PDA

View Full Version : med total war

james
02-24-2002, 01:24
most of you guys may consider this as a stupid question but would anyone like to have a totalwar game on gamecube

------------------
know yourself and you will never be defeated

smillie.james@btopenworld.com

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-24-2002, 01:29
too hard to play plus not the right genre. This is strategy and most games on those platforms are not.

Plus a lot harder to unofficially patch, and add to unofficially which this community thrives on.

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"
http://www.gifs.net/animate/aniyin.gif

evilc
02-24-2002, 01:53
generalisation: children pl;ay consoles and children don't play good games http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif they play pokemon

theforce
02-24-2002, 02:27
Well GameCube is a very good console and it's games are gonna have childs games but also very noir games like Resident Evil, Enternal Darkness....
Contolling it will be hard but a mouse,keyboard combo should come soon.

------------------
Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.

Sword_Monkey
02-24-2002, 04:30
Quote Originally posted by theforce:
Well GameCube is a very good console and it's games are gonna have childs games but also very noir games like Resident Evil, Enternal Darkness....
Contolling it will be hard but a mouse,keyboard combo should come soon.

[/QUOTE]

I still don't think it's a good idea - even when a console system has a mouse/keypad controller available, developers know that only a small percentage of the potential audience has or is willing to get it just to play a particular game. Consequently, the game's interface is still dumbed down considerably.

I still remember trying to play a buddy Command and Conquer on his playstation years ago with a gamepad and thinking, repeatedly, WTF? Compared to the PC version it was a nightmare of fighting with the controls and frustration at things you just couldn't do.

Maybe, though, the X-box with its many PC centric developers will make the mouse/keypad controller more widespread among the general console public. I still can't believe Bungi shipped Halo as X-box only - me and a friend played coop on another friends X-box and were laughing ourselves silly at trying to drive the jeep while I operated the gun with the silly joythingees.

The mouse/key combo is by far the best control option for any game like this.

So, to answer the original question: When TV's can show 1152 or better resolution and developers write console games with mouse/keyboard style control in mind, then, yes, bring it on. But if it's going to be a traditional console oriented game design, then leave it on the planning board.

Leet Eriksson
02-24-2002, 05:33
if you look at the f***king scale of this game can a gamecube stand it?if AOEII can barely muster 100 units in the ps2 how come the game cube would muster 15,000 soldiers?and all that 3d i doubt it even if they cut down some features it would'nt be as good as the PC.

james
02-24-2002, 05:38
ok everyone i think we should all listen to faisal...hes absolutely right

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-24-2002, 06:54
Well er thanx for that James

Fai is quite right though. No ps2/gamecube/x-box could manage to host STW on it and not start to smoke and fall apart. The graphics for one thing and just the whole game as a concept is mind-bogoling to any of those platforms.

Also not many people buy ps2 to play strategy games, they are more 1st oerson/racing/shoot em ups/beat em ups platforms in my view!

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"
http://www.gifs.net/animate/aniyin.gif

theforce
02-24-2002, 16:12
Well l am reall into hardware and l can say "Don't underestimate console power"
See the emulators. N64 requires a 400-500Mhz PC to run the games on the PC correctly and N64 processor was only 92.8MHz.
I am pretty sure that GameCube can run the game with no problems.
Also mind that AOE and TW are using different engines and the 2d sprites of Shogun were made for this reason. If they were 3d like Ground Control for example it wouldn't be playable even on the most powerful hardware.
In additon console games would be more beatiful than the PC games. Trust me on this mate TW is pretty easy to port on either X-Box or GameCube.
Now go and see Resident Evil on GameCube and tell me if Unreal2 can match those graphics?
Mind that those Unreal pics are run on state of the art hardware.

------------------
Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.

Leet Eriksson
02-24-2002, 16:28
do not forget that you will still require a mouse and keyboard as a controller ain't suited for these type of games.

Jaguara
02-28-2002, 00:32
I agree with faisal.

I cannot see this type of game working on a console. So many 'ports' from PCs have abysmally disappointed me when I saw them on a console later.

There are control issues, and possible hardware issues, but mostly there are market issues. TW games are not really mass-market games like Gran Turismo 3 and Metal Gear Solid. I just cannot see them recovering their investment to the degree to make it worthwhile.

Leet Eriksson
02-28-2002, 00:47
btw toda even 1st person shooters don't fit in consoles its very hard with a controller just playing james bond with a controller for 1 hour forced me to get a mouse and keyboard for the ps2!Just to get the damn chicks and they were'nt hot as they used to be before the game was released..... http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif