PDA

View Full Version : Conquer the land and reap the rewards

Whitey
02-23-2002, 18:10
If the French take England will they get the Long-bow, if the French loose all French territories will they loose the ability to build their elite unit and the other country gain it?

after all the English didn't train longbowmen in France and the Islamic Iberian states didn't raise their nomadic warriors in Madrid...

Do you think elite units will be linked to territory or country, my bet is on country but my hope is on territory...

------------------
"Situation excellente. J'attaque!"

Hirosito
02-23-2002, 19:24
i think i read that your hope is right. as in you'll have 'mother' province where you'll produce those units. similar i guess to how shinano produced the best cav

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

TosaInu
02-23-2002, 20:34
Konnichiwa,

It seems unrealistic to me that a French can use a longbow right away once he conquered England. Firing with those bows require years of training.

------------------
Ja mata
Toda MizuTosaInu
Daimyo Takiyama Shi

http://www.takiyama.cjb.net

ShadesWolf
02-23-2002, 21:30
I would imagine that unique units would be only be able to be built in their provence of origin.

i.e. You can only build Highland warriors in the highlands of Scotland.....

Sir Kuma of The Org
02-23-2002, 23:43
I'm speculating that Hirosito and Shadeswolf are on the right track...

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good, hope they sound good also...

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-24-2002, 01:05
Tosa,

The idea would be that when you conquer a certain province you could build certain buildings and then conscript locals who know how to use the weapon.

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"
http://www.gifs.net/animate/aniyin.gif

james
02-24-2002, 01:41
i agree with tosainu

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-24-2002, 02:42
Obviously it would be impossible for the French to conquer England and then give their own men longbows. But they would conscript local Englishmen who may not want to fight for the French but would have to.

Like Red Army of USSR. Peasants didnt want to fight in it but machine-guns aimed at them from behind by KGB agents sorta persuaded them.

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar

Leet Eriksson
02-24-2002, 05:44
was wondering how would islamic crusaders look like hehehehe...

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-24-2002, 06:44
indeed fai m8! Or would love to see a Teutonic Knight on a camel http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar

Leet Eriksson
02-24-2002, 16:43
LOL i dunno but if units can change with different relegion the game would simply be BIIIG

Vanya
02-25-2002, 22:54
GAH! Mongols can take Satsuma and STILL not be able to build No-Dachis!

That is the case NOW! So too will it be the case with MTW.

If you are not ENGLISH, you will not be able to build the longbow. Simple. So no frenchies running around with longbows, pal!

http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/eek.gif

Leet Eriksson
02-26-2002, 00:10
Territory related units are somewhat rediculous it better to have faction related units BECUASE territory related units are only trained in the territory they are related with and will take more time to reach their destination(depending on how far it is)and of course it would just make the game look absurd(ie germans with camels or saracens with knights pffftt http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif)

Jaguara
02-26-2002, 04:08
Quote Originally posted by faisal:
Territory related units are somewhat rediculous it better to have faction related units BECUASE territory related units are only trained in the territory they are related with and will take more time to reach their destination(depending on how far it is)and of course it would just make the game look absurd(ie germans with camels or saracens with knights pffftt http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif)[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of units being tied to a territory. As for the longer time to reach their destination...well that is simulating lines of supply. The further you get from your home province, the longer it takes for reinforcements and such. It gives you a very simple logistical model.

But really, how could you explain training camel warriors in a conquered german province? There are no camels there. How can you train longbowmen units in Turkey? The longbowmen all came from parts of England where they were trained from a young age.

As for making units also dependant upon the faction, that is fine with me...but I am also fine with it the other way around too.

Papewaio
02-26-2002, 11:45
It will be both like Shogun.

Certain areas will create special units.

Certain factions will get a cost reduction for special units.

Thats my 2 florins worth.

------------------
Never start a land war in Asia
Never bet with a Sicilian when death is on the line
Never expect anything more then sarcasm from an Australian

Rath
02-26-2002, 12:43
I hope elite units are nation based, not territory, but say Elite units can only be trained within a certain radius of the Nations starting territory, or if a province has been conquered for long enough, say 5 years, they can begin training the elites there too assuming the have necessary facilities.

Leet Eriksson
02-26-2002, 13:01
good point rath

Whitey
02-26-2002, 13:15
yes Rath, you are right - do both, only England can build Longbows but only in England - I don't want to train longbowmen in Germany...

But I still think that its not so stupid to have it linked to territory only - hell - its more realistic than the other one!

And why wouldn't you take France then train French Knights? or England and raise Longbowmen - you'd be an Idiot not to!!!

but for game purposes - Raths suggestion seems right, link it to certain territory and also to certain countries - or even make it religion-based?

Leet Eriksson
02-27-2002, 19:48
Quote Originally posted by Jaguara:

I like the idea of units being tied to a territory. As for the longer time to reach their destination...well that is simulating lines of supply. The further you get from your home province, the longer it takes for reinforcements and such. It gives you a very simple logistical model.

But really, how could you explain training camel warriors in a conquered german province? There are no camels there. How can you train longbowmen units in Turkey? The longbowmen all came from parts of England where they were trained from a young age.

As for making units also dependant upon the faction, that is fine with me...but I am also fine with it the other way around too.[/QUOTE]

ahh yes well its possible to train longbowmen in turkey and camels in germany just breed camels there and train the longbowmen as they were training in england whats so stupid about it?it could make the game historically incorrect but more fun.

Hirosito
02-27-2002, 22:38
i think its good to include the problem of getting things from one side of europe to the other

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Jaguara
02-28-2002, 00:23
Quote Originally posted by faisal:
ahh yes well its possible to train longbowmen in turkey and camels in germany just breed camels there and train the longbowmen as they were training in england whats so stupid about it?it could make the game historically incorrect but more fun.[/QUOTE]

OK, well, you can start training your longbowmen in Germany...you will get your first units 10 years after you begin the training regime...

I disagree that it would make the game more fun. I think that adding complications to getting your special units, as well as problems with supply lines helps the game.

Also, I am happy that navies are being included to a degree...it bodes well for the AI doing landings (or port invasions). It means that you will have to invest much more guarding rear-areas than in Shogun where you only really had to guard your front, leaving other provinces undefended.

Leet Eriksson
02-28-2002, 00:31
ah good point taking some time until you can train specialized units make it a bit realistic of course after getting through the complications and restrictions.