PDA

View Full Version : Dogs of War

DrZoidberg
05-28-2007, 20:18
Mercenaries is a major part of MTW2 and Games Workshops have kindly suplied us with Mercenary units, so why not use them as is? Dogs of war is the mercenaries of the Warhammer universe. They’re taken from the White Dwarf official lists of Dogs of War, (WD 251) and Regiments of Renown (WD317).The nice thing is that a lot of these are units that allready exist in MTW2 which makes it easy to use without too much effort from our side.

This is a comprehensive list of all the named Dogs of War units that exist, (except the flying units and individual characters which I have omitted) My thought with this list is that we can use it as a checklist.
These can be hired anywhere.

Some have limitations as to where they can be recruited, so I thought; why not include these limitations in WHTW?

Now to the army lists.

Below troops can be recruited anywhere.

Pikemen
Duelists, (Sword and buckler men)
Dwarfs, (axe, shield and/or crossbow, light armour).
Crossbowmen
Knights, (heavy cavalry)
Light cavalry
Ogres, (elephant unit)
Cannon

Below troops can only be recruited in specific places.

Only in Albion
Giants of Albion, (I have no idea if this is even doable!?!)

Anywhere around the Moot

Halflings, (shortsword and bow)
Halfling spearman, (spear)
Halfling Hot Pot, (a catapult that only fires flaming ammo)
Lumping Croops fighting Cocks Halfling, (shortsword and bow)

Only in Tilea

Pirazzo Lost Legionare, (sword and buckler men)
Pirazzo Lost Pikeman
Pirazzo Lost Crossbowman
Marksmen of Miragliano, (crossbowmen)

Only Empire or Tilea

Ricco’s Republican Guard (two handed weapon and heavy plate mail armour)
Ricco’s Republican Guard Pikeman (Pike and heavy plate mail armour)
Volands Venators, (Mounted Knighs in full plate armour and lance)
Leopolds Leopard Company Pikemen
Braganza’s Besiegers, (Pavaise Crossbowmen)

Only in Estelia

The Alcatani Fellowship Pikemen

Anywhere around Norsca

Bearmen or Urslo, (Norse Marauders)
Norse Marauders

Anywhere around Araby

Al Muktar’s Desert Dogs Riders, (light desert cavalry)

Anywhere around worlds edge mountains

Oglah Khan’s Wolfboyz, (mounted wolf cavalry)
Golgfag’s Ogres, (Ogre)

Only in Lustria

Tichi Huichi’s Raiders, (skink cold one rider)

Anywhere by a sea

Long Drong’s Slayer Pirates, (hand gunners)

DrZoidberg
05-28-2007, 20:23
The named units are more elite than the unnamed that can be recruited anywhere

Blood Claw
05-29-2007, 02:44
Well, this is definitely a comprehensive list and it is well done. I think it is a really nice touch that you are making certain units only available in certain areas. This really sticks with the Warhammer universe and it also shows why this mod will be one the best when it comes out. I just have one question right now: Will the mounted riders actually have the correct mounts such as the wolfboyz actually riding wolves and the raiders actually riding cold ones?

Bwian
05-30-2007, 15:15
There is no reason why the units won't have the correct mounts. There are skeleton issues right now, but this may well change very soon.

We also need to look at how the model conversion process works for mounts. I have not been able ot get a new mount model in game without breaking the vertex assignments. This is a big barrier that I have to cross before we can do this.

Dogman55
05-31-2007, 02:55
Is there a way to prevent certain factions from hiring mercenaries? Say for example an orc player is in an empire province. He won't be able to recruit the units even if there in the merc stockpool, right?

DrZoidberg
05-31-2007, 08:39
Is there a way to prevent certain factions from hiring mercenaries? Say for example an orc player is in an empire province. He won't be able to recruit the units even if there in the merc stockpool, right?

Technically in the MTW2 engine it's not a problem. If I understand correctly, we can control it in detail. But according to the Orc sourcebook, Orcs actually are suposed to be able to hire human mercenaries when in the Empire. Dogs of War fight for money, no matter, and Orcs aren't racist in the least. Just stupid.

The only faction who can't hire any mercenaries according to the sourcebooks are Bretonnia, (who think it's moraly wrong). There's special rules regarding which can work for whom. Most mercenaries will not work for the undead and dwarfs will not work for Orcs, (off-course) and the hobgoblin wolfrider will not work for any Human, Dwarf or Elf.

I should update my army list, though. And then again this is really being nit picky. It's not such a major thing.

gregori99
08-01-2007, 12:04
Hello, I am fairly new to the Org and I don't actually have M2TW but this mod may be the reason I upgrade my PC and buy it.

I am a great fan of Warhammer and so know that there are many many more Dogs of War units not on DrZoidberg's list, and it would be fantastic to see them in the game. If they've been left off for a specific reason please forgive me, but if not, then check out this site for some of the original and most famous Regiments of Renown.

http://www.solegends.com/citrr/index.htm

A more comprehensive list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_of_War_(Warhammer)

Wouldn't it be great to be able to hire Bugman's Dwarf Rangers or The Nightmare Legion?

Bwian
08-01-2007, 20:59
The only barrier to having masses of variations for Dogs of War is the simple logistics of making the units and textures. We also have to be careful not to pick specific mercenary units unless there really could be more than one unit of them. Otherwise, you could end up with 2 sides squaring off BOTH fielding Bugman's Dwarf Rangers .....

Eufarius
08-01-2007, 21:01
very nice, looking forward to 'em

uanime5
08-02-2007, 11:52
Regarding mercenaries it is possible to limit mercenaries by region and religion, so mercanaries can be limited to certain areas and factions. It is also possible to allow mercenary recruitment in towns by requiring a specific region to recruit certain mercenaries.

gregori99
08-02-2007, 13:58
The only barrier to having masses of variations for Dogs of War is the simple logistics of making the units and textures. We also have to be careful not to pick specific mercenary units unless there really could be more than one unit of them. Otherwise, you could end up with 2 sides squaring off BOTH fielding Bugman's Dwarf Rangers .....

I see the problem - two Bugmans wouldn't do at all. What a shame you can't have unique named units. You could give unit leaders the names of Dogs of War leaders (if you can specify this for mercenary units) but the units themselves wouldn't be unique.

Oh well, this mod is still going to be the best Warhammer game around :2thumbsup:

Jubal_Barca
08-04-2007, 13:54
I support the idea of 2 Bugmans, double bugmans = double beer! :laugh4:

Add;

Galloper Guns (Horse pulled cannons, tilea/empire)
Malakai Malasson's Goblin Hewer (Slayer Axe throwing warmachine jobbie, World's edge moutnains)
Ruglud's Armoured Orcs (Orcs + crossbows, badlands or Tilea)
Cursed Company (Undead of all shapes and sizes, Empire)

DrZoidberg
08-10-2007, 12:47

I think we should chose to interpret each Dog of War as a type. So then we can have two units of Bugman's Dwarf rangers fighting each other. I know it's not pretty, but is better than not having them at all.

overkill1991
08-11-2007, 13:19
maybe you could make missions that give you a special dogs of war unit.

like you just get a mission to take a city because it has a lot of special beer in it. the reward of that mission could be bugman's dwarf rangers because by getting the city you gave all the beer to him as payment. and after you have gotten the special unit then if its dead its dead so you need to be really carefull with them.

hope you guys understand what im trying to say.

Blood Claw
08-12-2007, 04:31
maybe you could make missions that give you a special dogs of war unit.

like you just get a mission to take a city because it has a lot of special beer in it. the reward of that mission could be bugman's dwarf rangers because by getting the city you gave all the beer to him as payment. and after you have gotten the special unit then if its dead its dead so you need to be really carefull with them.

hope you guys understand what im trying to say.

I think this is a great idea and I totally understood what you were saying. The only thing is, it may not be possible to do and if it was possible, it would probably take a really long time to do or they would have to limit the number of different dogs of war units there are in the mod.

uanime5
08-12-2007, 13:30
Though you can get missions to give you units there is only one description for these missions, so you can't say which units you will get (this is why the game always says 'some of the best units available', rather than naming the units). I also don't know how these units are choosen.

A Norseman
08-25-2007, 02:05
I love the way that the mercenaries lets us use weapons not offen else seen in warhammer, like the pike and crossbows of tilea..
Have you noticed how the tileans look like the Armored Hoplites from Rome? I hope to see them in this "greek" style, As a tribute to Rome!

Another positive thing about the Mercenaries s that it lets a faction try out some other unit types that that he is currently playing, adding to the variation of the game!

Enthes
08-25-2007, 03:08
they will also be useful when a huge orc army is rampaging through your lands and you only have a small force near bye :laugh4:

Taranaich
08-25-2007, 16:37
Since Ogre Kingdoms won't be in, I think it would be good to have Ogre Leadbelchers as a unit. While the existing factions already have some melee giants (Kroxigors, Rat Ogres, Bone Giants etc), Bulls and Ironguts might seem a bit redundant, especially if giants and trolls will also be included. But big giant dudes using cannons like handguns would certainly be a unique unit unlike any other.

Of course it would be nice to see any Ogre unit in the game, Maneaters would probably be quite eclectic.

Krazysigmarite
08-29-2007, 06:55
I love the way that the mercenaries lets us use weapons not offen else seen in warhammer, like the pike and crossbows of tilea..
Have you noticed how the tileans look like the Armored Hoplites from Rome? I hope to see them in this "greek" style, As a tribute to Rome!

Another positive thing about the Mercenaries s that it lets a faction try out some other unit types that that he is currently playing, adding to the variation of the game!

Yeah, I really hope we can get Pizarro's Lost Legion and the Alcatani Fellowship in - they look so cool!

Totally agree Taranaich - we HAVE to get at least ONE unit of ogres in, they are just so damn cool. (Especially those Imperial Ogres - the 'civilized' ones that live in the empire and wear poofy clothing :laugh4: )

lanky316
09-23-2007, 13:38
Just a personal opinion BUT I don't think that the named units are really required. If you wanted to you could affectionately name them for personal use (or gaming diaries...) but they wouldn't add much more then taking up a few textures. I'm sure a reskin isn't much but the extra +ws isn't worth the effort. It's just a 3 bronze chevron unit ;)

tito
11-20-2007, 18:13
undead mercenary...so cool:http://solegends.com/citrr/rrd02nightmare.htm

Bwian
11-20-2007, 23:44
The biggest issue I have with unique mercenary units is being able to limit them. They will only be possible if that can be done.... otherwise you could end up with multiple versions of a unique unit.

Where mercenaries are more 'generic' that is not an issue. No reason why we can't have a few 'extra' units without proper factions thrown in as mercenaries. Lots of scope for things here, and as long as the rules don't say a unit could not be a mercenary unit, then there we are!

Ultimately, there will be a limit.... and I can't see there being a huge number of variations ... but there will be some! The same basic units will also serve as rebels where no suitable units can be adapted and reskinned