think what they are doing would fit perfectly. This is one of the options the modhas or plans on having:

Titles

There will be kingdom titles, which could be acquired just by the faction leader, and regional titles (count, duke, sheik, etc) which will be given to generals once they'll garrison a settlement for some minimum turns. They will be transmitted to the son (maybe giving the son a trait... title_heir if the father has the ancillary title, removing the trait if the father would not have the ancillary title anymore). Have to test how could the AI behave, but I think I will sort it out.

So at the start of the game you could have a general named Boris Todbringer garrisoned in Middenheim with the title Elector Count of Middenland. When he dies, you move a new general to Middenheim, and after 4-5 turns he recieves the title.

Jargon
05-23-2007, 05:41
I finally got my Chaos Army Book back from a friend, and had a try at converting some of the information into traits. I think chaos generals should start as Exalted Champions, so they can first try to become a Lord of Chaos, and then move into Daemonhood through great victories and high levels of command.

General Character Traits:

Master of the Dark Tongue: (This lord has a mastery of the ritual language of chaos and dark sorcery. +1 Dread, +2 Authority)

Instability (This Chaos Lord is losing touch with the material world. -2 authority/loyalty, - tax/trade income)

Despoiler (This chaos general has not forgotten his days as a tribal horse rider. +1 command with cavalry)

Master of Mortals (This general has learnt to control his human subjects. Increased law and order)

Radiance of Dark Power (An aura of daemonic power emanates from this character. +1 dread, causes fear)

Spawn of Chaos (The Dark God’s gifts are starting to go out of control on this character. Increased campaign map movement points, +1 general hit points, -2 authority/loyalty, - tax/trade income)

Soul Hunger (His constant need for fresh souls effects his judgment. -1 loyalty, - public order)

Cloud of flies (A thick haze of flies hovering around this character makes it difficult for anyone to come near. Increased personal security, Decreased law and order)

Mark of Nurgle: (The fetid touch of the Lord of Decay has warped this characters skin and armour. +1 general Hitpoint, +1 Dread. Causes fear.)

Mark of Khorne (The Blood God smiles upon this frenzied warrior. +1 command when attacking, +1 command when assaulting, Decrease to tax/trade income)

Mark of Tzeentch (No idea how sorcery will be performed)

Mark of Slaanesh (Minions of the perverted Dark Prince God know no fear. Increase any stat that prevents troops from running in combat)

Lord of Chaos: (This general has been rewarded for his loyal service to the Chaos Gods. +1 command, +1 Dread, +1 Authority. Minimum command: 4, must have won a good victory)

Exalted Daemon: (This general has been rewarded by the Dark Gods with Daemonhood, the ultimate prize for every Chaos Lord. +2 Dread, +2 Authority, +1 Command when attacking. Cause fear. Minimum command: 6, Lord of Chaos, must win great victory)

Daemon Prince: (This terrifying Daemon has earned the respect of the Gods, who have made him an Unholy Prince. He truly is an awesome power to be feared. +4 Dread, +2 Authority +2 Command when attacking. Cause fear. Minimum command: 8, Exalted Daemon, historic victory)

Casuir
05-23-2007, 06:28
Causing fear cant be done with traits

Jargon
05-23-2007, 07:01
Thanks Casuir. I was thinking about the 'fear' that camels cause to horses. Can this system be used on infantry and archers as well? Since fear and terror are an important part of the Warhammer combat system, someone may want to look into ways of including this.

Can morale be effected by traits, or is it only influenced by a unit's experience? If the Mark of Slaneesh gives immunity to psychology, can there be a way to increase the morale of that unit? Or is there no connection possible between the two, and you have to increase the characters command instead?

Casuir
05-23-2007, 10:11
Infantry could cause fear in rtw, dont see why it would have been dropped. Its not something that can be added by a trait though, the effects traits can have are hardcoded and theres not many of them, heres the list ripped from the exe:
Combat_V_Religion_
Combat_V_Faction_
BattleSurgery
TrainingAnimalUnits
HitPoints
BodyguardValour
Looting
Law
Unrest
Squalor
ArtilleryCommand
GunpowderCommand
InfantryCommand
CavalryCommand
Fertility
TaxCollection
Mining
Farming
FootInTheDoor
LocalPopularity
Trading
Construction
TrainingAgents
TrainingUnits
LineOfSight
Electability
BribeResistance
Bribery
PublicSecurity
PersonalSecurity
NightBattle
SiegeEngineering
NavalCommand
Ambush
SiegeDefence
SiegeAttack
Defence
MovementPoints
TroopMorale
Loyalty
Subterfuge
Management
BodyguardSize
Generosity
Boldness
Disposition
Violence
Purity
Eligibility
Sabotage
Assassination
Authority
HeresyImmunity
Unorthodoxy
Piety
Finance
Charm
Influence
Command

Jargon
05-23-2007, 10:47
Thank you for the list, there are some interesting traits in there.

Anyone know what Boldness, Combat_V_Religion_, Combat_V_Faction_, FootInTheDoor, Management, Generosity, Boldness, Disposition, Violence, Purity and Eligibility do?

If Combat_V_Faction_ does what I imagine it sounds like, then it could be very useful. It could be used for factions that naturally hate each other, like Dwarves and Goblins, High Elves and Dark Elves, Chaos and Empire. Or any general in the game could get the trait Dwarfslayer, Orcslayer, Elfslayer etc. which gives them bonuses against those factions. They could be general traits that any faction general could pick up (excluding bonuses against their own faction, naturally).

Also, the Mark of Nurgle and Swarm of Flies traits should increase 'Squalor'. The Mark of Slaneesh should give a hefty increase to 'TroopMorale' to represent the immune to pyschology rule.

Dogman55
05-24-2007, 01:29

Anyone know what Boldness, Combat_V_Religion_, Combat_V_Faction_, FootInTheDoor, Management, Generosity, Boldness, Disposition, Violence, Purity and Eligibility do?

Well, we know that Violence, purity, and Eligibility applied for papal canidates/priests that in some way affected papal stats and such. I would imagine Boldness has something to do with AI intelligence in battle, or it could attribute traits that give "+ when attacking" etc. Management was in RTW, probably the same in M2TW. Generosity was -tax income, if I remember correctly. That leaves combat faction/religon. Those are probably for +'s vs. a specific faction.

Jargon
05-24-2007, 07:59
Cool, if combat faction/religon is a bonus vs. a specific faction, then it will open up for some very Warhammer esque traits like Man Slayer (bonus vs Empire), or renamed 'Uhman Slayah for Orcs, Mortal Slayer for Chaos, Overdweller Slayer for Skaven etc. I think that would be a very cool type of random trait that any general can pick up, and makes sense for the game world.

The ultimate would be to tie the gaining of that trait with the number of successful battles the character has had against that particular faction, but this is more than likely a step too far and impossible. Recieving it randomly should suffice.

Jargon
05-24-2007, 08:11
Wait a tick. If you slaughter a large number of prisoners at the end of a battle, you have the chance of getting a bloodthirsty trait that increases you dread, right?

Can this be subverted to identify which type of faction you were fighting? So you slaughter a large number of Skaven at the end of battle, and have a chance of getting Rat Slayer trait?

Meneldil
05-24-2007, 09:17
The bonus vs faction is given after victorious battles against this faction in vanilla M2TW, don't see why it would not be possible in WTW ;)

As an addendum, I'm currently making some traits for WTW (with Bwian's blessing), and I could use some help, especially with the descriptions. My english is decent, but I don't feel like writting cool descriptions for each new trait, not that I don't want to, but rather cause I can't.
I need someone who master english, who could write nice descriptions based on a few infos. PM me if you're interested ;)

grailknight
05-27-2007, 06:48

If Combat_V_Faction_ does what I imagine it sounds like, then it could be very useful. It could be used for factions that naturally hate each other, like Dwarves and Goblins, High Elves and Dark Elves, Chaos and Empire. Or any general in the game could get the trait Dwarfslayer, Orcslayer, Elfslayer etc. which gives them bonuses against those factions. They could be general traits that any faction general could pick up (excluding bonuses against their own faction, naturally).

ive had generals in mtw2 have +1 up to +3(i think) command for fighting against muslims.
in rtw i had like a roman general get like +1 command when fighting against carthage. i dont know if ive seen something like that in mtw2, i dont remember. im guessing boldness are the traits that affect troop moral(like +1 moral -1, etc.).

Jargon
05-27-2007, 07:10
The Deus Lo Vult mod has swords for Generals, one of which is shown here:

https://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=felcidandtizme50e879sq6.jpg

The description says that Tizona gives a +2 bonus to attack. Does anyone know what this means? I looked through the list of editable traits Casuir posted and cant see anything that changes a units attack rating, most combat stats seem to be for command.

Casuir
05-27-2007, 10:06
Its command when attacking, and its not in the list I pulled, does it work correctly ingame?

Meneldil
05-27-2007, 10:24
Well, there's the Attack bonus, which is translated as +command when attacking.

I'm pretty sure it works in game, as it worked perfectly in RTW.

Goncalou
02-23-2008, 09:05
ive had generals in mtw2 have +1 up to +3(i think) command for fighting against muslims.
in rtw i had like a roman general get like +1 command when fighting against carthage. i dont know if ive seen something like that in mtw2, i dont remember. im guessing boldness are the traits that affect troop moral(like +1 moral -1, etc.).
yeah that in mtw2 when i play as moors instead of spain my guys always get stuff like hat/ fear spanish, english, portugese, and french.:couch:

Revan-Shan
02-24-2008, 15:26
Read other posts and threads before starting new ones, this is already been discussed in the Warhammer Campaign.

Post here your ideas and I'll modify the existing list of each faction's traits, titles, retinues and relics:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=95099&page=7

Meneldil
02-24-2008, 17:51
I suggest you get a clue and notice this very topic has been opened for months, and I therefore gently advise you to "read other posts and threads before starting new ones".

Eufarius
02-24-2008, 19:40
No fighting please. Revan is correct yet there is no need to get annoyed or another synonym of it, and Revan also look around.:2thumbsup:

fluffydragon
02-29-2008, 15:29
i was wondering wether it was possible to give titles without having to move the generals themselves around.....

messenger-my lord, your father the elector count of middenheim has been killed fighting orcs in black fire pass!

new elector- right in that case i will leave my army in the middle of this campaign against the vampire menace to return to the city to claim my title!!

it just doesn't ring true- the title passes on to an heir regardless of there location. Of course you could have two titles one 'elector of middenheim' and then 'crowned elector...' and the city that gives the title is more likely to rebel until the holder returns to the city. It was intensly annoying in Deus lo Vult to have to return the general to the city to get a title when he was on the other side of the map.

just a thought

Silly Knicket
03-01-2008, 04:23
This is doable, but it's a lot of scripting for a somewhat pointless (don't get me wrong, it's a nice thing) feature, when you always could move the successor into the town and get elected a few turns later, when done fighting vampires. It should be possible to use another system than the one used in Blood, Broads and Bastards, I only wonder if someone is willing to do the coding... a lot of typing involved :)

fluffydragon
03-02-2008, 02:16
is it not possible to bring back the medieval 1 style drop and drag titles?

Silly Knicket
03-08-2008, 13:24
That is doable and done already. (ancillaries can be movable, character traits can't)

Caradrayan
04-11-2008, 20:47
I have the high elf book, so here's my suggestions for them

Champion of the Everqueen. This trait is possessed by Tyrion at the start of the game, of course. It would provide large command and morale boosts.

Phoenix king: Large morale and Law increases, obviously, Finnubar starts with this.

Shadow King: If you include Alith Anar, he should start with this, it could be the third trait on a progression: Shadow Warrior-> Shadow Master->Shadow King. They would give increasing bonuses to sight radius and ambushing. would be a regional trait for naggarythe.

Political apointment: this would be a negative trait, common among nameless High elf generals. it would give negatives to command and morale.

Doomed People: Decreased chance of having children. In the fluff, this is a problem for high elves.

Wary of treachery: increased personal security this would be common in high elf society, dark elves are famous for assassins.

Memory of glory: this alludes to the declining greatness of the high elf empire. It would add to chivalry

secret pleasures: this is an allusion to the cult of slaanesh, which has adherants in Asur nobility, it would add to squalor and subtract from law. Maybe add to dread

lover of beauty: this would give negs to command, maybe bonuses to happiness

high elf admirals should get easy advancement: maybe a something like "veteran of druchi wars" to represent their mastery of sea combat. Dark elf admirals should also get something similar. The result should be an advantage against brettonian, chaos, and khemri fleets from the old world.

Well traveled: increased trade, maybe have advancing ranks, open minded-> well traveled-> cosmopolitan. if so, Finnubar would have the max rank

Armor and other magic items are a a no-brainer for ancillaries.

armor of protection: +3 hp

shadow armor: +1 command when ambushing

armor of caledor: +2 hp

dragonscale shield: +1 hp

gold crown of atrazar: +1 hp

battle banner: +1 command

lion standard: +1 moral

skiensilver: +5% to movement speed.

Dunno how common you want magic items to be, but they should be a bit more common than average on high elves to represent their "magicalness" this references the cheaper cost to high elves in the army book.

living acillaries:

great eagle: massive bonus to sight radius.

loremaster: bonus to trade, health, and command

apprentice mage: bonus to farming. This alludes to the idea that alot of high elf agriculture is done with the aid of magic, and young mages train by helping farmers.

Political advisor: this would add to influence

Worempie
04-18-2008, 17:16
well... i have the warhammer quest book here so here they come:

Boots of Quargskin
These boots are made of a strange, soft leather covered with multicoloured swirls and stripes

effect: better movement

Cloak of stealth
this cloak is made of an odd material that is slippery to the touch

effect: +1 to agent skill

Book of Knowledge
this book has a cracked and aged leather cover, wiht a rusted metal spine and lock. Upon opening, the pages rustle with a life of their own

effect: Management +1 dont know a nice bonus so i choose management :)

Moonstone
This crystal-like stone is mounted in a black iron brooch and radiates a pale light like that of the many stars in the sky

effect: +1 to night fight

Wand of Diabolum
This wand is pure white, shot through with streaks of diabolum, a bright red substance capable of harnessing magical energy

effect: +1 Authority (for every race except chaos) +1 command when fighting against chaos

Stupidity
Not the most intellegent person on this world

effect: -1 law -1 infleunce

thats it for now. if anyone has a suggestion please say

Caradrayan
04-21-2008, 17:25
It has occurred to me that chivalry/dread has been mentioned, as well as management, influence, and command. I think these sho-uld be the stats that are represented on character portraits in the mod. The other possibilities are piety and loyalty, but I don't think they should play much role in Warhammer. Only chaos is known for serious "evangelism." No other faction tries to convert individuals to their belief system. Likewise, for loyalty, It seems distinctly unlikely that defection would be an issue on the vast majority of fronts. Only humans to chaos has any basis in fluff, and civil strife is very rare in the warhammer world compared to the real one. So I would scrap the loyalty stat.

Now for some Dwarf suggestion
traits:

Businessman- bonus to trade

Great Miner- bonus to mining

alcohol line-social drinker/gets merry/lover of spirits-+1moral/+1moral and command/+2 moral and command. This alludes to dwarves famed drinking prowess, they only get bonuses.

Treasure hunter-+to movement speed

siegemaster-+command when attacking forts

Iron resolve- +command when defending forts

slayer's oath-negs to moral bonus to command, the lord of Karak Kadrin should start with this

ancilliaries

runic banner-+1 command

runic armor-+2 hp

gyrocopter pilot- LOS bonus

trollslayer-+1 command when attacking

priestess of vallaya- increased casualty recovery rate.

Goncalou
04-22-2008, 02:31
I have some good ideas for the DE retinue things, in the following list, from armies book:

Blade of ruin = more attack/ no armour save
This magical sword can cleave through armour as if it were air.
Hydra Blade = More attack
The Hydra-Blade strikes repeatedly like its multi headed name sake
Crimson Death = more attack (gives more strength in tabletop)
This huge halberd was carried into battle by Dark Lord Khalak of Ghrond
Executioners Axe = much more attack
The Executioner's Axe is a hugge black bladed weapon bound with spells of dismemberent. A single blow can cut an opponent in half.
Venom sword = instant kill(if possible)/ higher attack
The Venom Sword is forged from the poison of a thousand malicous serpents. When it strikes mystical poisons flow through the viens of its victim.
Lifetaker = more command with ranged units in army
Lifetaker is a repeater crossbow fashioned from the blackest steel, with bolts tipped with the venom of a black dragon.
Web of Shadows = more attack/ decreased enemy morale
Woven from the hair of the Witch Elves and studded with ensocrcelled harpy fangs, a victim caught in the web of shadows will be ripped to shreds.
Hearstseeker = Assassin only more agents skills
Heartseeker has the uncanny ability to find the heart of a living thing. Dark Elves delight in its ability to destroy the lifeforce of their victims.
Chillblade = decreased enemy morale
The blade of this sword holds a terrible spell of coldeness which seeps into the Dark Elf's victim, freezing their soul and tempoerarily freezing them.
Dark Sword = more attack, damages morale
Etched upon this blade is an ancient curse in the Drak Tongue. Upon striking a foe the curse is unleashed.
Armour of Living Death = more hitpoints
It is claimed that anyone wearing this armour cannot die, that they are sustained by it's magical energy. Unfortunately they cannot remove the armour and are slowly driven insane.
Armour of eternal servitude = more hitpoints
Oaths of loyalty and dedication to Khaine were sworn at the time of this armour's forging, and the wearer is granted extended life to serve his god.
Shield of Ghrond = more hitpoints
Shaped into the leering face of an Ice Daemon, the shield Ghrong is imbued with the power of the north wind and robs attacks of their force.
Armour of Darkness = lots and lots of hitpoints
Forged from dark meteoric steel, this suit is almost impossible to pierce.
Blood Armour = improving armour with every battle survived if possible
When annointed with the blood of an enemy, this armour becomes more durable.
Black Amulet = more hitpoints
Cast from the heartstone of a mountain tainted with Dark Sorcery, The Black Amulet is a lustrous polished stone of midnight hue, engraved with a single glowing rune.
Deathmask = causes fear in enemy regiments
Made from enchanted gold from the Blackspine mountains the Death Mask depicts Khaela Mensha Khaine in his aspect as the Deathbriger, the merciless slayer.
Crown of Black Iron = More hitpoints
Made by Furion of Clar Karond the Crown of Black Iron captures dark magic and oozes a sinister daemonic shadow which protects the wearer.
Seal of ghrond = better something (adds dispel dice)
This iron seal carries the rune of Khaine depicting him as the Iron Panther, the stalker of the void.
Ring of Hotek = less accuracy to ranged units if possible.
Hotek, renegade priest of Vaul, mad this ring to protect himself from the magical forces used in the forging of his artifacts.
Rubric of Dark Dimensions = causes fear
By opening this the bearer creates a gate into a dimension of pure evil.
Ring of Darkness = more defense
From the opal set into this ring emerges a billowing black smoke that engulfs it's bearer.
Soulstone = dont know (immune to first miscast)
This gem holds the tortured soul of a sacrificed wizard. If a Sorceress is in danger of losing control of her magic she can feed the soul to the Daemons to save herself.
Cyrstal of Midnight = dont know (makes wizard lose spell)
Inside this black glowing cyrstal is a malignant spirit that can be unleshed to seek out an enmey magic user and steal his thoughts.
Black Staff = dont know (no maximum power dice)
A Black Staff is the symbol of one of the six High Mistresses of the Convents of Sorceress.
Darkstar cloak = dont know (+1 power dice)
Woven into this cloak is the essence of a star stolen from Nagarythe.
Tome of Furion = more tax income (grants bearer +1 spell)
Furion of Clar Karond inscribed onto sheets of flayed orcskin to teach the Path of Darkness to the uninitiated.
Banner of Nagarythe = much higher morale to all friendly units
The Banner of Nagarythe, the standard of northern Ultuan that now lies beneath the ocean, is the personal banner of the Witch King,proclaiming his reign over the Elven kingdoms.
Hydra Banner = more attack for unit
Imbued with magic of the Hydra Queen, this banner quickens the reflexes so that tose nearby, strike with her own speed and savagery.
Dread Banner = causes fear/ decreases morale
Such is the supernatural fear instilled by the visage of the Bloody Handed God upon this standard that few dare even to look at it.
Banner of Murder = causes fear/ more movement points
This banner is stteped in blood of sacrificial victims, its murderous aura instilling a thirts for death and carnage in those carrying it aloft.
Standard of Slaughter = increased morale of friendly units
Anointed with the bolld of an Ulthuan Elf, this banner imbues the unit with bitter dtermination.
Manbane = assassin only more agents skills
Manbane is one of the most lethal venoms ever devised, causing the tiniest wound to bleed openly.
Black Lotus = assassin only more agent's skills
Black Lotus has a terrifying effect on living fless, driving victims into delusions and insanity.
Dark Venom = assassin only more agents skills
Extracted from the poisonous reptiles of the bleak land of Naggoroth, Dark Venom Is a deadly toxin. a weapon coated with Dark Venom will cause a mortal wound if it even scrathes the skin.
Sea Dragon Cloak = More hit points
The Corsairs and their officers wear a cloak made of the skin of mighty sea dragons along with their other armour.
Rune of Khaine = more attack
The Hag Quenns burn the Rune of Khaine upon the brow of the most zealous warriors.
Tracing a complex pattern in the air, the Dark Elf entrances their victim, leaving him vulnerable and open to attack.
Witch Brew = more command when attacking
Witch Brew is a noxious liquid, distilled from blood, that the Witch Elves drink before battle. It drives them into an ectasy of destruction, that they pay no heed to the enemies' numbers and will fight on against impossible odds.

here's a trait for you guys too.

Hand of Khaine = more attack
Tracing a complex pattern in the air, the Dark Elf entrances their victim, leaving him vulnerable and open to attack.

Now for my own ideas

Retinue
Cold One Knight = more command with Cavalry, more dread
This Knight has dedicated his life to serving the Witch King.
Beast Master = More something
This man has the ability to control beasts, such as Manticores and Dragons.
Witch Elf = More piety
This frenzied elf is a bride of Khaine
Assassin = More personal Security
This chosen of khaine is as silent as night, but as deadly as a thousand man army.
Black Guard = More personal security
This elf is a servant and guard of Malekith the Witch King.
Shade = More command when ambushing
This elf was raised in the wild.
Black Dragon = more movement, more dread, more personal security
This dragon's corrosive breath will destroy even the toughest armor.
Dark Steed = more movement
This horse is well disiplined and as black as night.
Cold One= more movement, more dread, more personal security
This deadly beast is coated with poisonous slime.
Sword of Khaine, more command, more authority
this sword is cursed, but has extreme power.

Traits

Possessed = less loyalty, more command, more attack (after 'Sorcerer')
This Dark Elf was possessed by a demon while practicing the Dark Arts.
Chosen of Khaine = More attack, more coomand, more authority
This elf was selected by Khaine to be one of his champions.
Sorcerer = less loyalty, more command, more attack
Against Malekith's will this male elf still practices sorcery.
Worships Slaanesh = plus morale, less loyalty
This Dark Elf is a member of the Cult of Slaanesh.
Noble = more command, more loyalty
This Dark Elf is of Noble birth
Highborn = more command, more authority , more loyalty
This elf was born into a high ranking family, with authority close to Malekith the Witch King's.
Shade = more command when ambushing
This elf was raised by shades in the mountains.
Born in Nagarythe = way more command, more loyalty, more authority
This elf was born in the sunken city of Nagarythe, the Dark Elves' old home.
Asur Slayer = more command against High Elves
This Dark Elf has killed countless High Elves, and is admired for it.
Frenzied = More Attack
This Dark Elf drinks Witch Brew before battle, driving him into a frenzied battle rage.

Raz
04-24-2008, 09:02
A quick scan through told me that Chaos Armour hasn't been mentioned, should come standard with all chaos generals... And since it can't be removed it should add to the Personal Security of the general. Try stabbing someone whose wearing inch thick steel with a knife and I doubt they'd wake up if they were sleeping. :laugh4:

Caradrayan
05-01-2008, 23:46
Concerning Chaos Armor: personal security isn't a bad idea, I would suggest it add to dread. Chaos characters should certainly be intimidating, so chaos armor could be one way to show that.

Since I just got my Vampire Counts book, I'll suggest some VC traits and ancillaries.

night fighter: +1 command at night (this should be standard)

Supernatural Horror: +2 dread

Lore of the Dead: increased casualty recovery.

disciple of Abborash: +1 chivalry

cares for the living: +1 chivalry

True Von Carstein: +to management

scourge of the living: +2 dread

Uncontrollable Thirst: +2 command when attacking -2 command when defending. +1 dread

Decendant of Strigos: +1 dread, -2 management

Hulking monstrocity: +2 wounds

Skavenslayer: +command vrs skaven

ancillaries:

necromancer: +to casualty recovery.

creatures of the night: +2 sight radius

the Black Coach: +1 dread

twisted bodyguard: +1 hp and +2 personal security

Competent butler: +1 management

Standard Bearer: +1 command

Walach's Bloody Hauberk: +2HP

The Flayed Hauberk: +1HP

The Staff of Damnation: +1 command

The book of Arkan: +5% movment

Screaming Banner: +1 dread

Standard of Hellish Vigor: +10% movement

a note on Dread vrs chivalry: I see dread being far more common among the vamps, but I think there should be a smattering of chivalry traits. It should be possible for a vamp that gets lucky and cultivates chivalry (releasing prisoners and not sacking settlements) to achieve a positive chivalry.

Dead Guy
05-05-2008, 12:02
VC could make for a very interesting family tree if you involved all the blood lines, but perhaps too complex and difficult to set up with the constraints of the game. I don't know, i don't mod, but maybe it's too much work on the detail level of a single faction. If I've got things right, VC will be represented mostly by von Carstein which makes it hard for them to be descendants of Strigos for example.
I think blood dragons in particular could be considered somewhat chivalrous as far as vampires go, and your other suggestions are also good, but perhaps not fitting if the focus is on the von Carsteins.

Cheers!
:skull:

Kuningaz
05-06-2008, 20:31
Good to see there's some DE stuff here. I have only one thing to add: Probably the black guard should also increase loyalty as they watch that general carefully...

Raz
05-07-2008, 10:02
Black Guard should only be for faction leaders, they don't dish them out willy-nilly. On the table-top, I believe you can only have one per army unless you have the witch-king as your army's general. Right? :thinking:
And unless your faction-leader is disloyal to his own throne that he sits upon, it should only increase personal security.

Also, I'd like to say that I personally believe there are far too many ancillaries and items for each faction, maybe you should only include the main ones.