PDA

View Full Version : Age of Warlords

The Blind King of Bohemia
06-14-2007, 00:29
The first release of Age of Warlords is finally ready after two years in the making! This release is a BETA, and contains only the first period, Angevin Ascendancy.

You can get it here:

Age of Warlords Version 1.0 BETA (http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Stats/BKB_Age_of_Warlords_Version_1.0_BETA.exe)

And the first patch, Version 1.2, can be found here:

Age of Warlords BETA Version 1.2 Patch (http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Stats/BKB_Age_of_Warlords_Version_1.2_BETA_Patch.exe)

This patch is required to get the game working, and makes important changes to the campaign, particularly if you plan to play as the Indian factions. Please ensure you have 1.0 installed first.

However, you will also need the Version 1.3 patch to enjoy the game fully, and that can be obtained from here:

Age of Warlords Version 1.3 Patch (http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Stats/BKB_Age_of_Warlords_Version_1.3_BETA_Patch.exe)

This version fixes custom and instant campaign crashes, and also includes many graphical improvements, largely thanks to Midnight and OmarPacha. Please install this over Version 1.2.

Now, the Age of Warlords first release features:

* A total new era, Angevin Ascendancy, beginning in 1154AD, when some of Europe's most powerful monarchs, including Henry II and Friedrich Barbarossa rule their respective thrones!

* A brand new map, featuring North-Western Europe, northern Iberia, northern Italy, Scandinavia, the North Atlantic, and, for the first time in Medieval mod, Greenland and parts of North America, all created lovingly in the style of the map of the original Medieval - Total War! Why concentrate on Continental Europe when the lucrative benefits of an overseas empire may be up for grabs?

* Almost 80 brand new units, with a further 70 more imported from the BKB Super Mod, making nearly 150 additional units in total! These include Cornish Spearmen, Gwent Longbowmen, Hermandades, Hirdmen, Konstaflers, Spadaccino, Teulu, Bidauts, Orkneyjar Infantry, Toulousain Communal Militia, Templar Sergeants, Greenland Settlers, and Flemish Knights!

* 22 playable factions! These include the returning English, French, Danes, Aragonese, Spanish and Holy Roman Empire, plus many brand new ones, such as the County of Hainaut, Pisa, Genoa, and the Norse!

* Recreate the events of the Albigensian Crusade with the presence of Catharism in the south of France, represented by another new faction, the County of Toulouse!

* Play as the 'Skraeling' Pagan indigenous hostiles of Greenland and North America! The Dorset Eskimo and Algonquin Tribes each feature exclusive units, while these two factions benefit from a brand new, totally unique tech tree, new map pieces, new portraits, and offer a completely different and exciting experience! Will you drive off the Western invaders or take the fight to them?

* Unprecedented focus on Medieval Norse-Celtic warfare around the Irish Sea, with the Kingdom of Galloway, the Kingdom of Argyll, the Kingdom of Man, the Scots, the Kingdom of Gwynedd, Deheubarth, the Ui Neill and the Kingdom of Connaught all vying for supremacy and contest to English dominance. Take control of famed leaders such as Somerled, Fergus of Galloway and Godred V of Man and lead your armies to glory!

* Numerous new agents, including a Cathar Priest, a Heretic Priest, Jewish Master Merchant and the dreaded Shaman!

* Numerous new ships, including Canoes, Nyvaigs and Nordic and Manx versions of the Knarr!

* Many new buildings and establishments, including a Cathar Church, Templar Headquarters, Whaling Station, Axesmith, the Leidang, the 'Rising Out', Cattle Farms, Scutage, and Law Courts!

* Proper Faction Shields in battle for the new factions!

* New factional titles, including ‘Royal Magistrates’, ‘Grand Masters of the Templars’, 'Lord Executioners', 'Champion of the Joust' and leaders of themed Heretical cults. Assign them at your peril!

* Adjustments to original unit stats and changes to original faction AI.

* Strong realism in terms of overseas expansion - the conquest of certain North Atlantic regions and all of North America made extra difficult by restrictions placed on building and recruitment - here horses and heavier units cannot be trained, while only a handful of buildings can be constructed, with a fort the maximum defensive structure available!

* Heightened 'Psychological' Warfare - Indian units fear horsemen and artillery while lesser French Catholic troops are scared by their 'Heretic' Cathar enemies, who in turn are wary of fanatical Knights Templar soldiers!

* Many new graphics, including new unit shields and flags for the new factions!

* New Trade goods - White furs, Exotic birds, Sulphur, Arms and Armour, Cattle and more!

* Hundreds of famous kings and new heroes added, all real!

* Brand new names for the new factions!

* New Loading Screen and Age of Warlords logo!

* New Music!

* Deadpage Coords!

* An Easy Auto-Install!

* Plus much, much more!

VERY IMPORTANT - A fresh install of MTW and VI is needed for this mod, it is not compatible with other mods and the normal campaigns.

THERE IS NO GLORIOUS ACHIEVEMENT MODE IN THIS MOD - IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO GIVEN THE THREE SEPARATE MAPS FOR EACH PERIOD.

Happy gaming http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif

------------------------Edit by drone---------------------------
Age of Warlords v1.0 local link (https://forums.totalwar.org/mizu/mizus/files/files/MTW/Stats/BKB_Age_of_Warlords_Version_1.0_BETA.exe)
Age of Warlords v1.2 patch local link (https://forums.totalwar.org/mizu/mizus/files/files/MTW/Stats/BKB_Age_of_Warlords_Version_1.2_BETA_Patch.exe)
Age of Warlords v1.3 patch local link (https://forums.totalwar.org/mizu/mizus/files/files/MTW/Stats/BKB_Age_of_Warlords_Version_1.3_BETA_Patch.exe)
----------------------------------------------------------------

06-14-2007, 00:35
Now, some people I would like to thank:

* Barocca - cleaned up the palettes on many pieces for me plus provided an immeasurable amount of help when I needed it. A top bloke.

* The Hellenic Mod team - for creating the brilliant battering ram and Eskimo bifs, and the base of the new Indian bif, truly great work guys.

* Iustinus - for all his help on the Indians and making the fantastic new skin for their bif and the new weapons.

* Riadach - for help with Irish research.

* Cegorach - for coming up with the 'Change Battle Mode' idea and generally being a good guy.

* Duke John - for his excellent new skins and animations.

* The maker of the Russian expansion mod - for use of some of his brilliant shield designs and info_pics.

* Midnight -for agreeing to make some brilliant new Eskimo portraits.

* OmarPacha - for kindly volunteering to 'clean up' and revise most of my review panel bifs and battle icons.

* Anyone who has posted in the Age of Warlords thread and has followed the mod's progress, thanks for you constant support throughout these past two years.

* And a very special thanks to Angus McBride, who I dedicate this mod to after his tragic passing last month. His work inspired many of the units in this mod and without him it probably would not have come to pass.

If I've forgotten anyone, I'm terribly sorry, please let me know.

Now, onto problems. There is a reason why this is a BETA, and I'll list the main two below:

1) Some crashes are evident. I strongly recommend playing with matteosartori off. It seems that the Norse may be more problematic than others, and I'm hoping you guys can help me find out why that is with the aid of this release. Some, like the Galwegians and Isles for example, I have played with for over 150 years without problem, so don't fear, there is a lot of stability with many factions also.

2) Now here's the more serious and perplexing one for the time being. For some bizarre reason, the Indian factions cannot move their men across seas, despite having canoes and ports in the right places. I have tried giving them Carracks even, but to no avail. The strange thing is that Catholic factions have no problem invading America and moving their units between these waters. Of course, this greatly hampers play with the Indian factions, as you can't support men on other islands nor invade Europe.

Now while myself and some others look to remedy this I have come up with a temporary solution that the patch provides. I have added land bridges between certain areas of North America and Greenland, so that units can be supported and that the Eskimo and Indian can fight each other. Its not ideal, as I don't believe you can progress any further than Greenland, but it is the best I can offer at this moment in time.

Now any bugs aside from these two (and I still want to know as much detail as possible about crashes anyway, so I can fix them), please list here. You know the Indian one, so PLEASE do not state it again, I am MORE than aware of it.

Here are things that I hope to improve/fix/add in future releases:

1) Hopefully a new Eskimo bif for their units, I'm not that happy with the current one, I want proper Eskimos!
2) Possibly new Indian battle architecture?
3) Possibly new Indian battle voices? (Any volunteers on this front would be greatly appreciated)
4) The Trail by Fire and Battle period (?)
5) ?

Anyway, I THINK that's everything, if I've forgotten anything I'll add it here. I hope you enjoy the game and please remember before you post everything wrong with it I did slug two years on it, so some kind words wouldn't go amiss.

danfda
06-14-2007, 14:27
Yay...downloading now.

scotty
06-14-2007, 15:57
Came up with this when I tried to start it -

"Unkown faction label used to indicate unit advantage: column 12, row 176

FN_DORSET"

been following this for ages now sounds like its going to be great

06-14-2007, 16:23
Did you have Viking Invasion installed mate? Has anyone else been experiencing such problems? Sorry about this if its a problem on my end.

scotty
06-14-2007, 16:43
yeah i got VI and the 2.01 patch, does it work with the patch?

06-14-2007, 18:57
You're spot on mate, but I've fixed the problem and a 1.2 patch with the amendments and a couple more fixes is imminent. This could be a pretty busy couple of days!

Alright I've uploaded it, 1.2, it eradicates the need for the first patch, but I must wait for Tosa to come on before he can give me the link. I'll post it here as soon as I'm done.

06-14-2007, 21:50
I've uploaded Patch 1.2 on MegaUpload for the time being but I will update it with a better link later on:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2QGTBEHT

With this you don't need the 1.1 Patch, but if you've already installed that just install this over it. You shouldn't have any more problems getting it to work now.

edyzmedieval
06-14-2007, 22:05
The day has come! We love you BKB! ~:cheers:

06-14-2007, 22:09
The day has come! We love you BKB! ~:cheers:

The feeling's mutual Ed mate.:laugh4:

edyzmedieval
06-14-2007, 22:14
O RLY? :laugh4:
Nice work mate. ~:)
I love the fact that MTW modding is still up and running. My favourite game shall never die!

Antagonist
06-14-2007, 23:06
Congratulations BKB, downloading now. I know it'll be worth the wait. :2thumbsup:

Antagonist

seireikhaan
06-15-2007, 09:02
Ok, I downloaded the game and there's a few things I'd like to note. First, the custom battles weren't quite working right. When I tried to back out of the custom battle menu, it crashed. When I tried to fight a custom battle, it also crashed. The campaign ran smoothly enough for a while. I was playing as the Algonqian tribe. However, after a while, it crashed. The only thing I can think that I did different that turn was that I built a battering ram. One thing to note, I haven't yet gotten to any actual fighting, I'll report back as soon as I do.

BTW, nice job with the NA tech tree. Only downside was that it was kinda limited and I got through in pretty fast. I hope this helps you start identifying any bugs there might be in the beta.

scotty
06-15-2007, 11:28
Thanks its working now :beam: but I've found another problem. Playing as the kingdom of man it CTD on the first turn. I was trying to build a farm if that helps

06-15-2007, 12:05
Thanks its working now :beam: but I've found another problem. Playing as the kingdom of man it CTD on the first turn. I was trying to build a farm if that helps

I've just done the same thing mate on the installation version and built several farms and the game worked fine with Man. Did you have Matteo Sartori on? Was the full map visible? I would recommend playing without that for the time being.

Greaterkhaan, you are right about custom battles, for some bizarre reason they are not working on the installation, but are working fine on my game. And furthermore, rather insanely battles are working fine in campaigns. I will look into this intensively and hope to get a further update out today, as I've never had a problem with custom battles before, I can only apologize about this.

And the NA Tech Tree is a bit small but there are several reasons for this:

1) The Indians are obviously not as advanced as the Western nations.

2) They can reach optimum levels quicker and put up a better defence against invasion.

3) In realistic terms, there is only so much you can do with Medieval buildings in terms of modding, and I couldn't really offer up anything truly unique.

Still, I think its pretty large and there's some intricacy to it.

scotty
06-15-2007, 12:28
its ok now I've tried again and it only happens if I use enter to finish a turn. Seems fine if I just click on next turn

06-15-2007, 12:40
I don't think I knew you could use enter to end a turn mate! A strange one but if it keeps CTD's to a minimum I'd obviously recommend ending turn the conventional way, but I couldn't vouch as for why that would cause the game to crash I'm afraid.

cegorach
06-15-2007, 13:34
I've uploaded Patch 1.2 on MegaUpload for the time being but I will update it with a better link later on:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2QGTBEHT

With this you don't need the 1.1 Patch, but if you've already installed that just install this over it. You shouldn't have any more problems getting it to work now.

Can you upload the patch somewhere else too ? I really hate Megaupload...

I would like to see how it works for now, but got this error message with FN_DORSET unrecognised by the engine.:embarassed:

06-15-2007, 13:37
Try the first post mate, the amended patch is there. I cannot fathom for the life of me the Custom Battles problem, they work fine in my version but not in the installer. If you get a chance Ceg could you take a look, and let me know if you've come across the problem before?

cegorach
06-15-2007, 14:44
You were not using Gnome, weren't you ?

So what was it - Dragon ? Something else ?

Problems with custom battles can be caused by minor errors in rear section of each units' data.:inquisitive:

06-15-2007, 14:50
You were not using Gnome, weren't you ?

So what was it - Dragon ? Something else ?

Problems with custom battles can be caused by minor errors in rear section of each units' data.:inquisitive:

I just edited the unit prod the way it was, the default way. The thing is Ceg the one I have released is the one I have, and the latter plays fine. I've never had a problem like this before. Its bugging the hell out of me

cegorach
06-15-2007, 15:13
Hmm It still manages to freeze Gnome (on unit 202). Actually I have similar problem with custom battles in PMTW 2.0 ( English Civil War campaign) - campaign works fine...

Maybe the solution will be exactly the same, I will see.:inquisitive:

P.S. Those native bifs look fine - I was worried you would use these 'eskimos' - still mine are better (at least I think so).:beam:

06-15-2007, 15:19
Different kinds of Indians mate. I think yours are better suiting of the Iroquois that later period, and I really like Iustinus' ones, I think he did a grand job.

The Eskimo clearly aren't that great, but I am working on changing those.

For the minute I would avoid custom battles for anyone downloading the mod. Just stick to the campaign till I have eradicated the problem

fresco
06-15-2007, 21:28
@BKB: I've always CTD when I click for the first time "next turn"!
I've already installed a fresh copy of MTW,VI,Age of Warlords and patch 1.2 of your mod,and I not use matteosartori for view the entire map!:help: :help:

06-15-2007, 21:39
Are you pressing 'Enter' mate? Try just clicking end turn instead, because that shouldn't happen, no matter who you are playing as.

axel
06-15-2007, 22:43
Hi mate
I cant download the 1.2 patch it give s a server error is there sommewhere else where i cane download the patch mate??? or is it possible to send it ?
best regards axel

06-15-2007, 23:08
Have you tried the link in the first post mate? That's working fine for me.

axel
06-15-2007, 23:39
hi mate
i got the one of the first post 1.2 is that simler to the other one?? if so then its gaming time :2thumbsup:

06-15-2007, 23:46
1.2 is the same one mate. Just stay away from custom battles for the time being, there's a strange problem which I am in the midst of sorting out.

Sigma
06-16-2007, 02:18
Wow, and me thinking there was hardly any finished or good mods for MTW, this is grand, good work :)

fresco
06-16-2007, 04:47
@BKB: I've always CTD when I click for the first time "next turn"!
I've already installed a fresh copy of MTW,VI,Age of Warlords and patch 1.2 of your mod,and I not use matteosartori for view the entire map!:help: :help:

This happens only if I choose "Huge units"!!! Any:help:

06-16-2007, 10:44
I'm sorry mate I've no idea, I don't usually play with huge units on. I think the biggest I've got though is 100, so I'm not sure why the game would crash, especially on the campaign map. Its best though we limit the CTDs as much as possible though the little things however.

fresco
06-16-2007, 13:33
Its best though we limit the CTDs as much as possible though the little things however.

For me this problem is an important thing because I play with MTW only with huge units!!!!:wall: :wall:
However very compliment for your great new mod!!!!

axel
06-16-2007, 15:18
Hi mate
I cant play the mod mate :help:
I done a new install with VI and all patches and i rename it becose i got more mods on my computer, so in my Programs i done a map named Total war AoW (Age of Warlords) in this map i got a fresh MTW with VI and all updates, i installed the AoW mod also in this map and copieed a shortcut, but the game dont work mate it just runs the normal MTW VI and this is wot i always do with mods and they work fine mate do you perhabs know wot this got be ? cane you help me mate?
Cheers mate,

axel
06-16-2007, 21:03
Hi mate
problem is solved for somme reason it installed it in to the MTW folder insted of the main MTW.

Ok fist CTD i started to play the Kingdom of Deneubarth and wanted to atack the rebel faction and i click on next turn and it CTD, this wos the first time i clickt on next turn so i tryed it again with the same faction and the same units and again it CTD, so i tryed to play the englisch to check and this whent ok so i guess there s somme bug with the Kingdom of Deneubarth,

so i hope this will help you mate if i see more ill report it to you mate
cheers for now:2thumbsup:

axel
06-16-2007, 22:11
I have question mate
When i installed the mod it when in to the folder cald medieval-total war (the MTW folder in the main MTW ) so i kopieed all wot wos in it and paste it on the main folder, so i got the mod 2 times in my MTW and this wos to much space in my MTW so i deleted everything wot wos in the MTW folder and kopieed new ones from a new Medieval total war on my computer my question is if you instal a mod is there sommething going to be installed in the medieval-total war (the MTW folder in the main MTW ) i meen is it good wot i done or did i damaged the game maybe sommewhere????
i most say the game works fine the only thing wot whent wrong wos the bug

cheers:2thumbsup:

axel
06-17-2007, 00:03
Hi mate
A other CTD with the county of Hainaut same problem first next turn and then it whent CTD
cheers mate

scotty
06-17-2007, 01:44
I keep getting a few more CTD on the first turn when I click on next year. I think It happend with Scotland, Denmark, Galloway, Norway, Welsh Gwynedd, Deheubarth, Connacht,

western
06-17-2007, 07:08
I'm getting similar to Scotty and Axel: CTD on first end turn as Toulouse, on second as Castilian Leonese. 1.2 patch installed, no matteosartori. :help:

Baron von Manteuffel
06-17-2007, 09:24
Hi, What directs the game to look for the portraits in campmap/Portraits/Angevin folder? If it is by the culture and the Override function for the portraits in the startpos file, how does it know to look in the Angevin folder? ~:)

06-17-2007, 13:41
Very strange - I just played the installation version, the ones you guys have, and I got through 50 years as Deheubarth without crashing. I take it you didn't have huge unit sizes on either? I need to experiment with more factions. Had you done anything in those two turns? I need to try and recreate it if possible.

Manteuffel, at the start of the startpos file I have stated that the files should look for the Angevin folder in terms of textures, and I believe this must apply to portraits as it works in the game.

scotty
06-17-2007, 14:08
I've been playing it with default settings no matteosartori and I've tried not doing anything at all and just clicking next turn. It starts 'thinking' then CTD. I have managed to do about 30+ years with the Algonquin Tribes with no problems at all though.

axel
06-17-2007, 14:59
same here mate, it just CTD in the first turn did have the same problem last night with the scotts only this time it happend after 4 turns

06-17-2007, 17:12
Again I have just played through 90 turns with Toulouse with no crashes.

Are any of you using the gold version of medieval and VI by any chance?

scotty
06-17-2007, 17:24
no mate just the normal one.

King Josias the Chivalrous
06-17-2007, 18:32
Again I have just played through 90 turns with Toulouse with no crashes.

Are any of you using the gold version of medieval and VI by any chance?

I'm using the Gold Version, and I can get through 4 turns at most with any faction, most only last 1 turn and it crashes though. I downloaded the patch and everything.

I should add, the normal game crashes after a few turns unless I have it on the highest resolution, I've never understood why.

Normal game runs fine at highest resolution though.

But, when I play the mod, I turn huge units off, I have it on the highest resolution, and still, I can only play it for a few turns.

It sucks, cause it looks like an awesome mod, and I loved your Supermod.

06-17-2007, 19:05
I can only apologize while I look further. So I take it this problem is with every faction then? I just got through 60 turns with Hainaut with no problems either. The only difference I can think of is that my other installation (the one I actually uploaded) does not have the 1.2 patch installed over it (I did the amendments manually) so I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.

With this and the custom battles problem I'm afraid things haven't turned out too well at the minute but I can assure you, whilst I admit there is the odd CTD, it shouldn't be anything like this. It looks bad I know but once again I'm stumped as to what is causing this.

axel
06-17-2007, 20:49
Thats no problem mate if i cane help you with any thing you let me know, i think its only a small thing wot will be fixed good things takes time mate :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

western
06-17-2007, 20:52
BKB

I wondered if somehow fact that I'd chosen to install in another folder, not Total War folder, might have contributed. So I reinstalled, this time not browsing for another folder but just letting the installer put it where it wanted. Same problem - crash on first end turn as Toulouse, even without attempting to do anything.

Since you've got a non-crashing version, this is a real puzzler - though oddly same thing happened with Macsen Rufus' Ancient Mod a week or so back - his version worked fine, but the uploaded version crashed (including for him). I think his solution was around deleting redundant stuff from vanilla - in the uploaded version either he had deleted too much or too little, causing clashes - but that was only his best guess.

Good luck with the hunt. It,s hopeful that there is a non-crashing version to fall back on.:beam: By the way, I'm not using Gold.

Minister of Fear
06-18-2007, 13:14
~:cheers: ~:cheers: Ah, looking forward to again playing Medieval TW. MTW is the gift that keeps on giving and modders like BKB are the reason this is the case. I think we owe you a few pints mate.

Meneldil
06-18-2007, 20:42
Good luck for solving the issue BKB. Modding TW games is sometimes a pain in the back.
I'll re-install MTW and try your mod as soon as we'll get a less buggy version ;)

Minister of Fear
06-19-2007, 01:41
Installed MTW plus patch 1.1, then VI plus patch 2.01, then AOW mod and patch. My two attempts to start campaign as Flems and Aragonese both crashed as the campaign was loading.

Will reinstall MTW, patch 1.1, and VI sans patch 2.01, then AOW mod and patch and see how that goes. Will let everyone know how I go.

May I ask: what is matteosartori? and how and where do I turn it off?

Baron von Manteuffel
06-19-2007, 05:15
Tried the faction Hainaut 4 times with different unit sizes and video settings, but it always crashes 1st year, end of turn. I'm now using the Algonquin tribes and have played about 10 turns without any major problems. I did however notice when you receive messages about heirs and emissaries, there is no picture. I just thought you should know.

06-19-2007, 10:33
There is meant to be no event pictures for the Indians, because otherwise they would be Arab ones and I didn't want that.

I'm going to have an intensive look at what could be causing the problems today, hopefully I'll post back later with good news.

axel
06-20-2007, 22:54
Hi mate
I tryed to play the eskimo tribe all whent well for about 6 turns then CTD i trye to find somme thing but no luck mate :no: i hope you do

ULC
06-21-2007, 16:10
I haven't tried the mod yet, so I can't really give out any information (by the way, looks great:2thumbsup:). Is it possible that it has to deal withy what the computer is doing? Do any of you have "show computer moves" on? Could it also be a minor typo (or series of some such) in "SetAttributes:", "SetBorderInfo:", or "SetNieghbors:"? Maybe it has something to do with localization files, particularly in "Changes" and "Names"? Did you do anything to the files when you packed and uploaded them? Could the packing and uploading have changed them (Not an expert on this, but I've heard of files that do corrupt when packed)?

I'll be downloading later when I get back from work, so I think I can help you better then.

King Noob the Stupid
06-24-2007, 17:42
deleted by user due to sheer stupidity of question

Sardoniscorn
06-26-2007, 12:35
I've been anticipating this mod for a long time... Very glad you're still working on it.
Did a clean install of MTW and VI. Loaded the mod and 1.2 patch. Started campaign as the Norse. Ended my first turn by clicking the button. On the dawn of the second turn the Eskimos invaded one of my provinces in Greenland, and although i was heavily outnumbered i still took out a hell of a lot of them before i was overrun. The province was lost and i got a message declaring it. I then received a ransom request as well as several requests for alliances and Vices/Virtues message after which the game crashed.
Could the error somehow be connected with the messages? This is shaping up to be a truly great mod, lets hope these bugs are fixable.

King Noob the Stupid
06-26-2007, 22:02
Whenever I start a game (with 1.2 installed over 1.0 installed over VI 2.01), it crashes. Depending on the faction I choose, some lead to immediate CTD after the campaign has loaded (the kind of CTD people with a Geforce 5xxx or newer will know), others will let me have a short glimpse of the map and only CTD when I move the mouse or press any key. Vanilla campaign seems to work with the same installation of the game, the other installation (on another HD partition) runs like a charm.

06-30-2007, 18:50
Alright lads I finally had a chance to take a good look and I believe I've sorted out the major problems - the custom battle crash and the quick campaign CTDs. You may still get the odd CTD in campaign mode but rest assured it will be much less frequent and later on - I played 100 years without crash as Toulouse yesterday. You can download patch 1.3 now:

BKB Age of Warlords Version 1.3 Patch (http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Stats/BKB_Age_of_Warlords_Version_1.3_BETA_Patch.exe)

Aside from those two major fixes, this version also includes:

* With thanks to OmarPacha, many revisions and amendments to review panel and battle icons, which are absolutely stunning work, full props to Omar for these.

* With thanks to Midnight, 3 brilliant new Eskimo portraits - he truly has achieved magnificent results I'm sure you'll agree, the guy is extremely talented and hopefully there will be more to follow in a future update.

* Fixes to minor bugs - many "could not translate" names and descriptions have been fixed while the Welsh factions now have Welsh surnames (for some bizarre reason they had Scots surnames in the release.

I hope you are now able to enjoy the game a lot more, rest assured this was the version I intended to be released three weeks ago.

Baron von Manteuffel
06-30-2007, 20:43
I still crashed after installing the 1.3 update, sorry. I tried Hainaut, crash first turn. Then the English, and lasted two turns. On the second turn, I got into a civil war and right after I chose a side, it crashed. Sorry, I know you've worked hard on this. Is it possible to make an installer from the version you have on your computer? I mean, you seem to have no problems with your version. Something had to have been changed, corrupted, etc. with the download. ~:)

06-30-2007, 21:04
Are the custom battles working okay? At least then I can see if the problems are wholesale. Fresco appeared to indicate that his was now working okay.

Baron von Manteuffel
06-30-2007, 21:44
Just played a custom battle with Hainaut and the English with no problems. ~:)

Duke Dick
06-30-2007, 21:58
Hi; just downloaded the patch, and first things first, it worked for me. The mod doesn't crash for me anymore and the custom battles work fine, but now there is a newer even more fouler problem.

My computer has started to get a foul smell about it, and I think it might have something to do with your mod. It has been eminating ever since I downloaded it; can you work on a new patch to get rid of this shit mod smell?

It is really getting to me.

06-30-2007, 22:15
I still crashed after installing the 1.3 update, sorry. I tried Hainaut, crash first turn. Then the English, and lasted two turns. On the second turn, I got into a civil war and right after I chose a side, it crashed. Sorry, I know you've worked hard on this. Is it possible to make an installer from the version you have on your computer? I mean, you seem to have no problems with your version. Something had to have been changed, corrupted, etc. with the download. ~:)

I installed a new copy of the game mate, put 1.2 on it and then 1.3 and Hainaut and England work fine for me, I'm not sure what to say. Hainaut lasted at least 30 years. Is anyone else experiencing these kind of problems? Are any factions more stable for you than they were on the previous install? And is the Hainaut crash a recurrent thing.

Duke Dick I think you will find that is infact not my mod but the scent of your bell, I suggest you do something about it immediately.

Warluster
06-30-2007, 22:29
DD, that can't be the mod, but the game. Perhaps you have other games installed, and your computer couldn't handle it?

The mod doesn't change System Requirements, so it has to be something else.

King Noob the Stupid
06-30-2007, 23:56
I can play custom battles now, too, but still no campaign

Baron von Manteuffel
07-01-2007, 02:10
In the ANGEVIN_BUILD_PROD.TXT, the ownership of the religious buildings LATERAN_PALACE thru the TEMPLAR_PRIORY are listed like this ex: (FN_PAPIST} Is that right, with the parenthesis?

Koval
07-01-2007, 04:25
YES! The 1.3 patch seems to have done it for me. No CTDs on the campaign map as yet. Truly great mod. It was definitely worth the wait. Well done.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon. Although some campaigns lasted for quite a while, the CTDs eventually came thick and fast, much like the hordes of Eskimos over my Norse Greenland provinces. I've found that having the campaign map resolution set to 800 x 600 seems to help somewhat.

07-01-2007, 11:06
YES! The 1.3 patch seems to have done it for me. No CTDs on the campaign map as yet. Truly great mod. It was definitely worth the wait. Well done.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon. Although some campaigns lasted for quite a while, the CTDs eventually came thick and fast, much like the hordes of Eskimos over my Norse Greenland provinces. I've found that having the campaign map resolution set to 800 x 600 seems to help somewhat.

Who are you playing with mate, the Norse? Of all the factions they do seem to be the most problematic, how many years are we talking here? Most other factions seem a lot more stable, but figuring out why the Norse are troublesome is one of my most pressing matters.

Baron those were some buildings that did not make the game, I believe they are now unbuildable but I shall look into removing them fully and see if it makes a difference.

Baron von Manteuffel
07-01-2007, 15:17
I tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, to no avail. :no: Started another campaign with the English and thought I had something good going. Even managed to get by the civil war where it had crashed earlier. After about 6 turns CTD. ~:( I started another campaign with The Lordship of Galloway. The game loaded and when I got to the campaign map, I touched the mouse and got a CTD. :shrug: This is a shame, because this looks like the best mod to come along since your Supermod which I still enjoy. I like what you've done here. :yes: The new units look great, and it'll be worth the wait. P.S. - I tried deleting those unused buildings from the ANGEVIN_BUILD_PROD.TXT, and got an error message "unknown building horse_breeder(50)". :stupido2: I guess there's more to it then simply deleting the entries in the Building Text. :wall:

OmarPacha
07-01-2007, 21:04
Today I've downloaded and installed AoW and I must say it really looks like an outstanding mod ~;) .
I've tried to start 3 campaigns: Manx, Argyll and Dorset Eskimo, unfortunately all of these crashed to desktop soon after the loading screen, I was hardly able to have a glance at the map.
Maybe there's a major problem or it is something simple but very difficult to detect, I'll make further trials and give feedback for anything might be of interest.~:handball:
Cheers

Koval
07-02-2007, 04:51
Who are you playing with mate, the Norse? Of all the factions they do seem to be the most problematic, how many years are we talking here?

My campaign as the Danish lasted for quite a while, perhaps 10 - 15 turns. Same with the Scots. The other factions i've tried, including the Norse, give out after about 4 turns.

OmarPacha
07-02-2007, 13:09
I confirm that custom battle are OK.~:thumb:
I've played more than a dozen involving all factions as attacker or defender and none got any problem. Same thing for battles with more than a CPU playing faction and for small units size.

07-02-2007, 14:40
Well custom battles seem to now be fine, but the campaign thing does seem highly abnormal, those crashes you mention Omar and Koval are not good at all, I expect most factions to get at least 50 years into the game now, and definitely not 4. I'm sure even my version that should be the same as yours does not do anything like that.

Yesterday I looked at the neighbours and borders in real detail and did not notice anything truly irregular, only a few changes I'd like to make for gameplay/realism purposes. I didn't really see anything that could crash the game so now I'm going to have to look elsewhere for the root cause.

OmarPacha
07-02-2007, 20:05
Hi all,
I noticed that replacing the 4 new campaign map muslim musics (Arab Strat Summer, Arab Strat Winter) with the original MTW ones, the AoW mod works wonderfully, I can't absolutely say how it is, but it flows perfectly.
The game doesn't seem to care that for non-muslim campaigns those musics are not to be read.
It's quite abnormal indeed as I didn't find anything wrong in the musics format, the files might have been corrupted during upload or even after (I only have a hard suspicion on the third new music that is > 65MB that could affect something like the maximum amount of memory allowed for cached files).

Now- I've got 5 saved games (Algonquin, Argyll, Eskimos, Manx and Pisans) all evolved past the 1164;
In Dorset Eskimo campaign I've been playing until 1186 when, 1 province left and outnumbered by Algonquin, decided to give up.
Pisans played up to Papal respawn in 1173.
It should be tested if same result can be achieved removing only 3rd music but first, I'd like to know if someone else is going to try this solution.

I found also 2 strange things;
Algonquin agents walk on the water, yes, they swim happily from one sea to another and sometimes take rest out of map borders;
In custom battle, some Eskimo units increase available cash, they have a negative hiring cost, no idea how it happens.
I know well these could be problems related to my own installation of the game, therefore any kind of feedback will be greatly appreciated.

07-02-2007, 20:18
Hi all,
I noticed that replacing the 4 new campaign map muslim musics (Arab Strat Summer, Arab Strat Winter) with the original MTW ones, the AoW mod works wonderfully, I can't absolutely say how it is, but it flows perfectly.
The game doesn't seem to care that for non-muslim campaigns those musics are not to be read.
It's quite abnormal indeed as I didn't find anything wrong in the musics format, the files might have been corrupted during upload or even after (I only have a hard suspicion on the third new music that is > 65MB that could affect something like the maximum amount of memory allowed for cached files).

Now- I've got 5 saved games (Algonquin, Argyll, Eskimos, Manx and Pisans) all evolved past the 1164;
In Dorset Eskimo campaign I've been playing until 1186 when, 1 province left and outnumbered by Algonquin, decided to give up.
Pisans played up to Papal respawn in 1173.
It should be tested if same result can be achieved removing only 3rd music but first, I'd like to know if someone else is going to try this solution.

I found also 2 strange things;
Algonquin agents walk on the water, yes, they swim happily from one sea to another and sometimes take rest out of map borders;
In custom battle, some Eskimo units increase available cash, they have a negative hiring cost, no idea how it happens.
I know well these could be problems related to my own installation of the game, therefore any kind of feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Very interesting regarding the music thing mate, hopefully some others are able to try that and see if they get the same results.

The agents thing I will also look into, sounds very odd. The custom Eskimo thing is quite easily fixable I believe, I'll see if I have the same problems too.

Good work here Omar, findings like this can really help me get to the crux of the matter hopefully.

Baron von Manteuffel
07-03-2007, 02:16
The music thing didn't work for me. I tested with County of Toulouse which is always a quick crash for me and it crashed on the second turn. Nice try though. It's good that people are looking and testing. Hopefully a fix will be found soon. :yes:

Koval
07-03-2007, 04:31
After replacing the music files, I tried to load my Gwynedd campaign which, up to then, always crashed after one more "End Turn". And, surprisingly, it worked. I played for quite a while (about 20 turns) Until I got annoyed and gave up after a unstoppable rebellion that kept reappearing and growing in size.
I then started a German campaign which, unfortunately, didn't go quite as smoothly. After about 7 turns the French invaded and batting them off like flies I prepared for a counterattack, at which point the game crashed.

EDIT: Changing the "frontend" music file seems to have given my German campaign a few extra years... But alas, eventually i reached the inevitable point of CTD.

Baron von Manteuffel
07-03-2007, 16:01
Looking at the Norse in the startpos file SetNeighbours:: ID_SPANISH_COAST "North-West North Atlantic Ocean" is listed as a neighbor of ID_MUSCOVY "Godthab" but it's not. It neighbors ID_SMOLENSK "Julianehab on the campaign map, and that's not listed in the startpos file SetNeighbours:: . This may be part of the problem for the Norse. ~;)

amarok
07-03-2007, 18:00
Sorry to pile on :-) This is great work, with amazing potential!!!

We all just need to be patient for it to develop into what it can be.

That being said - my issues were as follows...

I played Toulouse for my first game (playing with 1.3 patch) - and there was a problem with the rebels (not east of me - they were fine), but the group west of me (at Montsegur Castle) there were about 4 or 5 units and I wanted to try to bribe them (NO matteosartori or any cheats of any kind on - just able to see them because they were adjacent) and when I clicked on them, including the leader 'Gutxi Urtzi' I received the 'no portraits for this type of unit' error. There were three types of rebels in this stack - 'toulouse communal militia', 'southern miles' and the kind that look like feudal seargants.

The units in my starting Toulouse stack- including 'Toulouse Communal Militia' and 'Southern Miles' were fine - but the rebels of same type were not.

Anyway, I quickly pressed ESC to get past that error, BUT got a CTD when I pressed 'End Turn' for the first time.

One other thing (possible explanantion for some of the problems some of us might be having)...
I noticed in my Total War folder (where I had placed an unmodded VI 2.01) that there were two 'medieval - total war' folders - which I believe held the patches. I manually cut and pasted these over - but what was interesting is that they had not defaulted to my 'Total War' folder (which I was using to paste in the mod), but they were set to 'Medieval - Total War', and thus weren't automatically over-writing my 1.0 install.

Hope that helps.

I might have been doing something screwy with my folders and names, but just wanted to mention that pathing folder issue in case there is anything to it. Would the order matter when I cut and pasted over those additional (patch) files?

- amarok

07-03-2007, 18:37
Baron I will look into that mate, I've made some changes but haven't tried them yet.

Amarok you say there was a problem with the rebel leader's portrait? Or the info pics? I'll check that out.

Baron von Manteuffel
07-03-2007, 22:57
Kingdom of Argyll: Mull and Kintyre, are both within the North Irish Sea which is their only immediate neighbor. The startpos file indicates they are also neighbored by the East-Central North Atlantic Ocean, but they are not. The East-Central North Atlantic Ocean neighbors the North Irish Sea, but not Mull or Kintyre. Hope this helps. ~;)

Zathernon
07-04-2007, 12:46
The Danes are working fine. It is the year 1247 and all is well.
Had a few CTD's until the the anti-virus was shut and changed the screen setting. Then about 80 years with no problem. Haven't had to auto-calc in 80 years!
The only odd thing is a shaman appears in the central-north atlantic.
The message portraits for the Algonquin and the Dorset Eskimo's are blank.
Updated to 1.3. I did not try the 1.2 because the first download got corupted.
Thanks a bunch BKB, I'm going to have to try one of the lesser factions.

The Algonquin emmisaries portraits have large pixels, so the portraits look cubanist.
The Dorset Eskimo's portriats are ok.
I really enjoy this version.

07-04-2007, 20:45
Great news mate, that's almost 100 years! I haven't really tried the Danes in detail but perhaps they are one of the more stable factions. You perhaps should try some others to see if your version is more stable due to the changes you have made.

The messages things should be blank mate, I didn't want them having Muslim ones. The portraits are slightly blurry but I had to rescale some pics to fit properly.

The Shaman thing is strange.

Zathernon
07-05-2007, 03:05
Well I already have , in the County of Toulouse.
It is 1213 A.D. and so far things are normal. So normal that my so-called ally, ( aragon ) ,stabbed me in the back by attacking Count William V's land of Landuedoc. Fortune was with me for the neccessary security forces were already in place. Aragon will rue the day of it's folly.

As you already know, the rebel land of Foix has a portait problem.
I don't want to name names but Zorian Bixente and Eztebe Asentizo are two of the faceless individuals.
The only situation that befalls me is about the "Protector of the Cathars" award.
It looks to give added peity of three , but both, make that the three times I used it the general lost what little piety he did have.
The Catharist Church is in Provence if that helps.

btw: I am useing the Catalyst with the 8.383.0.0 driver dated june 13 2007.
for the ati 9700 v-card.........

.........Now it is 1287 and the Genoese attacked and assaulted Marseille Castle in Provence. In the battle deployment screen, the movie window was just black.
In the 3D battle there was no castle with catapults, just an open field with grassey knolls. The 120 UMs withdrew and now the 307 Genoese are in complete control of provence.
In the previous Danish campaign, the Danes attacked Anglesey. There was a V.I. early fortification on the map, yet in the battle, just the same open field. Scandinavian Mercenaries versus 6 ponies, the rest of the army played cards.

The "Protector of the Cathars" is now in Aragon. When I put it on a general, he gained 3 Dread, 1 Acumen and 1 Command. He lost 1 loyalty and 3 Piety.

07-05-2007, 13:27
Wow Zathernon mate it sounds like your version is even better than mine! :laugh4: I have made a note of all those problems and they all sound quite fixable, I'll get onto it.

I just wonder why your version is working so well, as I intended (but I have to admit I've not even got to 1287 with the Toulousains, for one reason or another. Now if you manage to get a good way in with the Norse I'll know for certain you are truly blessed!

naut
07-06-2007, 13:28
Terrific!

Although just played as the Norse and had a CTD at 1166, it autosaved the turn before too. I loaded again and it crashed again. I'll post more info when I have more info.

Edit: BKB would it be at all possible if I could borrow your Connacht graphics for BDTW?

07-06-2007, 17:04
Sure mate. Hopefully you can give me as much info as possible on that crash. I'm personally waiting to see if Zathernon plays as them and how far he gets.

Riadach
07-07-2007, 01:11
Looks like an excellent mod i must say, but unfortunately no campaign for me seems to work. I've tried Connacht (a few times), the Uí Néill and Dorset Eskimo but everytime it crashes just after the loading screen is complete. All it shows me is the map, some labels and before i even get to move my mouse the screen goes blank. I had reinstalled my tw vi and dowloaded each of the patches and ran them but still no joy.

naut
07-07-2007, 09:55
Try changing your graphics card AA to x2 Riadach.

Riadach
07-07-2007, 20:21
And how on god's green earth does one do that? :-)

Riadach
07-08-2007, 13:57
crisis averted, it was a question of resolution apparently. Still only lasted 30 years on connacht though.

Zathernon
07-09-2007, 00:14
http://primeupload.com/file/125736/The-Norse-181.cpg.html
It took 4 tries to get: 3,782,717 bytes size
To test the download 3,784,704 bytes size on disk

Norse 1181 A.D.
Could not get past 1160 unless I did absolutley nothing but click "End Year".
Then it would ctd again.
In the very beginning of the game, Took all knarrs out of the East Davis Strait, Northwest Atlantic Ocean, Denmark Strait and GreenLand Sea, ( did not disband, just moved them ), until 1175 thru 1181. Now have knarrs in all before mentioned sea's plus another sea in the area. I do not have a clue why this one time it went so far. 1162 was the furthest it went before......

....The Battle of Inner Greenland of 1187 went CTD after the (1)first battle, then auto-calc o.k. for the (2)second, then CTD before the (3)third battle, then restarted the game, (4)fourth battle then CTD, then restart for the another auto-calc o.k for the (5)fifth.
Continued from there to the Battle of Godthab in 1193; Battle went well.
The castle assault of Godthab went well also in 3D.
No problems in this session with the 2D map. 1198 A.D.

07-09-2007, 09:45
Some intensive testing there mate, and some interesting findings. 1160 does seem to be the usual time, I will have to investigate what it could be about that particular time that would cause a crash (the Norse use the 'Byzantine ID' by the way....)

Baron von Manteuffel
07-10-2007, 00:54
Made it to 1196 with Norse without problems until the battle of Lower Helluland against the Eskimo. I tried the battle manually twice, and got a CTD at the end of the battle both times. Auto-battle was fine and able to proceed, although not fun. I seem to get most of my crashes now right after a manual battle. ~:confused:

07-10-2007, 10:19
Perhaps then it might have something to do with the battle itself? Was it a siege battle do you know?

Riadach
07-10-2007, 12:48
I tried my Connacht campaign again yesterday on austosave. First time is crashed in 1182 after the auto-resolved battle of Meath, reloaded again, endured the auto-resolved battle, and it crashed when the galwegians (pesky feckers) sallied out.

Baron von Manteuffel
07-10-2007, 14:40
Perhaps then it might have something to do with the battle itself? Was it a siege battle do you know?
No, there wasn't any siege equipment or cavalry involved, just infantry. I was invading with the Norse, and using mostly mercenary troops. ~;)

Zathernon
07-12-2007, 03:16
Made it to 1314 with the Ui Neill. Was preparing to attack the rebels in Alsace when it CTD,d. Could have been my machine, it is over three years old.
Have a great friendship with the Connaught. They have the other half of Ireland.
Think i'll have another look at the Norse.

P.S. In my previous Norse campaign, they had siege equipment when they assaulted Godthad; four catapults , one and half archers, and a unit of Scandinavian mercenaries.

Zathernon
07-12-2007, 06:34
Speaking of Connaught, I'm a little confused about how to do trade from there.
The Straits of Sicily(East-central north Atlantic) says it borders: Volhnia(Leinnster)no, Carpathia(Meath)no, Kiev(Connaught)yes, Pereyaslavl(Munster)no
Kiev says it borders : Central Med(N Irish sea)no, Gulf of Sidra, (S Irish sea) no, Prussia(lesser Iceland sea)no, Volga Bulgaria(Greater Iceland Sea)no, Afrika Coast(Greenland Sea)no

I must be missing something here. I can import but I can't export from Connaught.
Am I reading this all wrong ?

07-12-2007, 10:23
Speaking of Connaught, I'm a little confused about how to do trade from there.
The Straits of Sicily(East-central north Atlantic) says it borders: Volhnia(Leinnster)no, Carpathia(Meath)no, Kiev(Connaught)yes, Pereyaslavl(Munster)no
Kiev says it borders : Central Med(N Irish sea)no, Gulf of Sidra, (S Irish sea) no, Prussia(lesser Iceland sea)no, Volga Bulgaria(Greater Iceland Sea)no, Afrika Coast(Greenland Sea)no

I must be missing something here. I can import but I can't export from Connaught.
Am I reading this all wrong ?

1314 is phenomenal mate, I'm amazed at some of the lengths of your games.

I've had a look at my files and the borders appear to be intact; I have corrected a lot of these though. I'm considering releasing a small patch with these amendments and some others in to see if it makes any improvements to the game.

axel
07-14-2007, 01:25
Hi mate,
I like your mod its verry good.
I did have my first CTD at 1248 turning on to 1249 AD i am playing the Kingdom of Gwynedd so i started again from my auto save and after a fue turns it CTD again at 1248/1249 AD i hope this will helps you mate i dont have more info about the CTD sry mate

Frunk
07-27-2007, 11:41
I saw this Mod and read the word 'Greenland' and I've come running, I've got your SuperMod installed at the moment as was wondering what the differences in this one are, and how I would go about installing it w/o unstalling the SuperMod.
Cheers mate, The Frunk.

gregori99
07-28-2007, 22:13
I saw this Mod and read the word 'Greenland' and I've come running, I've got your SuperMod installed at the moment as was wondering what the differences in this one are, and how I would go about installing it w/o unstalling the SuperMod.
Cheers mate, The Frunk.

Rename the directory that the Medieval - Total War directory is in to something like Medieval Total War - BKB Super Mod. Then do a completely new install of the game, including VI and patch and install this mod into that directory. I keep a clean unused installation and just copy the Medieval - Total War directory to a new base directory whenever I want to install a new mod. In this case the new base directory would be Medieval Total War - Age of Warlords. You can call it what you want of course.

TheLastJanissary
07-29-2007, 23:18
Great work BKB! I played for quite some time as the Algonquins and had no problems. I'm just happy to finally get to control some Native Americans and beat down the European invaders. Speaking of which, have you ever considered a MTW1 mod that focuses on the South American colonization and the Aztecs? Fascinating period of time that I don't think has been explored for this game. I dislike the new campaign/strategy map style they put in place on Rome, so this is probably the ultimate TW game for me.

Anybody figure out the why the Angevin unit prod makes Gnome freeze up by the way? I got the freeze on unit 202 as well, but I'd really like to fiddle around with the stats. The mod itself is working very well though.

Wladyslaw IV
07-30-2007, 01:57
Is this still being worked on BKB?

Also, the new map leaves a little to be disired. Any way to make less provinces but a bigger (area) map? France and England probably are the only two countries worth playing, plus North America isn't that big (in the mod).

07-30-2007, 22:53
Is this still being worked on BKB?

Also, the new map leaves a little to be disired. Any way to make less provinces but a bigger (area) map? France and England probably are the only two countries worth playing, plus North America isn't that big (in the mod).

I take it your not a modder?

Wladyslaw IV
07-31-2007, 11:01
I take it your not a modder?

How'd you tell? :yes:

Anyway the map in your supermod is just great. Really depics the sketchyness of a Medieval map. I've only been able to try out the first era though.

I guess it is too much to redo the map for warlords. I have no idea how much time would have to go in to it.

I have a question. Would it be possible in warlords to do the map in such that you squeeze North America and Europe together more, ahistorically, and then add new provinces? That would rock.

Frunk
08-02-2007, 11:32
BKB, I'm downloading this thing as I write this, what exactly is this mod up to in terms on completion?

Anyway, it looks good. Cheers mate, The Frunk.

Scurvy
08-02-2007, 13:24
Would it be possible in warlords to do the map in such that you squeeze North America and Europe together more, ahistorically, and then add new provinces? That would rock.

:hourglass:

Very nice mod, i have played many years as the kingdom of Argyll with no problems at all

:2thumbsup:

FrisianDude
08-16-2007, 19:46
Hi, I tried playing this mod (after installing it, and it's two patches on the first page of this thread) but when I wanted to play the mod, the game'd start without the mod (as usual MTW BI- gold edition):dizzy2:

so maybe someone (or sometwo) could explain to me what I'm doing wrong?:sweatdrop:
:smash:
:inquisitive:

Zathernon
08-19-2007, 04:55
FrisianDude , I'll give it a try, but know there is more than one way to load a Mod. Here is one example:

1. Start with a fresh install of MTW:VI with the 2.01 patch. Your version may already have the patch on it from the CD.
2. Assume you installed it to the default setting; C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War
3. Create a new destination in your "C" drive by creating a new "Folder" in your "C" drive and rename it ( AoWProgram Files ).
4. Open your new "AoWProgram Files" folder , create a new folder in it and rename it ( Total War ).
5. Now Copy the "Medieval-Total" folder from ( C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War ) and Paste it into the "Total War" folder of (C:\AoWProgram Files\Total War ) that you had created earlier.
6. Go To http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/18038/t/Age-of-Warlords-Version-1-0-Released-.html
7. DownLoad all three files and install them in order. 1.0 , 1.2 then 1.3 in that order.
8. When you start the installer from the downloaded files, the destination by default is ( C:\Program Files\Total War ).
9. Click the Browse tab in the installer and find ( C:\AoWProgram Files\Total War ). Install there.

Doe this help ?

FrisianDude
08-19-2007, 11:37
afraid it doesn't...:embarassed:
maybe that'll have something to do with the fact that I've got MTW:VI gold edition?:dizzy2:

Zathernon
08-23-2007, 04:54
MEDIEVAL: TOTAL WARTM GOLD EDITION PATCH
The exe file that comes with the Sega Medieval Gold edition is version 2.0. This patch will update it to version 2.01. This isn't necessary for those of you who have purchased the Eras pack as this already comes patched to 2.01.

Instructions:
The installation of this file must be done manually as follows.
Download the file and replace your current executable with this one. It's probably best if you retain a backup of your old one. By default, the destination folder Medieval Gold installs to is "C:Program FilesThe Creative AssemblyMedieval - Total War - Gold Edition".

Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Download the patch

http://downloads.sega-europe.com/patch/med_tw/Medieval_TW.exe

have you done this yet ?

FrisianDude
08-24-2007, 13:10
no.. ehh how do I install it? when I click on "open" after downloading it, it says something that BUGSLAYERUTIL.DLL can't be found that I have to re-install that.. :dizzy2:

Zathernon
08-25-2007, 12:56
If you have a "short-cut'" to MTW:VI on your "Desktop", Right-Click it, then go to Properties/Find Target, the MTW:VI battle flag icon is what you want to replace with the one you down-loaded.

The down loaded executable should have 7,079,107 bytes.

Davidian
09-02-2007, 13:10
I hate to say it mate but it keeps crashing 5 years in for me with allot of factions:(

Its mostly random but i dont know what triggers is.

I do have to say that wow the AI alliences actually mean something. They help me allot.

Edit: It happens around 1160 i think.

Edit: I can confirm, on 1160 excactly it CTD's.

Davidian
09-10-2007, 07:50
Can you give a status report on the 1160 bug?

And is there anything we can do to help?

axel
10-15-2007, 22:29
Hi mate
are you still working on the crash problem do you need more info mate???

Brynjolfr
11-11-2007, 22:04
I really love the new music in AoW. Anyone who knows where to find the files for them? I'd like to add them to a Windows Mediaplayer-playlist. I've searched the "Medieval-Total War\Sounds\Music" folder, but they're not there :(

Also: when I play as the european factions in the campaign, I only hear the original Medieval: Total War music; I only hear the AoW music when playing as Eskimoes and Algonquin. How do I make the new music "hearable" for european factions?

P.S: I recognize one of those tracks from a movie. Could that be true, BKB?

Brynjolfr
11-13-2007, 19:44
I really love the new music in AoW. Anyone who knows where to find the files for them? I'd like to add them to a Windows Mediaplayer-playlist. I've searched the "Medieval-Total War\Sounds\Music" folder, but they're not there :(

Also: when I play as the european factions in the campaign, I only hear the original Medieval: Total War music; I only hear the AoW music when playing as Eskimoes and Algonquin. How do I make the new music "hearable" for european factions?

P.S: I recognize one of those tracks from a movie. Could that be true, BKB?

Never mind my previous post; I've found them. I looks like they just had the same filenames as the "vanilla" Medieval tracks. Still, I'd like to know if my theory (that one of the tracks are from a movie) is true!

Baron von Manteuffel
11-14-2007, 12:58
The Last of the Mohicans. :yes:

Hound of Ulster
11-27-2007, 18:43
good choice! Go Clannad! Go Chieftians!

Zathernon
11-29-2007, 08:03
"with knowledge comes sadness" Him

let's hope this mod continues for us as we who know that history is but a reflection of our own minds,,,

Wladyslaw IV
12-01-2007, 10:43
I'm redownloading this. The eskimos or Alogonquins seem like fun. :2thumbsup:

Brynjolfr
12-09-2007, 18:29
I LOVE this mod! The only problem with it though is that two settlements seem to have been missplaced! Dublin should be by the coast, but is instead located in the inland of Ireland. Bergen has been placed on the site of Oslo, so it should be renamed to Oslo.

Calypze
12-18-2007, 13:43
This seems to be a very interesting mod. Is it stable (also on Vista?) when it's patched and all?

Baron von Manteuffel
12-18-2007, 15:34
This seems to be a very interesting mod. Is it stable (also on Vista?) when it's patched and all?
No offence intended, but I always had stability problems with this mod. I kept waiting for an additional patch, but it never came. I think BKB is concentrating on other projects, but I don't know for sure, so don't quote me on that. I believe part of the problem is video driver related. If you have the latest drivers, you may have some trouble running Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion, which is becoming a little dated. I'm no computer expert, but I would expect some kind of conflict with the Vista Operating System. Anyone with knowledge on this, feel free to blast what I just said, or just chime in. Just trying to help, LOL. ~:)

Kaidonni
12-19-2007, 15:11
I have problems running this mod...the Kingdom of Connaught crashed before it even showed the campaign map. MTW: Gold runs perfect on the computer, so I know that it was something to do with the mod...

Wladyslaw IV
12-25-2007, 23:56
I have problems running this mod...the Kingdom of Connaught crashed before it even showed the campaign map. MTW: Gold runs perfect on the computer, so I know that it was something to do with the mod...

Not to worry, I'm sure there'll be more versions in time.

Quinn Inuit
12-29-2007, 16:27
I'm curious--why use Eskimo rather than Iroquois as a New World faction? The Iroquois were much more powerful and numerous.

12-29-2007, 17:30
There are two indian factions. The Inuit and Algonquin confederacy. It is actually a little early in the time period for the Iroquois

dimitrios the samian
12-30-2007, 02:26
Good to see you back BKB ,, I heard that you also somehow managed to utilize different fortifications bifs for various factions on the campaign map ,, I checked the screenies without seeing this ,, Did you actually do it ?
>> check the alchemist lab if your curious ,, cheers ,, DTS

Quinn Inuit
01-07-2008, 01:53
There are two indian factions. The Inuit and Algonquin confederacy. It is actually a little early in the time period for the Iroquois

Not really, at least for the High Middle Ages. The Haudenosaunee Confederacy probably formed in the mid-1100s, and there's solid evidence that the Iroquois were powerful tribes individually prior to that. (Full disclosure: A close relative of mine is a history professor who has done a great deal of work on the Iroquois, so I'm biased. :) )

As for the Inuit, I respect them a great deal (hence my username), but they never really had any impact on anything. I mean, they had extremely low population levels and routinely got pwned in inter-tribal conflicts. In fact, that's why they got stuck up north where they did--they were forced out of the better lands. I would do two Algonquin factions before doing the Inuit. They just weren't very relevant.

Wladyslaw IV
01-08-2008, 22:49
Can the Alogonquin build ships to make it to Europe? Ahistorical, but interesting concept. I'd rather see the mod be kept historical anyway.

And maybe they shouldn't own all of the NA mainland, give them something to do/conquer. All in all still a lovely mod. :coffeenews:

Maybe at least upping rebellion risks for North America would be a good thing. 1, it'll keep the Alogonquins busy just holding NA, and 2, it will make it hard for the European player to hold long what he can take (like actual history).

:coffeenews:

greatwhitehunter
03-14-2008, 14:11
BKB,

I have MTW Gold Edition. When I try to install the mod it creates a "Total War" folder. I believe that my similar folder is "The Creative Assembly/MTW Gold Edition" or something along those lines. I've installed 3 other MTW mods (PMTW and XL MOD) by directing the install to the MTW Gold Edition and things have worked out well. I can't get the same success with your mod. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, I tried to copy the folders from inside the folder created by your mod "Total War" and pasted them in my "Medieval Total War Gold Edition" folder and overwrote the matching files. When I did that I got the same error as "Scotty" did on his Post, which was something about Dorset....

What am I missing?:help:

Wladyslaw IV
04-30-2008, 09:39
The main download link is not working. Does anyone have it that maybe they can also rehost it?

Obliqueattack
05-20-2008, 12:30
:help: Hello!
Has anybody with MTW Gold edition got Age of Warlords to work?
I've had the same problem as Great White Hunter wrote about recently on March 14 2008
"Unknown faction label used to indicate unit advantage: column 12, row 176
FN_DORSET"
I couldn't find a reply to Great White Hunter's post.
Any advice from Gold edition owners would be welcome.
Thanks

Obliqueattack
05-20-2008, 13:57
At last, I finally figured it out for myself.
Thanks for listening anyway!

greatwhitehunter
05-30-2008, 14:29
Oblique, How did you get the problem fixed? Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

JR-
06-13-2008, 11:00
is there any hope of a final v1.4 all-in-one installer?

07-03-2008, 18:52
If you'd want that I could do it mate.

I still am very proud of this mod but I am all too aware of its instability in campaign. I have endeavoured to find a cause for the crashes but in the end gave up. It deeply upset me because I know its a grave flaw in an otherwise really good mod (even if I do say so myself). I don't know it if it was a problem with the map itself, the coding, or something else, but I tried virtually everything. Sometimes it can be very stable (Zathernon told me how he got to the 14th century once), but other times it isn't. Certain factions do better than others. It just seemed too random. This is why there was never a proper release, because the CTDs during campaign did not permit one. Having said that there is something I'd like to put in a 1.4 release - each faction had a special building/feature they started off with, which gave bonuses and a large financial income. The Isles had Iona, the Scots Scone Abbey, England the Great Port of Yarmouth, the French Notre Dame, and so forth. I loved them, but I thought they might be crashing the game and so I took them out. Turns out though clearly they weren't. I put a lot of effort into them so it would be nice to include them in a release. Maybe I'll have one last crack at trying to deciper the CTD bug now I've been away from it for a while.....

Otherwise I always felt this mod to be virtually complete (aside from proper Eskimo bifs, which were never done, and a few weapon placements for units), and a great technical achievement for Medieval. Perhaps it was overly ambitious, I don't know. But all the same I hope people can still enjoy it, if not at least for the custom battles and all the new units I created.

JR-
07-03-2008, 22:34
that would be awesome, but i respect the fact that it is your free time invested in this, and that you do have a life to lead. :)

dimitrios the samian
07-05-2008, 16:41
BKB thats brilliant news ...
When you become enthused about having a crack at this , it can only mean further improvements and perhaps a permanent fix .

highlandclansman
08-26-2008, 19:07
Yeah, I've downloaded the mod and it just has so much potential - if you made this bug-free etc this would definitely be the best mod on MTW so far.

Obliqueattack
11-01-2008, 06:25
Hi,
Like this mod, but I can't get past about 1254 as the Algonquin. It keeps crashing. All I''m doing is building canoes and having sea battles with the kingdom of man.
Also Algonquin pagan shamans are buggy. They don't appear on the map when paid for; the agent list says they exist and still shows me where they should be, but they are invisible and can't be moved.
Other times they appear and still can't be moved.
Some events such as good news (I can't remember the others) are missing their pictures.
It was fun though while it lasted.

kaiq
06-09-2009, 00:54
A problem came to stay! After downloading and installing the mod and all the patches I tried to start the game, but the error messages just pops out saying "Unable to find deadpage coords file for parsing" What should I do?

Thanks, I'd really appreciate some help mates.

gregori99
06-09-2009, 19:31
The DEADPAGE COORDS.TXT file should be in the Textures/Men subdirectory:

Medieval - Total War -> Textures -> Men

Have a look in there and if it's not there, or the directory isn't where it should be, then it's probably an installation issue. There's a long post somewhere explaining how to correct a faulty installation. It may be in the BKB Supermod thread.

kaiq
06-10-2009, 13:33
I searched for the deadpages and they're in the right directory, but it still won't work :o I followed all the installation advices Zathernon wrote on page 4 and I can clearly see the DEADPAGE COORDS.TXT file but nevertheless it still gives me the same error message

Thanks though from help mate

Stazi
01-23-2011, 01:37
I've tried to run this mod but even with all patches it was giving me errors. I made some research and found few small bugs. Small but absolutely crucial. E.g. one typo in the unit_prod file was ruining about 1/3 of the units list. I'm surprised that campaign was even starting. There were some missing units in the deadpage file too causing bodies didn't appear on the battlefield. I've corrected these bugs and prepared a little patch:
AoW_unofficial_patch_1_31.zip (http://www.filefront.com/17834878/AoW_unofficial_patch_1_31.zip)
Installation: copy the archive to game directory (the same as medieval_TW.exe) and unpack.

I can't guarantee that there are no other bugs. I didn't play even one turn - only fixed some obvious mistakes.
If you encounter any other bugs, let me know. I'll do my best to fix it.

PershsNhpios
01-23-2011, 01:58
I have never played this mod Stazi but nice work - you have done so much for the community inside of a month!

Thank you.

Raz
01-23-2011, 02:02
Wow Stazi, you're quite the talented modder. I hope you stick around these parts, this community needs a good character such as yourself. :bow:

Edit: Ah Glenn, you beat me to it. :laugh4:

Stazi
01-23-2011, 04:10
I have never played this mod Stazi but nice work - you have done so much for the community inside of a month!
I've never played this mod too. I'm trying mods one by one, searching for any interesting ideas. When I see an error I try to fix it. That's all. I like challenges like these.
First time I saw this mod, it was like - canoes on the Atlantic ocean? Indians, vikings, medieval europe all in one? WTF? But I think I'll play some turns just to see how it works. I'm particularly interested if the Indians have any chance to survive.

Wow Stazi, you're quite the talented modder.
Thanks, but its only a little text editing. I wouldn't call this modding. I feel rather like beta-tester finding bugs here and there.

Baron von Manteuffel
08-14-2011, 14:21
@ Stazi - This link is dead: http://www.filefront.com/17834878/AoW_unofficial_patch_1_31.zip

fresco
10-23-2015, 12:14
Stazi-I confirm your linked patch dont'work! Please a new link!!!

Stazi
10-25-2015, 22:17
I've never reuploaded the patch again because it was't fully working. This mod has more issues which simple text editing can't fix. I've been working on some campaign map pieces that cause crashes for me but never finished the whole thing.