PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Victory Condition Mod.

Sir Edward
05-30-2007, 21:35
Purpose of this Mod: To introduce dynamic victory conditions based on the traits a faction leader has. Thoughts for this mod were first discussed here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=74924. I want the victory conditions to reflect the characteristics of the faction leader, giving the game another roleplaying aspect. I believe that victory condtions should reflect in game conditions. Eventually, if this mod can get enough support I would like this idea to become part of the official EB mod or EB2 mod.

Example would be a Carthagian leader who has the anti-Bracid trait would want to expand in North Africa and so the victory condition should reflect this, and not have taking settlements in Spain as a condition. However if a new leader comes to power with a barcid trait the victory conditions should be different.

Files that will need to be modified are: export_descr_character_traits, export_descr_VnVs_enums, export_VnVs, and the EB Script.

Purpose of this Thread: To raise interest about this mod. This involves releases of the mod, announcements, corrective criticism, volunteering, questions, and discussions.

What work is currently being done: I am currently working on a prototype using the Carthage Faction. I expect to do releases of my work weekly. Realize I have a job and am in the process of applying for med-school, so this mod will not be my top priority.

What work still has to be done: Dynamic victory conditions need to be made for all factions.

What specific help is needed: This is quite an undertaking so any help with scripting would be appreciated. I need help in doing research for each faction to create a list of historically plausible victory conditions for each faction. I need people to suggest different initial conditions that can be monitored in game and they would effect victory conditions. Also a proofreader is needed, as evident by my post.

Ignopotens
05-30-2007, 22:36
this sounds like an interesting idea, but since these are leader specific, won't it be possible to simply designate a family member with whatever trait you prefer as heir and just pursue that goal alone?

Also, will these victory conditions be game-ending? If they are, they ought to be large enough goals to take some time. It might be more interesting to make them more short-term, like securing the the entire coast of North Africa West of Cyrenaica by some specific year, maybe 10 years after that ruler takes power. An appropriate reward could be given as well, some kind of trade bonus for as long as those territories are controlled, or until another ruler with a different victory condition takes power.

In fact, it would be even better if once the aims are achieved, future rulers won't have that goal, forcing the player to pursue other goals, maybe even make the completed goal become a game-ending victory condition as well, so people don't just ignore what they've accomplished in pursuit of the new goal.

Just brainstorming, I don't know much at all about the RTW code, or what's actually possible, so some of that might not be feasible. I do like the idea though.

Sir Edward
05-31-2007, 01:40
this sounds like an interesting idea, but since these are leader specific, won't it be possible to simply designate a family member with whatever trait you prefer as heir and just pursue that goal alone?

Also, will these victory conditions be game-ending? If they are, they ought to be large enough goals to take some time. It might be more interesting to make them more short-term, like securing the the entire coast of North Africa West of Cyrenaica by some specific year, maybe 10 years after that ruler takes power. An appropriate reward could be given as well, some kind of trade bonus for as long as those territories are controlled, or until another ruler with a different victory condition takes power.

In fact, it would be even better if once the aims are achieved, future rulers won't have that goal, forcing the player to pursue other goals, maybe even make the completed goal become a game-ending victory condition as well, so people don't just ignore what they've accomplished in pursuit of the new goal.

Just brainstorming, I don't know much at all about the RTW code, or what's actually possible, so some of that might not be feasible. I do like the idea though.

Thanks for your interest in this project, Ignopotens. Right now I am thinking that there will be a core victory condition. Something that all members in the faction would agree on. To continue the Carthage example this would be consolidating power in Northwestern Africa, owning all of sicily, having a minimum number of harbors, and a certain level in the treasury. Along with this core victory condition there would be a dynamic victory condition based on the traits of the leader. I hope to eventually have multiple leader specific victory conditions. So for a leader with the barcid trait they may have the option to destroy spain, destroy romans, or maybe take over crete and main land greece. The chance of a leader getting one may be slightly influenced by his love or hatred of certain cultures and factions, but not determined. To answer your first question there won't be a way to know ahead of time which specific victory condition your leader will have.

I was thinking that if the goal of a victory condition is completed when it isn't the current one that it will no longer be in the rotation of possible goals for later leaders.

Atilius
05-31-2007, 02:38
Files that will need to be modified are: export_descr_character_traits, export_descr_VnVs_enums, export_VnVs, and the EB Script.

Fortunately, export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt is obsolete. There's no need to modify it.

Sir Edward
05-31-2007, 02:49
Fortunately, export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt is obsolete. There's no need to modify it.

Thanks for the input, I didn't know what purpose the file served but saw that almost every visible trait in EB had 3 entries and decided to include it. Anyone out there know what this file is used for?

Atilius
05-31-2007, 02:58
Thanks for the input, I didn't know what purpose the file served but saw that almost every visible trait in EB had 3 entries and decided to include it. Anyone out there know what this file is used for?

In the original release of RTW it was used to specify tags for various text strings associated with a trait. In some subsequent release, the need for this file was eliminated.

Sir Edward
06-07-2007, 05:35
I've made a preliminary system that is similiar to how the ethnic traits are given out in EB, I'll try to post the code I have sometime this weekend. So far the setup has 3 barcid linked victory conditions, 3 anti-barcid linked win conditions, and 4 victory conditions that are not lnked to the barcid/anti-barcid trait. I was hoping to get some discussion going of different goals that could be set up for each trait. My thoughts for one of the barcid focused victory condition was the goal of conquering Iberia, the southern coast of Gaul (to Marseille), the western coast of Gaul (to Normandy area), and the southern two regions in Britain. Maybe tack on to this the requirement of a treasury balance of 50,000 or so. This would represent in game the extending Carthaginian trade empire into resource rich areas. Any other ideas out there?

d'Arthez
06-11-2007, 16:09
Perhaps include victory conditions, based on "Hates <faction>" traits?

If Kart-Hadast has to be a trade-empire, I assume the relevant settlements get checked for the possession of sufficient trade facilities and mines? A treasury of 50,000 can be gained easily, if military upkeep is low. However, that would not mean Kart-Hadast is an economic powerhouse.

It would be a bit odd that they would conquer the whole of Iberia without developing the rich mines; this of course should be given greater weight for the Barcids.

Other than that, I can't really comment, as I never played them.