PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Civilizations Part 2 [Concluded]

Pages : [1] 2 3

Caius
05-13-2007, 03:28
Hey guys,

Since Lucjan had leaved the org for a long time, Im starting RoC 2
I will take first Lucjan post, so you are not lost ;)

Rise of Civilization

This is a strategy game Lucjan had developed to play very much like a mixture of the Total War, Civilization, and Knights of Honor games. So let’s start with the basics.

Background - This is a game of strategy and leadership. Player’s pick a civilization of their choice and lead it to greatness through the art of diplomacy, economics, colonization and warfare. The game begins in a fictional Europe where rather than waves of migrating people settling down to found their cultures, all the civilizations of the world have risen to prominence all at once. This game is not intended to be historically accurate, and instead focuses on fun and gameplay.

Number of Players - There is no limit to the number of player’s that can play the game in total, however, there is a limit to the number of civilizations that can exist, this limit will be imposed when the influence of the game’s combined kingdoms spreads across the whole of the map.

Types of Players - There will be three types of player’s in the game. Kings, who are in control of an entire Kingdom and can dictate the diplomatic, military, economic and cultural development of their kingdom. Dukes, who are given territory by a sponsoring king in return for taking some of the burden of rule off the king’s shoulders by being able to better manage the needs of their regions and relay local issues of importance to the King. And Counts, counts are appointed by either sponsoring kings or sponsoring dukes. They control a single region and are often appointed to deal with specific issues relating to the area, they have the potential to become Dukes if the king feels they are capable enough to be so. Dukes and Counts also act independently of the King, so the King. They may declare war on other Duchies or Counties outside the same kingdom and may freely move through those in the same kingdom. However, be warned, a count or duke who declares war on a foreign duchy or county is effectively declaring war on that entire Kingdom. Kings should be advised only to appoint trustworthy subjects, or at the very least keep them on a tight leash.

Can Players Be Eliminated? - Players will never be removed from the game simply by losing their kingdom. If another player is willing to take that player in as a count or duke, they can continue to play, they’ll simply have to work their way back up if they intend to rebuild a kingdom.

Goals and Winning - The goal is to become the Supreme Emperor of all of Europe. Once, on the end of the 4th turn of every month, players will be given a report consisting of the top 5 civilizations in the game based on their military, economic, and cultural scores. This report will also include a list of all diplomatic treaties and wars. The top 2 civilizations will be placed into a poll in which all players will be given the chance to vote for a Supreme Emperor of all the civilizations in the game. They have three options, they can vote for either civilization number 1, civilization number 2, or they can abstain from voting entirely. To become Supreme Emperor, you must acquire one of two things. Either a unanimous vote by the 5 top powers on the list, or, you acquire 3/4s of the vote from everybody in the game. In this aspect the game is moderately open ended, as it will only end when a Supreme ruler is elected or only one civilization remains in the game.

Playable Civilizations - Any civilization is playable, whether it is historically accurate or not. This game is about fun, not historical accuracy, and even completely made up civilizations can be used.

The Map - This is the geographic map we’ll be using for the visual aspects of the game.

https://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p108/lucjian/RoCStart-1.jpg

Turns and Reports - Each turn will start at 9am Monday and end on at 9pm Friday, results will all be tallied over the course of the week and the weekend for our later posters.

Diplomacy - Diplomatic communication is greatly encouraged between players and cooperation may be crucial to some culture’s survival. While player’s may feel free to make any deals in conversation between each other that they want. Please make note, only trade agreements need to be relayed to me by both parties involved for the purpose of the news report and so I can calculate income correctly, they are not considered confirmed and do not exist if I don't hear about it from both sides. All other diplomacy is done between players only and does not need to be made public unless players choose to make it so.

Special Diplomatic Situations
- Instinctive National Loathing (This situation arises when two civilizations remain at war with each for more than 8 turns, it makes peace and economic growth an impossibility, as the involved civilizations come to contend with popular movements specifically intended to harm the other side, and the conflict becomes guerilla. This stance only goes away after a ceasefire can be agreed to, and 4 turns have passed following the signing of the ceasefire.)

Other Diplomatic Actions
- Trade Agreement
- Give Money
- Give Troops
- Give Region
- Give City/Castle
- Appoint Duke
- Appoint Count

Economy - The economy in Rise of Civilizations will directly influence the amount of money you make per turn from taxes and trade. Each active citie’s economies will be rated on a scale of 1-5. This number, multiplied by 200, will give you the total taxes taken from that city each turn. This number can be manually increased by spending twice the current income of a region to upgrade it to the next. Therefore, spending 400 gold will increase a level 1 city to level 2. Trade is also important, all players trade with each other automatically unless requested specifically not to trade with another player, or they are at war. Each trade link adds 5% to the income of that region. So a region with level 2 economy, 3 land routes and 3 sea routes makes 400 + (400 x .30) = 520 gold per turn.

Culture - You civilizations culture expands simply through settlement. Settling cities is simple, all you need to do is spend 3000 gold on a city to have it become an active, contributing settlement to your tax and trade income, anything less than that places the city on the map, but does not make it economically important enough to be taxed or traded with.

Cultural Actions
- Found a New City
- Settle an Existing City

Military - The military aspect of Rise of Civilizations is handled simply. Players can recruit the following units, with the following costs and upkeeps. All units equal 100 men. These men are subtracted from the populations of the settlements they’re recruited from.
Infantry - 50 gold recruit / 25 gold upkeep
Missiles - 50 gold recruit / 25 gold upkeep
Cavalry - 125 gold recruit / 75 gold upkeep

The order of battle is simple. Missiles fire first, then infantry engage, then cavalry. When players order a march, they must also set a priority of attack. Example -
Hungary’s Capital Army marches on Austria‘s Eastern Army.
Missiles priority is Infantry, Missiles, then Cavalry.
Infantry priority is Infantry, Missiles, then Cavalry.
Cavalry priority is Missiles, Cavalry, then Infantry.

I will deal with determining the results of all battles, and if requested, will use an online die rolling script to generate die rolls for player reference.

The benefits and problems of the different unit types are -

Missiles always fire first even if the enemy has no missiles, but suffer a 25% loss to their defence efficiency if attacked by infantry or cavalry.

Infantry are the core of most armies and have no particular advantages or setbacks.

Cavalry, in the first round of combat, negate 25% of the enemies defence efficiency due to their first round charging power, but lose 25% of their own defence efficiency due to losing that charging momentum immediately thereafter in the second round of combat, they stabilize in the third round and neither gain or suffer anything.

3 rounds of combat will be tallied before the results are shown to the players. Combat rounds will be tallied in the following way.

For each side, a 100 sided die and a 10 sided die will be rolled for each group of the army, and that is the percent that successfully strike an opponent, then a 100 sided die and a 10 sided die are rolled for the opposing side, that is the percent that block the strike, then the remaining strikes that get through are multiplied by .35, and that is the number of casualties inflicted for that round. 00 and 0 on the die are treated as 0, not 100 and 10.

Example -
Civs - Hungary vs. Austria
Missiles - 1,600 vs. 1,000
Infantry - 10,000 vs. 14,000
Cavalry - 2,000 vs. 800

Round 1 - Missiles
Hungary rolls 0% for missile attack, Austria doesn‘t even need to roll defence.
Austria’s archers retaliate (assuming they posted an identical priority of attack)
Austria attacks with 14% attack efficiency, Hungary rolls a 95% defence efficiency, so Hungary only suffers (1,000 x .14 x .05 {the reverse of the defence is taken to tally the losses rather than survivors}) = 7 deaths. A rather pitiful display by both sides in regards to missile fire.

Round 1 - Infantry

Hungary’s infantry roll 36%, and Austria’s roll 56% defence, Austria loses a total of 1584 infantry. (Again, 10,000 x .36 x .44 = 1584)
Austria’s infantry retaliate with 28%, Hungary rolls a 1% defence, so Hungary suffers 3,881 infantry losses.

Round 1 - Cavalry

Hungary’s cavalry attack for 87%, Austria’s missiles roll 33% defence, but it’s reduced to 17% by the cavalry’s charging power and the fact that they‘re missiles troops and much less prepared for close combat. (2,000 x .87 x .83 ) = 1,444. Since Austria only has 1,000 archers, their missile regiment is completely overrun by the Hungarian cavalry.

Austria’s cavalry attack for 24% efficiency, and Hungary’s missiles defend for 75%, but this is reduced to 36% by the same factors. Austria scores 123 kills.

The casualties are tallied and armies recounted.
Civs - Hungary vs. Austria
Missiles - 1477 vs. 0
Infantry - 6,112 vs. 12,416
Cavalry - 2,000 vs. 800

Two more rounds will continue after this, and then the combat will end, and the player’s will have the option to give new orders to these armies the next turn.

In the event that an army loses 50% of it’s entire force in a single round before reaching round 3, that army will break and route, and the battle will be considered over. The defeated army will retreat one turn’s marching distance and the victorious army will remain where it is.

It is also possible to fortify regions with castles, castles are the only places where large standing armies can be housed. They can be fortified from a level of 1-3. Castles cost 2,000 gold to build, 1,000 gold to upgrade, and can hold up to 10,000 troops soldiers per level. They can be built anywhere.

When ordering armies to march, name the army itself and its target or its destination. I will path the quickest route there and place the armies location 1 turn’s march from its starting point.

One turn’s marching distance is roughly 250 kilometers.

Castles that are besieged can either be destroyed or occupied. Cities that are captured can either be occupied, sacked or exterminated. Occupying cities keep them under your control. Sacking cities gives you 4 turns worth of it’s income but drops it to a level 1 city. Exterminating a city erases it from the map, gives you 2 turns worth of it’s income, and prompts the war to fall to the next level, “Instinctive National Loathing”, but it has the benefit of never coming back to bite you later.

Military Orders -
- Build Castle
- March Army
- Occupy / Destroy captured castle.
- Occupy / Sack / Exterminate captured city.

Joining the Game -

If you’re interested in playing, post here with the name of your choice.We will start when an uncertain cuantity of people had signed up.

All diplomatic activity should be carried out privately between players and agreed treaties sent to me to be recorded. All turn orders should be sent directly to me to be carried out.

I firmly believe we can all have a great time with this. Signups are being taken and Civs can start being reserved now.

I personally would like to take the reigns of Iberia.(Yes, again!)

Also, I might be sending a link when there will be the economy report by every turn.Its an online spreadsheet.

Further Notes in Regards to Player Questions
Are casualties worked out simultaneously?
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1443207&postcount=28
How do troops move across water?
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1443564&postcount=38
Garrisons and Attacking Cities/Castles
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1443824&postcount=40
Founding Cities, Requirements and Distances?
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1446926&postcount=44
Brief Notes on Orders and What Players Start With
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1446940&postcount=45
Numerous Questions Raised on Variable Topics
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1449146&postcount=69
Spies?
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1450994&postcount=77
Heartland Provinces and Territory
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1451286&postcount=83
Be beware that the fighting part can be changed, and settlements will resist X turns of siege.

Players with Faction:
Caivs Flaminivs - Iberia
greaterkhaan - Mongols
Faust - Vandals
Tran - Vikings
CountArach - Belgae
TwilightBlade - Greece
pevergreen - HRE
Ignoramus - Burgundy(sp?)
Crazed Rabbit - Israel

Cheers

Caivs

seireikhaan
05-13-2007, 03:43
Ahh, I was wondering about rise of civs. I'm in. Really, do you have to ask who I want to be? Mongols.

Caius
05-13-2007, 03:48
Ahh, I was wondering about rise of civs. I'm in. Really, do you have to ask who I want to be? Mongols.
You are in.

And Im spoiling the first post.Its bigger

Faust|
05-13-2007, 03:48
Alright, I'll be the Vandals in North Africa.

Tran
05-13-2007, 03:56
Can I take Viking? It probably started somewhere between Norway and Sweden...

Caius
05-13-2007, 03:59
Can I take Viking? It probably started somewhere between Norway and Sweden...
I have to check some things.
Like the timeframe...And where to start..
You are in, but if it might change.

CountArach
05-13-2007, 06:21
He let us pick anyone, regardless of time period.

Hmmm, I'll start as the Belgae in Belgium.

Twilightblade
05-13-2007, 06:34
Ill join
put me anywhere

pevergreen
05-13-2007, 08:23
I would hope you are active TB, you have a bad record of activity in RoC.

I will join as a race i make up? :beam:

I will be the Holy Roman Empire, starting in the Holy Lands.

Warluster
05-13-2007, 22:46
I'll join seeing as I was booted from the last one...

Are the rules the same as last time? If so I'll join as a Count for hre. WHich pever controls.

pevergreen
05-14-2007, 01:07
Mwhahah! Lets hope you are active unlike Cimmeriand and Twilightblade.

Ignoramus
05-14-2007, 03:31
I'll take the Burgundians, considering that this is shaping up to be a Dark Ages scenario.

seireikhaan
05-14-2007, 04:11
I welcome all who wish to be a vassal of the great Mongol Khaan. I plan on having A LOT of territory, so I may need some help coordinating my MASSIVE empire.:beam:

Tran
05-14-2007, 08:56
Vassal of the great khaan? Don't make us Vikings laugh! We shall butcher you if you even attempt to snatch one of our territories...also don't forget that the winter snow here might help do the killing! ~;p

Twilightblade
05-14-2007, 11:05
I would hope you are active TB, you have a bad record of activity in RoC.

Hey u didn't tell me that i had a castle or city or anything so how could i know and its not as if someone would put it in the thread.

pevergreen
05-14-2007, 12:01
I told you every day at school. I kept reminding you to send stuff in. You got reminders from Lucjan.

Caius
05-14-2007, 20:13
Vassal of the great khaan? Don't make us Vikings laugh! We shall butcher you if you even attempt to snatch one of our territories...also don't forget that the winter snow here might help do the killing! ~;p
Vikings, In name of Andres the II, I suggest that we can be allies.Such alliance can make our enemies run away...

Just, contact me.

Twilightblade
05-15-2007, 00:31
I told you every day at school. I kept reminding you to send stuff in. You got reminders from Lucjan.

No reminders from you or Lucjan were recieved

seireikhaan
05-15-2007, 00:42

Hmm, someone's been lax in their history study.:whip: We Mongols love the cold, frozen winter. While soft and lazy Europeans are hiding away in their castles, waiting for spring, we fierce warriors ride across the lands, utilizing the frozen rivers for swift travel to major cities, catching our unsuspecting opponents by surprise with our vastly superior speed and toughness. Unprepared, the Europeans can do little to save themselves, and the great horde continues onward until no opponent is left standing.

Also, there was no need to be hostile about my offer. I was merely offering to spare the lives of conquered peoples. Also, technically you're already in my territory by being on the map, so I am free to take what I need when I need it:beam:

Tran
05-15-2007, 03:52
At least...those barbarous evil Mongols replied...

Hmm, someone's been lax in their history study.:whip:
History you say? History will judge who will become the winner among us. Although we Vikings have no doubt that the Mongols will be stopped and forced to flee once we met them in battlefield! :duel:

While soft and lazy Europeans are hiding away in their castles, waiting for spring, we fierce warriors ride across the lands, utilizing the frozen rivers for swift travel to major cities, catching our unsuspecting opponents by surprise with our vastly superior speed and toughness. Unprepared, the Europeans can do little to save themselves, and the great horde continues onward until no opponent is left standing.
The Mongols think us as lazy Europeans and think they can defeat us easily? Hah! Once you have found out the true power in Europe, not even the greatest warlord of the East dare to stand and oppose us! We Vikings shall be the first to defeat you, that is of course, if you decided "to play in Europe". Otherwise, you can just play in your Asia land, or perhaps...you might want to just kneel and submit to us? ~;) ~;p

Also, there was no need to be hostile about my offer. I was merely offering to spare the lives of conquered peoples. Also, technically you're already in my territory by being on the map, so I am free to take what I need when I need it:beam:
Well, if you Mongols decided to stay away from Europe, that'll be fine for us. You said you love cold winter, I take it that you fear and frighten of the hot climate of Northern Africa? Or is it because you fear their camels? :laugh4:

Ignoramus
05-15-2007, 03:56
We Burgundians will not tolerate Viking raids. If those Norsemen appear in our lands, we shall not rest till every last one of them lies dead!

Tran
05-15-2007, 04:03
Ugghh....Burgundians? What are those? I've only heard of those nothing more than "little band of kingdom wanna-be"? Can someone clarify this? Of course if they accept to become our minion vassal, we shall gladly protect them.

seireikhaan
05-15-2007, 04:15
We Burgundians will not tolerate Viking raids. If those Norsemen appear in our lands, we shall not rest till every last one of them lies dead!
The great and generous Mongol Khaan wishes to extend a hand of friendship to fair Burgundian people. Together may we conquer and destroy all fanatical and uncouth insurrectionists that may attempt to destabilize the educated world. May the barbarous Vikings be crushed under the toe of order and justice!

Also, don't be talking to me about camels. We're not the one's who went into Outremer donned in full chain and plate armour. We'll leave the foolish combat tactics to the Europeans.:yes:

Ahh, nothing like pre-game smack talk, eh?:laugh4:

Tran
05-15-2007, 04:28
The great and generous Mongol Khaan wishes to extend a hand of friendship to fair Burgundian people. Together may we conquer and destroy all fanatical and uncouth insurrectionists that may attempt to destabilize the educated world. May the barbarous Vikings be crushed under the toe of order and justice!
Ha! The Mongol speak of "order and justice"! What have they drunk too much? Do they even know the meaning of these?

We'll leave the foolish combat tactics to the Europeans.:yes:
Irony! You wanted friendship with Burgundians who are also Europeans, yet, you call them foolish! Never trust the hypocrite Mongols!

Ahh, nothing like pre-game smack talk, eh?:laugh4:
~:joker: ~:joker:

seireikhaan
05-15-2007, 04:36
Irony! You wanted friendship with Burgundians who are also Europeans, yet, you call them foolish! Never trust the hypocrite Mongols!

Irony! Just 20 minutes ago you claimed to not even know who the Burgundians were! If you have no idea who they are, how could you know that they are European? Never trust the hypocrite Vikings!:smash:

seireikhaan
05-15-2007, 05:15
Caius, how many people are we going to have in the game? Is there a limit? Also, are we going to allow people to join mid-game, ala me in RoC1?

Twilightblade
05-15-2007, 07:51
I'll be Greece now that I think about it

Tran
05-15-2007, 12:53
Irony! Just 20 minutes ago you claimed to not even know who the Burgundians were! If you have no idea who they are, how could you know that they are European? Never trust the hypocrite Vikings!:smash:
Well, that's because between those 20 minutes our sociology and geographic expert came then explained to us about these so-called "Burgundians" :grin2:

Therefore, we're no hypocrite ~;) You Mongols still are :rolleyes:

seireikhaan
05-15-2007, 13:48
Well, that's because between those 20 minutes our sociology and geographic expert came then explained to us about these so-called "Burgundians" :grin2:

Yes, because sociology and geography were studied heavily in the dark and medieval ages.~:rolleyes:

Tran
05-15-2007, 18:05
Yes, because sociology and geography were studied heavily in the dark and medieval ages.~:rolleyes:
Please...don't look at us as if we were the same "backward and primitive" people like you Mongols or everyone else in Europe.

*cough*

We Vikings think...uh...discovered this new land mass in the West I think ~;) :rolleyes:

Also please don't forget our friends who rode camels at Northern Africa ~;) I'm sure they know a lot more than we do :bow:

Caius
05-15-2007, 23:18
Three days...

Join now!

pevergreen
05-15-2007, 23:42
Can I have Holy Roman Camel Knights?

Caius
05-15-2007, 23:44
Can I have Holy Roman Camel Knights?
No.

You can have camel mounted legionaries...

In your dreams!

pevergreen
05-15-2007, 23:48
Nooooooo! Ah well, the game just has "Cavalry", ill make them Camel mounted...in my mind.

Twilightblade
05-16-2007, 11:16
I'm sure you will

Tran
05-16-2007, 11:39
What is these talk of "Unholy Non-Roman In-Empire" trying to have mounted camel legions? We know camels will never be able to survive the cold climate of Europe. Camels' habitat are Africa, and that's where they should stay.

Now where's my camel hunter soldiers? :whip:

pevergreen
05-17-2007, 01:37
I will be the Holy Roman Empire, starting in the Holy Lands.

:bow:

Tran
05-17-2007, 01:42
You have a "Holy Land", UnHoly? :beam:

Caius
05-18-2007, 02:57
Three days...

Join now!
Remember, less than 24 hours to join!

And we will start soon, and I will give you a little help(Maybe 3 settlements)

Crazed Rabbit
05-19-2007, 01:49
Well, having just been thrown off a cliff in KFM (and w/o getting to duel!) I'll join, as Israel (with first city on the coast, please, due west of Jerusalem).

Thanks,
CR

Caius
05-19-2007, 03:35
Well, having just been thrown off a cliff in KFM (and w/o getting to duel!) I'll join, as Israel (with first city on the coast, please, due west of Jerusalem).

Thanks,
CR
You are in.

***Signup closed***

Send the report with everything you need.

Post in thread if I have the PM box full, I think I have to make space for running this game.

You have one(1) week to send the turns, failture to do this will result of doing anything.

2 weeks without PM's:Wrath of the Caius Flaminius Confederation of Rebels.(This mean you lose)

Help is need with the map.We need one very new.

Tran
05-19-2007, 05:58
...Wrath of the Caius Flaminius Confederation of Rebels...
These people will bow to us once we show them our gold :eyebrows:

pevergreen
05-19-2007, 09:54
So we are sending our first turn orders?
You said we might get extra cities, is this true to start with?

Caius
05-19-2007, 14:26
First, I need a new map.

Second it is true that you start with 3 (three) cities.Level 2

The amount of gold will be 15000.
No population.
No armies.

These people will bow to us once we show them our gold

You mean 100000 gold?Hmm...

Tran
05-19-2007, 14:35
Surely :bow:

We Vikings shall patiently wait until the Earth Council give us a map :bow:

Crazed Rabbit
05-19-2007, 17:57
I suppose I could whip out a map if you want.

CR

Caius
05-19-2007, 18:37
I suppose I could whip out a map if you want.

CR
That would be very helpfull

Crazed Rabbit
05-19-2007, 19:40
Well, the map is done.
https://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9176/roc2startlr1.jpg

Before we start, however, I think we need to discuss if we wish to implement any changes to the rules suggested by Kraellin last round (maybe you should PM him to see if he wants to join);
Castles - must one assault them before attacking towns nearby?
Boats - Do players have to buy transport for troops across water, or maintain separate navies?
Trade - should location affect trade? I think it should, and I think I might be able to make an excel spreadsheet that could calculate taxes for cities depending on who they traded with, whether or not they're a port city, etc.

City Density - this is important. We could make varying levels of density in the map, ranging from very low (desert) to low (steppes) to middling (most of Europe) to high (regions with rich farmland).

Untravelable regions - the alps and certain deserts, for example.

CR

Caius
05-19-2007, 19:53
Boats - Do players have to buy transport for troops across water, or maintain separate navies?

I suggest that we need transport ships and 'war boats'

Castles - must one assault them before attacking towns nearby?

No, unless you dont want to have problems with enemy reinforcements

Trade - should location affect trade? I think it should, and I think I might be able to make an excel spreadsheet that could calculate taxes for cities depending on who they traded with, whether or not they're a port city, etc
Im not sure on how to do this :dizzy2:

City Density - this is important. We could make varying levels of density in the map, ranging from very low (desert) to low (steppes) to middling (most of Europe) to high (regions with rich farmland).
Yes.I can make an research and I can make a new map with the climate.However, I suggest that we need an spreadsheet to see whats included and whats not.

I will Pm Kraelin.

Crazed Rabbit
05-19-2007, 22:26
We can use the current map for climate/density purposes, it just would require a bit of coloring.

I suggest that we need transport ships and 'war boats'

For simplicity's sake, I suggest just one type, built in port cities with a certain level of development.

Im not sure on how to do this

Neither am I, but I think I might be able to get something to work.

CR

pevergreen
05-20-2007, 00:48
I better not be yellow and black. I told you i was starting in the Holy Lands.

Crazed Rabbit
05-20-2007, 02:12
Dang, I do seem to recall that.

Um, okay, so would somewhere near Tyre be good?

CR

seireikhaan
05-20-2007, 02:55
WOW. That's a lot of steppes, and they're ALL MINE! Seriously, though. Could we get SOMEONE else out east. If not, I could turn this into a laugher with all the unguarded territory out there.

EDIT: Is there a way my capital could be on the northeast corner of the Caspian?

CountArach
05-20-2007, 04:17
Alright, in the interest of evening the game up, I'll start as Soviet Russia at Leningrad

seireikhaan
05-20-2007, 04:35
Well, I'm not so sure about the Soviets, I think Russia would be more time period appropriate. Thanks, though. I've finally got some competition for the east! I'm not very fond of games being too easy.

CountArach
05-20-2007, 05:15
Fine, Russians it is.

I'll just be communist :tongue2:

seireikhaan
05-20-2007, 05:18
Fine, Russians it is.

Lol, you should see my U.S. history teacher. He's got an action figure of Super Man holding a giant(relatively) communist flag.

Twilightblade
05-20-2007, 07:46
Am I the dark purple dot cuz it looks to be in the right place

Tran
05-20-2007, 09:18
Fine, Russians it is.

Blasphemy!!

We Vikings urge all the true believers of God to crush and launch Crusade against these blasphemer Russkies!

May the righteous be rewarded with heaven! :charge:

Caius
05-20-2007, 16:06
Meh,

Viking's dont think.

Crazed Rabbit
05-21-2007, 00:06
Well, here's the revised map.

https://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8246/roc2startnewal4.jpg
Anyone think we might want to go with a smaller map, what with the fewer players? Say, just of Europe and not Asia or Africa?

CR

seireikhaan
05-21-2007, 02:30
Silly rabbit! You forgot me on that map.

Faust|
05-21-2007, 04:16
Well, here's the revised map.

Anyone think we might want to go with a smaller map, what with the fewer players? Say, just of Europe and not Asia or Africa?

CR

Yes, like the cities of Italy... something like that.

Crazed Rabbit
05-21-2007, 06:17
Silly rabbit! You forgot me on that map.

Is there a way my capital could be on the northeast corner of the Caspian?
:inquisitive:

Yes, like the cities of Italy... something like that.

That'd be fun.

Crazed Rabbit

Caius
05-21-2007, 21:40

That would be better.

Crazed Rabbit
05-21-2007, 22:54
Here's a possible Italy map;
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Satellite_image_of_Italy_in_March_2003.jpg/500px-Satellite_image_of_Italy_in_March_2003.jpg
and a possible Europe map;
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/SPA/1467~Western-Europe-from-Space-Spaceshots-Posters.jpg

Any other suggestions?

Crazed Rabbit

CountArach
05-22-2007, 04:50
Italy would be fun. Sort of a Rise of Rome scenario.

Ignoramus
05-22-2007, 13:12
I agee, but let's make this as historical as possible, with Carthage, Rome etc.

seireikhaan
05-22-2007, 13:25
I'll do the Italy map if I can be Carthage.

Tran
05-22-2007, 13:51
We Vikings reject this silly attempt by the Romans' descendants to exclude us from the European affair. Any further attempt shall be met with fierce resistance by our gallant Norsemen warriors!

Caius
05-23-2007, 02:37
I highly suggest a Rise of Rome scenario as CA said

Faust|
05-23-2007, 03:04
If it's Rise of Rome, I'll be the Umbrians... capital at Perugia

seireikhaan
05-23-2007, 03:14
Rise of Rome? I believe by the end we will be referring to the scenario as Carthaginian Domination.:beam:

CountArach
05-23-2007, 06:06
Fine, Romans it is. Centred on... well, Rome...

Though i know I will be completely mobbed...

Tran
05-23-2007, 14:28
All right then...if you descendants of the evil Romans insist! We have warned you against this attempt to Romanized the whole Europe! Prepare to be crushed by our mighty and gallant warriors! :charge: :charge:

pevergreen
05-24-2007, 08:08
I shall be the senate? Failing that, the guys in RTR6.0 who are to the right of the italian peninsula. They were blue..

Twilightblade
05-24-2007, 08:34
Ok now i have no idea who to be

pevergreen
05-24-2007, 08:40
you can be the Etruscans! (sp?)

Twilightblade
05-24-2007, 08:59
Why not. So where do they start?

pevergreen
05-24-2007, 09:22
Come on Harchie, you remember. Think back to Med history 1 and 2. Rise of Rome?

Slightly North of rome, they were the first people rome smacked (AFAIK)

Twilightblade
05-24-2007, 10:11
Nope mental blank sorry but all I remember is Chapman making a fool of himself

Ignoramus
05-24-2007, 11:06
I'll take Syracuse; it should be interesting being right in the middle of a war.

CountArach
05-25-2007, 07:14
I shall be the senate? Failing that, the guys in RTR6.0 who are to the right of the italian peninsula. They were blue..

I'm already Rome.

pevergreen
05-25-2007, 11:42
they were blue, not rome itself. Were the first city that the Brutii take is, that one and north. Illyria!

If im not the senate, i will be Illyria.

Crazed Rabbit
05-25-2007, 20:50
Okay, good news.

The map so far is done with the new cities:
https://img62.imageshack.us/img62/769/italyrocdv5.jpg
The legend shows a 200km long bar.

Pevergreen, if you want your city of Illyria to move, just say so.

New economic system - founded on Lucjan's old system, with 5 different city levels, 3k to found a city, 200 gold per level in income, cost to upgrade is twice the fold earned at the level, etc.

What's different? Thanks to the magic of excel, more complicated economics are possible. If you guys want, I've designed an excel spreadsheet that will do the following:
Let all port cities trade with one another, making them best for trade;
let all cities in a province trade with each other;
let all cities within a certain distance (100-200km?) trade with each other;
give a small bonus to every inland city for every port in the same province;
give a bonus to a city for every province outside of its own that it's connected to;
Best of all, after the initial set-up, it need only be modified when new cities appear, and changes in case of shifting alliances or upgraded cities are very easy.

We need to decide on a density limit - I'm thinking 50-75 km between cities.

Also, I'm thinking for ships we can have fleets - one unit that can transport 1000 men, costs 500, and costs 75 gold to maintain, and double that when in the open water. For battle, I propose simply adding together the number of fleets for each side, roll a dice and add that number to each side, and whoever's got the highest number wins.

Enemy ports - can they be blockaded?

If you guys don't mind, I'm going to advertise the game a bit to get a couple new players.

All right then...if you descendants of the evil Romans insist! We have warned you against this attempt to Romanized the whole Europe! Prepare to be crushed by our mighty and gallant warriors!

Soooooooo...where do you want to be? We've got a nice bit of space in the south of Italy.

CR

Caius
05-25-2007, 21:02
I want to be the Gaul confederation of tribes(or Aeduii)

Crazed Rabbit
05-25-2007, 22:12
So, caius, somewhere in Northwest Italy?

I think I'm going to be Venice.

CR

CountArach
05-25-2007, 22:23
Those two would certainly even the map out.

Caius
05-25-2007, 23:49
Add me please in the map

EDIT:Troops must be changed.I suggest:

Archers / Forester Warband
Velites / Skirmishers
Hastati - Princeps - Triarii / Warband - Swordmen - 2 handed Swordmen
Equites / Cavalry

Crazed Rabbit
05-26-2007, 00:33
I don't know how much value there is in complicating troop names. If the details are going to stay the same, why not just let different players call their archers velites or infantry triarii?

Here's the newest map:
https://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7104/italyrocstartkn9.jpg

And what the excel economics sheet looks like:
https://img455.imageshack.us/img455/193/excelgn8.jpg

Crazed Rabbit
(illyrians slightly changed to be more like RTR (I think))

pevergreen
05-26-2007, 00:58
Its awsome!

With the map we have, thats about as close as you can get CR, thank you :bow:

I think it is worthwhile, to enrich the combat system having tiers of units. Archers Tier 1, Archers Tier 2. With some pre-determined bonuses. And maybe Civilisation Bonuses? Rome gets a plus to infantry etc?

Just putting it out there.

Crazed Rabbit
05-26-2007, 01:20
Its awsome!

With the map we have, thats about as close as you can get CR, thank you
Glad to be of service.

Just putting it out there.
It'd be nice, but real hard to keep track of and apply. Even with my excel-fu, keeping track of economics, specifically new cities, is going to be a pain.

And it would be hard to balance civilization bonuses. For this game, I think we should just go with the basic military system we have.

I think we should restrict the white-capped alps from settlement and travel.

Also we're still waiting for Tran to choose a civilization (or rather, a landing spot for his norsemen).

EDIT: Update The excel spreadsheet - where the workload is very front heavy, is done (yay!) and ready for the first turn. Adding new cities should take only a couple minutes per city and give complete info on the tax rate for that city. It also has the benefit of showing how much trade a nation derives from each other nation,

Also, I think once Tran chooses a spot we should be near ready to go.

Finally, please be sure to name your cities when you found them, and tell everyone those names. It will make it much, much easier for me. Thanks!

Crazed Rabbit

seireikhaan
05-26-2007, 02:55
Wow, great job, CR! Also, I think you can change your sig, Omanes' been dead for a while now.

Caius
05-26-2007, 03:24
Meh, I play too.

Tran
05-26-2007, 03:28
Caius, I assume my PM to you is...useless? :embarassed:

Caius
05-26-2007, 03:31
Sorry, but yes

CountArach
05-26-2007, 03:40
Nice job CR! :2thumbsup:

Crazed Rabbit
05-26-2007, 03:53
Thanks for all the compliments guys!

I hope you're still playing! Southern Italy beckons to your longships.

EDIT: For the kings of Illyria, Etruscans, and Gaul, I need names for your cities, unless you want them to be Illyria, Etruscan, and Gaul.

Economics Explanation:
For each trading partner, a city receives an extra 5% of it's base tax in revenue. Trading partners are worth 5% more trade for:
-each city in the same province,
-for every port city in the game if the city is a port,
-for each allied province connected to the province which contains the city,
-for every city within a certain distance (if not in the same province, or counted as a sea trading partner)
So, a city could get a bonus for being next to an allied province, and be close enough to get more trade with one or two cities in that province.
-And each inland city gets an extra 2.5% for each port city in the same province.

For example, in the latest map, Rome has 7 trading partners - six other port cities in the world, and they are close enough to the inland city of Perugia to trade with it. The same goes for Etruscan (dark purple).

Gaul, however, trades with the six other port cities in the world, but is not close enough to trade with Perugia and so does not, and had only 6 trading partners.

Finally, I'm going with Lucjan's measure of a province being at least three and no more than five cities.

CR

Tran
05-26-2007, 04:07
I hope you're still playing! Southern Italy beckons to your longships.
All right. Actually I'd prefer to start at Trieste and play as Slovenia, if that's possible.

EDIT: If it's possible, I'll start at Cagliari and play as Sardinia.

pevergreen
05-26-2007, 04:18
Starting City will be Illyria.

Crazed Rabbit
05-26-2007, 04:25
Completely possible:
https://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2112/italyrocstartkd4.jpg

Good choice, pevergreen.

Crazed Rabbit

Tran
05-26-2007, 04:53
Nice, now I know everytime there's fleet getting close to Sardinia mean it's going to invade my precious territory!

By the way: We Sardinians claimed Corsica as part of our integrated territory and any attempt to colonise the island is subject to our permission. Trespassers will be executed.

Crazed Rabbit
05-26-2007, 06:14
I dub thee Sapi II. You know, it could just be a fleet traveling to wage war on Rome or Carthage.

But he brings up a good point; Caius, what will the fog of war be? 50, 100, 200km? Somewhere in between?

CR

Ignoramus
05-26-2007, 10:09
Tran, may I suggest you change your city's name to either Nora or Caralis? It would fit the timeframe more.

And perhaps Venice might want to change their name to the Venetii. Again, it's a minor change, but it really adds to the immersion of the game.

The Etruscan city could be Veii. I did know their actual capital, but it's slipped my mind.

Great map! This game is going to be great.

Tran
05-26-2007, 13:07
Tran, may I suggest you change your city's name to either Nora or Caralis? It would fit the timeframe more.
Correction: Nora is a completely different town and not Cagliari. If my city name needed to be changed, then it would be either Karalis (the Carthaginian name) or Caralis (the Roman name). Either one which best fit the period.

Oh and @Caius: It was a joke :laugh4:

Ignoramus
05-26-2007, 13:19
I know that Nora and Caralis were different towns, though I must admit, I didn't phrase that sentence that well.

Caius
05-26-2007, 15:33
I want my city called Segesta.

seireikhaan
05-26-2007, 15:58
So is there going to be naval warfare? Or is there no way to stop enemies from sending over troops via boats?

Orb
05-26-2007, 16:52
The hour grows late...
But can I join anyway?

I'd optimally (if I'm allowed to, and I completely understand if not) go for Tarentum/Taras in southern Italy.

'EDIT:Troops must be changed.I suggest:

Archers / Forester Warband
Velites / Skirmishers
Hastati - Princeps - Triarii / Warband - Swordmen - 2 handed Swordmen
Equites / Cavalry'

Why complicate it needlessly (and inaccurately, for that matter :p).

If you want something 'realistic', then you'd get. (and) if I were going to add in Greeks, then:

And then to add Carthaginians on the end...

Sagittarii/Sotaroas/Toxotai
Velites/ Lugoae/ Akontistai/Lubim Mesooriam
Hastati-Principes-Triarii / Boatroas-Arjos-Gaesatae / Hoplitai/Deuteroi/Pezhetaroi/Lubim Mesooriam Anatim- Dorkim Lubim-Ponnim Mesooriam...
Equites/Epos/Hippeis

Essentially, in the game, each fulfils the same function anyway, adding different names for different factions isn't really needed.

Crazed Rabbit
05-26-2007, 17:17
Well, I proposed:

Also, I'm thinking for ships we can have fleets - one unit that can transport 1000 men, costs 500 gold, and costs 75 gold to maintain, and double that when in the open water. For battle, I propose simply adding together the number of fleets for each side, roll a dice for each player and add that number to each side, and whoever's got the highest number wins.

I'm thinking a slightly different plan now-
-Combat progresses in rounds, and each ship on each side gets a chance to attack before losses for that round are calculated.
-You roll a six sided dice for every fleet in an armada. For every five and six rolled by a ship, the other Armada loses a fleet. Before those loses are calculated, however, the other Armada's fleets get a chance to roll.
-The side that loses 50% of it's original ships in one round, or 70% through several rounds, will be defeated and retreat.

What happens if two fleets destroy 50+% of each other in one round?
The Armada with the largest remaining forces wins.

What if both defeated Armadas have the same size fleets?
There is a draw.

For example: Roman Armada vs Carthaginian Armada.
-The Romans have 3 fleets, the Carthaginians 5 fleets.
-The three roman fleets roll a 6, a 5, and another 6.
So, they have destroyed half the Carthaginian fleet, but the Carthaginians still get to attack, and still have a good chance of winning, as they need only destroy two Roman ships to win.
-The Carthaginian fleets roll a 4, 3, 2, 5, 1
-This means they only destroy one Roman fleet before being defeated.
-The Roman Armada has 2 fleets now, and the Carthaginians have 2 fleets also.

If the Roman Armada was advancing, it will continue to do so on to it's movement limit for the turn. The Carthaginians will fall back and to the side, out of the way.

If the Roman fleet was defending, they will hold position, and the Carthaginian fleet will fall back in the direction they came from.

Don't know what others want, but I think this is a good proposal.

EDIT: I'm down with Orb joining if Caius allows it.

And perhaps Venice might want to change their name to the Venetii.
What, change our names to the Roman Oppression name? We've not yet been conquered, thank you! ~;p

CR

Caius
05-26-2007, 17:31
Sure.More heads to coll...

Ehmm, yes, you can join

Crazed Rabbit
05-26-2007, 17:39
Caius approves, so here it is:
https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1707/italyrocstartld8.jpg

EDIT: Dang, time to update the spreadsheet. Orb, what do you want your nation's name to be?

Crazed Rabbit

Caius
05-26-2007, 17:40
I think we are ready...

Crazed Rabbit
05-26-2007, 18:22
Sounds good. Should we have our first orders in to you by next Friday, and use the week to discuss diplomacy and whatnot?

A couple quick questions - what do you think of my naval warfare suggestions?
How large is the movement radius going to be? 250km as in RoC1 or something a bit smaller, like 200km?
How much money do we start with? 7500, as before?

How much of a defense bonus do castles provide?

The spreadsheet has been updated, so no new nations.

Good luck with managing everything Caius.

Huzzah! :knight:

Crazed Rabbit

Orb
05-26-2007, 19:47
Nation should be 'Epeiros'

Tran
05-27-2007, 00:17
I'll just accept any rules as long as it benefit the people of Sandalyon or Sharden (like what the Phoenicians called, or what the Greek called Hyknousa or Ichnusa). ~;) :bow:

OOC: I don't know what's the correct old name for Sardinia at the period :laugh4:

Here is the map of our territory:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/48/Sardinia_satellite.jpg/428px-Sardinia_satellite.jpg

We welcome people from everywhere, especially our neighbors, to trade with us. However, don't use this opportunity to make incursion into our island, or the punishment and retaliation will be sever. For security measure, any ships known to approach the island (including trading ship), within area close to the island as shown on the map, is subject to our inspection.

Caius
05-27-2007, 01:09
If someone wants to be the Gauls friends, just talk to the leader.

Crazed Rabbit
05-27-2007, 02:21
I'm assuming that everyone is going to trade with everyone to start out, unless specifically stated otherwise.

CR

Caius
05-27-2007, 02:28
Yes, like Lucjan game

And congrats in the promotion!

Twilightblade
05-27-2007, 02:32
Wow looks like the etruscans, perusians and romans will either destroy each other very quickly or ally with each other

Tran
05-27-2007, 02:33
I'm assuming that everyone is going to trade with everyone to start out, unless specifically stated otherwise.

CR
Yes, that'll be good. And congrats too for...what, Caius? What promotion? :rolleyes5: :dizzy2:

Anyway, can you list all the players and their starting city? It's kinda confusing reading post after post...

Twilightblade
05-27-2007, 02:33
Wait am I the etruscans I seem to remember something about etruscans and me

CountArach
05-27-2007, 02:37
Yes, yes you are.

seireikhaan
05-27-2007, 02:45
Indeed, it will be interesting to watch what happens with Central Italy. I will be going to grab some popcorn for the show.

Also, any who wish to speak with Carthaginian people, please consult the emmisary of the Grand General, Hannibal.

Twilightblade
05-27-2007, 02:47
Ahhh I shall now check the map again and see how I am to survive

Crazed Rabbit
05-27-2007, 02:57
A list of players and countries:

CountArach..................Rome
Twilightblade................Etruscans
Faust..........................Umbria
Pevergreen..................Illyria
Ignoramus...................Syracuse
GreaterKhan................Carthage
Crazed Rabbit..............Venice
Caius Flaminius.............Gaul
Tran...........................Sardinia
Orb............................Epeiros

Indeed, it will be interesting to watch what happens with Central Italy.
I guess the question is; who's going to be the saxons?

Crazed Rabbit

Caius
05-27-2007, 03:09
CR one, Tran.

I think we have 1 more slot.We can wait a few days, untill we discuss the surrender of everyone.

Tran
05-27-2007, 03:18
Caius approves, so here it is:
https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1707/italyrocstartld8.jpg

A list of players and countries:

CountArach..................Rome
Twilightblade................Etruscan: Etruscans
Faust..........................Perugia: Umbria
Pevergreen..................Illyria
Ignoramus...................Syracuse
GreaterKhan................Carthage
Crazed Rabbit..............Venice
Caius Flaminius.............Segesta: Gaul
Tran...........................Karalis: Sardinia (Sandalyon)
Orb............................Taras: Epeiros
Fixed that for easier spot on map (am I correct?) :grin:

Crazed Rabbit
05-27-2007, 03:34
And congrats in the promotion!

Thanks!

Fixed that for easier spot on map (am I correct?)

Well, looks fine, if not that different, to me.

And now, a map of borders that really has no significance, but looks pretty:
https://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2739/italyrocstartpu7.jpg
(In fact, I might increase the border range)

CR

seireikhaan
05-27-2007, 03:40
Ok, a couple of things. First of all, who do we send orders to? Caius or Rabbit? Second of all, is there any way we could reduce the maintenance on ships a wee bit? It'll be EXTREMELY expensive to try and maintain a massive fleet(Gee, can't imagine why I would be pointing that out). Third, do all of our capitals start at one? If not, what?

Tran
05-27-2007, 04:09
I'll add the fourth question. When you're besieging enemy castle or city, do you need to bring siege engines to be able to destroy the walls, gates, and invade the city? Or is it perhaps "irrelevant" for the city and castle of the period?

Crazed Rabbit
05-27-2007, 04:49
First of all, who do we send orders to? Caius or Rabbit?

Caius. He can tell me where the new cities will go - he doesn't have to tell me what level they are, economically - I can set up the new spreadsheet and all he has to do is enter the base tax rate. Or if you guys want I could do that too, but then I'd have to know the economic level of your cities.

Second of all, is there any way we could reduce the maintenance on ships a wee bit? It'll be EXTREMELY expensive to try and maintain a massive fleet(Gee, can't imagine why I would be pointing that out).

Well, one fleet only costs as much as 200 cavalry to support. I suppose we could cut it down a bit (60/120 support costs for in port and out of port?), but one fleet will transport 1000 soldiers.

What do you guys want? 60/120 or 55/110 might be better.

Third, do all of our capitals start at one? If not, what?

I think they start at three, or 600 gold per turn base taxes.

When you're besieging enemy castle or city, do you need to bring siege engines to be able to destroy the walls, gates, and invade the city? Or is it perhaps "irrelevant" for the city and castle of the period?

No, if we're going by Lucjan's rules, though I think cities confer some sort of defensive bonus.

Crazed Rabbit

seireikhaan
05-27-2007, 16:12
Oh, one more thing. Can I upgrade a city's economic level the same turn that I found it? Or do I have to wait till the next turn?

Also, if we have the funds to do so, can we upgrade a city's economic level multiple times per turn? For instance, taking a city from a 2 to a 4 in one turn.

Crazed Rabbit
05-27-2007, 16:59
If we're going by Lucjan's rules, you can found a city and upgrade it to level five in one turn.

CR

Caius
05-27-2007, 16:59
Oh, one more thing. Can I upgrade a city's economic level the same turn that I found it? Or do I have to wait till the next turn?

Also, if we have the funds to do so, can we upgrade a city's economic level multiple times per turn? For instance, taking a city from a 2 to a 4 in one turn.
You can do it in the same turn

Gah!CR beaten Caius

Crazed Rabbit
05-27-2007, 17:18
So should we make navy support costs 60 gold per turn per fleet while that fleet spends the turn in one of your ports, and 120 gold per turn when that fleet is sailing around?
Or 55/110 gold per turn?

What do you guys think?

CR

seireikhaan
05-27-2007, 17:27
Vote: 55/110

Orb
05-27-2007, 17:30
Vote: 60/120

Crazed Rabbit
05-27-2007, 17:56

Crazed Rabbit

pevergreen
05-28-2007, 01:13

Crazed Rabbit
:bow: (same)

CountArach
05-28-2007, 05:35
55/110

Bandwagon!

seireikhaan
05-28-2007, 06:07
Sorry, CA, but until you submit your vote in the Vote: X format, we will not be able to count your vote.:no:

CountArach
05-28-2007, 06:38

Ahh! The voting period had not ended!

Ignoramus
05-28-2007, 08:17
I agree with the others. Fleets played a significant role in ancient warfare, especially in the Mediterranean. Therefore, it is logical to reduce the cost of upkeep.

Vote: 55/120

Twilightblade
05-28-2007, 11:09
Vote 55/110
with the upkeep of the navy and army it seems more logical to keep them to a fair amount and really its not that much smaller anyway

Tran
05-28-2007, 12:16
Vote: Orb
Okay, I think we've enough votes. Lynch him it! :whip:

seireikhaan
05-29-2007, 23:59
Voting has been closed. 55/110 has been lynched. Writeup will be posted soon.

Tran
05-30-2007, 01:53
...who do we send orders to? Caius or Rabbit?...
Vote: Crazed Rabbit (basically, supporting CR)

Reasons:
1. Had been very helpful so far
2. Had been very and more enthusiast
3. Faster than CF ~;)
4. Is a more senior member :grin:

Beside, didn't CF said in other thread (MM I think) that he will be busy with many school tasks, homework, and others life activity? I guess CR has more free time ~;)

Caius
05-30-2007, 02:31
Anyway, I have weekends...

Well, vote now!
Vote:The Bald Diplomat

seireikhaan
05-30-2007, 02:38
Vote: Wascally Wabbit. No offense, Caius. CR's just done an outstanding job so far.

CountArach
05-30-2007, 04:47
Agreed, another Vote: Crazed Rabbit, IF he is willing to take the role. If not, I have no problems with CF.

Crazed Rabbit
05-30-2007, 05:11
Uh, I have to
Vote: Caius Flaminius.

He's organized this second game, and he's running it. I don't want to steal his thunder. Also, I don't want the weight of knowing what you are all doing and then having to decide what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the support, but really all I've done is put together a spreadsheet and a couple pictures.

CR

CountArach
05-30-2007, 10:36
Unvote, Vote: Caius Flaminius

Twilightblade
05-30-2007, 10:55
So when's this actually going to start? anyone got any ideas?

seireikhaan
05-30-2007, 13:28
In that case, I'll respect CR's wishes and unvote: CR.

Vote: Caius Flaminius

Also, I believe the game's already started, we should be on turn one.

Caius
05-30-2007, 16:57
In that case, I'll respect CR's wishes and unvote: CR.

Vote: Caius Flaminius

Also, I believe the game's already started, we should be on turn one.
How can we start if I dont have any PMS?

Pms need to be sent.Everyone send yours

seireikhaan
05-30-2007, 18:43
Ok, mine's sent. Everyone give Captain Rogaine your orders!

Caius
05-30-2007, 23:43
I have 3 pm's at:

19:40 PM GMT -3

I'll give you 2 days for sending turns

pevergreen
05-30-2007, 23:47
You got mine and TB's?

Caius
05-30-2007, 23:51
You got mine and TB's?
Yup.

Also, gkaan one.

Tran
05-31-2007, 00:00
I'll send mine soon, after...

Unvote, Vote: Abstain :bow:

CountArach
05-31-2007, 09:12
How much money do we start with?

pevergreen
05-31-2007, 09:33
7500 from memory

CountArach
06-02-2007, 09:01
Any official word?

Tran
06-02-2007, 09:23
I can only hope this one doesn't end up like Lucjan's...

Ignoramus
06-02-2007, 11:05
If you need help Caius, we'll be only too happy to assist.

Caius
06-02-2007, 17:56
Any official word?
Yes, now that I wake up.
I guess we have all the the Pms.I'll make my own spreadsheet, since CR didnt send me his spreadsheet.

Gimme a sec.Im checking Pm's

EDIT:Pms received

CountArach..................Rome...done!
Twilightblade................Etruscans...done!
Faust..........................Umbria...done!
Pevergreen..................Illyria...done!
Ignoramus...................Syracuse...done!
GreaterKhaan................Carthage...done!
Crazed Rabbit..............Venice...done!
Caius Flaminius.............Gaul...done!
Tran...........................Sardinia...done!
Orb............................Epeiros...done!

seireikhaan
06-02-2007, 18:16
Hey, Caius. This is nothing real major, but could you kindly spell my name correctly? It's spelled greaterkhaan, not greaterkhan. Thanks in advance. Also, thanks for your efforts in reviving the game.

Orb
06-02-2007, 18:20
Very sorry. I got something done a day or two ago and lost it when the forum stopped working briefly.

Crazed Rabbit
06-02-2007, 18:31
Oh, sorry Caius. I thought I had replied to your message with an inquiry about your email, but I just realized I hadn't. I see your email on your profile, so I'll send the spreadsheet to you in an hour or so (I need to do a bit of editing).

Crazed Rabbit

Orb
06-02-2007, 18:35
Sent now.

Crazed Rabbit
06-02-2007, 19:40
Caius, I'm getting an error message with the email listed in your profile (perhaps because it's listed under IM), but I will send you the file as soon as you PM me your email.

Also, I'll mail the file to anyone else interested in it, if you give me your email.

CR
EDIT: Sent now.

Caius
06-02-2007, 19:41
Nmd.I goit it.

I think everything is ok now.So, I think we are able to start when I make the map

CountArach
06-02-2007, 22:23
I never sent a PM, because I don't know how much money we have.

Caius
06-02-2007, 22:45
Oh!

7500 is the starting amount for everyone.

seireikhaan
06-02-2007, 23:00
Uhhhmmmm, Ok. This is really odd. I went through the thread rereading everything and I noticed something wasn't quite right at one point. On page 5, and only page 5, some of the posts are in Spanish!(I think). When ever anyone was quoting someone, it says something along the lines of "originalement publicado por 'personX'". All of the other pages say "originally posted by 'personX'", as they should, since my settings are for english. Anyone else noticing this? And how's this happen anyway?

Caius
06-02-2007, 23:01
And how's this happen anyway?
Because I'm Spanish.

CountArach
06-02-2007, 23:38
Yes, that doesn't get translated. It goes in the language of whoever pressed quote.

Caius
06-02-2007, 23:40
Yes, that doesn't get translated. It goes in the language of whoever pressed quote.
send your PM now!

seireikhaan
06-02-2007, 23:53

How come its only on page 5, then? I'm a little confused as to why its only happening on page 5 and none of the others.

And I can't believe I never noticed this before. Jeez, I must be even denser than I thought!

CountArach
06-03-2007, 00:14
That's a good point. Why only there?

Tran
06-03-2007, 00:19
khaan and CA...it's a Spanish...or should I say, Gaulish conspiracy! Crush them all!!! :charge: :charge:

Faust|
06-03-2007, 00:19
So what's the movement distance?

seireikhaan
06-03-2007, 00:29
I'm thinking it was 200 km, IIRC. I think we lowered it from the 250 km that it was in Lucjan's first game, due to the much smaller map.

Crazed Rabbit
06-03-2007, 00:50
So has everyone but CountArach sent in their PMs to Caius?

CA, if you could CC me your PM when you send that in, I can complete the spreadsheet and new map that much faster.

Caius, I'm almost done with the spreadsheet, but I'm going to wait for CA's orders before finishing it. Working pretty well. Right now all the new cities have been assigned a base tax of 200, you can change that once you get it.

EDIT: Movement is 200km, IIRC.

Crazed Rabbit

CountArach
06-03-2007, 00:56
I sent it to Caius, but I will send it to you now.

Crazed Rabbit
06-03-2007, 03:10
Okay, the new map and spreadsheet are done! Yay!

CR

seireikhaan
06-03-2007, 03:24
So...are we going to get the results of the turn, then?

Caius
06-03-2007, 03:54
Not yet.2 things to do

seireikhaan
06-03-2007, 05:08
Ahh, Ok. Sorry if I seemed impatient.

Crazed Rabbit
06-03-2007, 18:37
Okay, here's a new rule, for my sanity;
Please, please specify what direction and/or where you want your city built. Just something like '100 km to the west of city X' or whatever.
Thank you.

Also, I was a bit early in regards to saying the spreadsheet and map were done. The map is - I think - done, and the spreadsheet should be done somewhat soon. But don't rush Caius - he's got to send out PMs to everyone and write up the report, you know.

CR

Caius
06-03-2007, 21:24
Ok.

I think we are done.
Im updating the spreadsheet, since there isnt any military part.Then, I'll send PM's,and this will start.

Crazed Rabbit
06-03-2007, 22:37
New (and hopefully final version for this turn) map sent to you - I accidentally sent the wrong one first, so double check the one you download.

Crazed Rabbit

Caius
06-04-2007, 21:25
Let me revise the military part, and I think we are starting...

Damn, poor Lucjan, how did he to manage to run this game?

Twilightblade
06-05-2007, 02:19

I dunno

Crazed Rabbit
06-05-2007, 05:19

Mate, you can revise the military during the turn (with suggestions from the audience, hurray!). Don't worry about solving it before doing the turn report.

Crazed Rabbit

Caius
06-05-2007, 19:22
Well, If I could have more free space in my PM box i think i should store my messages.Now I have to clean it.

Dont expect this game start right now.

Tran
06-05-2007, 23:45
I have a bad feeling about this...

pevergreen
06-05-2007, 23:48
If CF doesnt have the time to continue, pass it on to CR?

Caius
06-06-2007, 01:47
Well, I think I'll need more time, and I dont know where im going to have that time.
CR can continue it.If he wants.If he doesnt want, we can play it more slower, but the host will remain.

Crazed Rabbit
06-06-2007, 01:53
Well, If I could have more free space in my PM box i think i should store my messages.Now I have to clean it.

Dont expect this game start right now.

You can download and save PMs as text files, you know. I'd think 75 PMs would be enough to send messages for this game.

If CF doesnt have the time to continue, pass it on to CR?

I suppose I could, if necessary. *sighs*

EDIT: How many days/weeks per turn would you need, Caius?

CR

Faust|
06-06-2007, 02:16
Hmm, I think a mass simplification of the military system (---> one generic unit type) and province system (---> no provinces :laugh4: ) is in order. Also the ships will be a nightmare. You could say that any army may move over a body of water with the stipulation that if an army does so during a turn, it moves at 1/2 speed for that whole turn. A nice addition might be that the losing army of a naval battle is completely lost (the fleet being scattered or forced to turn back).

On the other hand I think a rule such as "an enemy that loses a battle against two armies which have approached from different directions (90 degrees difference at least) is completely lost" could make the game more interesting.

I think limiting a nation to a certain number of armies based on how many cities it has would be helpful and also more fun. For example, you could say if a nation has 1-4 cities it is limited to 2 armies; 5-8 cities: 3 armies; etc...

Also I don't see the need to have 3 phases for each battle. I'd think this would be painstaking to do. I would say rolling 3 dice at once in a single phase to make moderate results more likely would suffice.

I personally think these minor modifications would make the system somewhat more interesting (strangely enough), but also much more easy to manage.

Crazed Rabbit
06-06-2007, 02:45
I personally think these minor modifications would make the system somewhat more interesting (strangely enough), but also much more easy to manage.

Errmmm...
I kinda like it the way it is.

Crazed Rabbit

pevergreen
06-06-2007, 07:40
the combat system is not hard. Its the keeping track of everything and the borders, along with precise locations.

Faust|
06-06-2007, 16:57
the combat system is not hard. Its the keeping track of everything and the borders, along with precise locations.

pevergreen
06-06-2007, 23:30
Where cities are, where the borders reach to. Thats the hard part of this.

Tran
06-07-2007, 10:41
I think Faust was trying to push the game to his own advantage...:inquisitive:

Faust|
06-07-2007, 18:50
I think Faust was trying to push the game to his own advantage...:inquisitive:

Are you serious? I was giving suggestions to make it less of a burden to manage. Also less of a burden for players to keep track of their units. If you try to think of the implications of the rules I stated you'll see exactly what I intended.

Tran
06-08-2007, 08:58
Are you serious?
You know I am...not :grin2:

My most concern is actually whether this game will actually start and run normally...or will it end up like Lucjan's...sooner?

Crazed Rabbit
06-08-2007, 15:32
Caius, where are you?

Crazed Rabbit

Caius
06-08-2007, 23:09
Caius, where are you?

Crazed Rabbit
I'm here.
School was delaying me.Give me time.

Crazed Rabbit
06-09-2007, 04:12
Glad to hear it, mate.:2thumbsup:

CR

Caius
06-09-2007, 18:24
And now...

Starting now!

The map is this:

https://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1623/italyrocturn2mg5.jpg

Sending Pm's asap.Will take more minutes as I'm deleting Pms to send the orders...

CountArach
06-09-2007, 22:40
*Sits back and calmly watched what is going on in Central-Italy*

Oh wait! I'm in it!

*Assembles the troops*

Motep
06-10-2007, 05:30
Is there a way i can join this thing?

...poor italians...they dont have the antidote. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :cheesy:

Caius
06-10-2007, 17:20
Im not sure...

Everyone doesnt have the turns.Sorry, Im trying to make the turns.

seireikhaan
06-11-2007, 01:22
*Sits back and calmly watched what is going on in Central-Italy*

Oh wait! I'm in it!

*Assembles the troops*

*Sits back and calmly watches what is going on in Central Italy*

Haha, entertainment!

*Grabs the popcorn and skittles*

Twilightblade
06-11-2007, 03:30
Hey my capital isn't bolded...Even Taras is bolded and its the only city in it's area.

*Sits back and watches what is going on in Central Italy*
*Sees whats happening*
*Hides under bed*

pevergreen
06-11-2007, 10:19
[Laughs at number of asterixs]
[Laughs at Italy]
[Laughs to see if TB will pick up what im doing...]
pretty funny stuff in italy.

Motep
06-12-2007, 06:30
*Sits back and calmly watches what is going on in Central Italy*

Haha, entertainment!

*Grabs the popcorn and skittles*

Share, damn you!! :furious3:

Anyways, I will not join that nice little mess in Italy when i have a whack at it.

*Looks at pevergreen*
*Looks at Central Italy*
*Looks back at Pever*
*:fainting: *

Orb
06-12-2007, 11:16
So, if you're all building cities with that gold you have...

How big are your armies :evil:

pevergreen
06-12-2007, 12:01
200 Inf
400 Missiles
1000 Cav

:evilgrin:

Orb
06-12-2007, 12:12
*rofl*

Crazed Rabbit
06-13-2007, 02:05
So, if you're all building cities with that gold you have...

How big are your armies :evil:

How large is your navy?

CR

Ignoramus
06-13-2007, 02:44
I haven't received a PM from CF detailing my forces and income.

CountArach
06-13-2007, 05:06
Same.

pevergreen
06-13-2007, 10:10
Illyria sits back on her solid gold throne and titters at the pitiful requests of this mere serfs.

Illyria also requests that the skittles may be passed her way, as she quite enjoys them.

Motep
06-13-2007, 18:18
Illyria sits back on her solid gold throne and titters at the pitiful requests of this mere serfs.

Illyria also requests that the skittles may be passed her way, as she quite enjoys them.

And I still didnt get any skittles yet, you obnoxious lump! Lord motep Demands skittles, and will get them by force, if need be!

(:grin2: )

seireikhaan
06-14-2007, 00:56

And I still didnt get any skittles yet, you obnoxious lump! Lord motep Demands skittles, and will get them by force, if need be!

*Mutters to self in Gollem voice*

No! The Precious is ours! Filthys Hobbitses trying to take our Precious! We must kill them before they steals it!

Motep
06-14-2007, 01:52
I am not A Hobbit! I am a Kender. There is a difference. Now, if you don't mind...*snatches skittles and runs for the door* Hahaha! The skittles are mine!!

-:wacky:

pevergreen
06-14-2007, 07:52
What a blasted ruffian! He has run off with thy skittles. Etruscia! Fetch them for me if thy would please.

Motep
06-14-2007, 07:56
What a blasted ruffian! He has run off with thy skittles. Etruscia! Fetch them for me if thy would please.

"You shall never find me!", Motep foolishly exclaims as he stands in the doorway, devouring the skittles with an unheard of fervor. "Bwahahahahahaha!"

pevergreen
06-14-2007, 08:00
Illyria protests and points out the fact that with 13.5 grams of skittles in ones mouth, it becomes nigh immpossible to chew. One hops that with a few hundred grams in one Moteps mouth that he will choke to death. Good day. :laugh4:

Motep
06-14-2007, 08:06
"Butch you shee, I dids notch eatch the...*gulp*...entire bag in one swallow." Motep blabbered through a mouth filled to the brim with the holy junk food, as he stood in the doorway grinning like a fool. :grin2:

CountArach
06-14-2007, 08:51
Rome sits and ponders what happened to rational conversation.

seireikhaan
06-14-2007, 19:49
Rome sits and ponders what happened to rational conversation.

*Still in Gollem mode*

It is the filthy hobbitses fault! The Hobbitses stole our precious!

*Sneaks up behind Motep and slays him, reclaiming the precious.

seireikhaan
06-14-2007, 19:51
On a more serious note, does anyone perhaps know where Caius has been? I don't think he's been on in a while, as a PM I sent him a few days ago hasn't yet been read. Does he perhaps have semester exams coming up?

Orb
06-14-2007, 20:18
PHAXO SKITELLAS SOUS!

(I will eat your skittles)

Motep
06-14-2007, 21:21
"Ow!" Motep groans as he awakes from his death induced slumber. "He...he took my skittles! Ah well...the bag was empty anyways..." He ataggered off to find the queen, as she always has a decent supply of the good.

As for Caius, I have no clue where he is. He might even be using his time wisely for all we know.

Tran
06-15-2007, 03:10
On a more serious note, does anyone perhaps know where Caius has been? I don't think he's been on in a while, as a PM I sent him a few days ago hasn't yet been read.
Same.

Caius
06-15-2007, 18:45
As for Caius, I have no clue where he is. He might even be using his time wisely for all we know.

Ah guys!

Im very sorry, Im punished(the shame!the shame!)

I was able to send just 3 PMs

I am not able to continue, I just want to say sorry.

Crazed Rabbit
06-15-2007, 19:51
Well...

I suppose I could take up the running of the game.

Several questions for our members:
Caius - if I took over, would you still be able to play as a regular player, or not at all (meaning your cities would go away).

Also - for the general players, if I took over, would it be better for me to be the gamemaster only and not a player? That way, I wouldn't have such an advantage in knowing all the wheelings and dealings and army recruitment and movement in the map.

Were it decided I was going to take over, I would lay out the following rule changes (though I don't think we decided on them yet):
Cities get a 2 to 5% defense bonus per level (ie a defense bonus of 10 to 25% for level 5 cities, depending on what you guys want)

Castles come in three levels, each can garrison 4,000 men and defense bonuses are as follows: 25%, 35%, 45% (ie, level three castle in level four city: 45+8= 53% defensive bonus)

Combat will stay as Lucjan created it, at least for now ( I'm assuming it ran pretty well, but I haven't any experience with it).

Also, cities cannot be built closer than 50km, and the fog of war will be 150km.

Crazed Rabbit

seireikhaan
06-15-2007, 20:03
Crazed Rabbit: I would hope that you would continue playing as a regular player. I trust you to not abuse your position of power. I think the changes you've layed out are pretty acceptable, though I still think we should get everyone else's opinion on it. Also, if Caius can't continue playing, we could let Motep take over his little backwater of the world,erhg, i mean Empire.*Cough*

Motep
06-15-2007, 20:18
Hey! the only thing I have in this game is a bag of skittles!

My Nation shall be fictional, The Kender Empire. The Capital shall be KenderMoore, which shall be in northern Corsica.

Orb
06-15-2007, 20:27
I'm in full agreement with CR taking over. I like the city/castle changes. I'm OK with him continuing as a player, and I also like the FOW/city limitations notion.

Crazed Rabbit
06-15-2007, 20:35
Well, so far I will add Motep to Corsica, perhaps replacing Caius (in the economic spreadsheet), but he will be one turn behind the rest of us.

He will, however, have 8500 gold to start with.

If the rest of you guys are okay with me running this, please send a copy of your orders you sent to Caius to me.

You don't need to send a copy if you: did nothing or only built (and did not upgrade) cities.

But I think most people upgraded cities or raised troops.

Let's see - I should only need a spreadsheet or two more to keep track of army strengths and locations.

Crazed Rabbit

Motep
06-15-2007, 20:42
My turn has been sent.

CountArach
06-15-2007, 22:46
I trust you CR. Just make sure you do your turn before anyone send theirs in to you.

Crazed Rabbit
06-16-2007, 00:07
Ya, I'm going to decide what to do before I view your turns (For resending in the first turn PMs, it won't be a problem). The problem is I'll still know what you did the turn before, but I'll try to do my best to not let extra knowledge influence my actions.

To help, please put 'Question' or something in non-order PMs.

EDIT: More clarifications - each fleet (costs 500, upkeep 55 or 110 a turn) can carry 2000 men, or 1000 cav.

Castle costs - 1000 gold for each level. I'm thinking perhaps it should cost a bit more. Ideas?

Crazed Rabbit

Crazed Rabbit
06-16-2007, 00:53
Double post - Sorry.

But I've got a question for all you guys-

Right now I'm thinking training new soldiers means you can't move those soldiers around the turn they're hired- that is, you couldn't hire them and move them 100km, but you could move them next turn. Like a training time.

Or, we could treat soldiers more like mercenaries, where you can hire them and move them the whole 200km the same turn.

Which way do you guys want to go?

Crazed Rabbit