PDA

View Full Version : The Cimmerians

Taranaich
06-15-2007, 19:41
Cimmeria

https://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6987/htwfactionsymbolcimmeriih7.jpg

“North of Aquilonia, the western-most Hyborian kingdom, are the Cimmerians, ferocious savages, untamed by the invaders, but advancing rapidly because of contact with them; they are the descendants of the Atlanteans, now progressing more steadily than their old enemies the Picts, who dwell in the wilderness west of Aquilonia.” – The Hyborian Age
Capital: Dun Cromnaghta
Current Ruler: Ard-Ri Cumal

The Cimmerians are a very mysterious race in the original tales, but a couple of tantalizing glimpses into their psyche and culture can be seen in Conan. According to Howard, the Gaels are the last descendents of the pure-blooded Cimmerian clans, so the faction will be based on them, with some continental Celtic and Iberian bits thrown in. Obviously they will replace Scotland, the units unique to the faction being swapped for Cimmerian ones. For some time I wasn’t sure whether the Cimmerians would actually be playable, both because of Howard’s deliberate decision to make Cimmeria a mysterious place and because they’d be a particularly powerful faction. In the end, I decided that half the fun of the game is barbarism vs. civilization, and the Cimmerians are certainly the most barbaric of all the factions! To balance it out, I decided that the numerous irregular soldiers would be very powerful, but cannot leave Cimmeria itself unless in a horde situation. The mercenaries can still leave, but will be too few in number to mount much more than border raids.

The Cimmerians have the most powerful shock infantry in the game, and even their “weakest” unit is more than a match for most other units. However, the levied units which make up the backbone of a Cimmerian army have no movement points: this means that although they will have a rough time fielding a substantial invasion force, they will find defending their settlement far easier, even against much greater numbers of foes. Only the rare and expensive mercenary units can move from their settlement, and a large number of them would be required for anything more than border raids. They are also the only faction to have no princesses: their daughters and sisters marry who they please, without any benefits of feudal arranged marriages, so princess are redundant. They do, however, have highly capable scouts, which act as “spies” on the main map: they are exceeded in skill only by the sorcerous agents of Stygia and Zamora. Their Assassins are not so much hired blades as highly brutal counterparts to the scout.

Rather than being called Priests and Diplomats, the Cimmerian versions of the priest and diplomat are instead called bards and elders: since Cimmeria has no official religious system they have no priests, and they have no need for silver-tongued politicians. Instead they have travelling storytellers who tell great tales of Crom and the dark heroes of the Cimmerian race, which fulfill many of the functions as a priest; similarly, a tribes’ oldest member is frequently the most respected, and so it is they who work as emissaries to other tribes and nearby barbarians. Their armies mostly consist of stalwart clansmen (the strongest “peasants” in the game), irregular soldiers akin to Irish kerns, and wandering mercenaries akin to galloglasses. None of the irregular soldiers wear armour as Cimmeria is a hazardous enough place without armour to impede their movement, but have incredibly strong attack and fortitude. Some mercenaries do wear heavy armour, but these warriors are used to fighting the heavily armoured soldiers of the southern kingdoms rather than among their fellow barbarians.

Units

https://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2037/h2twcimmerianhighlanderif0.jpg
The average Cimmerian ceitherne, or warband, is worth ten civilized men in battle, twenty in defense of their land. Dour and moody, they are ferocious warriors when defending their lands or avenging a slight against their clan, but they have little patience or interest in invasions or sieges.

https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6246/h2twcimmerianwarriorstf7.jpg
Although every Cimmerian is a warrior when the times demand it, many Cimmerian men enjoy the bloody rage of battle enough to take it up as a vocation, as a member of the bonnachta (paid warriors). They can be found as mercenaries for Hyborian kingdoms, or tagging along with other Cimmerian or Nordic campaigns when their own tribe is at relative peace.

https://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5601/h2twcimmerianslayersys0.jpg
Cimmerian rastriagha (berserkers) are obsessive warriors, adventuring and plundering their Nordic neighbours and the soft Hyborian lands to the south. They wield big nasty claymores, useful for splitting the skulls of savages and discourteous civilized folks alike. They frequently enter a trance-like state of gloominess and emptiness, where they would lose themselves entirely in the bloodshed. Unlike their lusty and hearty Nordic neighbours, Cimmerian berserkers are unsettlingly emotionless and silent, never uttering a word during their cold, relentless reaping of heads and lives.

https://img509.imageshack.us/img509/385/h2twcimmeriandestroyersvc8.jpg
Some professional Cimmerian warriors prefer the use of a great axe to a claymore, and utilize great skill in crushing bone and plate armour with their mighty weapons. These warriors, the Scriostóira (destroyers), are frequently found on the borders of Aquilonia and the wild Border Kingdom, where plate-armoured knights are more likely to be on the other side of a battleground. They are every bit as deadly as the rastriagha, although they require much greater control of their minds considering the caliber of their chosen nemesis, the heavily armoured juggernauts of the Hyborian lands.

SigniferOne
08-02-2007, 18:43
Wow, fantastic body textures and overall feel of the faction. How did you manage to make it that levies have zero movement points?

Taranaich
08-02-2007, 21:18
Erm, well to be truthful I haven't, I kind of hoped that I'd figure it out at some point :shame:

If I can't get it to work, then they'll still be powerful, but have a negative effect on public order in settlements due to lack of battles, so they should only be recruited when the enemy's right on your doorstep.

grudzio
08-03-2007, 19:51
The Cimmerians have the most powerful shock infantry in the game, and even their “weakest” unit is more than a match for most other units. However, the levied units which make up the backbone of a Cimmerian army have no movement points:

Erm, well to be truthful I haven't, I kind of hoped that I'd figure it out at some point

Maybe you can do it by scripting. The levies cannot be recruited but if an enemy approaches (besieges) Cimmerian city, a script pops some units in the city (the army size can depend on city size). When enemy moves away from the city (or breaks the siege), the defending army is removed.

grudzio
08-03-2007, 20:04
Something similar to what I wrote is done in Deus Volt (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=71528) mod. (Sorry for another post, I cannot edit my posts)

Taranaich
08-04-2007, 16:33
I'm pretty sure it's possible to give levies no movement points, otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up: I had hoped it wouldn't involve scripting, but if it does I'll give it a shot.

There are a lot of elements of DLV that would work great in HTW, suitably adjusted to work in a Hyborian context, hopefully I can get some of those things working in the mod.:book:

russia almighty
08-05-2007, 06:29
Dude as Conan first thing I'm gonna do is pwn them . Then make everyone's son become educated so I got a pool of Conniving , literate mofo's .

Cadwalader
09-04-2007, 18:05
What will be the victory condition for them? To pillage the civilised lands? That would be cool. When you're strong enough, you steamroll all the south with your unstoppable horde.

Taranaich
09-04-2007, 22:00
The mod will have two victory conditions, one based on outright conquest, and one based on the Hyborian Age essay. These will replace the long/short campaigns.

The former will require you to unite Cimmeria, destroy the Picts, capture a decent number of settlements, and pillage the major Hyborian capitals at least once for fun and profit. This will be tricky, as the AEsir and Vanir have the same goals as you (except they have to destroy one another instead of the Picts), so it would probably be better for the player to let them fight over the north with the Hyperboreans, while you rampage over the southern lands.

The second I'm still working on, but it will be extremely tricky: you have to do all of the above, PLUS eliminate/outlast Turan and conquer it's core settlements, all before the Coming of the Ice.

Basically, the Coming of the Ice is an event that causes massive glacial changes in the north, where the northern lands basically become inhabitable, and your people must migrate south. I plan on doing this by making a script that causes massive penalties to population growth, ensuring that the northern provinces are completely impossible to stay in. I'm not sure whether winning before this should be a victory condition, or whether you can still win after the Ice comes, depending on how hard it is to achieve the other conditions.