PDA

View Full Version : The Romance of The Three Kingdoms.

Raz
05-30-2007, 08:10
Might as well announce it. ^_^
Based off of the historical event in China, it will be somewhat quite fictional, and might lack in realism, mainly to improve gameplay as 111 turns in one campaign isn't much. I'm looking at a fast paced campaign map play because of this.

The Background
The year is 169 A.D. moments before a huge peasants revolt later to be known as the Yellow Turban uprising. The Han Dynasty collapses and falls into anarchy. Three minor kingdoms remain and vie for the the glory of the title of Emperor.

They fight bitterly against each other and the forces of the Yellow Turbans.
The forces of Wei up north with devastating cavalry, march southward, hoping to expand into both Shu Han in the west, and Sun Wu on the east.
The forces of Wu to the east find themselves cornered against the sea and two mighty empires, they're only hope is to fight back the opposing empires with their skilled swordsmen and well designed ships.
The forces of Shu to the west look out over the land, surrounded by rebel º forces. They focus their efforts into expanding northward and to the west, in an attempt to surround any enemy that happen to be in the middle. To do so, they must utilize they're well trained archers and crossbowmen.

This is an age of pure chaos. . . This is an age of Total War.

Features
On Campaign
º Only three factions playable. Four factions implemented = The Yellow Turbans. Five including normal Rebels.
º Yellow Turbans separate factions, they are united and don't just act like Rebels.
º Fast paced tuned gameplay.
º Large map, focused on a small area.
º Sea routes will be vital for some factions.
º Utilizing faction strengths and fortifying weakness will hopefully be vital.
º New agents such as merchants.

On Tactical Map
º Over 120 units added, some repeated though. <_<
º New type of gameplay ***
º New troop types include:
- -> Swordsmen
- -> Spearmen
- -> Halberdiers
- -> Bowmen
- -> Crossbowmen
- -> Cavalry
º Mercenaries will no longer be just another unit you can sacrifice.
º Spear armed units are now highly effective against dispatching enemy cavalry. Attack vs Cavalry increased.
º Sword armed units are ineffective against cavalry. Attack vs Cavalry dropped.
º Cavalry must be used much more as shock-troops, defense dropped, attack increased, charge greatly increased.
º Projectiles can now kill things. Effectiveness in MTW was shocking.
*** Under each unit class, there are four sub-types. Each an revamped version of the last. By revamped I mean stronger offensively and defensively. But this comes at a cost, often speed and mobility. Thicker armour will mean slower speed, and thus tire easier. Finding the optimum balance in unit types, offensive, defensive and agility in an army will be a learn-by-experience kind of thing.

Wrapping Up
There are probably dozens of spelling and grammar mistakes. It probably looks very half-assed. Explanations are most likely appalling when you read them.

But, other than that, comments and even criticism is welcome. :yes:

Raz
05-30-2007, 08:19
Currently, I'm the only one working on it. So help is required, see the last part of this post.
Work has already started, so no you can't say "Don't do it man! You're crazy!".

Script Work:
Unit Production sheet done, with little re-balancing required.
Building Production sheet done, with re-balancing required however (eg. income from and cost of buildings).
Descriptions, names and all other things written in the 'Loc' folder are around 90% done (a few building descriptions are the only things left).
Startpos, hero names and all other things written in the 'Campmap' folder are around 60% done.
Unit graphics script work has only roughly started.

Graphic Work:
Unit graphics started.
-> Unit battle graphics - Around 40% done (mainly just weapons, I'm thinking about not making entirely new looking units, if I can).
-> Unit artwork for panels (eg. info pics) - Around 90% done.
-> Building artwork for panels - Has only roughly started.
Campaign Map work started.
Looking for a good Campaign Map Texture that I can base my map off.

Jobs Required:
People to help out with 2d artwork.
People to help out with the Campaign Map.
Someone with mod experience to help me out with the mod in general.
Any people to help out really. :2thumbsup:

Aenarion
05-30-2007, 17:01
--- deleted ---

TGYKnow
05-30-2007, 21:18
I'm somewhat (actually very) new to this forum, but I've been a fan of RTK for a long, long time. I will gladly offer my help in any way possible as I've been wanting to attempt something like this ever since I've gotten into modding the MTW game.

TGYKnow
05-30-2007, 22:36
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/1c4/1c4db14f579fda7f89c3e16392b00be8.jpg?ts=1180560743

This is a map my cousin used when creating a sim; the borders are unrealistic, but the city names are from the RTK era. I have a much larger and more detailed version of that map that excludes the borders my cousin made if you find that helpful.

Raz
06-02-2007, 06:38
Yes, a larger version would be good if you could get hold of it. :2thumbsup:

TGYKnow
06-05-2007, 19:49
I'll give you a couple of more maps:

http://kongming.net/novel/i/map_rtk.jpg

http://www.sanguo-chronicle.com/image/map/map_of_tk.jpg (unfortnately not in english)

http://library.thinkquest.org/C0122767/sanguo/mapRTK.jpg (is copyrighted, so not sure how much you'll be able to use.)

hope this helps

Raz
06-30-2007, 08:07
I'll be gone for a while, from early July to around August, so work will be on a temporary halt until then. I've also updated the progress report.

PM me if you have something to ask about any work you would like to contribute and I'll get back to you sometime.

naut
07-08-2007, 15:35
I have a map if you like all ready and rearing to go, I'll PM you a link.

Edit: I've been wanting to make what your doing for ages (ever since I watched Hero really ~D) so I'll happily lend a hand when I can. In regards to the map I thought it would be nice to make it Shogun Style, but that would take A LOT of effort.

Raz
07-27-2007, 05:57
I think it's now safe to cross off a few things on that list of mine. :beam:

Special thanks to TGYKnow and Rythmic for help with the Campaign Map.

axel
11-09-2007, 22:51
Hi Raz
are you still on this mod :yes: ???? i hope so

Hound of Ulster
11-10-2007, 05:43
don't let this one die!:jumping:

Raz
01-02-2008, 08:20
Oh right, yes. Well it's still making progress.

The reason I'd been away was simply because of a mix up with my Internet providers, leading to absolutely no connection for the past few months. While I've been in internet seclusion I have been making progress with the mod, so chillax.

That is if anybody still cares. :laugh4:

Visitor13
01-02-2008, 10:48
I care :yes:

Hound of Ulster
01-02-2008, 17:36
I care too.

axel
01-02-2008, 21:30
And i care to :yes: :yes:
Good to see you back mate:2thumbsup:

dimitrios the samian
01-03-2008, 02:42
Raz .... Don't give up on this one !! The community needs a mod from this period :smash: .... Once released it can only improve with feedback and other ideas flowing in ,, Those spelling and grammar will also get sorted :laugh4: ,, So don't worry to much ,, Just drop back in again soon with some screenies to wet our appetite .

Raz
01-23-2008, 03:41
Screenies, right.... <_<

This is just a post to say that I've updated the progress part. It's getting done - slowly.:beam:
Right now, the problem is implementing the provinces into the game.

axel
01-23-2008, 21:35
gg:2thumbsup: mate

Raz
02-10-2008, 02:46
Sorry to say this - It's what every mod will probably go through at least once - But I don't think I'll be able to finish this. :shame:

I'm not going to sugar-coat it, I just can't be bothered, that and several other things. Some modding related, some more to do with my life away from the PC. I haven't worked on this for quite a little while, and in that time I've learned a few extra things about modding, structural things that would require me to start from square one. I think I might've promised too much, sorry to say.

Unlikely true, but I'll suggest it anyway... I would be very happy to see this project done - if someone would like to pick this project up I'd be glad to hand-over what I've done and you can take it from there. Very, very sorry to those of you expecting a release. :san_sad:
Don't ask me why I put a santa smiley there. <_< why, he's not even smiling.

Again, very sorry.

axel
02-10-2008, 22:28
Hi mate

i am sorry to hear this but your own life go s first i hope you will be OK
and second i hope somme one will ifinnish this mod maybe a fue modders in one team, maybe you could tell wot you done so fare to interrest the modders :idea2: or put it on download for the modders ?

but any way i hope you pick up your life mate :2thumbsup: