PDA

View Full Version : MP site by Melon? - throw me some ideas

YellowMelon
05-11-2007, 20:10
There has been some discussion regarding a replay vault on the CCS forums, and I am sitting on a ridiculous amount of webspace I purchased for a failed project I started last summer, which I am now using for totalawards.

Anyways, with my own projects (TA being one) and a replay vault in the works, I thought, why don't I just make a site for the community. I know the .NET failed twice and such, but there is no real home for the MP community. The .Org could be but it hasn't taken off within the MP community for whatever reasons.

Ok so there is going to be a replay vault, that's the main purpose of this project, but I was wondering if anyone had some ideas of features they would like to see in a MP Community site.

Gimme some ideas, and I will see if I have enough to work with to put together a website that people will actually use, as well as how feasible this will be with my rather limited webdesign skillz.

guyfawkes5
05-11-2007, 20:37
Is this in league with Mojo?

YellowMelon
05-11-2007, 20:38
No...

guyfawkes5
05-11-2007, 20:41
Well then it appears two guys are attempting to pull together the same idea but seperately...

*Edit: And I read Elmo mention an idea of this nature a while back too, although I'm not sure what came of it...

[oR.osiris]
05-11-2007, 21:27
i see you posting on here all the time but why do i never see you in game?

YellowMelon
05-11-2007, 21:32
North American timezones combined with the lack of d2d 1.2 patch out yet, still waiting to get the patch, but I normally play 2-3 hours daily when I can play MP.

pike master
05-11-2007, 23:52
sounds like a good idea but i rarely have time to watch my own replays. i just play my memory is usually pretty good and i have a quick eye. usually when i lose to someone i figure out what i did wrong through brainstorming.

im sure some would wish to watch them like football teams and coaches do but i wonder if it actually ever helps.

in other words field experience vs. learning from watching replay training.

still no quabbles from me. sounds like a good idea. 8)

Jesus`
05-12-2007, 02:56
It's a good idea man, but I'm useless for ideas :(

Shahed
05-12-2007, 03:09
There has been some discussion regarding a replay vault on the CCS forums, and I am sitting on a ridiculous amount of webspace I purchased for a failed project I started last summer, which I am now using for totalawards.

Anyways, with my own projects (TA being one) and a replay vault in the works, I thought, why don't I just make a site for the community. I know the .NET failed twice and such, but there is no real home for the MP community. The .Org could be but it hasn't taken off within the MP community for whatever reasons.

Ok so there is going to be a replay vault, that's the main purpose of this project, but I was wondering if anyone had some ideas of features they would like to see in a MP Community site.

Gimme some ideas, and I will see if I have enough to work with to put together a website that people will actually use, as well as how feasible this will be with my rather limited webdesign skillz.

Hey Melon, nice sig ! Is there any other website out there dedicated to M2:TW MP ? Al

KrooK
05-12-2007, 14:46
I have an idea
Join Polish Community Project - totalwars.pl
we are thinking about replay section
so we have same ideas :)

Wolf_Kyolic
05-12-2007, 15:49
You guys can use .net if you want. Just throw in a new index.html and start from scratch if you like. We can email the ftp account details.

Monarch
05-12-2007, 17:24
Ideas...

-Replay Vault
-Move Total Awards on there (CCS would obviously love you to stay, but this sorta thing is all about creating traffic, TA should bring quite a bit)
-Get this new community mod thats in the works to be stationed there, again traffic ftw.
-Good website, thats updated regularly with TW news and community news like tourney results.

The thing is, and I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway, if you just make a community forum with a "Tavern" and "TW Discussion area" nobody will bother, tourney boards have that and more. So just make reasons for people to go there, and then people will start posting generally.

Darren_Shan
05-12-2007, 17:49
Oh the irony. :)

I have been working on such a thing for about a month now. We already have a paid .com webspace and the work on the forum has already begun. I also tought about the replay vault, but there will be also a RPG game... and basically i will move Medieval News there. It would get it's own forum where we can work on it and make it better and better. Also we would like CA to recognise how great the MP comuinity is and make our website an unofficial Total War MP fansite. Also we will ask them to report on MAJOR TWMP events... well time for me to keep my mouth shout. :)

YM if you would like to come and work with us it would be brilliant. :)

Love & PEace
Kakashi

Colossus
05-12-2007, 18:20
Both of you have great ideas imo, but seriously it would work if you joined forces :) as then if they gain interest, there is just one forum for people to visit, rather than two.

guyfawkes5
05-12-2007, 18:40
I or any clanmate of mine would be glad to help in setting up a bastion for the new community, so anyone can feel free to contact us here or on our forums if they think we can contribute. :)

YellowMelon
05-12-2007, 18:52
I am very envious of what the Polish community has accomplished, but I think that unless more accomodations are made to English speaking players there won't be a home for us in the PL.

And I agree with monarch, there needs to be content to draw the community together not just a forum. In fact I intend to have the forum play a small role in comparison, since it requires much time and moderation.

Working with Kakashi will just be counterproductive, so I must decline, the same as using the .Net. Using that domain would carry an awful lot of baggage I don't want while starting something up.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will brainstorm more over the weekend until I return home.

Darren_Shan
05-12-2007, 19:15
YM you whont work with me. Again i have been working for more than a month now and we will be done soon.

I whont be an admin there. It's is only I who got the idea of making a comuinty site but It whon't be me who will run it.

So basically you say that there will be two comuinty forums. And basically you say that this would work better then having one. There is absolutelly no need for me to argue with you as I and my team will be done in the weekend.

My offer is still up. Join our team. LEad our team. Again I whont even be a moderator on the new forum. If you still think that you will continue alone than good luck m8 and hurry up casue it took us 1 month to come till here.... to setting up the forum :)

What can I say?

Denali
05-12-2007, 20:08
if u need help dont msge me

edit: jk, i ofc meant "do msge me" =)

YellowMelon
05-12-2007, 22:12
The site I am proposing is not necessarily based on the forums, at least not in its early stages. The first priority is getting the replay vault up and running and making an attractive place to stage TA. I have contacted somebody who has agreed to code a database for me, where people can upload a replay and tag which clans are involved in the match, as well as add additional comments. That way people can search for specific clans or tournaments and a list of the archived files will show up. At least that is what is the current brainstorm between the two of us. Whatever the site evolves into past that point will be the decision of the community and how much spare time I have.

But as for working with you, Kakashi, I decline your offer but best wishes in your own endeavours. I'll move at my own pace which when motivated can move faster than a pack of wild ostriches.

Stig
05-13-2007, 12:44
*Edit: And I read Elmo mention an idea of this nature a while back too, although I'm not sure what came of it...
Elmo dropped the idea after seeing the attitude of the MP players at these forums

Jesus`
05-13-2007, 13:12
Yeah we have bad attitudes because we play multiplayer :(

pike master
05-13-2007, 14:12
@stig

true dat :beam:

Monarch
05-13-2007, 16:30
All sounds great Melon. I think for a few ideas definately take a look at the GR portals. http://www.gamereplays.org/coh/portal.htm

Tips of the week, replay of the week, also will you support shoutcasts? Ya know where people commentate, personally the only replays I watch on gr are ones which people have uploaded audio commentaries for, I'm kinda meh at coh and that kinda thing is really good for helping noobs out. Explaining armies, strategies, talking about maybe why somebody did something etc.

Heck if you can be bothered and can find enough content to talk about then an m2 version of http://tales.tsncentral.com/ could be very interesting.

just some ideas, I really like your emphasis on the website.

Denali
05-13-2007, 16:41
Melon is just too nice with the community... they don't deserve his love :whip::beam:

[oR.osiris]
05-13-2007, 22:30
The best way to develop a multiplayer community is to get it into a recognizable league like TWL or CAL.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
05-14-2007, 15:38
Elmo dropped the idea after seeing the attitude of the MP players at these forums

He can always leave! Worked for me..... ...Untill BF2 broke for me:wall: :laugh4:

Monarch
05-14-2007, 20:26
']The best way to develop a multiplayer community is to get it into a recognizable league like TWL or CAL.

Its in TWL afaik, but so are a million other games, its unpopular and I'm not even sure if its still active.

CAL...not for a game like m2.

KrooK
05-15-2007, 09:54
I was thinking about idea with replays for a long time.
It would be replay database. Every replay from every tourney saved there. And every totalwar site and totalwar player would be able to open and check them.

Proteus
05-15-2007, 12:56
Yea Melon I sugest to call it :
THE LIBRARY OF ALEXANDRIA TW.
Save tourney games ,undisputed and not be used for score judgments or personal duels.
because some of them can be too long to be only with resable amount of time played.

That would be a historical event for the community because is not who won or lose a game but how.
Many great plays and players can put their name in history there that otherwise would be forgoten.

pike master
05-15-2007, 13:55
saving replays instead of screenshots is a good idea. replays need not be in a movie (i.e. youtube) form. it is quite simple to download them into your replay folder and view them. so yellow melon could use a filefront library so to speak.

sometimes its very important as well to look for armor and wepon upgrades of the players involved. this will give you some indication of the relative power of some units and their lethality.

i am all for it. i think it is an excellent idea and if it can be added into the org or .com it could be easily accessible by the novice community. as i myself am an accomplished novice and could use some tips.