PDA

View Full Version : Suspected Trojan - false alarm

Jochi Khan
05-26-2007, 14:14
Yesterday I downloaded the Samurai Warlords Beta 8 from the link in Puzz3D's signature.
Today my anti virus program found a Trojan. (see screenshot below)

https://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4025/samwarlordstrojancu0.jpg

Very annoying after having a clean pc for so long a time.
I hope I don't have to go through the hassle of saving all work and reformatting this HDD.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Has anyone else reported this happening to their download and install?

caravel
05-26-2007, 15:51
I also downloaded it yesterday, same problem. An executable called "ShogunMod.exe" seems to be originating the alert. I'd say it was a false positive.

Edit: Googling the virus gives only one search result on a forum, and that also points to it being a false positive.

I installed it yesterday and have found nothing else. A Great mod BTW. :thumbsup:

Jochi Khan
05-26-2007, 16:56
Thanks for the info Caravel

Update:......

I deleted the download file from My Documents, ran another AVG test and now the result shows...no infections. :beam:

R'as al Ghul
05-26-2007, 20:11
Hello,

I'm using AVG, too.
When I put the mod together and packed everything up AVG gave me no warning. After reading this post I scanned the shogunmod.exe again and now AVG thinks it's a threat.
I'm running daily complete tests of all my harddrives. This threat appeared first after installing the latest virus definitions on May 26. 6.00 AM.

As Caravel said this is a false alarm. AVG is seeing things.
I can only imagine that because the shogunmod.exe deletes files it may be seen as a thread but that's no characteristic of a trojan as it doesn't change or even touch any windows system files and it doesn't communicate over the internet. Also, after installing it deletes itself. The chance that someone exchanges the file on the Mizu Server for something malicious is also relatively small.

Sorry if this caused any panic or inconvenience.
Rest assured, there's nothing wrong.

:bow:

R'as

R'as al Ghul
06-05-2007, 13:42
Just a quick note.
AVG seems to have updated the virus definitions.
I don't get a false positive anymore when testing.

R'as

Jochi Khan
06-05-2007, 15:28
Yes R'as, I have noticed there has been no alerts since the 28-5-2007 AVG update.