PDA

View Full Version : Colonial recruitment and cultural assimilation mod

Pharnakes
06-07-2007, 14:01
Most people have probably seen something of what I am doing by now, but as this project is nearing a release I thought I'd start a thread in here.

The main focus of this minimod is to try and represent the gradual proccess of colonialisation/cultural assimilation that a conquered province undergos.

In order to achive this I have made the following changes, mostly to export_descr_buildings and export_buildings:

The colonial building has now been completly revamped, and turned into a tree. You can follow two paths of colonialsation, miltary and economic. The economic colonies offer large trade bonuses, small law bonuses and small growth inhibition. They are also somewhat cheaper than the military colonies. The military colonies offer large law bonuses, large growth inhibitors and small tax bonuses. The other key point is that you now only need a type 3 goverment to build this.

Hopefuly this diagram will make it clear how you can upgrade your colonies:

[img=https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5046/untitledyp2.th.png] (https://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledyp2.png)

As you can see, the ultimate level is the "important colonial city," and when this is built you can construct a type two goverment in the province.

I am in the process of finalising the recruitment options for the miltary colonies, but a selection of middle and a few high end troops will be avalible for alll factions, at the moment unafected by region. (although this may change).

At present therfore the system is very much open to ahistorical spamming, but to players I would say this: Where is the fun if you just build up the bigest stack of elites you can and then use these colonies to blitz the AI. Surely that is neither fun and it is certinately not historical. As for the AI, well, it spams stacks anyway, atleast with these colonies there might be an end to the the galo-roman luogae stacks...

However, as one member of the EB team has said that the very thought of this mod makes him feel physicaly ill, I am going to wait for the approval of the EB team before I actualy include any download links.

Ok, alpha achieved, this is by no means the complete version, the Saba are almost completly unfinshed, however, everyonelse is done. Again, can I emphasise that this does offer masive potential for ahistorical humans behaviour, it is your game, but trust me it will be much more fun if you roleplay it a bit.

Problems: none of the building descriptions are done, all of the origonals are still in place. This means that there is no way to distinguish between the economic and military except by right clicking and looking at the bonses each posibility gives.

On exiting the game the following error will show up:
"Script Error in eb/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt
unrecognised "rome" as a region resource class (or hiden resource)

So far as I know this will have no reprecusions, except, possibly to interfere with the victory conditions. As this mod is savegame compatible, if you find you have acheived your victory conditions and don't win, just put the backups in and you should be able to officaly "win"

Improvments that are soon to be made (porbably tommorow): complete Saba, scripting; to enable the type two gov to be built.

Mid stage improvments(Less than a week I hope): building descriptions, possibly artwork and translations, if I can find anybody willing to help with those, or can plagerise them from vanilla or elsewere in the mod.

To come eventualy (if i can be bothered):something for the "barbarians."

Acknowledgements:

My very sincere thanks to the Europa Barbarorum team in general for giving us such a wonderful mod, and especialy to Foot and Blacksnail for their kindness and paticence with me and my endless, noobish, questions.

Also thanks to Basileus Seleukeia and Alexander 777 for their morale support.

Anyway, here's the link:http://uploaded.to/?id=bcmj2q

Update: You can now actualy build "imitation" type 2 govs in important colonial cities, these have exactly the same building options as standard type 2 govs, but offer none of the additional bonuses. Also recrutiment finalised and most importantly scripts now included to prevent you pinching and building on other peoples colonies. These scripts function exactly like the goc breaking scripts, and in fact, pigyback on the existing eb scripts. Hopefuly, therefore it should all work as intended, although I have had next to no time to test anything.

Anyway download here (http://uploaded.to/?id=s4as5v).

N.B. the scripts are developed from redmeth and mlp071's latest AI balancing mod, as these seem to me to be the best avalible.

Ignopotens
06-07-2007, 16:21
sounds pretty interesting

how long do the upgrades take to construct, what kind of cost are we looking at?

Watchman
06-07-2007, 16:36
Given that the poor AI can't even use the basic EB govs (the script places them for it), wouldn't this go completely over the poor thing's head though ? Just wondering.

Pharnakes
06-07-2007, 17:43
I don't think it will. It is true that I suspect it wil restrict itself to the military colonies, but that is what I want it to do, then it will hopefuly present you with slightly more vaired and elite stacks - in other words more interesting fights, and who knows, the greater avalibilty of factional troops might even persaude it to lay off on the mercs abit...

It is true that it won't be able to handle the population inhibitors (the ai ignores negative bonuses IIRC), but the population replenish script should prevent them from doing anything too drastic to their cities.

@Ignopotens: I will post more details when the EB team give me a green light.

Foot
06-07-2007, 18:47
We are not going to stop you from doing this. We are not that authoritarian!

You have the green light, but of course this is fan-made and we neither endorse it as historically accurate nor as something we would wish to introduce into EB mechanics. But we fully understand and endorse the works of others to make EB how they wish to play it.

Foot

Basileus Seleukeia
06-07-2007, 18:50
It'S pretty neat to hear that this mod has progressed, as it was never really decided what it actually does :laugh4:
I'm looking forward to this, although then I'd have to wait for another new version of RoA with the mod, as I don't want to miss the new units...

Pharnakes
06-07-2007, 19:04
I can give you the relevant blocks of code to paste into your files, they are not that big.

Basileus Seleukeia
06-07-2007, 19:14
Oh, that's nice of you. Does that mean that the code is finished now?

Pharnakes
06-07-2007, 19:25
I meant when its done which should be in about 4 hours.

The Celt
06-07-2007, 20:07
So will this be save game compatible? I was playing a Aedui campaign where I had completely migrated to Ireland only to find out I can't build any factional troops there.(Stupid Belgae must've bailed when my Gauls showed up.)So will this mod help me build some Bataroas and Lugos whilst still keeping Goidilic units?:dizzy2:

Pharnakes
06-07-2007, 20:27
Sorry, its only "civilized" factions at the moment, as this idea does not have the potential to portray barbarians acuratley IMHO. However I do have some hazy plans for barbs, any sugestions would be more than welcome.

LordCurlyton
06-07-2007, 21:00
On governments: The AI WILL build them, eventually. As in 80-120 turns eventually. Essentially the AI needs to exhaust its better bonuses options before it turns to govs, especially if its options are ones that give penalties it doesn't want. But I have witnessed government building by AI factions that aren't named Eleutheroi (they love to build governments). At least as long as you leave a Military Occupation in place. I haven't tested/had the patience to see if they'll start with nothing and build the Military --> Other Gov.

Pharnakes
06-07-2007, 22:00
I would think that they would seeing as how it is quick and cheap and offers no penalties, although i didn't think the AI checked for penalties?

The Celt
06-08-2007, 01:32
Sorry, its only "civilized" factions at the moment, as this idea does not have the potential to portray barbarians acuratley IMHO. However I do have some hazy plans for barbs, any sugestions would be more than welcome.
Barb/Celtic/Germanic migration would be a good one. Like the what Galatians did for example. Ireland saw quite a bit of these at this point in history. It could probably just be the same thing as the Nomadic migration buildings but not quite as culture erasing. Maybe Anthony has a better idea.:idea2:

QwertyMIDX
06-08-2007, 01:51
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I doubt you'll get much in the way of support or guidance from EB members. We spent a lot of time talking this over and think its just not an accurate way to handle the issue, especially considering the way the vast majority of empires functioned and the erratic nature of migrations. I would say go with whatever option you guys come up with rather than waiting for EB folks to provide direction. Good luck!

mlp071
06-08-2007, 02:16
I have couple of questions, since i am getting confused.Probably it's me, but still would like to ask.

From what i understood:

- Hellenic factions are going to be being able to recruit their elite units all over the map, not in every province but still in general areas.?

-It would help Romans somewhat , but only before Marian reform, after that they can recruit everything everwhere anyways?

-Barbarians (almost half of the factions) are not being included, since they are not "capable" to create such achievement since they are not "civilized" enough?:no:

If i am wrong , sorry for this post.

But if this is correct then :

- If assimilations were going that easy , there wouldn't be any Greeks or Israelis(example) today , since Romans were holding those teritories for centuries?
Not to mention Moors in Spain (700 years ) and Ottomans in Grece and Balkans(500+ years)..

-What makes "barbarian" factions so much less capable then Hellenic ones, so they are not able to build those.?

And does it them being "barbarians", justify them being excluded from that type of recruitment.In contrast Maks can recruit phalanx in Brittania, but Casse cannot Kluddargos in Asia Minor?

I mean, since we are talking about ahistorical type of developments here , i really don't see why they can't be included into it ?

- Barbarians have awfull economy and military to start with , and without those centers for them, it is going to be hugely unbalanced play field for them, or not ?
Or is that purpose of this mod?If you have some test results, would be great.

- Is there any historical data that you rely on ? It would be nice to look at it , since i am history geek:egypt:

Again I am not trying to question your effort , which is great one , but trying to put this in lines of my thinking that EB is historical representation of that period.

After all it's your mod , and you can tailored it as it fits you :2thumbsup:

Pharnakes
06-08-2007, 12:36
OK, your main problem is indeed, the main problem with the mod, the barbarians. Can I say agian, I know is not fair for the barbarians, but what I have released so far is supposed to represent colonialsation which is what the Greeks especaily and the Romanii and Qarthadastim also tended to do.

Barbarians tended more to migration, ie the whole galatian invasion thing, and as yet I have not been able/have not had the time to think of a way of portraying this in the game. AS I said above, I'm thinking hard about it and I will be grateful for any suggestions people might have, as to how such a thing could be implemented in the game.

Your other points seem to stem from a slight missunderstanding of what this mod is trying to acheive - it does not represent assimilation, it represents colonialsation, there is a big difference.

For the rest as I have stated above, this could very easily be used in an ahistorical fashion, and if you want to do so then that is up to you, but I think that if you introduce some house rules - eg, no more than 1 unit of elites form a city every 2 years, then this mod will not only make eb much more fun to play, but will also add to the historical accuracy of the mod.

Over the next few days, after my first few play testings, I hope to post up some house rules that will, if you follow them, prevent this mini-mod being used in an ahistorical fashion.

Basileus Seleukeia
06-08-2007, 14:03
Could you please send me a pm with the codes you are currently testing? I want to start a new campaign today because next week I'll have to do a lot of work for school...

Pharnakes
06-08-2007, 14:40
Here you go, and for anybody else who wants to use this mod along with others:

open up rome total war\eb\data and then export_descr_building.

Search for: "apoikia" and you should find this:

building colonia
{
levels apoikia
{
apoikia requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, romans_scipii, parthia, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov2
{
capability
{
law_bonus bonus 2
population_growth_bonus bonus -2
}
construction 12
cost 10400
settlement_min large_city
upgrades
{
}
}
}
plugins
{
}
}

Highlight all that is in the code brackets, then copy and paste this on top of it:

building colonia
{
levels apoikia, military_colony_1, trade_colony_1, military_colony_2, trade_colony_2, military_colony_3, trade_colony_3, important_colonial_city
{
apoikia requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov3
{
capability
{
recruit "greek infantry taxeis hoplitai" 0 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, romans_brutii, numidia, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry mishteret izrahim feenikim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "arabian infantry saba citizen spearmen" 0 requires factions { saba, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry doryphoroi pontikoi" 0 requires factions { carthage, }
recruit "roman infantry camillan rorarii" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
law_bonus bonus 1
population_growth_bonus bonus -1
}
construction 8
cost 6000
settlement_min large_town
upgrades
{
military_colony_1
trade_colony_1
}
}
military_colony_1 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov3
{
capability
{
recruit "arabian missile northern arab levy" 0 requires factions { saba, }
recruit "roman infantry hastati early" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "iberian skirmisher cavalry equites caetratii" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "iberian infantry light caetratii" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry aanatim leebim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "greek infantry ekdromoi hoplitai" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry pantodapoi phalangitai" 0 requires factions { romans_julii, romans_brutii, carthage, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry machimoi phalangitai" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "greek infantry taxeis hoplitai" 0 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, romans_brutii, numidia, }
recruit "greek infantry taxeis phalangitai" 0 requires factions { thrace, macedon, }
recruit "greek skirmisher peltastai" 0 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, romans_brutii, romans_julii, numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic skirmisher cavalry hippakontistai" 0 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, romans_brutii, romans_julii, numidia, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry mishteret izrahim feenikim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry doryphoroi pontikoi" 0 requires factions { carthage, }
law_bonus bonus 2
}
construction 10
cost 8400
settlement_min city
upgrades
{
military_colony_2
trade_colony_2
}
}
trade_colony_1 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov3
{
capability
{
trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1
law_bonus bonus 1
}
construction 6
cost 6500
settlement_min city
upgrades
{
trade_colony_2
military_colony_2
}
}
military_colony_2 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov3
{
capability
{
recruit "arabian missile cavalry tribal levies" 0 requires factions { saba, }
recruit "arabian infantry redsea axemen" 0 requires factions { saba, }
recruit "samnite infantry spearmen" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "roman infantry principes early" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "iberian infantry loricatii caetratii" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "iberian cavalry light curisii" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "iberian infantry medium scutarii" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian cavalry ezrahim parashim feeniki" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry dorkim leebi-feenikim mookdamim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "iberian skirmisher cavalry equites caetratii" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "greek cavalry hippeis" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry hoplitai" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry illyrioihippeis" 0 requires factions { thrace, }
recruit "greek infantry iphikratous hoplitai" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek infantry ekdromoi hoplitai" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek infantry chaeonian agema" 0 requires factions { thrace, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry kleruchoi agemata" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry chalkaspidai" 0 requires factions { carthage, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry machimoi hippeis" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry pantodapoi phalangitai" 0 requires factions { romans_julii, romans_brutii, carthage, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry machimoi phalangitai" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry thureophoroi" 0 requires factions { thrace, macedon, romans_julii, romans_brutii, numidia, greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry prodromoi" 0 requires factions { thrace, macedon, romans_julii, romans_brutii, numidia, greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry heavy pezhetairoi" 0 requires factions { thrace, macedon, romans_julii, romans_brutii, numidia, }
recruit "greek infantry taxeis phalangitai" 0 requires factions { thrace, macedon, }
recruit "greek skirmisher peltastai" 0 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, romans_brutii, romans_julii, numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic skirmisher cavalry hippakontistai" 0 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, romans_brutii, romans_julii, numidia, }
law_bonus bonus 3
population_growth_bonus bonus -3
}
construction 12
cost 10600
upgrades
{
military_colony_3
trade_colony_3
}
}
trade_colony_2 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov3
{
capability
{
trade_base_income_bonus bonus 3
law_bonus bonus 2
}
construction 9
cost 8200
upgrades
{
trade_colony_3
military_colony_3
}
}
military_colony_3 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov3
{
capability
{
recruit "arabian infantry assilinmodarra" 0 requires factions { saba, }
recruit "arabian cavalry saba citizen cavalry" 0 requires factions { saba, }
recruit "roman cavalry camillan eqvites" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "roman infantry auxilia peditesextraordinarii" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "roman infantry triarii early" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "celtic infantry neitos" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "galatian infantry galatikoi kleruchoi" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "iberian infantry loricati scutarii" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "iberian infantry dorkei hatkafa ibeerim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry meshoorianim leebim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian cavalry ezrahim parashim feeniki" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry dorkim leebi-feenikim mookdamim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry tarentinoi" 0 requires factions { thrace, }
recruit "greek infantry thorakitai" 0 requires factions { romans_julii, romans_brutii, greek_cities, }
recruit "greek infantry kleruchoi hoplitai" 0 requires factions { numidia, romans_brutii, }
recruit "greek infantry epikletoi hoplitai" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek infantry iphikratous hoplitai" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry kleruchoi agemata" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry hippeis baktrioi" 0 requires factions { romans_brutii, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry machimoi hippeis" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry kleruchoi agema hippeis" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry hellenikoi kataphraktoi" 0 requires factions { romans_brutii, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry hellenikoi kataphraktoi" 0 requires factions { romans_julii, } and marian_reforms
recruit "hellenistic infantry hysteroi pezhetairoi" 0 requires factions { macedon, } and marian_reforms
recruit "greek cavalry hippeis thessalikoi" 0 requires factions { macedon, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry argyraspidai" 0 requires factions { macedon, romans_julii, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry thureophoroi" 0 requires factions { thrace, macedon, romans_julii, romans_brutii, numidia, greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry prodromoi" 0 requires factions { thrace, macedon, romans_julii, romans_brutii, numidia, greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry heavy pezhetairoi" 0 requires factions { thrace, macedon, romans_julii, romans_brutii, numidia, }
law_bonus bonus 4
population_growth_bonus bonus -4
}
construction 15
cost 14500
settlement_min huge_city
upgrades
{
trade_colony_3
}
}
trade_colony_3 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov3
{
capability
{
trade_base_income_bonus bonus 5
law_bonus bonus 3
}
construction 12
cost 10750
settlement_min huge_city
upgrades
{
important_colonial_city
}
}
important_colonial_city requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov3
{
capability
{
recruit "arabian infantry assilinmodarra" 0 requires factions { saba, }
recruit "arabian cavalry saba citizen cavalry" 0 requires factions { saba, }
recruit "roman cavalry camillan eqvites" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "roman cavalry auxilia equitesextraordinarii" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "roman infantry auxilia peditesextraordinarii" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "roman infantry triarii early" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "celtic infantry neitos" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "galatian infantry galatikoi kleruchoi" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "generic siege 3span" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "generic siege 30mina" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "iberian cavalry heavy lancearii" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian cavalry haabbirim haqdosim abbirim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry aanatim afrikanim aloophim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry dorkim afrikanim aloophim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry dorkim kdoshim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "iberian infantry dorkei hatkafa ibeerim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry meshoorianim leebim" 0 requires factions { egypt, }
recruit "greek cavalry hippeis xystophoroi" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry tarentinoi" 0 requires factions { thrace, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry thorakitai argyraspidai" 0 requires factions { romans_julii, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry basilikon agemata" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry baktrioi agema" 0 requires factions { romans_brutii, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry baktrioi hippotoxotai" 0 requires factions { romans_brutii, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry spartiateshoplitai" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek infantry thorakitai" 0 requires factions { romans_julii, romans_brutii, greek_cities, }
recruit "greek infantry kleruchoi hoplitai" 0 requires factions { numidia, romans_julii, }
recruit "greek infantry epikletoi hoplitai" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry molossianagema" 0 requires factions { thrace, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry hippeis baktrioi" 0 requires factions { romans_brutii, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry hellenikoi kataphraktoi" 0 requires factions { romans_brutii, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry hellenikoi kataphraktoi" 0 requires factions { romans_julii, } and marian_reforms
recruit "hellenistic infantry agrianaipelekephoroi" 0 requires factions { macedon, thrace, }
recruit "generic siege 3span" 0 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, }
recruit "generic siege 30mina" 0 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, carthage, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, }
recruit "greek infantry pheraspidai" 0 requires factions { macedon, romans_julii, romans_brutii, }
recruit "greek infantry hypaspistai" 0 requires factions { macedon, romans_julii, }
recruit "hellenistic cavalry successor hetairoi" 0 requires factions { macedon, romans_julii, numidia, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry hysteroi pezhetairoi" 0 requires factions { macedon, } and marian_reforms
recruit "greek cavalry hippeis thessalikoi" 0 requires factions { macedon, }
recruit "hellenistic infantry argyraspidai" 0 requires factions { macedon, romans_julii, }
trade_base_income_bonus bonus 6
law_bonus bonus 5
}
construction 20
cost 20000
settlement_min huge_city
upgrades
{
}
}
}
plugins
{
}
}

Save and close the file.

Open up rome total war\eb\data\text and the export_buildings. Search for apoikia and highlight this:

{colonia_name}
Colonial Administration - reduces population growth, increases order
{apoikia} Colonia
{apoikia_desc}
In antiquity, colonies were sometimes founded by vanquished peoples, who left their homes to escape subjection at the hand of a foreign enemy; sometimes as a sequel to civil disorders, when the losers in internecine battles left to form a new city elsewhere; sometimes to get rid of surplus population, and thereby to avoid internal convulsions. But in most cases the object was to establish and facilitate relations of trade with foreign countries.
{apoikia_desc_short}
In antiquity, colonies were sometimes founded by vanquished peoples, who left their homes to escape subjection at the hand of a foreign enemy; sometimes as a sequel to civil disorders, when the losers in internecine battles left to form a new city elsewhere; sometimes to get rid of surplus population, and thereby to avoid internal convulsions. But in most cases the object was to establish and facilitate relations of trade with foreign countries.
{apoikia_greek} Apoikia (Colony)
{apoikia_greek_desc}
Hellenes were well-known as a fearless sea-faring people, true children of the Mediterranean, like the Phoinikoi and other peoples inhabiting the shores of the Mesogeios. Their naval abilities and adventurous spirit led them to areas far from their homelands, often en masse. The reasons for this immigration was often the destruction of their lands by invaders or exile following internal strive for power, but it also served as a way for the founding city to reduce their city's population in times of need. The most common of these reason was, however, the consolidating of trade relationships with other peoples. Merchants, artisans, craftsmen and poor people who experienced hardships at home would build settlements in favourable locations. In the course of time, the Hellenes built hundrends of such settlements in the lands around the Mediterranean, usually near the sea. More often than not, these settlements evolved into large cities, many of them of great importance. Although most apoikiai cherished their autonomy, they usually kept bonds of friendship with the city-state of their origin (their 'metropolis', or mother-city) and relied upon their help in times of great peril.
{apoikia_greek_desc_short}
An Hellenic colony, a city-state far from the homeland, usually devoted to trade and a medium of cultural exchange and communication with other peoples.
{apoikia_seleucid} Colonia (Colony)
{apoikia_seleucid_desc}
The colonia is a settlement of Roman citizens established in occupied territories, mainly to defend and integrate these into the Roman Res Publica. The great number of Romans present in the colonia increases the ties with Roma and most colonies play an important role in the Romanization process of their province as examples of the Roman way of life. The settlers also provide a local source of soldiers, ready to defend their new home against any enemy and suppress smaller unrest. The establishment of a colonia means that this town will send its own citizens to help found this new city. It also relieves population in this home city (traditionally one of the most common reasons to engage in colonization in the first place).\n\nHistorically, the Romani decided between two different kinds of foundations. Colonies founded by the senate and the consuls with civilian settlers and the later military colonies founded by a general for his veterans since the middle republic.\n\nMilitary and strategic aspects dominated the early foundations of roman colonies. Together with the road network connecting the new outposts and Roma, the colonization strategy was one of the most important keys to success in the 4th century BC struggle to become the sole Italian hegemony power.\n\nLater towards the end of the 2nd century BC the nature of the new foundations changed and now new colonies mainly had to provide land for small farmers. Shortly thereafter almost all new colonies were veteran colonies founded by military leaders.\n\nBecause of their direct descent from Roma itself, colonias were the among the most important cities in the Roman world. Later, from the reign of the emperor Claudius, who was very interested in integrating the subdued people of the provinces better into the Roman society, even a existing city could receive the rank and the rights of a colonia even without a previous influx of new roman settlers. However a greater number of Roman citizens still had to live there permanently.
{apoikia_seleucid_desc_short}
A Colony has been established by the citizens of this city! It will integrate the inhabitants into the roman way of life but more importantly to us, it will reduce the strain here on city services and alleviate population problems.
{apoikia_carthage} Warning - Colony
{apoikia_carthage_desc}
WARNING! This text should never appear on screen!
{apoikia_carthage_desc_short}
{apoikia_numidia} Apoikia Klerouchike (Military Colony)
{apoikia_numidia_desc}
The Ptolemaioi never trusted it’s native population, at least in military matters and never armed them. Thus, they like the other Diadochoi states needed Hellenic colonists for support and mainly for military service. Due to the wealth of the Neilos and enough lands to give around, Ptolemaios Soter and his successors gave tracts of land to any Hellene willing to settle in Aigyptos in return for military service or otherwise, and many took up the offer. Galatians and Jews were also given lands in return for military service, to further increase the Ptolemaic armies. Most Hellenes settled in the cities of Lower Egypt or built estates just outside them, or in the fertile Fayyum depression which became the main recruiting ground for the Ptolemaic cavalry.\n\nAn Apoikia increases the loyalty in a region to the Pharaoh, as the Hellenes know the Makedonian Ptolemaic Pharaohs are their warranty for a good life in Aigyptos.
{apoikia_numidia_desc_short}
We have now established a colony, made up of newly settled soldiers, cultivating Aigyptian land and hopefully providing able men to the Ptolemaic armies.
{apoikia_eastern} Hellenistic Colony
{apoikia_egypt} Mosaba Ponnit (Punic Colony)
{apoikia_egypt_desc}
There should be a description here. For when the Punes sent out people to form a new colony somewhere. Have you ever said "Colony" out loud really slowly? It's a weird word. Sort of disgusting actually. "Colon-y". Like an adjective describing your lower intestines. Yuck.
{apoikia_egypt_desc_short}
We have just sent out a new colony from this great city. Our people rejoice and the city should be happy now. Thank goodness we were able to talk those guys into leaving. We got rid of the worst ones really. A bunch of criminals mostly. Tanit help the world if enough of those type people ever actually had control of a whole continent.
{apoikia_saba} Colony
{apoikia_saba_desc}
In the expansionist periods of Sabaean history, new colonies were sent out by the king into newly conquered territories and on their borders, to spread into even further regions. Contingents of Sabaean settlers were sent out to conquered cities as well as to newly created ones in conquered territories. This expansion carried waves of tradesmen and others farther from their homelands and some put down roots in distant lands to the east and north, as well as across the Red Sea at times. The Sabaean language was carried into new lands and eventually was spoken across much of South Arabia as well as into Ethiopia.\n\nEstablishing a new colony means that one of your newly conquered lands will receive an influx of settlers from this city, and as a result your citizens here will be relieved of some measure of over-crowding. Additionally more trade will flow in time from the colony to this city. All of this increases the happiness of your people here.
{apoikia_saba_desc_short}
A new colony has been established in our conquered lands and many of the citizens from this city have left to found it.
{apoikia_roman} Apoikia (Colony)
{apoikia_roman_desc}
Should not be visible - please report this error
{apoikia_roman_desc_short}
{apoikia_romans_julii} Apoikia (Colony)
{apoikia_romans_julii_desc}
Hellenes were well-known as a fearless sea-faring people, true children of the Mediterranean, like the Phoinikoi and other peoples inhabiting the shores of the Mesogeios. Their naval abilities and adventurous spirit led them to areas far from their homelands, often en masse. The reasons for this immigration was often the destruction of their lands by invaders or exile following internal strive for power, but it also served as a way for the founding city to reduce their city's population in times of need. The most common of these reason was, however, the consolidating of trade relationships with other peoples. Merchants, artisans, craftsmen and poor people who experienced hardships at home would often build their own settlements in favorable locations. Those of larger Seleukid poleis, were compelled
{apoikia_romans_julii_desc_short}
We have now established a colony, a city-state far from the homeland, usually devoted to trade and a medium of cultural exchange and communication with other peoples.
{apoikia_romans_brutii} Apoikia (Colony)
{apoikia_romans_brutii_desc}
After the conquests of Alexandros, waves of Hellenes emigrated to the newly conquered areas in the east. Baktria was no exception. Merchants, artisans, craftsmen and poor people who experienced hardships at home would build settlements in favorable locations. Most of the Greek colonists that came to Baktria settled in the countryside, living off the tracts of land, the kleroi, allotted to them when they first settled there. Greek settlers were needed to rule the new kingdom, first for support, second for necessary skills they brought with them, and thirdly as phalangitai or cavalry for the Baktrian armies, who the strategoi would not make up of untrustworthy Iranians. Many of the new colonies were built near good spots for defence, or next to previous settlements, who were abandoned when the new one was established.\n\nAccording to sources and excavations it seems most settlers came from Hellenic Anatolia, especially the Meander valley, and northern Hellas. One example is a statuette discovered at Takht-i-Sangin which represents the River Oxos as Marsyas playing the double flute, the iconographic form in which Hellenic art depicted the Meander’s main source. The connection to northern Hellas is shown by Hellenic names which are characteristic to that region, like Kineas, Molossos, Triballos, and Lysanias.
{apoikia_romans_brutii_desc_short}
We have now established a colony, made up of settlers who have dared the many miles between Hellas and Baktria and who till the land for the Baktrian rulers.

and replace with this:

{colonia_name}
Colonial Administration - reduces population growth, increases order
{apoikia} Colonia
{apoikia_desc}
{apoikia_desc_short}
{apoikia_greek} Apoikia (Colony)
{apoikia_greek_desc}
Hellenes were well-known as a fearless sea-faring people, true children of the Mediterranean, like the Phoinikoi and other peoples inhabiting the shores of the Mesogeios. Their naval abilities and adventurous spirit led them to areas far from their homelands, often en masse. The reasons for this immigration was often the destruction of their lands by invaders or exile following internal strive for power, but it also served as a way for the founding city to reduce their city's population in times of need. The most common of these reason was, however, the consolidating of trade relationships with other peoples. Merchants, artisans, craftsmen and poor people who experienced hardships at home would build settlements in favourable locations. In the course of time, the Hellenes built hundrends of such settlements in the lands around the Mediterranean, usually near the sea. More often than not, these settlements evolved into large cities, many of them of great importance. Although most apoikiai cherished their autonomy, they usually kept bonds of friendship with the city-state of their origin (their 'metropolis', or mother-city) and relied upon their help in times of great peril.
{apoikia_greek_desc_short}
An Hellenic colony, a city-state far from the homeland, usually devoted to trade and a medium of cultural exchange and communication with other peoples.
{apoikia_seleucid} Colonia (Colony)
{apoikia_seleucid_desc}
The colonia is a settlement of Roman citizens established in occupied territories, mainly to defend and integrate these into the Roman Res Publica. The great number of Romans present in the colonia increases the ties with Roma and most colonies play an important role in the Romanization process of their province as examples of the Roman way of life. The settlers also provide a local source of soldiers, ready to defend their new home against any enemy and suppress smaller unrest. The establishment of a colonia means that this town will send its own citizens to help found this new city. It also relieves population in this home city (traditionally one of the most common reasons to engage in colonization in the first place).\n\nHistorically, the Romani decided between two different kinds of foundations. Colonies founded by the senate and the consuls with civilian settlers and the later military colonies founded by a general for his veterans since the middle republic.\n\nMilitary and strategic aspects dominated the early foundations of roman colonies. Together with the road network connecting the new outposts and Roma, the colonization strategy was one of the most important keys to success in the 4th century BC struggle to become the sole Italian hegemony power.\n\nLater towards the end of the 2nd century BC the nature of the new foundations changed and now new colonies mainly had to provide land for small farmers. Shortly thereafter almost all new colonies were veteran colonies founded by military leaders.\n\nBecause of their direct descent from Roma itself, colonias were the among the most important cities in the Roman world. Later, from the reign of the emperor Claudius, who was very interested in integrating the subdued people of the provinces better into the Roman society, even a existing city could receive the rank and the rights of a colonia even without a previous influx of new roman settlers. However a greater number of Roman citizens still had to live there permanently.
{apoikia_seleucid_desc_short}
A Colony has been established by the citizens of this city! It will integrate the inhabitants into the roman way of life but more importantly to us, it will reduce the strain here on city services and alleviate population problems.
{apoikia_carthage} Warning - Colony
{apoikia_carthage_desc}
{apoikia_carthage_desc_short}
{apoikia_numidia} Apoikia Klerouchike (Military Colony)
{apoikia_numidia_desc}
The Ptolemaioi never trusted it’s native population, at least in military matters and never armed them. Thus, they like the other Diadochoi states needed Hellenic colonists for support and mainly for military service. Due to the wealth of the Neilos and enough lands to give around, Ptolemaios Soter and his successors gave tracts of land to any Hellene willing to settle in Aigyptos in return for military service or otherwise, and many took up the offer. Galatians and Jews were also given lands in return for military service, to further increase the Ptolemaic armies. Most Hellenes settled in the cities of Lower Egypt or built estates just outside them, or in the fertile Fayyum depression which became the main recruiting ground for the Ptolemaic cavalry.\n\nAn Apoikia increases the loyalty in a region to the Pharaoh, as the Hellenes know the Makedonian Ptolemaic Pharaohs are their warranty for a good life in Aigyptos.
{apoikia_numidia_desc_short}
We have now established a colony, made up of newly settled soldiers, cultivating Aigyptian land and hopefully providing able men to the Ptolemaic armies.
{apoikia_eastern} Hellenistic Colony
{apoikia_egypt} Mosaba Ponnit (Punic Colony)
{apoikia_egypt_desc}
There should be a description here. For when the Punes sent out people to form a new colony somewhere. Have you ever said "Colony" out loud really slowly? It's a weird word. Sort of disgusting actually. "Colon-y". Like an adjective describing your lower intestines. Yuck.
{apoikia_egypt_desc_short}
We have just sent out a new colony from this great city. Our people rejoice and the city should be happy now. Thank goodness we were able to talk those guys into leaving. We got rid of the worst ones really. A bunch of criminals mostly. Tanit help the world if enough of those type people ever actually had control of a whole continent.
{apoikia_saba} Colony
{apoikia_saba_desc}
In the expansionist periods of Sabaean history, new colonies were sent out by the king into newly conquered territories and on their borders, to spread into even further regions. Contingents of Sabaean settlers were sent out to conquered cities as well as to newly created ones in conquered territories. This expansion carried waves of tradesmen and others farther from their homelands and some put down roots in distant lands to the east and north, as well as across the Red Sea at times. The Sabaean language was carried into new lands and eventually was spoken across much of South Arabia as well as into Ethiopia.\n\nEstablishing a new colony means that one of your newly conquered lands will receive an influx of settlers from this city, and as a result your citizens here will be relieved of some measure of over-crowding. Additionally more trade will flow in time from the colony to this city. All of this increases the happiness of your people here.
{apoikia_saba_desc_short}
A new colony has been established in our conquered lands and many of the citizens from this city have left to found it.
{apoikia_roman} Apoikia (Colony)
{apoikia_roman_desc}
{apoikia_roman_desc_short}
{apoikia_romans_julii} Apoikia (Colony)
{apoikia_romans_julii_desc}
Hellenes were well-known as a fearless sea-faring people, true children of the Mediterranean, like the Phoinikoi and other peoples inhabiting the shores of the Mesogeios. Their naval abilities and adventurous spirit led them to areas far from their homelands, often en masse. The reasons for this immigration was often the destruction of their lands by invaders or exile following internal strive for power, but it also served as a way for the founding city to reduce their city's population in times of need. The most common of these reason was, however, the consolidating of trade relationships with other peoples. Merchants, artisans, craftsmen and poor people who experienced hardships at home would often build their own settlements in favorable locations. Those of larger Seleukid poleis, were compelled
{apoikia_romans_julii_desc_short}
We have now established a colony, a city-state far from the homeland, usually devoted to trade and a medium of cultural exchange and communication with other peoples.
{apoikia_romans_brutii} Apoikia (Colony)
{apoikia_romans_brutii_desc}
After the conquests of Alexandros, waves of Hellenes emigrated to the newly conquered areas in the east. Baktria was no exception. Merchants, artisans, craftsmen and poor people who experienced hardships at home would build settlements in favorable locations. Most of the Greek colonists that came to Baktria settled in the countryside, living off the tracts of land, the kleroi, allotted to them when they first settled there. Greek settlers were needed to rule the new kingdom, first for support, second for necessary skills they brought with them, and thirdly as phalangitai or cavalry for the Baktrian armies, who the strategoi would not make up of untrustworthy Iranians. Many of the new colonies were built near good spots for defence, or next to previous settlements, who were abandoned when the new one was established.\n\nAccording to sources and excavations it seems most settlers came from Hellenic Anatolia, especially the Meander valley, and northern Hellas. One example is a statuette discovered at Takht-i-Sangin which represents the River Oxos as Marsyas playing the double flute, the iconographic form in which Hellenic art depicted the Meander’s main source. The connection to northern Hellas is shown by Hellenic names which are characteristic to that region, like Kineas, Molossos, Triballos, and Lysanias.
{apoikia_romans_brutii_desc_short}
We have now established a colony, made up of settlers who have dared the many miles between Hellas and Baktria and who till the land for the Baktrian rulers.
{military_colony_1} Colonia
{military_colony_1_desc}
{military_colony_1_desc_short}
{military_colony_1_greek} military_colony_1 (Colony)
{military_colony_1_greek_desc}
Hellenes were well-known as a fearless sea-faring people, true children of the Mediterranean, like the Phoinikoi and other peoples inhabiting the shores of the Mesogeios. Their naval abilities and adventurous spirit led them to areas far from their homelands, often en masse. The reasons for this immigration was often the destruction of their lands by invaders or exile following internal strive for power, but it also served as a way for the founding city to reduce their city's population in times of need. The most common of these reason was, however, the consolidating of trade relationships with other peoples. Merchants, artisans, craftsmen and poor people who experienced hardships at home would build settlements in favourable locations. In the course of time, the Hellenes built hundrends of such settlements in the lands around the Mediterranean, usually near the sea. More often than not, these settlements evolved into large cities, many of them of great importance. Although most military_colony_1i cherished their autonomy, they usually kept bonds of friendship with the city-state of their origin (their 'metropolis', or mother-city) and relied upon their help in times of great peril.
{military_colony_1_greek_desc_short}
{military_colony_1_seleucid} Colonia (Colony)
{military_colony_1_seleucid_desc}
{military_colony_1_seleucid_desc_short}
{military_colony_1_carthage} Warning - Colony
{military_colony_1_carthage_desc}
{military_colony_1_carthage_desc_short}
{military_colony_1_numidia} military_colony_1 Klerouchike (Military Colony)
{military_colony_1_numidia_desc}
The Ptolemaioi never trusted it’s native population, at least in military matters and never armed them. Thus, they like the other Diadochoi states needed Hellenic colonists for support and mainly for military service. Due to the wealth of the Neilos and enough lands to give around, Ptolemaios Soter and his successors gave tracts of land to any Hellene willing to settle in Aigyptos in return for military service or otherwise, and many took up the offer. Galatians and Jews were also given lands in return for military service, to further increase the Ptolemaic armies. Most Hellenes settled in the cities of Lower Egypt or built estates just outside them, or in the fertile Fayyum depression which became the main recruiting ground for the Ptolemaic cavalry.\n\nAn military_colony_1 increases the loyalty in a region to the Pharaoh, as the Hellenes know the Makedonian Ptolemaic Pharaohs are their warranty for a good life in Aigyptos.
{military_colony_1_numidia_desc_short}
{military_colony_1_eastern} Hellenistic Colony
{military_colony_1_egypt} Mosaba Ponnit (Punic Colony)
{military_colony_1_egypt_desc}
{military_colony_1_egypt_desc_short}
{military_colony_1_saba} Colony
{military_colony_1_saba_desc}
{military_colony_1_saba_desc_short}
{military_colony_1_roman} military_colony_1 (Colony)
{military_colony_1_roman_desc}
{military_colony_1_roman_desc_short}
{military_colony_1_romans_julii} military_colony_1 (Colony)
{military_colony_1_romans_julii_desc}
{military_colony_1_romans_julii_desc_short}
{military_colony_1_romans_brutii} military_colony_1 (Colony)
{military_colony_1_romans_brutii_desc}
{military_colony_1_romans_brutii_desc_short}
{military_colony_2} Colonia
{military_colony_2_desc}
{military_colony_2_desc_short}
{military_colony_2_greek} military_colony_2 (Colony)
{military_colony_2_greek_desc}
Hellenes were well-known as a fearless sea-faring people, true children of the Mediterranean, like the Phoinikoi and other peoples inhabiting the shores of the Mesogeios. Their naval abilities and adventurous spirit led them to areas far from their homelands, often en masse. The reasons for this immigration was often the destruction of their lands by invaders or exile following internal strive for power, but it also served as a way for the founding city to reduce their city's population in times of need. The most common of these reason was, however, the consolidating of trade relationships with other peoples. Merchants, artisans, craftsmen and poor people who experienced hardships at home would build settlements in favourable locations. In the course of time, the Hellenes built hundrends of such settlements in the lands around the Mediterranean, usually near the sea. More often than not, these settlements evolved into large cities, many of them of great importance. Although most military_colony_2i cherished their autonomy, they usually kept bonds of friendship with the city-state of their origin (their 'metropolis', or mother-city) and relied upon their help in times of great peril.
{military_colony_2_greek_desc_short}
{military_colony_2_seleucid} Colonia (Colony)
{military_colony_2_seleucid_desc}
{military_colony_2_seleucid_desc_short}
A Colony has been established by the citizens of this city! It will integrate the inhabitants into the roman way of life but more importantly to us, it will reduce the strain here on

Basileus Seleukeia
06-08-2007, 14:57
Thanks, dude:2thumbsup:
But, a suggestion: I don't think that units that elite and rare as Chaonion Agema and Pezhetairoi should be available through these colonys. I think the most elite unit available should be the Thorakitai.

Watchman
06-08-2007, 15:10
Pezzies should be, as they're by and large just sufficiently wealthy "rural middle class" of Hellenic extraction, if I understood correctly the assorted unit descriptions. Chaeonians are conversely a kind of royal guard recruited specifically from a single major Epirote tribe, and one would imagine it'd be a little hard to transplant them in sufficient numbers elsewhere.

mlp071
06-08-2007, 15:13
OK, your main problem is indeed, the main problem with the mod, the barbarians. Can I say agian, I know is not fair for the barbarians, but what I have released so far is supposed to represent colonialsation which is what the Greeks especaily and the Romanii and Qarthadastim also tended to do.

Which is represented in EB with govermental system, and covers it for all factions.You can build those , as well faction units.
Are you saying that whole govermental and recruiting system in EB is completely flawed and innacurate?

As i said Romani will benefit from that till Marian reforms only, So only benefitiaries of this system are Greek origin factions.

And I do not believe that Hellenistic culture was that vastly superior over any other one.

After all Parthyans and Saka run them out of East fairly easy, supported by local population that was really tired of Hellenic approach of "if you are not Hellen , you are nothing ", or they didn't ?

For the rest as I have stated above, this could very easily be used in an ahistorical fashion, and if you want to do so then that is up to you, but I think that if you introduce some house rules - eg, no more than 1 unit of elites form a city every 2 years, then this mod will not only make eb much more fun to play, but will also add to the historical accuracy of the mod.

Thats all cool , but :

- how can you force AI to follow house rules?

- AI will do either of 2 things:

a) will not make those buildings, therefore only human will have that benefit. And that is only if he plays those specific factions.That makes game for a human player basicaly overwhelming easy.

b) AI will make those buildings(alone or helped by human) and then mass produce elite units in there. That will, again, create unbalanced playfield for factions that cannot do that.I don't know how you can prevent that, but i am really looking forward to see your solution on that.

Over the next few days, after my first few play testings, I hope to post up some house rules that will, if you follow them, prevent this mini-mod being used in an ahistorical fashion.

Again , AI ? How ?

Anyways good luck with your work, i am confident that you will find ways to resolved those issues.

Basileus Seleukeia
06-08-2007, 15:34
Pharnakes, you have to put the export_descr_unit code out of the [Code] brackets. In the EDB it all condenses to 7 lines of text and screws the EDB up.

Pharnakes
06-08-2007, 15:37
OK, yes the greeks got kicked out of the east, but before that, they introduced colonies, (kleruchoi) and used them to provided a pool of troops. The present eb system represents this in that you can recruit greek troops in the east, and that is fine, I have no problems with that, however, imagine you conquered Gaul as a Greek faction, you would not be able to set up the colonies that the Greeks used in real life, that is what this mod strives to do, this mod is not supposed to favour the greeks, in its present form, I would say it favours the Qarthadstim, more than anyone else.

As for the rest of what you say about the AI, they are very fair points, and the simple answer is: I just don't know, I only made this yesterday and I haven't played with it at all yet.

Although at the moment, you seem to be under the delusion that the AI creates perfectly historical armies, but I would say this to you: how is an armies of hastai and principes fighting i the Alps, say, less historicaly accurate than a stack of Lugae imported from Croatia (as the Romanii indulge in at the moment). On the other hand, you could say it isn't more accurate, given where it si recruited, but at least it is interesting and no less accurate.

Pharnakes
06-08-2007, 15:38
Edu??

mlp071
06-08-2007, 17:10
The present eb system represents this in that you can recruit greek troops in the east, and that is fine, I have no problems with that, however, imagine you conquered Gaul as a Greek faction, you would not be able to set up the colonies that the Greeks used in real life, that is what this mod strives to do, this mod is not supposed to favour the greeks, in its present form, I would say it favours the Qarthadstim, more than anyone else.

- Qarthadastim has ability to create Iberian units almost anywhere in Gauls
- Cesar had huge number of Gauls in his army, or that is not true?
- Qarthadastim was fielding mostly mercenary armies, so i am not sure how being able to make heavy afican infantry or Numidian Cavalry in Gauls fits in any realism?
- Nobles that were representing elites (because they are only ones that can afford all that armor) were very small in numbers. Aagin that is presented as general's bodyguards in East.

Although at the moment, you seem to be under the delusion that the AI creates perfectly historical armies, but I would say this to you: how is an armies of hastai and principes fighting i the Alps, say, less historicaly accurate than a stack of Lugae imported from Croatia (as the Romanii indulge in at the moment). On the other hand, you could say it isn't more accurate, given where it si recruited, but at least it is interesting and no
less accurate.

- Historicaly , armies of that period were made of levies and regulars in roughly 40/60% levies to 60/40%regulars.So that would be your "perfect" army. Even today's armies do not have all "elites", ex. USA in Iraq.
No one didn't have huge standing professional armies, but Roma. It would drain countries income completely(again Roma), which would kill my game for me .:no:

- In my campaigns as Roman neighbor(any ) i would end up fighting Neitos in Gauls, in addition to standard Romani units. I rarely see any whole Lugoae armies , by anyone. Unless i want blitz AI so he cannot develop and present challenge to me, which is not point of EB.Same goes for other factions.

- It has been tested dozens of times, here (hence units pictures):

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=129

and here

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=85790

plus some other posts.They are not "perfect", but they are close.I don't see that as illusion , based on those results:yes:

-I don't see how could being able to recruit elites, where they didn't exist , and only for some "privileged" factions would be interesting. But again , i play EB since is closest to most historical presentation of that time.Otherwise i would play Vanilla or other modes , where can i do that.
That is my personal preference though, and i don't expect others to think that way , by any means .

These are just info's , that can be helpfull for you. Since ,as you said you, just started working on this mod, and have alot of work to cover all the playable factions, so game doesn't get unballanced.:2thumbsup:

blacksnail
06-08-2007, 17:50
Pharnakes, don't be discouraged - do what you want to do, it's your mini-mod. EB approval is not necessary for you to put out something you think is neat.

Watchman
06-08-2007, 19:17
...wardogs ? :tomato2:

Pharnakes
06-08-2007, 19:19
eh???

?

Watchman
06-08-2007, 20:33
...surely it wasn't that bad a joke ?
:sorry2:

Pharnakes
06-09-2007, 00:06
sorry for being unforgivably stupid, but I still don't get it. TOo be honest I didn't even realise it was a loke, is it some sort of obscure refrence to vanilla, and trying to say that this minimod is vanillaish?:smash:

Watchman
06-09-2007, 09:07
No, not really. Forget it. A joke's no good if it has to be explained. :shame:

Lovejoy
06-09-2007, 13:41
Uhm... why is everybody bashing this mod? :inquisitive: If you dont like it, dont play it?

At the start of the game you can recruit greek soldiers in alexandria, for exemple, and thats only like 60 year after alxander conquerd it. Why wouldnt the same thing be possible to happen again - 60years later?

and ahistorical elite amires? hah, give me a break! the AI is easy enough as they are and its not like the current EB AI armies is any better. actually it would be nice to meat some factional troops for a change.

The Celt
06-09-2007, 18:20
Uhm... why is everybody bashing this mod? :inquisitive: If you dont like it, dont play it?

At the start of the game you can recruit greek soldiers in alexandria, for exemple, and thats only like 60 year after alxander conquerd it. Why wouldnt the same thing be possible to happen again - 60years later?

and ahistorical elite amires? hah, give me a break! the AI is easy enough as they are and its not like the current EB AI armies is any better. actually it would be nice to meat some factional troops for a change.
Umm who's bashing this mod? Everybody so far has given either insight, questions, or a different opinion on some issues. Nobody's "bashing" this.

I concur with your comment however on AI elites. I almost never see the AI with Elite units, except when there's only like 15 or 12 soldiers left in the unit which means its been around since the startdate.:wall:

mlp071
06-09-2007, 19:11
I concur with your comment however on AI elites. I almost never see the AI with Elite units, except when there's only like 15 or 12 soldiers left in the unit which means its been around since the startdate.:wall:

Well try scripts in those 2 links in my previuos reply.

I am using both, and have no problems with AI sending elites on me past 250BC.And i know other people that are using them didn't have any complaints so far.
You can check test results on both posts.Example, I landed with Casse in Gaul in 200 (waited purposely for Galic and Romani reforms since 234) and was "warmly" greeted with Aedui elites and Romani polybians.

Problem is that AI , as stupid is , will first look to buy mercs , then will make units, as long he has money and recruitment slots available.After that will, if he has any money left, invest into buildings.So you have to force AI to make elites.
But all the factions , not just 5-6 "priviledged" ones!

Off course , you can't expect faction to field bunch of elites 265BC, or if it has like 1-2 provinces(will still have 1 stack of them most likely).If thats what someone is looking for, then that one is out of luck with EB, unfortunately.

And elite units will not make AI anything more challenging on battlefield.

LordCurlyton
06-09-2007, 20:59
Well I will say this: AI elites have never been a problem for me, especially if you fight the Ptolies, who seem to LOVE fielding stacks of Galatian Heavies + Elite Pikes. Though I do use Redmeth's money script now, and I am loving it. Testing it with the Casse (only change I made was upping Eleutheroi bonus to 3300) on H/M, which lets the Eleutheroi still attack you and the AI buys up mercs, yet without quite as much of a given bonus, and it is a beautiful map (almost). The boost I gave the Eleutheroi really kicked in about 20 years after the start date when they just started churning new units out, which had the fortunate effect of making the AI factions pick on each other. The Grey Death is dying as Pahlava is chewing up its backside, Baktria and Saka have been going back and forth, Rome is fielding Polybian units (in fact, for some reason the AI got the Polybian tag in 246 BC, while I thought you had to wait until 242 BC) and has already quarelled with Carthage and is now taking on the Gauls, Epeiros is boned, and the Maks, Getai, and KH all have growing empires.
Aaaanyways, back OT: instead of trying to butcher your way in using a new building complex, is it possible to monitor the number of a type of building extant, perhaps by crating a counter of some sort? I figure if you could do that, then you could remove the whole Homeland/Expansion/Outlying marker buildings and say "Faction A gets to build X Homeland and Y Expansion governments, and as many Type 3/4's as they want" and tailor it to each faction, so one could depict an effective system of ruling (Rome, frex) by giving them 10 Homeland (which I believe is what they get anyways) and, oh, 100 or so Expansion Provinces to build. And then you could give ones that w9uld not have been as efficient maybe 40-50 and ones that basically would have had their core provinces + a little more as loyal subjects can get 20 or less. That way you could have "migrations" if you wanted by building Type 1 Govs farther away and slowly detsroying the ones closest to your start, until you reach your goal. This would require redoing the whole recruitment zones and basically providing every faction with something somewhere for those with odd Homeland preferences, though. Maybe make some regionals as Faction units iff a faction builds an Expansion/Homeland there.
-OR-
Remove the Homeland/Expansion/Outlying markers, make the Governments sequential builds instead of Mil Gov ---> pick your choice, and increase the times for Type 1 and 2 by a lot to represent the acculturation to each level of loyalty. Say 40 turns for Type 2 and 60 for Type 1 (or 60/80). Yes that would be accellerated acculturation but I don't think anyone wants to wait 800 turns or so for any sort of realistic acculturation. And the recruitment would probably have to be redone a bit too.

Of course, if your method works I'll be a happy camper too, Pharnakes, since if I disagree (for whatever reason) with a unit choice I can always edit it myself.

The Celt
06-10-2007, 00:35
Well try scripts in those 2 links in my previuos reply.

I am using both, and have no problems with AI sending elites on me past 250BC.And i know other people that are using them didn't have any complaints so far.
You can check test results on both posts.Example, I landed with Casse in Gaul in 200 (waited purposely for Galic and Romani reforms since 234) and was "warmly" greeted with Aedui elites and Romani polybians.

Problem is that AI , as stupid is , will first look to buy mercs , then will make units, as long he has money and recruitment slots available.After that will, if he has any money left, invest into buildings.So you have to force AI to make elites.
But all the factions , not just 5-6 "priviledged" ones!

Off course , you can't expect faction to field bunch of elites 265BC, or if it has like 1-2 provinces(will still have 1 stack of them most likely).If thats what someone is looking for, then that one is out of luck with EB, unfortunately.

And elite units will not make AI anything more challenging on battlefield.
Thx for the Tip Mlp. And the AI is fine on the battle field for me. That is, as long as they're a large enough force.(Half-full stacks are quite a pain.)But then again, I always let the AI sort itself out before attacking them.

On the mercs I have to say your script has worked beautifully! I only see faction specific troops in most stacks now.(Hardly any mercs sofar!) So let me just say hats off to yah my friend for your fine minimod!:2thumbsup:

Alexander777
06-12-2007, 02:37
I am very glad to see that you have actually made this mod!! I had a lot of fum defending you on that other thread and I think this is a brilliant idea. However, I have a few questions/clarifications to ask:
First, did I read that every faction can recruit all its factional units? Not just mid-level, but elite too? Is that by design, or just because it hasn't been changed yet? Also, how long does it take to build these colonial buildings, and does the type have any effect on regional recruitment? Speaking of which, can regionals still be recruited? Finally, I'm not sure how to put this minimod in my copy of EB, especially because its not on the computer I use to get on the internet with, its on another. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

russia almighty
06-18-2007, 03:55
Interesting mod .

Treshka
06-20-2007, 01:37
first of all, great idea for a mod, second a question pharnakes, I implement your codes but they dont work. The first load picture apear but then it goes to the desk like CTD, and Im sure is the codes becouse when I put the original ones there is no problem, so can you check that out and put the right codes please?, and again great idea for a mod (no more running thousand of miles again) PD sorrry for the english

Pharnakes
06-23-2007, 10:40
Are you trying to use the actual code, or are you trying to use the files?

Alexander777, well, how did you get EB on to it?

Treshka
06-23-2007, 23:22
I tried the files

Kepper
08-10-2007, 17:59
I cant get your mod to work, every time it crash to desktop, any idea:help:

Treshka
09-05-2007, 01:06
hey pharnakes are you still working on this, or no more? just asking becouse I think is a very good idea