PDA

View Full Version : A World to Play In!

Bwian
05-19-2007, 08:12
It's not finished, but Casuir sent me this today, and I figured it would have been mean of me not to share it! It's a work in progress, and we are mulling over some of the region balancing, but it gives a very clear picture of the area we are covering.

https://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8578/factionszh0.png

The Chaos factions have not been divided into their relative areas, and a few other factions need more/less regions and a bit of tweaking, but it is a quality piece of work that Casuir has been slaving over for weeks... and it looks pretty damn impressive!

Oh..yes...and it is more than just a pretty picture...it works in game too.

Krazysigmarite
05-19-2007, 08:50
Outstanding. That map is unbelievable!

Ciaran
05-19-2007, 09:41
:2thumbsup: A working campaign map is, in my opinion, the best start any conversion mod can have - most go the model route (of course that´s the sexy part and the most resource-intensive, what with the tool requirements) and exhaust the enthusiasm there, leading to the dreaded "custom battle only" syndrom.

Meneldil
05-19-2007, 09:43
Awesome Casuir :2thumbsup:

ellydog
05-19-2007, 10:06
Ah great work yet again! It's alot bigger then expected aswell.

Warluster
05-19-2007, 10:19
Good map!

Looks a lot like Europe.

Dave1984
05-19-2007, 12:19
That looks great. Which colours represent which faction so far?

Meneldil
05-19-2007, 12:50
Well, I'd say
Purple - Dark Elves
White - High Elves
Dark Grey - Chaos Factions
Black/Yellow - The Empire
Blue/Red - Bretonia
Bright Green - Lizardmen
Blue/Yellow - Tomb Kings
Blue - Dwarves
Green - Greenskins
Vomit Green - Skavens
Red - Vampire Counts

It also leaves room for Kislev, Estalia, Tilea, Arabia, Wood Elves and a beastmen faction :)

Casuir
05-19-2007, 13:26
Correct, far as those lesser factions go it'd be nice to have them in but theres a lot of work to be done on the main ones before they'd be looked at. Borders there are pretty arbitrary and dont reflect the finished product, coastline in the north also isnt finished. Before people start getting too exited when bwian says it works in game 90% of it is flat grassland, the only areas which are completed are the empire and bretonnia, rest wont be done for some time.

Bwian
05-19-2007, 13:36
well..Ok..I did use a bit of artistic licence... but it does work in game, even if it's mostly flat grass. :clown: As far as a campaign goes, it is essential to us to have a working campaign, and make sure this is not just a custom battle mod. Personally ..I hate those :yes:

Meneldil
05-19-2007, 13:42
Correct, far as those lesser factions go it'd be nice to have them in but theres a lot of work to be done on the main ones before they'd be looked at. Borders there are pretty arbitrary and dont reflect the finished product, coastline in the north also isnt finished. Before people start getting too exited when bwian says it works in game 90% of it is flat grassland, the only areas which are completed are the empire and bretonnia, rest wont be done for some time.

That's still great nonetheless :) Grats on the wip map.

Dogman55
05-19-2007, 16:16
Yes! Grats on the map and the progress! Pretty sweet!

Gurkhal
05-19-2007, 18:14
Nice map. Keep it up. :2thumbsup:

Eufarius
05-19-2007, 18:38
f-ing amazing :yes:

uanime5
05-19-2007, 22:24
That map makes it a lot easier to determine which factions can attack which other faction. Judging by this map Chaos will have to cross the sea to get to a rebel faction or attack the Dark Elves. Perhaps they should start with a small navy to carry their armies to the other continent.

Also which faction does the mauve represent (since a lot of it is in the Greenskin areas is it the Ogres or Faction 4, the Dwarves).

Dogman55
05-20-2007, 00:08
That map makes it a lot easier to determine which factions can attack which other faction. Judging by this map Chaos will have to cross the sea to get to a rebel faction or attack the Dark Elves. Perhaps they should start with a small navy to carry their armies to the other continent.

Also which faction does the mauve represent (since a lot of it is in the Greenskin areas is it the Ogres or Faction 4, the Dwarves).

quote scratched! Bwian

I guess it would depend on which chaos faction you play, since to my understanding there going to be split into separate groups.

Dogman55
05-20-2007, 00:22
Scratch that second quote. Dono where it came from

uanime5
05-20-2007, 14:52
quote scratched! Bwian
What does this mean?

I guess it would depend on which chaos faction you play, since to my understanding there going to be split into separate groups.

If some of the Chaos factions are in the centre of the grey area won't they attack each other rather than try to invade another continent (it's safer to attack you neighbours, rather than send your army to sea and risk being attacked)? Perhaps they should be allied at the start.

Bwian
05-20-2007, 16:41
Uanime ... read Dogmans other post... I just did what he asked :yes:

Now...as to Chaos factions. As we all know...they were perfectly friendly and never attacked each other. The various chaos factions were united in friendship and lived only to supply the civilised worls with cuddly toys and flowers.....

I have no issue with them duking it out for the privilidge of sinking their steel into the flesh of the Empire and taking the spoils of the soft southerners.

Dogman55
05-20-2007, 17:19
Hehe thanks Bwian.

Quoted:
If some of the Chaos factions are in the centre of the grey area won't they attack each other rather than try to invade another continent (it's safer to attack you neighbours, rather than send your army to sea and risk being attacked)? Perhaps they should be allied at the start.

Well, from what I know, the chaos factions spend ALOT of time fighting eachother or being separate. It is only on the rarest occasions a champion of all four gods can unite the factions to fight as a whole. Perhaps chaos factions could get "Dark Crusades" to represent these rare occasions?

Another question: Say you guys chose to make the chaos factions allied from the start... would there be any way to hard code them -staying- allied? Or could one of the chaos factions just as easily just betray another?

Bwian
05-20-2007, 20:49
The MTW2 method of making/breaking alliances would suffice for this. The factions would not have any particular reason for allying with each other, and would tend to fight for expansion. If you choose to play a Chaos faction, one of the first things you would want to do would be to unify the tribes and factions, to reduce your vulnerability when you start leading your armies south.

If the AI is in control, then there is a chance they will ally....but also a chance they will fight. A neutral relationship will be the call here, I suspect. Play testing will confirm/deny this.

I want them to be aggressive, and I would hope the launching of raiding fleets will be a part of this too. IF the best route to expansion is through your neighbour ...then so be it!

The basic layout of the factions will be set so that the Chaos factions will play a part in any campaign featuring factions with them as near neighbours...but we will also look for ways to make sure that any AI play of htese has variations and possibilities. There is always the option to give Chaos a foothold in the nothern part of hte mainland Old World if need be. It all depends on what the gameplay needs to shine.

Casuir
05-20-2007, 22:06
Aye, particularly if we set the mod after the storm of chaos period.

uanime5
05-21-2007, 13:40
If it's okay for the Chaos factions to fight each other then there's no problem. I just though I'd point this out now before the mod is made.

Bwian
05-21-2007, 14:04
No problem ... I don't see any reason why they shouldn't fight each other ... They only unite under a particularly powerful leader ( the player in single player ) and then only by force of arms and willpower. It should be possible to unite them ...but not be the default state.

Bongfu
05-22-2007, 04:30
Official Map

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/extras/wallpaper/images/6-1280x1024.jpg

Decker
05-23-2007, 06:24
I don't know much(if anything about Warhammer), but is there anyway to make it so that Chaos can only ally with each other and maybe some of the other "evil" factions(depends on how you look at it) as it would be weird to see High Elves allied with the Dark Elves or the Britonians allied with a Chaos faction.

Casuir
05-23-2007, 06:26
I think its possible.

Jargon
05-23-2007, 08:37
The alliance possibilites should generate some interesting debate. What would the potential alliances groups be do you think?

Group 1:
Dwarf
High Elf
Wood Elf
Bretonnia
Empire
Lizardmen ???

Group 2:
Dark Elf
Skaven
Orcs and Goblin
Vampire Counts
Tomb Kings
Lizardmen

Group 3:
Chaos factions
Orcs and Goblins
Skaven

Meneldil
05-23-2007, 10:06
Well, apart from a lose and situational alliance between the Empire, Bretonia, the Dwarves and the High Elves*, no other faction should be allied with anyone AFAIK.

The wood elves are fairly neutrals, and don't give a crap about what is happening outside of their forest (and they aren't really nice either, as they usually kill anyone who enter their lands, be it imperial, bretonian or probably high elve).

Orcs and Goblins usually don't ally, as their only aim is fighting. They don't look for domination or anything. They just fight and eat.

Von Carstein Vampires actually defeated chaos in the SoC campaign, and they are unlikely to ally with anyone (except the Empire and Bretonia I would say : a von Carstein could actually pretend to be a normal -and alive- noble, until he has gathered a large enough army to betray the Emperor/the King). They want power and would like to rule the human nations. Unlike other evil factions, they need human, if only to feed themselves.

Tomb Kings pretty much hate everyone, and would never ally with vampires or chaos, or with any other evil faction for that matter. I think they can also be described as 'neutrals'.

The only barely possible alliance between evil forces would IMO be between Chaos, Skavens and Dark Elves.
Skavens are in many way similar to nurgle worshipers, and seek global domination.
Dark Elves, while they usually don't admit it, share many things with Chaos (ie. many Dark Elves worship Slaanesh despite Malekith's orders, + the possible link between Khaine and Khorne). Even then, I think an official alliance between Malekith and a chaos lord is quite unlikely.

*Though the next official campaign seems to imply that Empire and Bretonnia won't be allied anymore.

Casuir
05-23-2007, 10:12
Theres a table in the generals compendium which lists who can and cant ally.
https://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8002/diployv2.png (https://imageshack.us)

Bongfu
05-23-2007, 19:13
Plus, Chaos factions always war with each other anyway. Them killing each other is more likely than them allying.

overkill1991
05-26-2007, 23:04
there is this great fansite for the upcomming Warhammer MMO.

www.war-rvr.net

this site made an awesome interactive map of the whole warhammer world including lots of cities and special places, maybe you guys could use this thing.

http://www.war-rvr.net/map/