PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Unit Sprite Generation

Caliban
05-08-2007, 02:23
Hi Guys,

Some of you may know that sprite generation was included in the official 1.2 patch. Heres the steps you will need to get this going:

1) installing the new 1.2 patch.
2) create a text file in your root folder: \Medieval II Totalwar\sprite_script.txt and create this folder: \Medieval II Totalwar\Export\unit_sprites\
3) add the name of the unit/s you want to build a sprite for in this text file.
For example:

EE_Peasants
Slav_Mercenaries
Huscarls

You can find the name of the unit in the data\export_descr_units.txt
where it lists the 'armour_ug_models' names. once the names are added to sprite_script.txt save the file.
4) run the game with this command line (or add to a config): --misc.bypass_sprite_script

You should now see the game load and a black screen with the units being rendered. It should dump the newly created sprite file to the newly created folder: \Medieval II Totalwar\Export\unit_sprites\
5) Convert the new sprite images to .texture and save them to \Medieval II Totalwar\data\unit_sprites\

enjoy!

Caliban

Re Berengario I
05-08-2007, 07:52
Trés cool!

Thanks a lot Caliban!

zxiang1983
05-08-2007, 10:21
Cool!
Just tried that! it's fantastic! No longer need to use timurid's unit as dismounted hospitaller's sprites.

Hi, Caliban, one question though, the sprite images is in tga format. how to change it to .texture format? My guess is first convert tga to dds then using the community tool to convert .dds to .texture. Could you confirm that?

Thanks in advance

Caliban
05-09-2007, 08:26
Hi zxiang,

Yes, you will need to convert with the current community converter.
I'm glad to hear it works, thanks for testing :)

Caliban

sik1977
05-25-2007, 18:56
Hi Caliban,

I would greatly appreciate if you can take some time to explain if there is a way to disable sprites in battles, and force the units to use LOD models regardless of the distance, just like in RTW where setting 'Unit Detail' to 'Highest' disabled sprites. In M2TW, setting Unit Detail to Highest only increases the distance where sprites kick in.

Alternatively, is there a way to increase the distance over and above the distance for sprites on 'Highest' unit detail setting.

Thanks and regards.

Wario
10-02-2007, 11:59
Hello!
Tnx for this tutorial!Iw tested it and it works,but...
How did i must generate sprites from moded Units,whos textures and meshes are in unpacked folders ?Did i must write some other command in bat file ?