PDA

View Full Version : The Dacian Wars - Historicall battlepack

Rex_Pelasgorum
05-28-2007, 16:17
I once had the idea of making an independent mod with the Dacian Wars, howewer due to the lack of time i have decided to make a historicall battlepack for EB with the Dacian Wars. Eb is the best mod, and it has the best dacian units so farr.

The battle of Tapae is functional, and it is well ballanced , howewer due to some thing wich i do not understand fully, only the Romans are playable. I worked hard on the terrain and tried to make something as close as possible to reality. I used to live close to the supposed battlefield, and i modified the relief and forest to look realistic. Unit composition is based on Trajan Column, but also on educated guess.

I have experimented alot because i was thinking of recreating some of the sieges in this wars, in wich the romans assaulted dacian mountain fortresses and had to climb on steep mountains alot under a hail of missiles.

The terrain was no problem to be made... a large mountain ridge, wooded, conected with the main mountain`s body. I love terrain editing, so that was fun. Howewer, i realised that i could not put a settlement overthere in the top. RTW barbarian settlements are very different from the II century dacian Dava, so....

I have decided to put a stone walled forth over the top. In have made it, and it looked awesome in the editor, howewer for some reasons i could not put the dacian soldiers on top of the walls.

When i tested it , bad suprise - no more walls, out of the fort remained only the earth fortifications. Why ?

Anyone willing to help is more than welcome !

abou
05-28-2007, 17:46
Hopefully I can help you, Rex.

For getting multiple armies playable in historical battles you need to edit the descr_battle.txt in the battle folder. First thing is to make sure both armies are in the "playable" section, which is near the beginning of the document.

playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
end
nonplayable
end

Second thing that you need to do is remove the switch. This is in the "start of the battle section" area of the descr_battle.txt. You should see a line like this:

army romans_brutii, 0, no_withdraw, supporting_armies 0, fe_non_playable
All you need to do is delete ", fe_non_playable" and you're done.

As far as walls and settlements are concerned... I haven't had that much luck either. Whenever I add a settlement I get a CTD while I'm in the editor. It's very frustrating as it is holding up a battle I'm working on for EB. I've had a problem of no walls showing up for forts also, so unfortunately I can't help.

Rex_Pelasgorum
05-28-2007, 19:03
Thank you.

I`m so nervous about the fort stuff, because they really looked great on the battlefield. Also, sometimes despite the fact that i add siege weapons to one faction , they do not appear atached to the respective unit.

About settlements, one thing is weird that it is a sort of texture error appearing in front of the gate... a texture is missing overthere. I have tried to make different things with settlements, including making them on island (thaught of remaking a part of Constantinopole :) , but i had little luck also.

abou
05-28-2007, 19:25
Yeah, I've noticed similar problems. It might just be an issue with RTW 1.5, but I'm not sure. Hopefully something will be figured out and done so soon.

helenos aiakides
07-20-2007, 11:32
When will it be ready