PDA

View Full Version : Ceating SKINS for online play

clink
02-27-2002, 04:44
Hav'nt been at the Org much lately,been involved in another game called IL2STURMOVIK,a flight sim based on the Russian front in WWII. Anyway one of the options is that you can create skins for the aircraft of your choice. By opening a template in a paint program like Paintshop Pro. You can paint your selected aircraft to your liking. Some of the aircraft on line are very impressive.
This would be a good option for MTW letting players create skins for the army of thier choice. Personaly this would be a good option making MTW much more fun on line.

------------------
TeuTonic

Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
Steiner...

Whitey
02-27-2002, 10:38
nice - a kind of "Livery-Factory" option would be great, you're troops having specific colours for their uniforms - one problem I see is that if both armies had close to the same liveries, a 2v2 game would be difficult to see - but then we've got flags to differentiate there so thats ok

I can see one problem if we get to change animations, obscene anims online would be not so good - but if we are restricted to the colour of our troops uniforms then that Idea is great, the worst we could get is Naked Longbowmen http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

But yes - a good Idea, always fun in a game - PS, on that front - whatever happened to 'Warhammer Online' that looked great (shameful attempt to hijack topic with first reply http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif )

------------------
"Situation excellente. J'attaque!"

Whitey
02-27-2002, 10:42
oh, and - on the topic of download time of the others army on entering the game, our changes could be stored in a very small file - possibly even a .txt config file so It may lengthen the setup time by a good half second, I'm prepared to make that cacrifice http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

BomilkarDate
02-28-2002, 00:55
I think it would be a great idea, I would clad all of my men in orange, to make the enemy ROFL then, while he is laughing his head off, I'd kill all of his troops. No, really I hope we will have this option, it would be great to choose your own banners, too.

------------------
Strength and honour

Bomilkar Date

Erado San
03-01-2002, 15:46
Skins are exactly what they are: Skins that are drawn over a skeleton model of the planes in IL2. But Total War doesn't use 3D models to represent the troops. The game would be unplayable on even a Pentium VI with a GeForce 7 due to the amount of 3D data.

There could be a minute chance of having the banners moddable. If (part) of the banner remains exactly the same on every image they use for the sprites for the troops it could be done. They could copy your banner images into their banner images in the game, but any shading effect they applied in the original banners would be lost, so this seems doubtful.

Leet Eriksson
03-01-2002, 16:48
just changing the colors and the banner is fne with me but changing the entire design of a unit or its banner is gonna spell trouble for me comp.

Whitey
03-01-2002, 17:08
yes - the animations are not 3D, however that doesn't change the concept of changing unit uniform colours, not at all - how do you think the 5 or six different reds are stored in the No-Dachi uniform file?